ADVERTISEMENT

Should we give another QB a look?

LeFors4Ever

Three-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
I love Malik and he did great things for us last year, but he's not delivering at the rate we need him to do this year. Whether it's injuries or not, he needs some motivation.

Remember, there were times last year we'd throw Evan Conley in games and he'd give us a spark. Puma seemed to look good against ND last year, I don't know what his status is this year, but he looked good enough to be the starter early on last season.

My thoughts are, if Malik isn't the guy then we may need to look at all of our option. Just say Hawkins & Tutu go to the draft along with losing Dez, do we think Malik can carry a team without those playmakers? Not saying he can't, but they are questions I'd like answered because I wouldn't want Evan or Tee to transfer without seeing what they got.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I think the #2 ought to get snaps every game. If he moves the team after #1 didn’t? Leave him in there.

It won’t hurt the 1 to view the game from the “outside” for a while. Howard Schnellenberger did it a lot.

I

Reactions: Mayoman and PHCARD
How many fumbles would the guys have with Conley? Not a Malik issue. How is the O line going to hold up any better with Conley vs Malik. I agree Malik seems to be very uncomfortable. Maybe it's the play calling? Zero interceptions. I know I would like to see more north to south vs all the east to west. I had someone watching with me that kept screaming throw the ball up the middle.

It really seems to be TEAM issues. Something is not right with the UofL team besides Becton being gone. But then again it's 2020 and many things suck.

How many fumbles would the guys have with Conley? Not a Malik issue. How is the O line going to hold up any better with Conley vs Malik. I agree Malik seems to be very uncomfortable. Maybe it's the play calling? Zero interceptions. I know I would like to see more north to south vs all the east to west. I had someone watching with me that kept screaming throw the ball up the middle.

It really seems to be TEAM issues. Something is not right with the UofL team besides Becton being gone. But then again it's 2020 and many things suck.
5 interceptions in 4 games is a Malik problem though. And to put that in context, he threw 5 interceptions total all of last season.

He's thrown 124 passes already this season & last year he threw 179. Teams have cut-off the big-play and are daring us to make quick decisions in short yard situations.

Against Pitt he was 9 for 21(42%). 1 TD & 3 picks
Against GT he was 19 for 33(58%). 2 TDs
Against WKU he was 19 for 34(56%). 3 TDs & 1 pick

The Miami game he was 26 for 36 (72%) , 3 TDs & 1 pick

He only has 72 total rushing yards all season, that a big key.

A lot of that can be placed on the line, but this isn't the hardest portion of our schedule. His legs are supposed to make up for his lack of accuracy & bad line play. But if he isn't making plays with his legs and making bad decisions, is he the guy we need?

There are more issues (Defense!), but I think it would be nice to see if another QB could lead the offense better and possibly control the clock a bit more.

Numerous people say MC is "hesitating", and slow in his decision making. "Maybe" this is why the OL is "holding up".

Conley may not need as much time "if" he sees a target.

Hit some short ones, and the long ones will open back up

Maybe ;)

Reactions: PHCARD

There were at least 4 overthrown balls against Georgia Tech that would have been TD's and I'm not counting the drop at the beginning.

Malik has a short hitch in his throws, more so than last year. Notice it in his longer passes, like he is trying to put more juice in the throw. That gives defenders an extra split second to make up ground, and more overthrows.

Benching your starting QB if only for a series or two would likely send a message to the team. No one is irreplaceable. There's always someone ready to jump in and play if you're not doing your job up to standards.

Hate to say it, but he is small and injury prone, so its a matter of time before this happens, anyways!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT