ADVERTISEMENT

Should Petrino pulled Lamar at halftime, of the UofL bowl game???

jalovell23

2000+
Jul 8, 2007
Boone County
After watching Saban pull his starting QB Hurts (who was 25-2 as a starter) at halftime of the championship game and put in a freshman QB. Should Petrino done the same with Lamar at the UofL vs Miss St game??

Why? UofL was leading at the half and Bama was losing and scoreless?

What are you suggesting by doing this? Please expound upon your question and logic for doing so.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I think the more appropriate time to pull him would have been after pick 3. But if you take Lamar Jackson out of his last game pretty sure you’ll lose the fan base if we lost. Which happened anyway.

After watching Saban pull his starting QB Hurts (who was 25-2 as a starter) at halftime of the championship game and put in a freshman QB. Should Petrino done the same with Lamar at the UofL vs Miss St game??

This is stupid. Do you have some reason to believe Pass would have put us in a better position to win?

But if you take Lamar Jackson out of his last game pretty sure you’ll lose the fan base if we lost. Which happened anyway.

Lose the fanbase?

Much of the fanbase is sitting with folded arms now.

The meltdown to end last year started the ball rolling. Uninspired play in several games this year didn't help.

Gaping holes in the roster. Defense can't tackle or cover, and Petrino won't let em practice it. Just now starting to recruit like we give a chit. Fans just "hoping" for a bowl next year. Just like uk fans. :rolleyes:

So benching LJ would have just been another WTF moment.

But what the hell. It could be worse. We'll see what Posthole does now.

A friend of mine mentioned to me that Jackson should have been benched during the game at some point his play was so bad. I think players should be pushed if they are not performing. Lefors was motivated by having Brohm right behind him and getting snaps. Jackson apparently never had to worry about something like that. I thought Pass should have gotten more time during the year in games when we had big leads because next year he is going to be green. Petrino really seemed to handle Lamar with kid gloves and it is not going to be that way in the NFL. Just another part of Petrino 2.0 that I don't like.

We weren’t making the POs.

We weren’t going to win the Division.

LJ wasn’t winning the Heisman OR getting NFL ready under center.

So WHY couldn’t JP have gotten some more snaps this year?

What did we gain by LJ taking every snap? Not even a bowl win.

I am all for hypotheticals and conversation provoking threads but this one tops the cake. Wow.

Yup, let's bench arguably the best football player (little argument in my opinion) to ever put on a Cardinals uniform during a meaningless bowl game which we all knew would ultimately be his last game as a Cardinal.

I sure wish Dabo would have pulled Deshaun Watson after his 3rd INT in the 2016 thriller in Death Valley.

Lamar did not win the Heisman because he is an accomplished quarterback and he still isn't an accomplished quarterback. I just don't understand why anyone would want to keep him on the field being thrown into the same situations where he makes the same mistakes. It didn't help him and it clearly didn't help the team. He has a lot to learn. Pulling him for a series or two and trying something else could have been worthwhile. I am all for winning and whatever it takes to do that. If a guy gets his feelings hurt in the process, then he needs to grow up. Next year we start the season with a guy has almost no meaningful reps against the top program in college football and maybe the best coach of all time. Petrino was very short sighted in his decision to allow Lamar to suck up all the minutes even in blowouts just to generate numbers in hope of pursuing another Heisman. This program is a going concern, not based on one player.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Lamar did not win the Heisman because he is an accomplished quarterback and he still isn't an accomplished quarterback. I just don't understand why anyone would want to keep him on the field being thrown into the same situations where he makes the same mistakes. It didn't help him and it clearly didn't help the team. He has a lot to learn. Pulling him for a series or two and trying something else could have been worthwhile. I am all for winning and whatever it takes to do that. If a guy gets his feelings hurt in the process, then he needs to grow up. Next year we start the season with a guy has almost no meaningful reps against the top program in college football and maybe the best coach of all time. Petrino was very short sighted in his decision to allow Lamar to suck up all the minutes even in blowouts just to generate numbers in hope of pursuing another Heisman. This program is a going concern, not based on one player.
Ah jeez. You’re right, Bobby signed on to make sure LJ won another Heisman ( at all costs to his job) and I’m sure LJ promised him a percentage of his future earnings.

Please sell crazy elsewhere and/or troll elsewhere. Whichever you choose.

I remember watching us kick Alabama’s ass in the 1990-91 Fiesta Bowl and watching a young Jeff Brohm come in for a few plays in the 2nd half, replacing Browning Nagle. And boy was he awful. So much so that I thought, wow, were going downhill from here. That was a future UofL Star in a no- lose situation and he was horrible.

I love Pass but it’s really nuts to talk about him replacing in that intense situation the most talented offensive player in Louisville history, because he struggled at times. One guy that every D-coordinator will tell you, singlehandedly, can take any game over at any time.

Jalen Hurts is a great kid and an overachiever. He’s also not in LJ’s League.

Last edited:
I sure wish Dabo would have pulled Deshaun Watson after his 3rd INT in the 2016 thriller in Death Valley.

In that game Watson was 20-31 with 5 touchdowns and 400 yards passing and rushing. Jackson against MSU was 13-31 with 4 interceptions. Not sure what your point is but I guess it seemed clever at the time.

You answered your own question. LJ doesn’t learn anything by being pulled and watching from the sidelines. He learns from making mistakes and maybe he reacts differently if placed in a similar scenario.

You answered your own question. LJ doesn’t learn anything by being pulled and watching from the sidelines. He learns from making mistakes and maybe he reacts differently if placed in a similar scenario.

Using that logic, no player would ever be replaced for poor play and Reggie would have finished his career as our starting QB.

I remember watching us kick Alabama’s ass in the 1990-91 Fiesta Bowl and watching a young Jeff Brohm come in for a few plays in the 2nd half,and
I was there too.

Yes he was awful. The the pick 6 gave Bama there only points IIRC

But the point is, Schnellenberger had the FB knowledge to know JB was
Going to be in that position again one day. He gave him a taste of experience.

Half the board thought LJ should sit out the bowl game, but it’s blasphemy to take him out for a series or two in other meaningless games?

Regardless how good LJ is, we were an 8-5 also ran in the ACC.

Now, we get to play AL with essentially ZERO experience at QB.

I’m looking forward to that. :rolleyes:

In that game Watson was 20-31 with 5 touchdowns and 400 yards passing and rushing. Jackson against MSU was 13-31 with 4 interceptions. Not sure what your point is but I guess it seemed clever at the time.
Way to mislead there troll. The point was Watson ended up with 5 TD passes and led his team from behind because Dabo left him in after he threw 3 Picks.

And by the way, how idiotic is it to rip Lamar when he accounted for 171 yards passing and 158 yards rushing, good for 329 of Louisville’s 358 total yards and doing it while running for his life. Our 3 running backs had 29 yards on 15 carries against MSU. I guess BP should have put Pass in with no running game and prayed for a miracle. Good Lord.

Are you sure you’re not another recreation of Jay Reimenschneider/Card fan1130? You know, the dimwit/troll who used to post here saying Lamar was just not a D-1 Quarterback.

Reactions: BPGhost
I was there too.

Yes he was awful. The the pick 6 gave Bama there only points IIRC

But the point is, Schnellenberger had the FB knowledge to know JB was
Going to be in that position again one day. He gave him a taste of experience.

Half the board thought LJ should sit out the bowl game, but it’s blasphemy to take him out for a series or two in other meaningless games?

Regardless how good LJ is, we were an 8-5 also ran in the ACC.

Now, we get to play AL with essentially ZERO experience at QB.

I’m looking forward to that. :rolleyes:
It’s not blasphemy, just idiotic. That is, if your trying to win the game.

If your just worried about Pass getting more reps in preparation for next year and you don’t care about the so called meaningless Bowl game, then that’s a totally different argument.

Not sure replacing your Heisman winning QB who accounted for 92% of Louisville’s offense in the game was the move. Not sure there was much value to Jawon’s future by putting him in late in a game in which his offensive line was leaking like a sieve and had no running game to boot.

No matter what anyone’s opinion on this is, if your BP (or any coach) you simply don’t sit down the greatest offensive college player to ever play at your school in his last game. Period.

Lamar did not win the Heisman because he is an accomplished quarterback and he still isn't an accomplished quarterback.
Oooh Boy. This moronic statement is an all timer for these boards. Not an accomplished Quarterback? Let’s see...

Lamar’s Sophomore and Junior seasons:

*Passed for 7203 Yards 57 TDs 19 INTs.

* Ran for 3178 yards

*Averaged 6.6 yards per carry

*Averaged 277 yards per game passing

*Averaged 400 yards per game Total offense.

And he did all this playing in a downfield passing offense and behind a young offensive line that was borderline awful at times and with a very mediocre running game behind him.

Excuse me?

It’s not blasphemy, just idiotic. That is, if your trying to win the game.
Yeah, I'd really liked to have hung another scalp of tradition on our Totem Pole (Schnellenberger saying), and smoked MSU. And LJ was our best shot in that game.

I was talking more about Kent, Murray etc.

DEPTH is our shortfall. Especially QUALITY (experienced) depth at all positions. And it just seems like we have opportunities to help create it, and don't.

I'm just not sure of what my lying eyes are seeing out there anymore. And it's not going to get any better when 7-6, and 8-5 coaches are demanding, and getting, $3-$4 mil contracts. Mediocrity pays well today.

I was expecting something else when CBP2 was sold to us, but in reality, in the world of big time FB today, we need to learn to be happy with those kinds of records most years.

Especially when most years we're not going to have a Heisman quality QB to carry us.

Yeah, I'd really liked to have hung another scalp of tradition on our Totem Pole (Schnellenberger saying), and smoked MSU. And LJ was our best shot in that game.

I was talking more about Kent, Murray etc.

DEPTH is our shortfall. Especially QUALITY (experienced) depth at all positions. And it just seems like we have opportunities to help create it, and don't.

I'm just not sure of what my lying eyes are seeing out there anymore. And it's not going to get any better when 7-6, and 8-5 coaches are demanding, and getting, $3-$4 mil contracts. Mediocrity pays well today.

I was expecting something else when CBP2 was sold to us, but in reality, in the world of big time FB today, we need to learn to be happy with those kinds of records most years.

Especially when most years we're not going to have a Heisman quality QB to carry us.
Agree that Pass probably should have played more against Murray and Kent. I think we’ll see BP going back to more of his old self next year. Lamar’s skill set demanded a different philosophy IMO. More downfield routes to open things up etc..

Oooh Boy. This moronic statement is an all timer for these boards. Not an accomplished Quarterback? Let’s see...

Lamar’s Sophomore and Junior seasons:

*Passed for 7203 Yards 57 TDs 19 INTs.

* Ran for 3178 yards

*Averaged 6.6 yards per carry

*Averaged 277 yards per game passing

*Averaged 400 yards per game Total offense.

And he did all this playing in a downfield passing offense and behind a young offensive line that was borderline awful at times and with a very mediocre running game behind him.

Excuse me?
You have a serious anger management issue. Have you checked your blood pressure lately?

Back to the point. I think we all know Lamar's individual accomplishments but you have to understand that even in that context, if he was an accomplished quarterback with his physical gifts and the stats you mentioned, he would be the projected number 1 over all draft pick and it would not be close. Many now have him possibly going in the 2nd round as the 7th or 8th quarterback taken. That is not me. That is some of the people who will be doing the drafting and paying him. You can throw a hissy fit about that if you want but those are facts.

if he was an accomplished quarterback with his physical gifts and the stats you mentioned, he would be the projected number 1 over all draft pick and it would not be close
Good Lord, more idiocy. So if he doesn’t get drafted 1st overall, then he is not an “accomplished” college QB? I guess Brian Brohm was just a total bum to you.

Oh, ok, now it’s about Lamar’s future in the NFL. We’ll, since you bring it up...It’s funny that 2 days before the Bowl game he was projected as the No 1 overall pick by CBS sports’ draft guy and 2 other major publications had him going in the Top 10. As it is now, he is still projected by most experts to go mid 1st round- early 2nd round. Not bad for an “unaccomplished QB”.

Your moronic statement hasn’t gained any momentum, Jay.

I loved Coach Schnellenberger's philosophy of playing the back up QB for one series every game, usually late in the second quarter. By year's end they had valuable experience. CBP laughed at that notion this past preseason when asked but I guess he has one NC like Howard did........not!

I loved Coach Schnellenberger's philosophy of playing the back up QB for one series every game, usually late in the second quarter. By year's end they had valuable experience. CBP laughed at that notion this past preseason when asked but I guess he has one NC like Howard did........not!
Seems I remember Petrino letting Freshman B. Brohm play a whole quarter in almost every game during starter Stefan LeFors’ Senior season.

I don’t know if I will give him credit but maybe CBP knew that if he had played Pass more during the season, he would have the QB controversy that Bama is having now. I just think it took all of Bobby’s focus to try to get LJ better and not have to worry about running plays for Pass. He knew that Pass was the future and it was likely that LJ was going to the NFL. It may not have played out exactly the way Bobby wanted, but giving a kid a few snaps in a bowl game wasn’t going to be respectful to either player.

Good Lord, more idiocy. So if he doesn’t get drafted 1st overall, then he is not an “accomplished” college QB? I guess Brian Brohm was just a total bum to you.

Oh, ok, now it’s about Lamar’s future in the NFL. We’ll, since you bring it up...It’s funny that 2 days before the Bowl game he was projected as the No 1 overall pick by CBS sports’ draft guy and 2 other major publications had him going in the Top 10. As it is now, he is still projected by most experts to go mid 1st round- early 2nd round. Not bad for an “unaccomplished QB”.

Your moronic statement hasn’t gained any momentum, Jay.

You are kinda missing the point so try a little harder. Brian Brohm was an accomplished quarterback but the reason he could not stick in the NFL was lack of arm. If Brian had Lamar's arm and foot speed he would have been the top over all draft pick more than likely. It is what it is. Lamar has a lot to learn about the position and must prove at some point that he can deal with all the decisions that an NFL quarterback has to make and make quickly. Now take a few deep breaths and think before you respond.

You are kinda missing the point so try a little harder. Brian Brohm was an accomplished quarterback but the reason he could not stick in the NFL was lack of arm. If Brian had Lamar's arm and foot speed he would have been the top over all draft pick more than likely. It is what it is. Lamar has a lot to learn about the position and must prove at some point that he can deal with all the decisions that an NFL quarterback has to make and make quickly. Now take a few deep breaths and think before you respond.
You keep changing the narrative Jay, (which figures). No one said LJ doesn’t have much to learn to become successful in the NFL. ALL COLLEGE QBs do. Your goofy definition of “accomplished QB” changes with each post.

And once again you are wrong. Brian Brohm wasn’t a bust in the NFL because of lack of arm strength, it was due to him not being able to deal with the speed of NFL defenses and the fact that he was extremely slow afoot. Brian’s arm was adequate enough.

Brian Brohm, who played in the Big East behind stellar offensive lines and with Michael Bush, Harry Douglas and Gary Barnidge is an Accomplished College QB (he was) but Lamar Jackson who pretty much carried the entire Louisville offense for 2 1/2 years, not so much. Heisman Trophy winner and likely 1st round draft pick, not so much. Oh ok.:confused:

Perhaps the Archery team is more your speed, UK Jay.

I'm gonna show my senility....I thought Louisville was gonna come back and win that game with Jackson catching fire like he has sooooooo many times.
A football coach job is to win. I don't know if saying a game is meaningless should ever enter a coach or players mind.
I agree you DO put in backups and second string when the game is out of hand, either a huge lead or insurmountable deficit, but if the game is there for grabs, keep riding the horses that got you there if they are available to use.

Seems I remember Petrino letting Freshman B. Brohm play a whole quarter in almost every game during starter Stefan LeFors’ Senior season.
Yeah.

But word is daddy Brohm asked for that guarantee or JB was headed to greener pastures. Illinois IIRC.

Yeah.

But word is daddy Brohm asked for that guarantee or JB was headed to greener pastures. Illinois IIRC.
Given that Illinois went 3-8 & 1-11 in 2002-03 getting Ron Turner’s ass fired - making way for the Zooker - I’d hardly say Champaign qualified as “greener pastures” - lol. I’m gonna guess Petrino saw thru that bluff and decided that playing him was a good way to get him ready for the following season.

Makes it all the more curious why - unless he was trying to get LJ a second Heisman - he didn’t do it with Pass.

Given that Illinois went 3-8 & 1-11 in 2002-03 getting Ron Turner’s ass fired - making way for the Zooker - I’d hardly say Champaign qualified as “greener pastures” - lol. I’m gonna guess Petrino saw thru that bluff and decided that playing him was a good way to get him ready for the following season.

Makes it all the more curious why - unless he was trying to get LJ a second Heisman - he didn’t do it with Pass.
I don’t think he purposely decided to try to get a 2nd Heisman but rather to prove LJ was more than just a running QB. In order to do that he felt he had to give LJ every opportunity. Maybe if we had perform better in some games, there would have more chances to play Pass.

As a Bama alum, and also a Cards fan - Jalen Hurts is NOT Lamar Jackson. Petrino ain't no idiot!! No way he pulls him!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT