ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost & Jeff Brohm

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
I have said a couple of times I don't know what direction Jeff Brohm will go but I would be surprised if he didn't come home. This reminds me of the University of Central Florida situation with Scott Frost and Nebraska. UCF was undefeated and declared themselves as a National Champion and it was recognized by the NCAA.
UCF is a large University with a fertile recruiting base and a solid fan base. Then Nebraska comes calling and he leaves all that recruiting and success behind to return home to Nebraska. The UCF fan base was certain he wouldn't leave because of all their success and the recruits he was bringing in. Doesn't this sound like the current situation with Jeff Brohm, Louisville & Purdue?

Reactions: CardCasey
I have said a couple of times I don't know what direction Jeff Brohm will go but I would be surprised if he didn't come home. This reminds me of the University of Central Florida situation with Scott Frost and Nebraska. UCF was undefeated and declared themselves as a National Champion and it was recognized by the NCAA.
UCF is a large University with a fertile recruiting base and a solid fan base. Then Nebraska comes calling and he leaves all that recruiting and success behind to return home to Nebraska. The UCF fan base was certain he wouldn't leave because of all their success and the recruits he was bringing in. Doesn't this sound like the current situation with Jeff Brohm, Louisville & Purdue?

Frost went undefeated and didn’t make the playoffs. He took UCF as far as they could go. Why stay if you go undefeated and don’t have a shot at the National Title.

No it doesn’t. UCF is in the AAC and has proven they can go undefeated and they aren’t even Top 10. Purdue is Big 10 which we can’t deny is better than the ACC. Nebraska has top notch facilities and so does Purdue. We can only hope Tyra can sell him on coming home because that’s the only selling point we have over Purdue right now.

Reactions: BleedinGold

Not really. Even with all that success, UCF isnt in a major confetence. Brohm can get Purdue to the B1G Championship and the chance to play in a big-time bowl. UCF is hurt by being a G5 team.

AAC Conference Media income shares for Central Florida = $4 million
Big Ten Media Income Share for Purdue = $52 Million

Central Florida endowment = $156 million
Purdue University Endowment = $2.4 Billion

Yep, that sounds like a valid comparison

Not really. Even with all that success, UCF isnt in a major confetence. Brohm can get Purdue to the B1G Championship and the chance to play in a big-time bowl. UCF is hurt by being a G5 team.
I don’t know why you guys think the B1G West is such a cakewalk. Wisconsin is usually very good, Iowa is good, Nebraska is going to be a handful, and Northwestern is always a PIA. Purdue will be challenged going forward. There is no easy path to the CFP, even if it goes to 16 teams.

I don’t know why you guys think the B1G West is such a cakewalk. Wisconsin is usually very good, Iowa is good, Nebraska is going to be a handful, and Northwestern is always a PIA. Purdue will be challenged going forward. There is no easy path to the CFP, even if it goes to 16 teams.

Compare that to Michigan, MSU, OSU, and Penn State. That’s not bad at all.

The decision Frost had to make was between taking the Florida job or the Nebraska job. Most assumed Florida but the ties to Nebraska were too strong.

Purdue’s Athletic budget $85M
UofL Athletics Budget $120 M

Enough said

You still don’t get it. You need a $7 million subsidy and you are spending money from your rainy day fund
to fire a coach and you think that is sound fiscal management?

Purdue’s Athletic budget $85M
UofL Athletics Budget $120 M

Enough said

You still don’t get it. You need a $7 million subsidy and you are spending money from your rainy day fund

Don’t be fooled. We’re paying Mack 4M. We were paying Pitino 7M. Vince is doing what he is to avoid taping donors. Not to mention the ACC Network along with other avenues that have yet to be announced. You clearly underestimate UofLs ability to raise funds. You just upgraded your FB facilities that are dated. We just spent 65M to upgrade facilities that were far from dated and added onto our stadium. Funds that were raised through donations. Point is will be able to match Purdue.

Last edited:
Don’t be fooled. We’re paying Mack 4M. We were paying Pitino 7M. Vince is doing what he is to avoid taping donors. Not to mention the ACC Network along with other avenues that have yet to be announced. You clearly underestimate UofLs ability to raise funds. You just upgraded your FB facilities that are dated. We just spent 65M to upgrade facilities that were far from dated and added onto our stadium. Funds that were raised through donations. Point is will be able to match Purdue.

Wow you can read a simple line on USA website. Fact is the “subsidy” you are referring is a student athletic fee, this gives students access to facilities and cheaper tickets. This fee was cut in half when Tyra took over which would not show up on your exhaustive research. Purdue has 2 similar student fees but chooses to accountant for this fee in a different manner. UofL athletic fee was started and developed and by the student govt then voted on by entire student body. Can Purdue say the same? Fact remains, Louisville can afford to pay all its coaches close to double what Purdue pays. Our baseball and WBB coaches make over a mil each for goodness sake. You pay your baseball coach $150,000? That’s embarrassing. Our last 3 DC salaries were a mil each, your highest paid football assistant was raised to $625,000 just this year. We have 3 assistant coaches paid that or higher.

Didn't think it would happen but I've finally found a topic that I hate more than fans arguing about fan attendance and thats the minutia of athletic budgets.

I mean....Louisville, Kentucky, Purdue...whoever. All major D1, P5 programs....they all have a lot of money.

Didn't think it would happen but I've finally found a topic that I hate more than fans arguing about fan attendance and thats the minutia of athletic budgets.

I mean....Louisville, Kentucky, Purdue...whoever. All major D1, P5 programs....they all have a lot of money.
Not according to coaches. Mack has already mentioned he can hop on a plane and go see anyone he wants, when he couldn’t do that in the past. One reason Jurich didn’t take the UCLA job every time it was offered was because he could not pay all the Olympic and assistant coaches a high enough salary to counter the high cost of living in LA. There is a tremendous advantage between the top revenue schools and the bottom D1 schools. Like everything else, money makes a big difference.

Many years ago sitting in the offic
Wow you can read a simple line on USA website. Fact is the “subsidy” you are referring is a student athletic fee, this gives students access to facilities and cheaper tickets. This fee was cut in half when Tyra took over which would not show up on your exhaustive research. Purdue has 2 similar student fees but chooses to accountant for this fee in a different manner. UofL athletic fee was started and developed and by the student govt then voted on by entire student body. Can Purdue say the same? Fact remains, Louisville can afford to pay all its coaches close to double what Purdue pays. Our baseball and WBB coaches make over a mil each for goodness sake. You pay your baseball coach $150,000? That’s embarrassing. Our last 3 DC salaries were a mil each, your highest paid football assistant was raised to $625,000 just this year. We have 3 assistant coaches paid that or higher.

Purdue has NO mandatory student athletic fees.

The $7 million is not limited to student athletic fee

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ins-costs-coach-salaries-subsidies/727139001/

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/10/06/Colleges/Louisville.aspx

Reports of Purdue’s athletic budget are erroneous. The $84 million figure is from two years ago The figure for 2018-19 is in excess of $100 million.

What any school pays their Olympic coaches is their own business. When you have a $120 million budget
And are losing money (per Louisville CJ) you are overspending. When you have to go to your rainy day fund
to buyout your coach you are dipping into emergency funds. That means you have a problem. The internet is full of stories about the fiscal problems your new President and AD inherited. Who loses millions in their foundation endowment funds in a period of good investment returns?

As for what you pay your DC’s. I won’t touch that one.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ins-costs-coach-salaries-subsidies/727139001/

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/10/06/Colleges/Louisville.aspx

Reports of Purdue’s athletic budget are erroneous. The $84 million figure is from two years ago The figure for 2018-19 is in excess of $100 million.

What any school pays their Olympic coaches is their own business. When you have a $120 million budget
And are losing money (per Louisville CJ) you are overspending. When you have to go to your rainy day fund
to buyout your coach you are dipping into emergency funds. That means you have a problem. The internet is full of stories about the fiscal problems your new President and AD inherited. Who loses millions in their foundation endowment funds in a period of good investment returns?

The fact you get your facts from the CJ is moronic. If we said the sky is blue the CJ would say it’s turquoise. Once again if you’re basing this argument on the fact will be inhibited by funds you’ll be sadly disappointed. The issues were having are temporary and the funding steams haven’t disappeared. And if you read about the audit you’ll see nothing was found of the illegal nature it had to do with bonuses. This is more of a political battle dealing with issues that West Lafayette will never have to deal with. Key word in all of this is temporary. You said your budget was excess of 100 M our is 120M before we start receiving the ACC network monies or the naming rights to our stadium.

The only hope you guys have is if Brohm would feel that he owes you guys more time, but given how fast he departed WKU I’m not thinking that will matter. This is for sure, if he doesn’t depart for UofL he’ll be departing for a bigger program sooner than later. That’s the reality of the situation. Nether you or us for that matter have the history to keep coaches from jumping to the Bama’s, Michigan’s, and OSU’s of the world.

So we can argue funding all day long at the end of the day it’s irrelevant. We already have all the facilities in place and a million or two isn’t going to prevent us from matching Purdue if that’s what we chose to do.

I have no hate for Purdue and hope the best for you guys as we’ve been in your shoes before. And if you should lose Brohm and if everything is as you say it is, you’ll find a good replacement, and vice versa for that matter.

The fact you get your facts from the CJ is moronic. If we said the sky is blue the CJ would say it’s turquoise. Once again if you’re basing this argument on the fact will be inhibited by funds you’ll be sadly disappointed. The issues were having are temporary and the funding steams haven’t disappeared. And if you read about the audit you’ll see nothing was found of the illegal nature it had to do with bonuses. This is more of a political battle dealing with issues that West Lafayette will never have to deal with. Key word in all of this is temporary. You said your budget was excess of 100 M our is 120M before we start receiving the ACC network monies or the naming rights to our stadium.

The only hope you guys have is if Brohm would feel that he owes you guys more time, but given how fast he departed WKU I’m not thinking that will matter. This is for sure, if he doesn’t depart for UofL he’ll be departing for a bigger program sooner than later. That’s the reality of the situation. Nether you or us for that matter have the history to keep coaches from jumping to the Bama’s, Michigan’s, and OSU’s of the world.

So we can argue funding all day long at the end of the day it’s irrelevant. We already have all the facilities in place and a million or two isn’t going to prevent us from matching Purdue if that’s what we chose to do.

I have no hate for Purdue and hope the best for you guys as we’ve been in your shoes before. And if you should lose Brohm and if everything is as you say it is, you’ll find a good replacement, and vice versa for that matter.

Oh I have no doubts you will have the funds to hire your new football coach, whoever it happens to be. You always seem to find money, I will say Vince Tyra took on quite a challenge and cleaning up the mess left behind will not happen overnight.

Purdue has a mandatory student health and wellness fee $120, student activity fee $20 both per semester. So Purdue collects more than double the amount for athletic activity than Louisville but can feel superior cuz of accounting methods? The UofL AD runs facilities that non-athlete students use and the University reimburses these costs (ie natatorium, cardinal park lighting). All but 2 athletic venues have been financed by the AD and no venue on campus is older than 24 years. $340 million has been raised in the AD to pay fir facilities since 1997. I doubt Purdue can match. The gender equality item is an agreement between the University and AD to have many more female rowers than what is needed. UofL has 60+ plus full/partial scholarship female rowers.

Again the subsidies are nothing but accounting methods mostly around costs but the NCAA deems any revenue not generated by the AD as subsidy. So reimbursements are recorded as subsidies.

I like how you totally ignored the main topic of money for football coaches. Louisville us clearly willing to pay significantly more for its coaches, in all sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT