ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield on deck...

What is it about Satterfield that makes him such a hot property. I know very little about him other than he coaches at a very small program.

Reactions: Juanco
The guy has a helluva record. One losing season (his first) and nothing but great seasons after that. No, he doesn’t move the needle big-time but what do you do?

The guy has a helluva record. One losing season (his first) and nothing but great seasons after that. No, he doesn’t move the needle big-time but what do you do?
Good lord it’s a FCS record. He inherited a traditional 1-AA powerhouse team from Gerry Moore and just continued their success. Not sure he can build a team from the ground, especially at the D-1 level. I mean he hasn’t been recruiting that talent level.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
"But what do you do" is the reason for all of the frustration. Lets face it, UL isn't a destination job or even a high profile gig. We are all realizing that the best we can do is a Sun Belt coach who's claim to fame is taking PSU to overtime. The program is in such shambles that it can't lure its native son in. Let that sink in...

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
"But what do you do" is the reason for all of the frustration. Lets face it, UL isn't a destination job or even a high profile gig. We are all realizing that the best we can do is a Sun Belt coach who's claim to fame is taking PSU to overtime. The program is in such shambles that it can't lure its native son in. Let that sink in...
Ok. PJ Fleck?

What is it about Satterfield that makes him such a hot property. I know very little about him other than he coaches at a very small program.
Always remember where Louisville has been in the various conferences and then look at what App St has accomplished at their level. They have been very good. Give him more resources then you can reasonably project he will be successful at Louisville.

FYI----no one will move the needle.

Always remember where Louisville has been in the various conferences and then look at what App St has accomplished at their level. They have been very good. Give him more resources then you can reasonably project he will be successful at Louisville.

FYI----no one will move the needle.
Does he have connections with P5 level recruits, coaches, media? Is he big enough for this stage? Yes, he’s proven himself but at a very low level of college football. Some will move the needle more than others but I don’t see the fan base getting excited about this hire. Not crazy about poaching AAC coaches let alone schools playing below that level.

I think this will be a bad hire. Reasons:

- he’s basically coached in same place
- has no experience recruiting at P5 level
- has a staff filled with a lot of lifers
- runs an offensive scheme that we do not have the line play to run
- said he prefers living in small towns, not cities

I really hate to diss this guy, but this looks like another Kragthorpe to me.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Ok. PJ Fleck?

Not sure if you are being serious or not, but the guy took a bowl program at Minny and ran it into the ground in a year and has kids transfering out at an alarming clip. As someone who wanted him when we got Brohm, I would go another direction.

Not sure if you are being serious or not, but the guy took a bowl program at Minny and ran it into the ground in a year and has kids transfering out at an alarming clip. As someone who wanted him when we got Brohm, I would go another direction.
Fleck kicking your butt this year really left a scar!

Reactions: Streakpass
A little birdie told me that Dexter Manley is looking to get into coaching and has some ties with someone in the athletic department. Supposedly he is under consideration

Reactions: Mcmutz
Unless there is someone out there we don't know there is no one that will move the needle. That is the reality. Your recruiting angle is a really good that is what makes Brohm miss painful. He would have instantly recruited at a high level. All these other coaches are looking at minimum 3-4 years to get back to average if they don't recruit well.

I think this will be a bad hire. Reasons:

- he’s basically coached in same place
- has no experience recruiting at P5 level
- has a staff filled with a lot of lifers
- runs an offensive scheme that we do not have the line play to run
- said he prefers living in small towns, not cities

I really hate to diss this guy, but this looks like another Kragthorpe to me.

I get the concern, but it’s not like there are Urban Meyers or Tom Herman’s or whoever that is out there available. We are going to have to take a chance on someone unproven at the P5 level.

Mack Brown will likely bring quite the staff over. Old man is a figurehead in my book. UNC could lose like we did all year and still have a packed house with him there. Probably a stretch but that may have been a hire to mitigate attendance until some better options come about or he develops a stud of a cooridnator. Idk enough about it figure out why they passed on Satterfield but from what I'm hearing it's either him or Neal Brown. I'll take a crazy untested mountain man over a former UK coach any day of the week.

Of course, because we can get him on the cheap........the decision makers at UofL blow.
I think you can get better for cheaper IMO. And I wouldn’t say it’s on the decision makers yet. Would you have paid Jeff more than $6 mill? More than $5 even? I think we made the smart play. Let him win a big 10 title before he earns that money.

I'm going to keep screaming it until it comes to fruition but Ryan Day is the steal right now if we could get him. Would take Chip Long too.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I'm going to keep screaming it until it comes to fruition but Ryan Day is the steal right now if we could get him. Would take Chip Long too.
Day would be here for 1 year max. Urban is about to give up the ghost again supposedly and he is next in line.

I think you can get better for cheaper IMO. And I wouldn’t say it’s on the decision makers yet. Would you have paid Jeff more than $6 mill? More than $5 even? I think we made the smart play. Let him win a big 10 title before he earns that money.

And what happens when you pay a coach 3 million and he wins ?
He wants a raise or another school will offer him 5 mill.

Brohm not only brought excitement but would killed it in recruiting. The rare 4 and 5 stars here are going to UofL under Brohm.

Reactions: American Male
Worth rolling the dice. Worst that could happen is we get a few decent recruits, a postive buzz and a couple million.
How do we know he can win? It’s too much to gamble unless you pay him like $2 million. He’s never been a head coach and is likely to bolt early. Stability is something we need. Especially if that coach is a proven winner. I like Day, but he’s just too risky at this time.

Does he have connections with P5 level recruits, coaches, media? Is he big enough for this stage? Yes, he’s proven himself but at a very low level of college football. Some will move the needle more than others but I don’t see the fan base getting excited about this hire. Not crazy about poaching AAC coaches let alone schools playing below that level.

You do realize that Jim Tressel came from Youngstown State (1-AA) and then proceeded to dominate the Big 10 and win a national title at Ohio State.

(I'm not guaranteeing that Satterfield would have the same kind of success at UofL, but I'm speaking to the argument about him not coaching on this level. App State transitioned from 1-AA to Div. 1. That's a big step and Satterfield has been kicking ass there. If he's hired, we should all get behind him. As for recruiting, high school kids pay attention to what fans are saying. The fan base needs to get behind the next coach.

How do we know he can win? It’s too much to gamble unless you pay him like $2 million. He’s never been a head coach and is likely to bolt early. Stability is something we need. Especially if that coach is a proven winner. I like Day, but he’s just too risky at this time.

To be fair, he was the interim HC early this year and won lol also 2 million would be double what he's pulling now. As far as the stability situation goes, I don't see what makes one candidate more stable than the other if they come and succeed. Outside of speculating that Urban retires next year and assuming they don't try for Bob stoops or some other big name (especially if Day leaves) I think any coach that comes and turns this nightmare around is at risk for getting picked off. All for stability but the only potential lifer just said no. Would think it looks better on paper to take Ohio states OC vs the Sunbelt hero.

Also to say Ryan Day is any less of a proven winner than Satterfield is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Think theres plenty of subjectivity involved since one is beating up on Louisiana -Monroe and Toledo and the other is well, at Ohio State.

That being said, I'll get behind whoever and I think Satterfield would be a fine hire considering the market. Dude could be a real homerun. Just think Day would be easier to immediately get behind for most of our overreacting fan base.

Reactions: Highlandscard
Unless there is someone out there we don't know there is no one that will move the needle. That is the reality. Your recruiting angle is a really good that is what makes Brohm miss painful. He would have instantly recruited at a high level. All these other coaches are looking at minimum 3-4 years to get back to average if they don't recruit well.
Day, Venebales, and even Fickle would move the needle for me. Not anyone else mentioned .

NO to Babers and Brown....hell no to Brown .He can eat a D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT