ADVERTISEMENT

Satt allegedly seriously interested in USCjr Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brohm is the third highest paid coach in the Big10. 5plus million a year not including radio tv gigs etc. Incentive pay easily puts him at 6million. A year.

" Brohm's is scheduled to earn $5.35 million in 2019, including the first installment of the signing bonus. In 2020, his salary is $5.55 million, including the second payment of the signing bonus."

The total value of Brohm's new deal is $36.8 million over the seven years ,which includes, retention bonuses and the signing bonus. Performance bonuses, including bowl games, are in addition to his guaranteed income.

It's estimated Purdue increased the value of Brohm's contract by over $10 million since last year's seven-year deal.

The new deal developed after Louisville made a run to lure Brohm back to his hometown after last season. The school fired Bobby Petrino in November and talked to Brohm following the Boilermakers' victory over Indiana after Thanksgiving.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...arded-one-year-contract-extension/3421463002/

After paying off Pitino, BP, and Jurich, [Thanks Tom ] AND staring down further NC2A Bball sanctions [Thanks Tom] we were in absolutely no position to pay that kind of jack.

Of course, Brohm knew that but agreed to an interview to sweeten his deal with Purdue.

He's easily the most over paid coach in college football. Fortunately, VT recognized that and told Jeff to go pound sand.

Reactions: rh62531
It was widely accepted that U of L wouldn't be getting the hometown discount with Brohm. Assuming "Vince" knew that, why did he even place himself into the Brohm sweepstakes if he wasn't going to pay Brohm what was needed?

Because "Vince" didn't have a plan; he had HALF a plan. THAT is why Brohm isn't here. It has nothing to do with his allegiance to U of L. And that is why the fallback option/coach is in play for other jobs before two seasons are over...

It was widely accepted that U of L wouldn't be getting the hometown discount with Brohm. Assuming "Vince" knew that, why did he even place himself into the Brohm sweepstakes if he wasn't going to pay Brohm what was needed?

Because "Vince" didn't have a plan; he had HALF a plan. THAT is why Brohm isn't here. It has nothing to do with his allegiance to U of L. And that is why the fallback option/coach is in play for other jobs before two seasons are over...
To the contrary - it was widely “accepted” that brohm was very interested in becoming the coach of the Cardinals and given that - would accept a competitive offer made by UofL.

In response, Purdoo chose (in what is a consensus opinion - even among a lot of boil fans) to overpay brohm and ultimately, he chose the money. Given UofL’s financial situation, Tyra made the sound decision not to get caught up in a 6M per year bidding war for an unproven coach - regardless of his ties to UofL.

As has been said before, had Tyra signed brohm for 6M per season, you would be on here talking about how fiscally irresponsible he was. And would continue to beat that drum after any and every loss on the field. Another example of your “Heads I win and tails you lose” approach when it comes to anything related to Tyra.

At this point, Brohm would have far more support from the fanbase--and the funding that comes with it--than Satterfield.

And Brohm wouldn't be interviewing to leave the hometown school and his alma mater. In fact, I doubt he'd even be getting a sales pitch.

"Vince" simply face planted on that one (and others)...

I just love hypotheticals ... so a guy who wouldn’t leave Purdue to come to his alma mater and hometown school wouldn’t be interviewing to leave it?

In the imaginary world where Jeff does come here, you might be right. But in the real world, Jeff Brohm simply doesn’t have the level of loyalty to UofL and Louisville that you think he does. He showed that two years ago.

Reactions: gocds and SoulSr
Rehashing water under the bridge is....drip, drip, drip...redundant and foolish. CSS is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The positive take that needs to be stressed is that Satt is recognized as an 'in demand' coach even if it is, as in this circumstance, fake news of any interview with the SEC USCjr job.

The sports media will run with anything that gets them clicks and paid, for their fake news.

Such is life for coaches with a good reputation and record(s) at almost anywhere these days. o_O Including UofL.

Rehashing water under the bridge is....drip, drip, drip...redundant and foolish. CSS is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The positive take that needs to be stressed is that Satt is recognized as an 'in demand' coach even if it is, as in this circumstance, fake news of any interview with the SEC USCjr job.

The sports media will run with anything that gets them clicks and paid, for their fake news.

Such is life for coaches with a good reputation and record(s) at almost anywhere these days. o_O Including UofL.

Yea, everyone knows the Athletic is " Fake News " and that the moderators of 2 USCjr sites were conspiring with the Athletic to push a " fake " story. What a strange world some folks live in.
Where actual news and events that do not fit their alternative reality world view, become " fake". It's actually quite bizarre and a bit troubling.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I just love hypotheticals ... so a guy who wouldn’t leave Purdue to come to his alma mater and hometown school wouldn’t be interviewing to leave it?

In the imaginary world where Jeff does come here, you might be right. But in the real world, Jeff Brohm simply doesn’t have the level of loyalty to UofL and Louisville that you think he does. He showed that two years ago.
U of L, Jeff Brohm, and "Vince". Two of those have an obvious and longtime connection, and the third does not.

What I do know for sure is that Brohm showed up at U of L spring games with his family while head coaching elsewhere. That was obviously a lack of interest.

A good AD has the deal in his back pocket when the news breaks. Our guy reacts.

And that's the results we're getting...

Last edited:
To the contrary - it was widely “accepted” that brohm was very interested in becoming the coach of the Cardinals and given that - would accept a competitive offer made by UofL.

In response, Purdoo chose (in what is a consensus opinion - even among a lot of boil fans) to overpay brohm and ultimately, he chose the money. Given UofL’s financial situation, Tyra made the sound decision not to get caught up in a 6M per year bidding war for an unproven coach - regardless of his ties to UofL.

As has been said before, had Tyra signed brohm for 6M per season, you would be on here talking about how fiscally irresponsible he was. And would continue to beat that drum after any and every loss on the field. Another example of your “Heads I win and tails you lose” approach when it comes to anything related to Tyra.
Apparently, your AD didn't know what a "competitive offer" was. And he's paid to know--who else would?

He's also paid to get a job done, not change that job.

I've already clarified where "Vince" failed in this regard... He paid $14 million to get rid of a coach, was ready to pay $4 million to buy out the next, and then in the vicinity of $5 million annually to keep him. That's multiples of what "Vince" actually had to spend considering he can't raise the money to restripe the parking lots.

Telling me he succeeded by ONLY spending $15 million and paying Satterfield $3+ million annually to deliver what we're getting is peeing on my leg and claiming it's raining...

Brohm was a coach here once. His employment was terminated by us. Saturday he lost, at Purdue, with a roster of his recruits to Rutgers. Pretty sure what ever is running down your leg is not pee. It’s much more likely something you are full of.

The question is did Brohm make the right decision? I would argue he made a poor professional decision.

He didn’t want another rebuild, but failed to understand how difficult it would be building and maintaining a program at Purdue. He is on his way to another losing season. His brand of football doesn’t fit the big ten which is still a defensive minded league.

The rebuild at Louisville would of been sped up because of the timing. All the Louisville kids in up at Louisville. He would owned Jefferson County and done fine in the rest of the state. By all accounts Moore transfers in. Offensively they would of been fine. His system is a better fit in the ACC.

I don’t think he survives at Purdue. Recruiting will only get tougher. They are currently sitting at 69th.

Last edited:
“If he wasn’t way up South Carolina’s list this was a stupid move because he made recruiting even harder.”

100% spot on and the most intelligent comment in this thread.

Apparently, your AD didn't know what a "competitive offer" was. And he's paid to know--who else would?

I've already clarified where "Vince" failed in this regard... He paid $14 million to get rid of a coach, was ready to pay $4 million to buy out the next, and then in the vicinity of $5 million annually to keep him. That's multiples of what "Vince" actually had to spend considering he can't raise the money to restripe the parking lots.

Telling me he succeeded by ONLY spending $15 million and paying Satterfield $3+ million annually to deliver what we're getting is peeing on my leg and claiming it's raining...
So you want to pay more so Brohm can deliver what Purdue is getting- like a home loss to Rutgers? What makes you think CJB is the second coming of Vince Lombardi? He might not even be the second coming of Vince Gibson.

I think Zipp might be saying UofL should have paid less to Petrino buyout (I'm unsure this was legally possible?) and take some of that $ paid to Petrino and instead pay Brohm with it. I don't think it matters. We'll never know how much legal challenges might of cost or how the results would end up going.

@ the end of the day coaches are always jockeying for something else unless they are at one of the few "destination" programs. There are instances of satisfaction at a particular stop but the national avg remains 4 years D1 for same coach same place.

U of L, Jeff Brohm, and "Vince". Two of those have an obvious and longtime connection, and the third does not.

What I do know for sure is that Brohm showed up at U of L spring games with his family while head coaching elsewhere. That was obviously a lack of interest.

A good AD has the deal in his back pocket when the news breaks. Our guy reacts.

And that's the results we're getting...

Vince Tyra is Louisville basketball legend Charlie Tyra’s son. He has significantly more connection to UofL than Tom Jurich, Rick Petrino, or even Howard Schnellenberger.

The point you are trying to make about Tyra’s supposed lack of loyalty to UofL (by pointing out Tyra’s connection to UK as a baseball player there) is by far your weakest take. I don’t understand why you continue to try to make it, unless no one else has pointed out Charlie Tyra’s lineage to you.

It's not a recruit's job to sign with a school; it's the coach's job to get him to sign. It's not the coach's job to accept a job offer; it's the AD's job to make that offer too hard to refuse.

Some people get that stuff backward and are too butthurt in the aftermath to acknowledge who failed whom.

There's also a factor called FIT that has a big role in success. It's how K-rag succeeds at Tulsa and fails here. And how a number of U of L ex-coaches failed elsewhere. It's why you can't extrapolate what Brohm is doing or will do at Purdue to what he would have done here. You're playing the hypothetical game.

What we KNOW is we paid $15 million and are paying $3+ million annually to get the results we're getting now, both on and off the football field.

And we know that it will cost $10 million or so--if you don't like these results--to change course yet again. That's obviously $10 million we don't have any longer, and it was supposed to have been averted by an AD who doesn't like big contractual buyouts. That is, another face plant...

Last edited:
It's not a recruit's job to sign with a school; it's the coach's job to get him to sign. It's not the coach's job to accept a job offer; it's the AD's job to make that offer too hard to refuse.

Some people get that stuff backward and are too butthurt in the aftermath to acknowledge who failed whom.

There's also a factor called FIT that has a big role in success. It's how K-rag succeeds at Tulsa and fails here. And how a number of U of L ex-coaches failed elsewhere. It's why you can't extrapolate what Brohm is doing or will do at Purdue to what he would have done here. You're playing the hypothetical game.

What we KNOW is we paid $15 million and are paying $3+ million to get the results we're getting now, both on and off the football field.

And we know that it will cost $10 million or so--if you don't like these results--to change course yet again. That's obviously $10 million we don't have any longer, and it was supposed to have been averted by an AD who doesn't like big contractual buyouts. That is, another face plant...

Satterfield was ACC coach of the year last year.

Vince Tyra is Louisville basketball legend Charlie Tyra’s son. He has significantly more connection to UofL than Tom Jurich, Rick Petrino, or even Howard Schnellenberger.

The point you are trying to make about Tyra’s supposed lack of loyalty to UofL (by pointing out Tyra’s connection to UK as a baseball player there) is by far your weakest take. I don’t understand why you continue to try to make it, unless no one else has pointed out Charlie Tyra’s lineage to you.
Charlie Tyra does not equal "Vince". And it doesn't stop here...

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

There are these more recent associations that should concern anyone. Esp. considering the downsizing of U of L athletics...

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg

schnatter%20%20tyra%20-%20reduced%20size_zpszibsmtu1.jpg

What we KNOW is we paid $15 million and are paying $3+ million to get the results we're getting now, both on and off the football field.

Your entire charge is a “hypothetical game”.

1. We do not know if CSS was even contacted by USCjr or if he was interested. He says no.

2. We don’t know why CJB stayed at Purdue. We know what he said, and we know he got a raise.

3. we know how his teams have performed and how UofL has performed since. There is no reason to believe Brohm would do better here or be a better fit here, just because he is an alumnus.

Your hypothetical is that we would be better off with Brohm (based on nothing) if Vince NQ had not failed to hire him. There is absolutely no support for this other than your hatred of Vince NQ. Yet you persist.

LOL settles it right here says it all .

Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm is now 0-2 against Rutgers. RUTGERS. Since the Ohio State game 2 years ago, he is 8-15, with embarrassing losses everywhere. The fact that he is making $6 million+ a year is atrocious, it is the worst return on investment in American history. We have to get rid of him somehow, because this is an embarrassment to John Purdue and all that have connections to West Lafayette, Indiana.

Your entire charge is a “hypothetical game”.

1. We do not know if CSS was even contacted by USCjr or if he was interested. He says no.

2. We don’t know why CJB stayed at Purdue. We know what he said, and we know he got a raise.

3. we know how his teams have performed and how UofL has performed since. There is no reason to believe Brohm would do better here or be a better fit here, just because he is an alumnus.

Your hypothetical is that we would be better off with Brohm (based on nothing) if Vince NQ had not failed to hire him. There is absolutely no support for this other than your hatred of Vince NQ. Yet you persist.
Brohm would not be going anywhere from here, nor would he likely be getting overtures to go elsewhere. That’s based on his U of L history, not my concocting a hypothetical.

And if your AD had done his homework, the aforesaid coach would be satisfied here and making enough money. The fanbase and recruits would have been more energized. Obviously that didn’t happen, and there’s one guy to blame. It takes a boatload of denial believing otherwise.

Compounded by the fact that we’re millions of dollars poorer with the fallback option and enjoying a losing football team two years out.

As I said, we’ll find out soon enough which year was the fluke. And possibly trying to disengage from “Vince’s” $10 million buyout clause...

LOL settles it right here says it all .

Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm is now 0-2 against Rutgers. RUTGERS. Since the Ohio State game 2 years ago, he is 8-15, with embarrassing losses everywhere. The fact that he is making $6 million+ a year is atrocious, it is the worst return on investment in American history. We have to get rid of him somehow, because this is an embarrassment to John Purdue and all that have connections to West Lafayette, Indiana.
What he’s doing at Purdue is not a clear indicator of what he would be doing here, despite your trying to make it so..,

Brohm isn’t/wasn’t unproven.

To the contrary - it’s clear Tyra knew exactly what UofL’s determination of a competitive offer was for brohm and, he stuck to it. He could have taken the easier path and matched purdoo’s offer - provided the assumption that brohm was actually interested in Louisville and wasn’t simply using UofL to get more money from his existing employer - was true.

Perhaps he could have upped the ante (and re-striped the parking lots) if he wasn’t completely hamstrung by TJ and the terrible decision he made on petrino’s contract, costing the university all of that money. The fact that you try to hang both issues around Tyra’s neck - demonstrates your agenda perfectly.

To the contrary - it’s clear Tyra knew exactly what UofL’s determination of a competitive offer was for brohm and, he stuck to it. He could have taken the easier path and matched purdoo’s offer - provided the assumption that brohm was actually interested in Louisville and wasn’t simply using UofL to get more money from his existing employer - was true.

Perhaps he could have upped the ante (and re-striped the parking lots) if he wasn’t completely hamstrung by TJ and the terrible decision he made on petrino’s contract, costing the university all of that money. The fact that you try to hang both issues around Tyra’s neck - demonstrates your agenda perfectly.
Paying Petrino his full buyout was "Vince's" decision. Just like NOT paying Danny Manning his contractual buyout has been Wake Forest's decision. Shielding "Vince" from his mistakes is a worn-out strategy that continues to cost this University money it doesn't have.

Like NOT knowing what it was gonna take to land Brohm, and paying millions to find out the hard way. But hey, we're losing games, fans, and money which a lotta fans think may have been his objective all along.

I forgot this one...

two-slapdicks.jpg

Paying Petrino his full buyout was "Vince's" decision. Just like NOT paying Danny Manning his contractual buyout has been Wake Forest's decision. Shielding "Vince" from his mistakes is a worn-out strategy that continues to cost this University money it doesn't have.

Like NOT knowing what it was gonna take to land Brohm, and paying millions to find out the hard way. But hey, we're losing games, fans, and money which a lotta fans think may have been his objective all along.

I forgot this one...

two-slapdicks.jpg
1. TJ negotiated a terrible - yet legal - contract for UofL with petrino.
2. The university fulfilled its legal responsibility when paying petrino the buyout amount.
3. Weak Forrest saying they don’t believe they should have to pay Manning what his contract says, doesn’t relieve them of that responsibility. The greatest likelihood is that they will ultimately owe that amount plus a bunch of attorney’s fees.
4. WF has also - with this approach - damaged themselves when it comes to hiring future coaches.
5. It is asinine on your part to continue to suggest that Tyra didn’t know what it would take to “land brohm”. The fact is that he did know, and ultimately decided he wasn’t worth it. A fact that brohm continues to prove - mediocre season after mediocre season.

2. The university fulfilled its legal responsibility when paying petrino the buyout amount.
3. Weak Forrest saying they don’t believe they should have to pay Manning what his contract says, doesn’t relieve them of that responsibility. The greatest likelihood is that they will ultimately owe that amount plus a bunch of attorney’s fees.
4. WF has also - with this approach - damaged themselves when it comes to hiring future coaches.
5. It is asinine on your part to continue to suggest that Tyra didn’t know what it would take to “land brohm”. The fact is that he did know, and ultimately decided he wasn’t worth it. A fact that brohm continues to prove - mediocre season after mediocre season.

C’mon we just had Thanksgiving, is it necessary to do Montrezl level dunking on Zipp!

Reactions: rh62531 and BPGhost
Brohm would not be going anywhere from here, nor would he likely be getting overtures to go elsewhere. That’s based on his U of L history, not my concocting a hypothetical.

And if your AD had done his homework, the aforesaid coach would be satisfied here and making enough money. The fanbase and recruits would have been more energized. Obviously that didn’t happen, and there’s one guy to blame. It takes a boatload of denial believing otherwise.

Compounded by the fact that we’re millions of dollars poorer with the fallback option and enjoying a losing football team two years out.

As I said, we’ll find out soon enough which year was the fluke. And possibly trying to disengage from “Vince’s” $10 million buyout clause...
Jurich always said he’d rather have a coach other people wanted than one nobody else wanted.
your assumptions about everything else are without basis and you assume that somehow we’d be winning with a coach who is losing at a place with far greater resources. If he wanted to be here, he would be here. He chose the money, which means he would likely choose the money from somebody else if he were to be in demand. Your arguments are remarkably poor, even for you. Don’t let your hatred of Vince NQ drive you batty.

Reactions: BPGhost
It’s 2020 folks. Kids opting out, COVID suspensions, abbreviated training time, social unrest, everything basically upside down. Pretty tough year to pin on a coach or a team when they succumb to the adversity all around. I, for one, hope that we get past this pretty soon, and that both Satterfield and Brohm get back to their successful ways. I’m not going to judge them based on this year. I respect the effort and the risks they have taken to try to entertain us. I’ll reserve judgement for a more normal time, should we ever see one. Go Cards!

So was Satt, using that logic.
Completely agree - which is why paying him 3M per is infinitely better than paying brohm double that. As someone posted earlier - UofL has paid 545K per win with Satterfield, while purdoo has paid 1.5M per win with brohm.

Great work Vince!!

It’s 2020 folks. Kids opting out, COVID suspensions, abbreviated training time, social unrest, everything basically upside down. Pretty tough year to pin on a coach or a team when they succumb to the adversity all around. I, for one, hope that we get past this pretty soon, and that both Satterfield and Brohm get back to their successful ways. I’m not going to judge them based on this year. I respect the effort and the risks they have taken to try to entertain us. I’ll reserve judgement for a more normal time, should we ever see one. Go Cards!

I feel the same way. It feels like all sports aren't really real this year, like all of it is an exhibition. The Reds went to the playoffs and normally I would have bought gear and watched every minute, but I didn't watch any of it.

Can't really blame Vince for the Pitino/Jurich buyouts. That's more of the clown show's job to manage those buyouts. We had to pay Bobby. Considering TJ & Rick were over probation scandals & we paid those guys, there's no way we get out of paying BP. @zipp I agree with some of your sentiments, but I also put more of the blame on the clown show that caused this mess.

Vince has had 2 big tests since arriving. He hired Chris Mack & Scott Satterfield. Basketball is king, so as Mack goes Vince will go too. Satterfield is TBD. Vince arrived with the BP mess & I think SS was good for keeping the program from collapsing.

Vince also did what he was supposed to and Mac and Walz to stay around. Not too special, but he didn't let them leave either.

Vince was hired to keep everything from falling apart. TJ is the GOAT of this athletics department. Losing Rick & TJ all at once combined with the money issues was a lot to happen at once. Vince made hires to keep everything afloat & also look towards long term success.

Vince has done a good job of keeping it all from falling apart. Now does that make him a great AD, no. He's done the job he was brought in to do. He's held it together, now is he the guy to build it up going forward? Time will tell.

Mack and Satterfield have approx. the same buyout that Petrino had--three years of contractual payments or the balance, whichever's less. "Vince" authored those contracts while claiming he was going to put an end to big contractual buyouts with the coaches he hired. Face plant.

The university has no "legal responsibility" if, like Wake is doing, it argues that the firing was for cause. That's a decision, not a responsibility. Face plant.

You don't have a clue whether Wake will be successful with their strategy or have any problem attracting coaches. That's an agenda to protect guys with their faces in the dirt.

It's self evident that "Vince" didn't have a solid plan to sign Brohm--because he publicly sold him as his #1 objective, then failed that objective. His most magnificent face plant.

And you don't know what Brohm would have done here anymore than you knew this team would win three games...

Can't really blame Vince for the Pitino/Jurich buyouts. That's more of the clown show's job to manage those buyouts. We had to pay Bobby. Considering TJ & Rick were over probation scandals & we paid those guys, there's no way we get out of paying BP. @zipp I agree with some of your sentiments, but I also put more of the blame on the clown show that caused this mess.

Vince has had 2 big tests since arriving. He hired Chris Mack & Scott Satterfield. Basketball is king, so as Mack goes Vince will go too. Satterfield is TBD. Vince arrived with the BP mess & I think SS was good for keeping the program from collapsing.

Vince also did what he was supposed to and Mac and Walz to stay around. Not too special, but he didn't let them leave either.

Vince was hired to keep everything from falling apart. TJ is the GOAT of this athletics department. Losing Rick & TJ all at once combined with the money issues was a lot to happen at once. Vince made hires to keep everything afloat & also look towards long term success.

Vince has done a good job of keeping it all from falling apart. Now does that make him a great AD, no. He's done the job he was brought in to do. He's held it together, now is he the guy to build it up going forward? Time will tell.
"Vince" did nothing hiring Mack and Satterfield but spend millions on the most popular candidates and with no serious competition for their services. And the verdicts are out on both guys as far as achieving at a high level.

"Vince" has lost a significant amount of the talent that was within the athletic dept when he took the job. My sources tell me that the talent that remains ain't real happy with the situation.

Everywhere you look, it's a cheapened, dummied-down, second-rate operation. "Vince's" predecessor prided himself on excellence or the pursuit of such. This guy embraces downsizing and cutting costs.

Our financials suck, and they've sucked since "Vince" got here. This is esp. problematic since the guy was supposed to be a high stakes businessman.

To remind everyone, he's also entered his fourth year on the job. If this was a coach we're talking about, he would already be fired for a lack of results and for heading nowhere positive. It's only because too many fans don't pay attention to the business side of athletics that this guy continues to hold down a job he's not fit for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT