ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Williamson Update

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Louisville junior forward Samuell Williamson has entered the transfer portal. After spending three seasons at U of L, and with his extra year of “COVID eligibility” from the NCAA, Williamson has the potential to play two seasons at another school.

A McDonald’s All-American coming out of Rockwall (TX) High School in 2019, Williamson’s career at Louisville didn’t quite go as he or Cardinal fans expected it to.

Good thing there wasn't a portal in 2013 or Wayne Blackshear may have never won a national title here at Louisville.

Sam Williamson's career mirrors Blackshear as a McDonald's all American who fans kept waiting to see the reason for that in a Cardinals uniform.

Blackshear probably wasn't happy when Luke Hancock arrived to take his minutes but there was no instant transfer portal for him, so he stays and helps the Cards cut down the nets.

Good luck Sam. You will always be a Cardinal to me.

I saw brief periods where he showed that 5 Star talent, but his inability to sustain any consistency shooting that mid range jumper was too much to overlook.

I wish him the very best where ever he goes, as he was a model student and citizen here.

to me, like blackshear, and with many other players, his/their/her confidence is not consistent and when one bad thing happens they shut down on the offensive/defensive end. it's not their fault per se, as it's the job of the coach to understand their players and not every coach is good at that. being good at X's and O's doesn't necessarily mean you're good with human emotions. but players may be great in high school where they have a physical advantage but when they meet someone bigger and better finally, or someone smaller but stronger, their confidence fades if something goes wrong. good coaching should put them in positions to succeed but many/most times, this does not happen and the player is put where the coach wants them, not where is best for them. it happens is all sports, mens and womens, pros and college, even down to youth. football is the easiest to see an example is when a qb gets injured and the backup who has never played comes in. they always say let him throw a short pass or screen with high completion rate to get his confidence going. i think the same thing happened here. he'd miss an open shot early and just fade. i even remember bill thompson being that way. he could go for 30 but could also only get 8-10 on a night if the defender punked him all night. he'd fade. so the hope for him, and all athletes, and especially in this no penalty tranfer era, that these kids will get the chance to succeed with a new opportunity. wasn't it wiltjers at uk who went on to gonzaga or somewhere and did much better? so hope you find your success SM

Wish Sam all the best. I saw flashes of what maybe could have been under different circumstances over the course of his time here but sadly it never all came together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT