ADVERTISEMENT

Safe to say the Satterfield honeymoon is over?

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Impressive turnaround last year, given the circumstances. That said, there were some WTF moments, like the Miami and UK games, but everyone understood. As someone pointed out, however, as evidenced last night, a Satt coached Louisville team fails to rise to the occasion in big games. Last season, it was ND, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UK. All losses. All pretty bad losses. Fast forward to 2020, a prime time game, Game Day, two ranked teams, and what happened? A first half dud, and another ass whoopin. Now, I’m not debating the condition of the program that Satt inherited. It wasn’t great. I’m just noticing an early coaching trend. It’s another barrier to break through. We’ll get there.

Wasn't Great? Prictrino stopped recruiting a year and a half before he got whacked. What very little he did recruit consisted of wide receivers. We currently have ZERO impact players on the D side. We have a former walk on [Fagot ] from Tates Creek playing at the FS spot with Hayes.

The LB's and down 3-4 lack any semblance of football IQ
I don't think you appreciate just how bad our D personnel stacks up against P5 and G5 quality opponents. UCF would score at will against us. The Miami media went on record as saying UAB had far superior d players before the game. And they were right.

Impressive turnaround last year, given the circumstances. That said, there were some WTF moments, like the Miami and UK games, but everyone understood. As someone pointed out, however, as evidenced last night, a Satt coached Louisville team fails to rise to the occasion in big games. Last season, it was ND, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UK. All losses. All pretty bad losses. Fast forward to 2020, a prime time game, Game Day, two ranked teams, and what happened? A first half dud, and another ass whoopin. Now, I’m not debating the condition of the program that Satt inherited. It wasn’t great. I’m just noticing an early coaching trend. It’s another barrier to break through. We’ll get there.
Or maybe Miami is better than us as a team. Yes, the breakdowns on defense are awful, but we were the WORST TEAM IN THE NATION just 2 years ago.

We went from just hoping to have a competitive season, to now expecting to be a top 25 player in year 2. The higher expectations are all because of great coaching.

This still is a rebuild. Next year we could lose Hawkins, Tutu, and Fitz and be a much different offense. We have another crop of good players and his year’s freshman will be a year older.

We don’t have experience. We had to plug in juco guys because Bobby’s guys transferred out and left us with a basically non existent 2019 recruiting class. We’re ahead of schedule, but we keep confusing that for being able to go right back to the level of the FSU and Clemson games of 2016.

You're ahead of any normal rebuild schedule. Petrino leaving cost you a whole class, and his later year or so of recruiting was based on speed in the skill positions and one year a bunch in the secondary.

Satterfield gets a lot of fight from his players. Size up front is in some systems offset with scheme. Depth is a question....EspecIally now.

Such a bizarre year every game is going to be a question.

Yeah because he waived his wand and made the same caliber players in the summer. What did you expect. Hm wonder what all those teams had in Common. Miami is just better everywhere especially on D. We aren’t there yet. Petrino didn’t recruit anywhere close to the Miami’s and ND and for that matter UK on D. Our D is a year or two from being where it needs to be. Miami is just better. That’s a fact. People on this board are starting to remind me of suck fans. We are not a Clemson where you just plug in 5* and move forward. What Bobby did to this team is inexcusable. But how quickly our fans forget. It was a miracle we won 8 last year, but competition in the ACC has picked up this year and Miami the sleeping bear may have woke up. They now have QB and a kicker. Those were the missing pieces. We lost one game to a very good team.

Sky is falling...sky is falling! Give me a break. We lost to a very talented and balanced Miami team but the kids never quitted and played hard to the end. That is all a fan should expect. The players had enough pride to not quit on their mates or their coaches. If Miami continue playing like they did this weekend, they will be in the top 3 of ACC this season.

Sky is falling...sky is falling! Give me a break. We lost to a very talented and balanced Miami team but the kids never quitted and played hard to the end. That is all a fan should expect. The players had enough pride to not quit on their mates or their coaches. If Miami continue playing like they did this weekend, they will be in the top 3 of ACC this season.

My bad. I didn’t realize this board has turned into a criticism free zone. The game plan was less than ideal on both sides of the ball. I’m not seeing improvement from last year yet.

My bad. I didn’t realize this board has turned into a criticism free zone. The game plan was less than ideal on both sides of the ball. I’m not seeing improvement from last year yet.
I don’t think you’re going to see much improvement this year from the team that won 8 games and won a bowl game.

We’re missing some key people from last year like an NFL first round draft pick in OT Meckhi Becton, OG Tyler Haycraft and others including a great Kicker and Punter among others but help is on the way next year.

We can’t expect Satterfield to have plug and play recruits ready to take it to the next level in only his second season especially after inheriting the mess he did.

As far as him losing big games last year, surely you didn’t expect him to have us ready to go toe to toe with Clemson or Notre Dame or for that matter one of the best and most experienced UK teams in decades. Miami is and was simply more talented across the board and we had a legitimate chance to beat FSU late in Tallahassee.

We will be fine and I still think we will go 8-3 or 7-4. Our defense outside of 3-4 guys like Etheridge, Avery, Montgomery and Burns is not very good and our overachieving O-line isn’t great but we will be fine. Give it time, there is a good reason why Satterfield was ACC COY last season.

He did such an incredible job last year that he brought about some natural unreal expectations from the Louisville faithful.

No the honeymoon is not over. It’s 1 yr + 2 games. That one year CSS made one heck of a difference. Let the rest of the season play out. I’m sure that team is kicking their own butts after watching the game tape.

We are still in a multiple year rebuild. Think about that recruiting class the year before Satterfield, the lowest rated in P5. Also, a number of players left the team during the change. Satterfield doesn't have a single upperclassman that he recruited. It's crazy that we went to a Bowl and won 8 games last year.

The defense is going to take longer to rebuild than we'd all like. The process is going to be ugly at times.

The WF and UVA wins and bowl win were big games last year. I understand disappointment and it's fair to criticize but it's also fair to point out holes in a premise. Selectively counting only the losses of allegedly "big" games and not counting the "wins" of allegedly big games would be telling an incomplete story.

We are still in a multiple year rebuild. Think about that recruiting class the year before Satterfield, the lowest rated in P5. Also, a number of players left the team during the change. Satterfield doesn't have a single upperclassman that he recruited. It's crazy that we went to a Bowl and won 8 games last year.

The defense is going to take longer to rebuild than we'd all like. The process is going to be ugly at times.

I understand it's a rebuild. Everyone does. But rebuilds are all about taking the next step. Allowing Miami to score the most points on the road against a ranked opponent since 2001 is not one of those steps.

I understand it's a rebuild. Everyone does. But rebuilds are all about taking the next step. Allowing Miami to score the most points on the road against a ranked opponent since 2001 is not one of those steps.
Miami is just plain better i don't inderstand why people think we are so much better than we actually are. Miami and Fl.st no matter how down they seem to be still have bigger and better recruits every year than us and most teams. Their problems have stemmed from bad coaching hires not lack of talent.

I think a honeymoon phase mean you give the guy some time to get things right.

He took over a 2-10 team and got us to 8-5 in the first year. I think some of us just have unreasonable expectations and think Satt should’ve gotten us to the national title game this season.

I mean how did Saturday change your outlook for the program relative to when he arrived? We got beat by a team with bigger and faster players. That’s our kryptonite. I know some on here still have that “omg he lost to UK” in the back of their heads, when they just had a matchup advantage against us, but expected Scott to work a miracle and give us bigger players.

Had Scott went 4-8 or even 5-7 last year, most of us would’ve called it progress. We went 8-5 and 5-3 in the ACC. That was a schedule against 11 power 5 teams and a WKU team that was one of the better G5 teams. I was skeptical of Satt and idk if he’s gonna be the greatest ever, but idk why any of you think it’s time to start going after him. Yes criticize, but it’s ridiculous seeing some of these responses.

Miami is just plain better i don't inderstand why people think we are so much better than we actually are. Miami and Fl.st no matter how down they seem to be still have bigger and better recruits every year than us and most teams. Their problems have stemmed from bad coaching hires not lack of talent.
If that were the case we wouldn’t have been favored a week before the game and only a 2.5 point underdog..

FARRRR THAT SCOTT SISSYFIELD!!!

Just kidding. But we might need to FARRR that sonofabeyitch Brown if he doesn't at least start noticing when the opposing team's coaching staff is screaming for the QB to change the play because there are WR's completely unguarded before a 2nd unchallenged 75 yard touchdown.

Reactions: RomanOben
Vegas wasn’t the only ones. I remember there were threads on this board touting MC for Heisman and U of L playing against Clemson for the ACC championship... my how some of us have short memories.
Sure the hell wasn't me that i know.

Sep 12, 2020
  • D-line still going to have the same issue as last year . Satt needs too understand we need bulk .

Last edited:
Really? Just how accurate were / are the lines? Very little spring ball, no spring game, impact players sitting out and throw in a once in a century pandemic. And, social upheaval not seen since 1967-68. This week when the SEC opens up we are going to see lines blown up and the same thing when the Big10 opens up in a few weeks.

I’m not taking the position we should be better than Miami. I’m taking the position that we should be better from last year. We’re not. Sorry if that gets folks uncomfortable.

It's not going to be a straight, linear progression of constant improvement. We were so low when Satterfield took over. I think we are going to have ups and downs, and not just last year and this year. For the next couple of years.

Reactions: Mayoman
I’m not taking the position we should be better than Miami. I’m taking the position that we should be better from last year. We’re not. Sorry if that gets folks uncomfortable.
The Cards lost 52-27 last year and it wasn't that close.

Rebuilding doesn't just mean you are constantly getting better. You will lose games. You will look bad a times. Sometimes you take an L, it happens. It happens to pretty much everyone including the elites like Clemson and Bama.

Calling the honeymoon over after we won 8 games last year after winning 2 the year before and being one of the worse P5 programs is stupid and premature. The loss sucks but its one game. Learn from it move on and we still can have a very good season and be on an upward trajectory overall.

Reactions: teamcanada
Rebuilding doesn't just mean you are constantly getting better. You will lose games. You will look bad a times. Sometimes you take an L, it happens. It happens to pretty much everyone including the elites like Clemson and Bama.

Calling the honeymoon over after we won 8 games last year after winning 2 the year before and being one of the worse P5 programs is stupid and premature. The loss sucks but its one game. Learn from it move on and we still can have a very good season and be on an upward trajectory overall.
Microwave society and lack of a true undertanding of football is the problem with alot of fans. I've learned that alot of fans are just casual fans they really don't know anything about the sport they just root for a team. All they know and see is wins and loses not having a clue as to why a team performs or doesn't.

Reactions: rh62531

Just a friendly reminder that CFB is a billion dollar, what have you done for me lately, business. Excuses are convenient. Name calling who you disagree with is fun. It’s all about, and I hope I don’t ruin the secret, winning. I honestly wouldn’t have minded a tough loss to Miami. But, the team looked soft and unprepared. That’s not a talent issue. That’s coaching.

Just a friendly reminder that CFB is a billion dollar, what have you done for me lately, business. Excuses are convenient. Name calling who you disagree with is fun. It’s all about, and I hope I don’t ruin the secret, winning. I honestly wouldn’t have minded a tough loss to Miami. But, the team looked soft and unprepared. That’s not a talent issue. That’s coaching.

That entire game I thought, something is not right with play calling/coaching. I spent the evening trying to figure it out. Still feel that something is off, something happened. I just hope it was a temporary situation.

It absolutely could be players and not entirely on coaching. We’ve plugged in some new guys with little experience. And the players Bobby left weren’t the highest recruited guys either. Over thinking shows up the same way. If you think you stink. It’s probably some of both. I think this is what’s to be expected until Sat get his players here. Bobby did not recruit at the level necessary to compete against the top ACC teams. Miami just might be one of the top teams. I’m not prepared to crown or throw out a team based on two games. This is exactly what we saw with Strong. Once his players arrived it made all the difference. Patience.

Reactions: Mayoman

There were coaching issues. Brown made mistakes multiple times in the 1st half calling 3 man rushes on 3rd down when we had success bringing more and 3 man rushes werent successful. Its not my point to say coaches are above criticism. The honeymoon being over is something above just criticism. IMO its arguing that something needs to be done about the coaches cause they arent getting it done and I dont think thats the case. Billion dollar business or not, creating unrealistic expectations isn't holding the coaches accountable. It wont make us win more, it just means that you are unhappy. I still expect this staff to have the team at or near the top of the conference most years, but its still year 2 or a rebuild. When Satt was hired people were saying 3-4 seasons to be competitive. The reason we are complaining about Miami and having expectations now is cause the staff has been doing a very good job.

Not for me. 1 recruiting class as an after season hire. Working on a second recruiting class that isn't looking bad. We're not Clemson or Bama. Give the man a few seasons to get the players he wants. Judgement starts next year.

Reactions: PHCARD
So if our kids were so bad when Petrino was bought out--esp. on defense--why are we still playing mostly those guys? How many players that Satterfield has signed are getting much PT?

So if our kids were so bad when Petrino was bought out--esp. on defense--why are we still playing mostly those guys? How many players that Satterfield has signed are getting much PT?
He’s had a grand total of one class, thrown together midway through the recruiting cycle. He needs at least 3 years.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
In our first 5 games this year, I thought that we would beat Western Kentucky and Georgia Tech. I was unsure about Pitt but I thought that Miami and Notre Dame would be difficult games for us. I do not understand the Georgia Tech loss and it was obvious that they were better prepared for us and emotionally up. I am disappointed as I am sure others are also. The team faced or will face three petty good defenses in Miami, Pitt and Notre Dame. Three losses. Our defensive backfield has been a major disappointment. Cover and tackle poorly. I doubt that the "honeymoon" is over yet.
We fans must show more patience. Only in the second year of a rebuilding project that may take as many as four years.

In our first 5 games this year, I thought that we would beat Western Kentucky and Georgia Tech. I was unsure about Pitt but I thought that Miami and Notre Dame would be difficult games for us. I do not understand the Georgia Tech loss and it was obvious that they were better prepared for us and emotionally up. I am disappointed as I am sure others are also. The team faced or will face three petty good defenses in Miami, Pitt and Notre Dame. Three losses. Our defensive backfield has been a major disappointment. Cover and tackle poorly. I doubt that the "honeymoon" is over yet.
We fans must show more patience. Only in the second year of a rebuilding project that may take as many as four years.
There’s no such thing, unless you’ve got an all time losing record like UK, as four years in college football. Regardless what happens the rest of this year, next year should be a huge step forward. If not, on to the next. It’s been nothing but regression so far this year.

He’s had a grand total of one class, thrown together midway through the recruiting cycle. He needs at least 3 years.
Satterfield’s signed two classes, and he’s free to drop kids on scholly and bring in replacements incl. transfers.

If we’re primarily going with kids who were here when Satterfield arrived, it indicates that players aren’t a big problem or he can’t readily get better ones.

So coach ‘em up, which really good coaches do in that situation...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT