ADVERTISEMENT

Rooting for Clemson Loss

I would like to see Clemson win out. That would only help our cause, if of course we win out. With some help the ACC could have two teams in the playoff. It would be sweet to face them again when much more is at stake.
You are correct. It's best for us if Clemson remains undefeated and ends up #1 or #2. The media would love another Lamar vs Watson matchup in the Playoffs.

I disagree.

The "who ya beat" factor is more important than who you lost to on the road and omg what an environmental factor. We need Florida State to win out and that means a loss for Clemson. So, they might as well pick up loss #2 to NC State, thereby putting UofL in the driver's seat for our first ACC title.

Go Wolfpack!

You are correct. It's best for us if Clemson remains undefeated and ends up #1 or #2. The media would love another Lamar vs Watson matchup in the Playoffs.

Reactions: cardinalrod
I personally think that Clemson going undefeated and UofL going undefeated (with Chaos everywhere else) is your only hope...

FSU has now lost 2 games. Even if they win out, that takes the luster out of that win for you.
Houston needs Navy to lose twice in conference (which may or may not happen) for them to even win their own division. If they don't win their own division, that makes your win over them not as impressive either. Now if you add in Clemson face planting and losing two conference games that loss for you looks even worse and IMHO, the ACC is probably on the outside looking in for the playoffs (again, barring chaos everywhere).

Simply having chaos everywhere is your best bet...

I personally think that Clemson going undefeated and UofL going undefeated (with Chaos everywhere else) is your only hope...

FSU has now lost 2 games. Even if they win out, that takes the luster out of that win for you.
Houston needs Navy to lose twice in conference (which may or may not happen) for them to even win their own division. If they don't win their own division, that makes your win over them not as impressive either. Now if you add in Clemson face planting and losing two conference games that loss for you looks even worse and IMHO, the ACC is probably on the outside looking in for the playoffs (again, barring chaos everywhere).

Simply having chaos everywhere is your best bet...

While I agree that your scenario is one option, the more straightforward one for us is as follows:
-Clemson loses twice in conference
-UofL wins out, wins the division, and wins the ACC championship game.
-Either the PAC-12 or the Big XII champion loses a game.

I doubt a Clemson fan is going to be willing to sign up for that scenario, so I completely understand if you do not agree!

Agreed with PushupMan that the "less chaos" version is where Clemson loses twice, but that's just not going to happen. This will be the last weekend that I root against Clemson; if somehow NCST beats Clemson this weekend then I'll root against Clemson at FSU.

Otherwise, Go Tigers. Clemson winning out, Worshington losing, Alabama/aTm losing when they face each other, all that's the Cards at #5 or #4 with the world wanting to see Heisman winner Lamar in the CFP (which helps). Need to destroy everyone from here out. Louisville had its chance to control its destiny in Death Valley but failed to do so.

Clemson not apt to lose twice. Once doesn't help us (That I am aware of). Looks like we need to win and Washington needs to lose. Go Cards

Barely squeaking by Duke won't get us in the playoff picture. We need Clemson to lose two. Go wolf pack

Why does everyone say Clemson needs to lose twice? If NC State wins today and we beat them, then all 3 of us could have 1 loss. What would be the tiebreaker?

Depends. The first tiebreaker is head to head. Clemson already has that against us. If all three teams have lost only to each other then I think the tiebreaker is highest ranked team in CFP.

Depends. The first tiebreaker is head to head. Clemson already has that against us. If all three teams have lost only to each other then I think the tiebreaker is highest ranked team in CFP.
I think if Clemson loses to State we will jump ahead in the rankings

That's possible, and probable. Clemson is really tough at home though, so I don't think they're going to lose today. NC State plays physical and hard, but they're also undisciplined. Way too many stupid mistakes.

I just don't get this Clemson can't lose twice opinion after what we've seen so far this season. They were a FG away from losing today and still might. Going to Florida State is not going to be easy as it will be FSU's chance for a big win. And we saw how the Cards looked last night against Duke.

Anybody can lose to anybody. The best chance the Cards have to making the playoff is by winning the ACC. If not, it will take a lot of luck.

Why does everyone say Clemson needs to lose twice? If NC State wins today and we beat them, then all 3 of us could have 1 loss. What would be the tiebreaker?

Yeah but Clemson would go to the ACC championship game by virtue of
winning head to head against UofL, i believe.

Best guarantee is UofL to win out and Clemson lose two. They go to FSU, who
will beat them.

The second loss could be against Pitt, but it would beat home.

That might have happen but would have fallen back to the same issue, we don't have anybody but Houston left on our schedule. If Clemson then won out against FSU, they would have jumped us. But a mute point anyway.

That might have happen but would have fallen back to the same issue, we don't have anybody but Houston left on our schedule. If Clemson then won out against FSU, they would have jumped us. But a mute point anyway.
I'm sorry but it's a "moot" point not mute.

There are not going to be two teams from ACC in playoff. Needed Clemson to lose 2.

Based on today's result I would agree. This is the worst case scenario, they keep winning ugly. But I would also say if they keep playing like this losing two is definitely possible.

Based on today's result I would agree. This is the worst case scenario, they keep winning ugly. But I would also say if they keep playing like this losing two is definitely possible.
Nobody breezes through the season without an ugly game. Did you ever get the feeling that UofL might lose the game? Duke just made it an ugly slow game with the way they played.

Nobody breezes through the season without an ugly game. Did you ever get the feeling that UofL might lose the game? Duke just made it an ugly slow game with the way they played.

Guess I wasn't clear on which team. That was talking about Clemson.

For us, I agree, it was a painful and "ugly" pace, but it did feel like we still had control of the game for the most part.

Still need Clemson to lose two because Houston sure ain't helping us. They got FSU on the road next week and a tricky Pitt team at home in two weeks.

The best chance for the Cards is Clemson losing twice but one of those losses could be in the ACC championship game. If Clemson loses to say FSU and then plays say UNC in the ACC title game and loses, that could get us in. UNC already has two losses so even though they would be the ACC champs, getting the nod over the Cards would be very unlikely.

Of course if Clemson were to lose to FSU and Pitt that would mean the Cards would be in the ACC title game and would again control their own destiny. Of course this assumes the Cards win out. I think Clemson may lose to FSU but I can't see them losing to another ACC team on their schedule. That FG miss by NC St really hurt. But I can see the Tigers losing to UNC who I think is the best team in the coastal division. I agree there won't be two ACC teams in the playoff unless something really wild happens to OSU and Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT