ADVERTISEMENT

Right around the corner

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Time to start thinking about some baseball.
I think the lineup changes will be even faster and more furious than last season.
Do we know who the 3rd and 4th starters will be?
I think 5 of the every day spots are set,but that leaves 4 more if you include the DH spot.

Thoughts?

Reactions: PHCARD
Time to start thinking about some baseball.
I think the lineup changes will be even faster and more furious than last season.
Do we know who the 3rd and 4th starters will be?
I think 5 of the every day spots are set,but that leaves 4 more if you include the DH spot.

Thoughts?

I don't think... Scratch that. I know I have never been more excited for baseball to start. Expectations are a funny thing. It's extremely difficult to achieve them. This team has what it takes. They are as capable as any other baseball team to win the CWS. All the pieces are there.

The deepest team in the history of the program will present oppurtunities for some, headaches for the head coach and a lot of good baseball for the fans. I can't wait myself.

Been thinking about who might get the last weekend pitching spot and the mid week start.
I know Luke probably will get one of those,but it might not be the weekend.
There are several mid week games on the slate that are RPI boosting games. It will be interesting to see if Luke becomes the guy we want in that spot.
Perkins and a healthy Kerry Wright are candidates for starting jobs.

Been thinking about who might get the last weekend pitching spot and the mid week start.
I know Luke probably will get one of those,but it might not be the weekend.
There are several mid week games on the slate that are RPI boosting games. It will be interesting to see if Luke becomes the guy we want in that spot.
Perkins and a healthy Kerry Wright are candidates for starting jobs.
Difference between this team and earlier teams, so much pitching depth! But it’s only half the battle of having it is to know how to develop and use it.

Difference between this team and earlier teams, so much pitching depth! But it’s only half the battle of having it is to know how to develop and use it.
There are a couple of true Freshman pitchers that looked good during Fall. Normally, I'd say they might get their oppurtunities and we might see them some,but unless there are injuries,they might not.
I can say the same for Bennefield and Thornton in the infield. Two guys drafted out of his, they'll play, but how much is still to be determined. It looks like because of the 2 JUCO outfielders that Dunn will be our SS,Lavey returns to 2nd and Binelas at 3rd.
Unbelievable depth.

I think Oriente stays at DH for the most part. Just seems, defensively, there should be better options (even though he doesn’t suck). I wouldn’t be surprised to see Luke as the middle innings guy. He can start...but, it seems like he can come in and give you two innings or seven innings as needed. Having someone like that is a bonus.

Last edited:
I have, almost daily, checked gocards.com for an updated baseball roster. Still nothing. So, I emailed the athletic dept. and I got a response. Basically, they are still figuring it out and it won't be posted for another week or two. I take that as a good sign. There's just so much talent and competition. It also highlights an aspect of college baseball I find rather interesting. You can be a part of the team, but it doesn't mean you make the roster.

Reactions: Bardman
It also highlights an aspect of college baseball I find rather interesting. You can be a part of the team, but it doesn't mean you make the roster.

Does this mean that college baseball only allows so many on the roster? Does someone get “called up” per say if there is an injury? I’ve never noticed anyone playing that wasn’t on the roster. Curious CardX?

have, almost daily, checked gocards.com for an updated baseball roster. Still nothing. So, I emailed the athletic dept. and I got a response. Basically, they are still figuring it out and it won't be posted for another week or two. I take that as a good sign. There's just so much talent and competition. It also highlights an aspect of college baseball I find rather interesting. You can be a part of the team, but it doesn't mean you make the roster.
I had no idea that it hadn't been released yet. Coach Mac and the other coaches splitting hairs about the last few spots. It's not hard to see why...
There was a lot of intensity in the scrimmage yesterday. I understand why now.

Last edited:
New Any reports from the scrimmage yesterday? insights?
I saw about 5 innings. Man... I've never seen so much depth on any of our teams. Prosecky is one of the Freshman pitchers I was impressed with.
I tell you what, although we lost Wyatt and Fitz, this group looks like the grown up version of last year. There are some physically impressive players on this team...young men.
There are some serious battles going on,not only for those last few roster spots,but also for those every day spots.

It's a furious end to the Spring practices,as those last couple spots on the roster are being contested.
I really couldn't say who they are. It's that close.
As far as the lineup goes,look for Lavey,Dunn, Binelas and Davis to anchor 4 of those 9 batting positions.
Britton,Bianco, Danny O, Luke Brown,Levi Usher,along with Sophomores Bennefield,Borden, Masterman and Freshman Dalton Rushing will play a lot.
Hard to see those upper class men sitting a lot.Jmo.

I inadvertently left Jared Poland out of the group of guys that will see plenty of action.

Stopped by for a few innings yesterday.
Bobby Miller looks great. His fastball was consistently around 95, but he was throwing a lot of off speed pitches.
The Freshmen pitchers continue to impress me. I think this is where there are some real battles going on for roster spots.
Webster, Prosecky,Kuehner and now Harris have all shown something.
They will all have bright futures down the road here.

Stopped by for a few innings yesterday.
Bobby Miller looks great. His fastball was consistently around 95, but he was throwing a lot of off speed pitches.
The Freshmen pitchers continue to impress me. I think this is where there are some real battles going on for roster spots.
Webster, Prosecky,Kuehner and now Harris have all shown something.
They will all have bright futures down the road here.

A non playground day? I wish my grandchildren were still that age. :) Can’t wait to get back in March for baseball. Might I add to early spring weather in The Ville.?

Reactions: earsky
Thoughts on Poland. More infield action or on the mound? Seemed like he had enough success on the mound we would see him for short stints.

Thoughts on Poland. More infield action or on the mound? Seemed like he had enough success on the mound we would see him for short stints.
I understand him wanting to be able to do both but not sure he’ll get a lot of opportunities in the infield. On Sunday during the scrimmage he played 2nd base for the Red team and made a error on what I thought was a routine grounder. We have quite a few guys who can also hit looking for spots and I’m not sure there’s enough separation for him in the field. We also have a ton of arms as well so I think that’s why he wants to stay versatile. I heard that Perkins is out for the year so I think a closer’s role is there for the taking.

Perkins out. That’s not good. Poland seems like the type who could close from the right side. He really pounded the strike zone and has velocity.

I think Poland will play some at 2nd. Just not sure how much. He, like others, caught up in an infield logjam worsened by Dunn moving back in to short.
He is a baller though, and I think he may just move into that middle relief spot,if not close.

I just saw CMs presser. A couple of things. Look for Metzinger to be that 2nd catcher.
Lavey will be the predominant SS,with Dunn going to 2nd. Thornton and Poland look to be the next 2 at those positions.
Looks like Detmers on Friday, Miller on Saturday and Smith on Sunday.

Four Freshmen pitchers will be on the roster and get opportunities out of the pen or midweek starts. Lefties, Prosecky, Kuehner, Webster and right hander Hawks.
Expect to see Rushing see the field early, either at 1st or DH.
I do think Bianco has a slight edge, mostly because he is a 3rd year guy.
CM leans on the veterans.

Has anything been said about Binelas? The scrimmage game I went to he played the field at 3rd but did not hit. Later on in the game, he went to the plate but didn’t swing at a single pitch. Wondering what kind of injury would allow you to field and throw but not swing a bat?

He talked about injuries in general,but didn't mention Binelas by name. Hopefully, he's okay.

When you have this much depth is in the pitching staff you are going to win a bunch of games. The weekend starters are legit. The weekday starter is the only real question mark with Perkins out. Plenty of options but it is an under appreciated member of the pitching staff. Plenty of arms in the pen with flexibility....righty-lefty.

We will have to see what happens on offense. A lot of turnover on that side which makes it tough to predict. Tough matchup right out of the gate for inexperienced hitters. That place will be packed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT