ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino - New NCAA Allegations

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
The NCAA has issued new allegations against former Louisville head basketball coach Rick Pitino in the school’s infractions case with Brian Bowen’s recruitment, according to USA Today. The new allegations come from Merl Code’s “Black Market” book, detailing Pitino as complicit in a bribery scheme for his former player, Bowen.

In Code’s book, he details his conversations with the shoe company Adidas and its executives as a consultant, per USA Today. In those conversations, the NCAA came to the conclusion that Pitino was aware of and authorized a $100,000 offer to Bowen’s father to get him to play at Louisville, per the report.

https://247sports.com/college/louis...ick-Pitino-Brian-Bowen-allegations-190864947/

Appreciate you sharing the story and the LINK supporting the allegations. As for me, this sounds more like a newspaper printing a headline that is based on 3rd party hearsay. As I understand, Code wrote in his book that was his Boss who told him that Pitino agreed to accept Adidas efforts in landing Bowen.

Aside from Code repeating what his Adidas management told him, there is no indication that “Adidas help” was in the form of a $100K payment. Adidas or Nike assisting a school’s Head Coach in placing a recruit at the school is not only legal and “business as usual” ….. it was already been entered into the record, as Pitino testified early on that Adidas came to him at the last minute trying to find a spot for Bowen.

I suppose if there is indeed direct testimony from an Adidas Executive saying there was a $100K deal for Bowen that specifically included Pitino‘s advance knowledge, then I would say the NCAA has a case. As for me, why would Pitino need to know about the money if it’s between Adidas and Bowen?

Seems to me the NCAA wants to levy tough sanctions. However, the NIL would make the NCAA look petty imposing that, so they found a new charge with a huge dollar amount against a stained head coach that they feel will shield them from persecution after they impose tough sanctions against UofL.

We will see but if they try to suspend Pitino for any length of time with zero facts that support their claim he is going to have a field day in court. Pitino has the FBI that found he/Louisville were the victims. You start messing with individual rights and their contracts that doesn’t seem wise unless you have a lot of facts supporting the claim.

The NCAA can’t take parts of a book that that fits their opinions and not use other parts of the book. The book makes a lot of claims against other schools yet they haven’t issued any NOA.

This whole thing is ridiculous.

Not surprised that USA Today would publish this story, but rather shocked the NCAA would announce that they are conducting an investigation based on hearsay ……. but somehow Pitino‘s success through all the litigation must have been perceived as a stain against the NCAA.

It is Rick Pitino that must be made to pay the price. There was very, very little that was going on at UofL during Pitino's reign that he didn't know about. In other words, he knew. UofL, and we as fans, were made to pay the price for hiring this meglamaniac as our coach and NOW it is his turn. Yes, it's a shame because he is a truly gifted coach, but his ego continues to get in the way and we, as UofL fans, are continuing to pay the price. I, for one, am damned tired of seeing this guy's name in print as though he is some kind of basketball God to be worshipped instead of being held accountable for being a total jerk.

GO CARDS!!!

It is Rick Pitino that must be made to pay the price. There was very, very little that was going on at UofL during Pitino's reign that he didn't know about. In other words, he knew. UofL, and we as fans, were made to pay the price for hiring this meglamaniac as our coach and NOW it is his turn. Yes, it's a shame because he is a truly gifted coach, but his ego continues to get in the way and we, as UofL fans, are continuing to pay the price. I, for one, am damned tired of seeing this guy's name in print as though he is some kind of basketball God to be worshipped instead of being held accountable for being a total jerk.

GO CARDS!!!
Well, Rick was unaware of strippers being snuck into Minardi Hall during the middle of the night on multiple occasions, so, there are some things that got by him. But, before NIL, recruits were always getting paid. It was just part of the business. I think for plausible deniability purposes, Rick was kept out of the loop with the specifics, such as who got paid what and when. But he and all coaches are aware that part of CBB existed, so it's easy to say he knew.

Per Tim Sullivan's article in the CJ, U of L is 100% in Pitino's corner on this new revelation from a convicted felon...

Well you guys can believe what you want to believe and for some of you it's probably the first time your EVER believed anything Sullivan or the curious urinal said. I, for one, lost all trust for King Ricky a long time ago and I think he knew everything that went on at UofL and the dormitory situation. He is a total snake in the grass and liar and I'm one that totally supported his hiring at UofL. I was wrong on that count to say the least. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Thank God that he is gone and that we now have a coach that can be trusted to do the best he can do for UofL and his players.

GO CARDS!!!

The way I look at Pitino's exit in hindsight is the same way I look at James Ramsey's. Both guys could have done a better job handling some of their issues as anyone can be accused of. In Pitino's case, the issues were more commonplace and probably should have cost him his job eventually.

But both guys faced investigations and potential consequences from entities like the NCAA, the FBI, the State Auditor, and local criminal and civil prosecutors/attorneys over their behaviors. And neither guy was found responsible for anything more than jay walking.

That's pretty intensive scrutiny with pretty meaningless consequences, and it's good enough for me to judge "guilt and innocence"...

Reactions: Smithereen
Well you guys can believe what you want to believe and for some of you it's probably the first time your EVER believed anything Sullivan or the curious urinal said. I, for one, lost all trust for King Ricky a long time ago and I think he knew everything that went on at UofL and the dormitory situation. He is a total snake in the grass and liar and I'm one that totally supported his hiring at UofL. I was wrong on that count to say the least. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Thank God that he is gone and that we now have a coach that can be trusted to do the best he can do for UofL and his players.

GO CARDS!!!
I can understand how you've arrived where you are, but I see it as a situation where an older coach lost control of the program at critical spots. I don't think Pitino knew about any of it or approved any of it. That doesn't excuse him since he's ultimately responsible. I just doubt any intent on his part to commit these violations.

MiI can understand how you've arrived where you are, but I see it as a situation where an older coach lost control of the program at critical spots. I don't think Pitino knew about any of it or approved any of it. That doesn't excuse him since he's ultimately responsible. I just doubt any intent on his part to commit these violations.
Sorry Mike but pigs won't be flying anytime soon. Good ole Rick "Mr. Clean" knew everything that went on in this basketball program OR any other program he was ever affiliated with. But he was smart enough to get someone else to take the blame. And you said it best, "that doesn't excuse him since he's ultimately responsible" and that says it all. The problem is that he is much, much too willing to let others take the "hits" while he skates away scott free. That is the definition of a "snake in the grass".

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: pappy52 and Deeva
My good friend GOCDS: it is entirely possible to both dislike and distrust Rick Pitino, yet accept that he (and yes UL) was unaware of the events in Minardi Hall and the arrangements between Adidas and Brian Bowen.

I do not like RP, but there is more than sufficient evidence that supports Pitino not being aware of these NCAA violations. Luke and several other UL occupants in Minardi Hall testified under oath that despite living in the dorm, they were totally UNAWARE of the parties that McGee was hosting with strippers.

The record also shows that Brian Bowen was not even a UL recruit at the time Adidas brought Brian in late in the process as a candidate for UL. The communication started and evolved throughout the process with Adidas; whatever money was being negotiated would have been between Adidas and the Bowen family ……. there was never any need for UL to enter into the discussion of “pay for play”.

I will concede that living arrangements at the Galt House after arrival in Louisville opens up opportunities for assistant coaches to assist Bowen, something that Pitino may or may not have known about. However, that is a far cry from these weak allegations about the $100K.

Well, Rick was unaware of strippers being snuck into Minardi Hall during the middle of the night on multiple occasions, so, there are some things that got by him. But, before NIL, recruits were always getting paid. It was just part of the business. I think for plausible deniability purposes, Rick was kept out of the loop with the specifics, such as who got paid what and when. But he and all coaches are aware that part of CBB existed, so it's easy to say he knew.
Hell, given his track record and what we keep finding out, do you really believe he didn't know what was going on at Minardi Hall and just let it happen? The Sgt Schultz response just doesn't fly with me anymore regarding Rick...

Reactions: pappy52 and gocds
Hell, given his track record and what we keep finding out, do you really believe he didn't know what was going on at Minardi Hall and just let it happen? The Sgt Schultz response just doesn't fly with me anymore regarding Rick...
Why would he allow it? What advantage would it have had for the team? There's no logic at all that Pitino would have accepted what McGee was doing. At worst he would have stopped it and tried to cover it up.

Before this, Pitino hadn't come close to committing any violations and was a total outlier of top coaches at top schools not recruiting the one and done player. If he wanted to cheat or gain some advantage, allowing stripper parties was not the solution.

Pitino was guilty of trusting Andre McGee and being too negligent in monitoring his assistants. I believe after the sordid details came to light, Pitino was embarrassed and eventually apathetic to all that was coming from it.

His handling of the Bowen thing to me shows this apathy as he already felt the damage to his legacy was already done. I don't know if he knew what was going on with Bowen but if not for the stripper scandal, I believe he would never had even considered Bowen.

Does anyone in the "Rick knew it" camp seriously believe that Pitino was aware of and approved this elite line-up to illegally recruit kids to U of L?

02.jpg

And do you also believe that this adolescent was Pitino's mastermind behind it?

mcgee%20idiot_zpstg1xiawp.jpg

I'd like a little of what some of you guys are smokin... 🚬 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: rmac
Rick had no idea a assistant coaches would execute a plan to hire $5 hookers from someone that had nothing to lose. This was an epic level of stupidity. I am still amazed how stupid and naive McGee was. Rick hired him——the old saying you hire your problems was true here.

Rick knew the game and part of the game was not ever getting details of the actual transaction. Even the LSU coach wasn’t ever caught talking actual dollars. Rick didn’t play that game you could tell by his recruiting. Landed very few Top 20 guys.
With that said he got lazy on Bowen. He knew there were red flags and still took him even being on probation.

It is a really unreal set of circumstances that has led to where the program is at today.

Sorry Mike but pigs won't be flying anytime soon. Good ole Rick "Mr. Clean" knew everything that went on in this basketball program OR any other program he was ever affiliated with. But he was smart enough to get someone else to take the blame. And you said it best, "that doesn't excuse him since he's ultimately responsible" and that says it all. The problem is that he is much, much too willing to let others take the "hits" while he skates away scott free. That is the definition of a "snake in the grass".

GO CARDS!!!
I don't think either of us are going to change the other's mind at this stage. I can see your point of view, but to me, I just can't believe Pitino knew about the strippers and greenlighted that effort, or ignored it. I think it's just a case that Pitino's ability to properly monitor the program was in decline.

I think we are just discussing a minor detail. I'm guessing we both agree on a lot more of this than we disagree, namely that I don't want Pitino back. We just have different reasons for arriving at similar conclusions.

At the end of the day, as they say in the legal profession, ignorance (of the law) is no excuse. Pitino is ultimately responsible. I see it as job failure but not that he was complicit in the violations.

Reactions: gocds
I've said many times in the aftermath of Pitino... I may defend him on some of these finer points, but I'm not arguing he should still have a job. My central issue is and has always been HOW he lost it. Clowns fired him with no regard for the fallout in the basketball program. They were oblivious to how many fans and donors we would lose, they didn't care, or that was their objective.

Witnessing what has happened (and hasn't) to other schools and coaches, I've softened on whether there are terms and circumstances under which Pitino could have still been coaching here. But I ain't losing sleep over his departure. His negligence was grounds for what happened to him, but it hardly caused the damage that has been and continues to be done to this basketball program...

Reactions: 2330859
It’s OK to hate on RP, and it’s totally appropriate to assign RP responsibility for failing to administer sufficient oversight for his staff. However, any UL fan willing to believe RP was either complicit, or even aware of those events that led to NCAA sanctions, are doing so in the absence of any evidence. In fact, despite efforts by several factions inside and outside the NCAA, the testimony in both civil and criminal depositions and trials found no evidence of his participation.

I believe Rick needed to resign, based on his own acknowledgement that his negligence in managing his assistants and his program were worthy of his voluntary termination, something that I believe TJ would have successfully negotiated without the Clowns intrusion.

While I am glad RP is gone, I just believe, as Zipp stated above, the process executed by the Clown Show was not only unnecessary and counter-productive; the subsequent consequences of that hasty response only made our self punishment significantly more severe.

However, any UL fan willing to believe RP was either complicit, or even aware of those events that led to NCAA sanctions, are doing so in the absence of any evidence. In fact, despite efforts by several factions inside and outside the NCAA, the testimony in both civil and criminal depositions and trials found no evidence of his participation.

Look at them ho's. Rick ain't know shit bout dem ugly nasty stank trick-ass ho's. Hyperbole - but also true - if Rick was gonna get ho's, he'd get 5* ho's flown in from Vegas, not these nasty tricks.

Reactions: Smithereen
everything i've ever heard about RP was that he was a micromanager and that he always knew everything that was going on. then when this happened, somehow he was just the captain, letting his underlings self manage themselves and he had no idea any of this could be going on. i mean you have to trust him don;t you? shouldn't we all 100% trust someone cheating on his wife in a restaurant? as a person, rick is and was a doucher. great coach, bad person. he constantly criticized player in the press, told lies constantly, cheated on his wife and family and yet you could still think he knew nothing and is tellign you the truth he knew nothing? all things being equal it's usually the simplest explanation that is the truth. he knew everything about everything.

Reactions: pappy52 and gocds
Actually, those who followed RP during his time at both UK and UL offer a much different opinion as it applies to Pitino as a micromanager. Rick spent a great percentage of his time away from Lexington and his wife Joanne during his tenure at UK, well before he arrived as the coach at UL, While coaching at UK, he was a fixture at Porcini Restaurant here in Louisville at every opportunity. At that time, I had a secretary who was a huge UK fan who worked at night as a hostess at Porcini. Unsolicited, she shared that her friend and co-worker was having an affair with Pitino that lasted for over a year.

Pitino had a legendary tight entourage at UK who were intensely loyal and protective of his privacy, and his most competent staff did everything for Rick other than run the practices and games. Pitino had no reason to micromanage when he had that level of support who he entrusted to attend to those responsibilities. The LHL and the CJ refused to publish the rumors out of their intense devotion to BBN, all of which changed the moment that he was named HC at UL.

If you need more firsthand knowledge as to the level of isolation that Pitino maintained from Minardi Hall, just ask the players, as they have been on record as having never seeing Rick visit there. Over time at UL, Rick lost those assistants and staffers who he had become so reliant upon; I believe that contributed to his failures.

Pitino preached and thought he knew everything that was going on. History has proven otherwise, at least later in his career.

And let’s be honest, Pitino routinely said things that weren’t true.

This isn’t about believing Pitino (or not). It’s about understanding the evidence obtained through systematic investigations…

Well said Zipp. There was never anything for me to like about Pitino, but I try to weigh the facts, and listen to the testimony of those who were in position to confirm or deny the accusations ………… he clearly is a person who lacks moral character, but I still cannot find any credible evidence of his having personal knowledge or participation in either “strippergate” or “Brian Bowen-gate”.

Well said Zipp. There was never anything for me to like about Pitino, but I try to weigh the facts, and listen to the testimony of those who were in position to confirm or deny the accusations ………… he clearly is a person who lacks moral character, but I still cannot find any credible evidence of his having personal knowledge or participation in either “strippergate” or “Brian Bowen-gate”.
Well then, even more reason why NCAA is correct that CRP was guilty of lack of institutional control....

Nobody has proven those things didn't happen...

Pitino preached and thought he knew everything that was going on. History has proven otherwise, at least later in his career.

And let’s be honest, Pitino routinely said things that weren’t true.

This isn’t about believing Pitino (or not). It’s about understanding the evidence obtained through systematic investigations…
In my opinion, and I believe when RP spoke, pigs were flying. His constant quotes were mostly BS and he was always talking. This still does not take away from his ability as a basketball coach as he is still among the best at coaching ever. Just wish his moral compass was as up to date as his coaching ability. I believe the evidence is that his lack of morality cost UofL dearly and nothing has been said to convince me otherwise. I hope he never darkens our door again.

GO CARDS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT