ADVERTISEMENT

Rick named in indictment states he knew

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
NBC stating someone is saying that Rick really knew about payments and is involved another person other than Dawkins saying Rick is in it .

What they saying has nothing to do with Dawkins . They claiming another rat named Augastine is saying Rick is involved

Didn’t change a whole lot although it will make for a little more headache for Pitino. Unless they have something on a wiretap.

If this unsealed indictment were proven true, it would kill Pitino’s lawsuit against UofL but would kill UofL with the ncaa

Reactions: mike48
If this unsealed indictment were proven true, it would kill Pitino’s lawsuit against UofL but would kill UofL with the ncaa
Man, I really like your posts but I disagree. There really is nothing earthshakingly new in this.
There's part of me that's saying the NCAA is worn out with all this coming out during their watch.
I really don't see them piling on.
You're administration has already terminated the coaches involved, and the players discussed haven't played a minute, so there's no penalty there.
I really believe whatever the decision of the appeal is, it's over.

It’s what I’ve been saying all along if Rick didn’t know that helps us. If he did not good. Could explain the quick action by Postel and the BOT.

Dan Wetzel (Yahoo Sports) is now reporting that court documents allege that Pitino was aware. Maybe they’ll take mercy on us since we terminated both Pitino and Jurich. That’s the only hope we have. Well unless the whole thing goes Nuclear throughout the NCAA

Reactions: wilkie01
It’s what I’ve been saying all along if Rick didn’t know that helps us. If he did not good. Could explain the quick action by Postel and the BOT.

Dan Wetzel (Yahoo Sports) is now reporting that court documents allege that Pitino was aware. Maybe they’ll take mercy on us since we terminated both Pitino and Jurich. That’s the only hope we have. Well unless the whole thing goes Nuclear throughout the NCAA

The documents Wetzel are referring to are from the unsealed indictment of Dawkins. Dawkins said that he instructed Pitino to call Gatto at Adidas to authorize payment to Bowen’s dad. It’s basically hearsay unless there is some other corroboration.

Man, I really like your posts but I disagree. There really is nothing earthshakingly new in this.
There's part of me that's saying the NCAA is worn out with all this coming out during their watch.
I really don't see them piling on.
You're administration has already terminated the coaches involved, and the players discussed haven't played a minute, so there's no penalty there.
I really believe whatever the decision of the appeal is, it's over.

I agree there is basically nothing new here. The only game changer would be if there was some way to corroborate what Dawkins said.

Reactions: Deeva
The documents Wetzel are referring to are from the unsealed indictment of Dawkins. Dawkins said that he instructed Pitino to call Gatto at Adidas to authorize payment to Bowen’s dad. It’s basically hearsay unless there is some other corroboration.
It is not hearsay if Dawkins attests to what happened. Pitino's alleged "agreement" may be hearsay, but Dawkins testimony that he told Pitino about paying Bowen is direct evidence that Pitino knew. Now, of course, you can impeach Dawkins' credibility in an attempt disprove what he is saying, but it is not hearsay.

This is a surprise? Wow.

In the indictment, indicted co-conspirator Christian Dawkins, a former sports agent, explained that while "Coach-2" and the University of Louisville were recruiting the student-athlete, he asked Coach-2 to call Gatto to request that Adidas provide the money requested by the family of the student-athlete, which Coach-2 agreed to do.

It is dicey for Pitino and his lawsuits. No way he wins his lawsuit against Louisville, if he files one, the University had no choice but to let him go. I doubt this ends up in court so we may never know.

There really is nothing new, It was already reported Coach 2 was allegedly aware of the deal. Is it safe to say the FBI didn't find any information directly linking Pitino to the Bowen situation?

It is very strange Pitino would take a call from a guy that he barely knows asking him to contact Adidas for more money. Then agreeing to make it happen. It doesn't fit Pitinio because that would be incredibly reckless, stupid, and blatantly cheating while on probation.

Who knows at this point. I am not sure why Dawkins would lie to the FBI that doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do either.

It is dicey for Pitino and his lawsuits. No way he wins his lawsuit against Louisville, if he files one, the University had no choice but to let him go. I doubt this ends up in court so we may never know.

There really is nothing new, It was already reported Coach 2 was allegedly aware of the deal. Is it safe to say the FBI didn't find any information directly linking Pitino to the Bowen situation?

It is very strange Pitino would take a call from a guy that he barely knows asking him to contact Adidas for more money. Then agreeing to make it happen. It doesn't fit Pitinio because that would be incredibly reckless, stupid, and blatantly cheating while on probation.

Who knows at this point. I am not sure why Dawkins would lie to the FBI that doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do either.

Pitino and coaches would have heard of Dawkins before. Dawkins is looking at prison time and lying to the FBI only gets him a bigger sentance.

Reactions: zipp and Deeva
Wake up Card fans, Jurich and Pitino were both fired to avoid the death in basketball. Keeping those two men would have resulted in the NCAA camping on Louisville's campus.

It is not hearsay if Dawkins attests to what happened. Pitino's alleged "agreement" may be hearsay, but Dawkins testimony that he told Pitino about paying Bowen is direct evidence that Pitino knew. Now, of course, you can impeach Dawkins' credibility in an attempt disprove what he is saying, but it is not hearsay.
Most people don't understand the legal definition of "hearsay", but your point is irrelevant. It's still weak as a form of evidence considering that the source is implicated in the alleged crime.

And in this case, it's largely fake news because the only "news" is that Dawkins is formally saying that. That was already attributed to Dawkins in the investigator's filed complaint.

But slapd!cks should keep working at this!...

Last edited:
Wake up Card fans, Jurich and Pitino were both fired to avoid the death in basketball. Keeping those two men would have resulted in the NCAA camping on Louisville's campus.
The new guys in charge wanted the old guys with power gone. Tha's what we have "awakened" to...

Reactions: Louisvillian
...Who knows at this point. I am not sure why Dawkins would lie to the FBI that doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do either.
Dawkins can probably get away with lying because it can't be disproven. But as Dan said, he has a lotta incentive to try to cover his a$$ and deflect blame...

I agree there is basically nothing new here. The only game changer would be if there was some way to corroborate what Dawkins said.
And there probably isn't which makes it just about worthless as evidence...

Most people don't understand the legal definition of "hearsay", but your point is irrelevant. It's still weak as a form of evidence considering that the source is implicated in the alleged crime.

And in this case, it's largely fake news because the only "news" is that Dawkins is formally saying that. That was already attributed to Dawkins in the investigator's filed complaint.

But slapd!cks should keep working at this!...
My point is irrelevant because you think direct testimony is a "weak as a form of evidence" because the person testifying is implicated in the alleged wrongdoing? Well, if that was the case, the conviction rate in federal court would be about 20% instead of 90%. He is of course biased, and he would be impeached on that basis (as all implicated informants are that are trying to get cooperation credit), but that doesn't make the evidence weak or irrelevant...far from it.

My point is irrelevant because you think direct testimony is a "weak as a form of evidence" because the person testifying is implicated in the alleged wrongdoing? Well, if that was the case, the conviction rate in federal court would be about 20% instead of 90%. He is of course biased, and he would be impeached on that basis (as all implicated informants are that are trying to get cooperation credit), but that doesn't make the evidence weak or irrelevant...far from it.
Personal testimony is great if you have 50 people in a room vouching they heard Pitino say the same thing into a microphone. When you have one conflicted and indicted witness saying it, you have the other end of the spectrum.

Couch it any other way you want, it's evidence--slapd!ck evidence in this instance--that on its own, Pitino's lawyers aren't concerned about. They already said so.

"Elite program", my a$$...

DONn2p7WkAES56f.jpg:large

Reactions: Cue Card and SoulSr
The key fact that UL needs is Pitino is mentioned as participating in the Federal indictment. It's up to a court of law to be triers of fact not UL. I think the level of justified termination is a helluva lot lower than criminal accusations, but Pence is doing what he can to spin this to get Pitino a lot of $$$

UL NEEDED this to come out and bolster UL as regardless, Pitino has been fired. Period. Fans can argue whether any of this crap was true, false, ambiguous or WTF ever, BUT UL is looking at $42-$44 million liability in the face, and the best thing for the PROGRAM is for this liability to go away

Pitino’s apparent passing of the polygraph further weakens dawkins claim. I’m sure pence will find a way to get that in during any trial.

As for lying to the fbi - there’s never a good time to do that but, the best time to try is in a he said - she said, when there’s no corroboration to disprove the claim.

Reactions: Deeva
I agree with Ghost on this one. Pitino is his own man, and Jurich is his own man. Jurich was loyal to Pitino to a fault and it ended up costing him his job once the new BOT got the marching orders to seal his fate.

I really doubt Pitino would be directly involved in paying any player. He's just smarter than that. He might have been (and probably was) involved just not directly. There is no way he would do that. He would protect his plausible deniability at all cost.

The key fact that UL needs is Pitino is mentioned as participating in the Federal indictment. It's up to a court of law to be triers of fact not UL. I think the level of justified termination is a helluva lot lower than criminal accusations, but Pence is doing what he can to spin this to get Pitino a lot of $$$

UL NEEDED this to come out and bolster UL as regardless, Pitino has been fired. Period. Fans can argue whether any of this crap was true, false, ambiguous or WTF ever, BUT UL is looking at $42-$44 million liability in the face, and the best thing for the PROGRAM is for this liability to go away
U of L won't be able to make bank on Pitino being alleged with anything. And there's little chance he will ever be convicted based on what we've heard so far as evidence. Not when the criminal prosecution standard is very high. So in all likelihood, charges against Pitino will never even be brought.

None of that bolsters U of L in a wrongful termination/breach of contract lawsuit. They'll have to argue the case on the merits as we know them to be. U of L can't afford to lose a $40 million judgment, and Pitino won't want to walk away with nothing. So like most cases, it will probably be settled--in this instance, for something like $5-10 mil and paid over time.

As far as what benefits U of L, the institution, I couldn't care less at this point with these scumbags in charge. If their legacy is ineptness and financial ruin, it would be well deserved...

The new guys in charge wanted the old guys with power gone. Tha's what we have "awakened" to...
The new guys in charge were put there to try and fix a major university that had lost a big chunk of their endowment.

That sounds like the working title of chuck smrt’s next report - lol.

You need to stop lumping Jurich in with pitino wilkie.
How do you not lump the two together? Pitino so much as says he shouldn't be held accountable for two rogue coaches in a short time and Jurich shouldn't be held accountable for the issues either?
Sounds like you're saying no one should be accountable.

How do you not lump the two together? Pitino so much as says he shouldn't be held accountable for two rogue coaches in a short time and Jurich shouldn't be held accountable for the issues either?
If you’re really this obtuse, I can’t help you.

The new guys in charge were put there to try and fix a major university that had lost a big chunk of their endowment.
  • You need data to back up that claim.
  • You need to show where the former guys acted inappropriately and/or outside their authority.
  • The former guys were the ones who built the Foundation.

What's best is for the truth to be revealed. If RP was involved I hope that comes out in clear undeniable evidence. If he was not involved, I hope that too comes out in clear undeniable evidence. It won't get RP his job back but it certainly would help clear his name which would only be right. And I believe that clear undeniable evidence will come from James Gatto. I think he will cut a deal with the FEDS.
And he is the one guy who knows if RP was involved or not.

The $40MM potential liability is hanging over UL because the BOT rushed to judgment. Arizona and Miami have not fired their head coaches and those schools are facing similar claims as UL. I understand that the Powell matter heightened ULs sense of urgency. In my opinion the prudent thing to do would have been to suspend RP and TJ indefinitely until it was clear exactly the extent of UL's involvement. But the reason they did not want to do that is they wanted these guys out and this was their chance. They rolled the dice. And if they are wrong their heads should roll.

There is no doubt in my mind UL is going to be writing a check to TJ in the 4 - 6 Million Range. If they also end up having to write a check to RP for god knows how much if its clear he had nothing to do with this, then I would hope Grissom would have the dignity to resign from the BOT. And Pappa should right the checks.

Reactions: SoulSr
U of L botched the easiest solution. Should've let Tom and Rick continued through this season negotiated buyouts with their resignations at end of season. Win Win for everyone Rick and Tom could have been giving their just due.The players that signed under Rick could've been coached at least one year by him And we fans would see a very good coached team for one last time before sanctions take their toll.

Papa has a lot less money to write checks. And his issue is he never had the money that adidas has...

U of L botched the easiest solution. Should've let Tom and Rick continued through this season negotiated buyouts with their resignations at end of season. Win Win for everyone Rick and Tom could have been giving their just due.The players that signed under Rick could've been coached at least one year by him And we fans would see a very good coached team for one last time before sanctions take their toll.
All U of L really had to do was let Jurich and Pitino work under conditions they didn't like. It's almost a certainty Jurich would have left voluntarily. Pitino maybe not as much only because he had nowhere to go. But these goons couldn't wait to get control...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

All U of L really had to do was let Jurich and Pitino work under conditions they didn't like. It's almost a certainty Jurich would have left voluntarily. Pitino maybe not as much only because he had nowhere to go. But these goons couldn't wait to get control...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg
If you want somebody gone just let them hang around under you and they will leave on their own pretty much!

Reactions: zipp
Dear Diary,

Today I agreed with redfistfury3. Anything is now possible.

BPGhost

Reactions: Morgantown Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT