ADVERTISEMENT

Remember this Card Fans

wilkie01

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Planet Red
David Padgett did not recruit them players he is coaching. Rick Pitino had not been recruiting well for several years. Pitino would have several losses also , if he was coaching this talent short team in 2017. I think the big question is: can David Padgett recruit the players needed to win at the ACC level? I hope David Padgett is successful, because he is a good guy.

I don't think it's a question of talent. The team has plenty of talent, but they are lacking an identity right now.

We need to be patient as a fan base, but that's hard because we're spoiled as UofL fans. We expect a team that plays at a high level from the opening tip and when we don't see that, we complain. It's the nature of the beast I guess.

Maybe we should start to worry when it stops bothering us. :cool:

Last edited:
Kerry totally nailed it. It would be a miracle to get an NCAA tournament win with what has transpired. I go and cheer at the games, am hopeful that the banner stays. Next year, and the year after that is just a dark tunnel. We are in sports hell right now, and will continue to be until the resolution of the FBI investigation and the NCAA rulings. Actually hoping the NCAA blows up and the power 5 self-creates a league similar to football-because the players need some sort of compensation with the obscene money in college athletics now. Jimbo gets 75 million guaranteed? What does that say to somebody like Chucky Williams-who has busted his butt for 5 years, gets a degree in communications and goes to work as a telemarketer for $12 bucks an hour?

Interior players have no 'beef'.....and have a hard time defending players inside that do. Who is responsible for that?

Bring back 'MANGO", at least he had some muscle and knew how to use it to the best of his abilities.

Anas and Deng.....are just two string bean defenders who get pushed around underneath. One can't dribble and the other thinks offense and rebounding are foreign words.

'Q' needs to settle down and find his stroke.

At least the freshman add some fresh skills to this team.....and we know who recruited them. (minus Bowen). Is it ok to use his name on this site now?

Just wish some vetting had been done my you know who before signing Bowen to the team so late in the recruiting season. This gift horse turned into a donkey pretty quickly.....and a lot of ass es were exposed over this "We didn't spend one dime in recruiting him player" that fell into our laps.

That will be one lap dance that no one forget anytime soon.....especially Rick.

...Just wish some vetting had been done my you know who before signing Bowen to the team so late in the recruiting season. This gift horse turned into a donkey pretty quickly.....and a lot of asses were exposed over this "We didn't spend one dime in recruiting him player" that fell into our laps...
The problem for me is that none of these concerns were raised prospectively. It's easy to say after the fact we should have done more. But the cows are way out of the barn.

I asked on various occasions whether blue-chip commits were L1C4--which is code for whether they were good for Pitino's system and even if he wasn't caring about that. L1C4 kids are the only ones he ever proved he could coach. Obviously, I didn't question whether they were recruited above board which was always assumed. The problem is Pitino didn't have that question either.

Maybe there were one or two others in this space questioning whom Pitino was signing. Mayo, maybe you were one. I don't recall many...

The key to this whole mess is the next head coaching hire. Hopefully we hire a guy that can flat X & O, but the key is RECRUITING. The guy has to be connected yet clean, damn that will be a task to find in today’s environment!

Tyra or whoever is the AD in place basically has the most important hire in UofL athletics history IMO. Now that’s pressure!

Coming from a sUcKs fan,I think this team has room for growth once the coaching staff gets acclimated to the team. The players are very talented, but the coaches just showed up into their roles. They did not get a preseason for themselves to figure out what to do with the guys. Replacing a legend will leave a shadow, especially with a rookie coach...but I see Padgett improving in his role as the season goes on. Will he figure it out in time, who knows? But this still is a dangerously talented team.

The problem for me is that none of these concerns were raised prospectively. It's easy to say after the fact we should have done more. But the cows are way out of the barn.

I asked on various occasions whether blue-chip commits were L1C4--which is code for whether they were good for Pitino's system and even if he wasn't caring about that. L1C4 kids are the only ones he ever proved he could coach. Obviously, I didn't question whether they were recruited above board which was always assumed. The problem is Pitino didn't have that question either.

Maybe there were one or two others in this space questioning whom Pitino was signing. Mayo, maybe you were one. I don't recall many...

My post was one of sarcasm mostly done in a questioning way. Bad habit of mine. :mad:;):rolleyes:

Plenty of red flags went up/off for me when I heard Rick's comments about Bowen. I kinda of glossed it over and saw it as Rick just being hyperbole Rick. o_O

I did not comment about it at the time on this board....but I did had a bad feeling about signing this kid....especially so late in the recruiting game. It is a curse to be born with a high sense of intuition. :oops:

The result of all this BS is that a lot of innocent folks have been caught up in this mess.....it will take years of damage control and some good fortune to clean this situation up. Cardinal basketball will be made fun of, or light of as a rogue program for years to come. ESPN will make sure of it. (sic, i.e. Dan Dakich already) One of more to come of that we can be sure of.:(

Really, I do not envy Tyra or Padgett at all. I do, however, pray for them and the school a lot these days. That is about the only control I have and see as what I personally can do for them. May be all of us should do the same.:cool::D

Reactions: zipp
The last three years speak for themselves. You have to cheat when you cannot get good recruits or hang it up.

The last three years speak for themselves. You have to cheat when you cannot get good recruits or hang it up.
"Good recruits" is a relative term... I believe Pitino was getting good enough recruits without the ones that get you in trouble.

In addition to being naive, Pitino IMO had a clock ticking in his head. He had maybe five years to win another title, and he was willing to stray a little from his recipe for success. I question whether Pitino would have successfully coached kids of Bowen's caliber since he has had trouble previously...

David Padgett did not recruit them players he is coaching. Rick Pitino had not been recruiting well for several years. Pitino would have several losses also , if he was coaching this talent short team in 2017. I think the big question is: can David Padgett recruit the players needed to win at the ACC level? I hope David Padgett is successful, because he is a good guy.

Tons of talent. Very little focus, inconsistent effort.

I hope CDP broke something in the locker room at halftime, just to get their attention.

I was wishing That Padgett would pull a Bobby Knight and throw a chair in the first half. No one could have blamed him. The Cards play was embarrassing.

It’s not talent.

Get up their @$$ Coach, they need to focus.

Go Cards

Kerry totally nailed it. It would be a miracle to get an NCAA tournament win with what has transpired. I go and cheer at the games, am hopeful that the banner stays. Next year, and the year after that is just a dark tunnel. We are in sports hell right now, and will continue to be until the resolution of the FBI investigation and the NCAA rulings. Actually hoping the NCAA blows up and the power 5 self-creates a league similar to football-because the players need some sort of compensation with the obscene money in college athletics now. Jimbo gets 75 million guaranteed? What does that say to somebody like Chucky Williams-who has busted his butt for 5 years, gets a degree in communications and goes to work as a telemarketer for $12 bucks an hour?

Their compensation is to play a kid's game well into adulthood and not have to have a nine to five job. They have an excellent opportunity to receive an education that the student sitting next to them is paying through the nose for. That is if they bother going to the classes and sitting through the lectures.

In addition, they are getting a free audition for a job in the NBA and free instruction for that job.

If it were not for UL most would be scratching out a living in some low income job, married to a fat women with three plus kids. They cannot pay the UL enough for the opportunities of prolonging their childhood and being given a chance for being productive after basketball.

UL can get along very well without football and basketball. I'm pretty sure that the great majority of the players cannot get along without UL.

Their compensation is to play a kid's game well into adulthood and not have to have a nine to five job. They have an excellent opportunity to receive an education that the student sitting next to them is paying through the nose for. That is if they bother going to the classes and sitting through the lectures.

In addition, they are getting a free audition for a job in the NBA and free instruction for that job.

If it were not for UL most would be scratching out a living in some low income job, married to a fat women with three plus kids. They cannot pay the UL enough for the opportunities of prolonging their childhood and being given a chance for being productive after basketball.

UL can get along very well without football and basketball. I'm pretty sure that the great majority of the players cannot get along without UL.

Just how much money do you think UofL would get outside of the athletic donations if not for athletics? I’ll answer...about enough to be a small commuter school. Don’t fool yourself into thinking UofL would be what it is today without recognizing the money these top level (BB and FB) programs bring in. These programs and athletes increase donations and funding. They are the economic engine. So yes UofL would still be here but not much more than what we were 40 years ago. I’m not advocating paying them but to ignore what athletics/athletes have done for funding and building UofL is ridiculous.

Just how much money do you think UofL would get outside of the athletic donations if not for athletics? I’ll answer...about enough to be a small commuter school. Don’t fool yourself into thinking UofL would be what it is today without recognizing the money these top level (BB and FB) programs bring in. These programs and athletes increase donations and funding. They are the economic engine. So yes UofL would still be here but not much more than what we were 40 years ago. I’m not advocating paying them but to ignore what athletics/athletes have done for funding and building UofL is ridiculous.

Ok, so solid academics have nothing to do with it? So ACC lowered its standards just for sports? You are missing the big picture here, I think.

Ok, so solid academics have nothing to do with it? So ACC lowered its standards just for sports? You are missing the big picture here, I think.

I’ve got a news flash for you academics didn’t get us into the ACC. As a matter of fact it nearly kept us out. Sports was the catalyst. And FB was the leading reason. I get the importance of academics but don’t fool yourself the average fans donations are specifically for sports. When sports are successful academics follow. Not saying it’s right but its reality. Now that we’re in the ACC it’s probably not as important, but getting us into the ACC it was most important. Not missing the big picture maybe his point.

First is nailing this academics vs. athletics debate. Has nothing to do with mission or principles, but everything to do with reality.

Keep preaching, brother...

Reactions: CardsFirst
This isn’t true. I can only speak for UK but their top donors don’t give for athletics. Examples include WT Young and the Gattons.

In fact, UK harnessed athletics fund raising so as not to compete with university. Guess what, it works. UK has exploded last ten years. UL has done great job with athletics but during that time UK totally focused on the institution. And athletics was fine, while they literally put billions into the school. It now has a medical complex and medical teaching institution that is fantastic. This is why UL needs to go find a president like Eli Capaluto.

UL has tons of potential but has had poor leadership.

This isn’t true. I can only speak for UK but their top donors don’t give for athletics. Examples include WT Young and the Gattons.

In fact, UK harnessed athletics fund raising so as not to compete with university. Guess what, it works. UK has exploded last ten years. UL has done great job with athletics but during that time UK totally focused on the institution. And athletics was fine, while they literally put billions into the school. It now has a medical complex and medical teaching institution that is fantastic. This is why UL needs to go find a president like Eli Capaluto.

That last sentence is a joke right? Yep I can tell that they’ve been successful with the upgrades and all those new facilities. Lol. And what programs are successful? I stated the average donations not the top donors. I’m not interested in the SuCk model I think UofLs growth over that same period in academics, athletics, and facilities has dwarfed anything SuCk has done. If anything SuCk should be using our model. We had a President who got out of control over paying individuals (Jurich isn’t one of them) but I can see the growth. And the University Hospital at UofL is a entirely separate entity. Totally different setup than SuCk. SuCk is playing catch-up and not doing very well at it.

Also, SuCk doesn’t get the same scrutiny as UofL meaning SuCk can do no wrong in the eyes of the local media and their fans so we will never know what truly goes on there.

Also, SuCk doesn’t get the same scrutiny as UofL meaning SuCk can do no wrong in the eyes of the local media and their fans so we will never know what truly goes on there.

Dont waste your time with cane-cat. Canes football fan, SuCkS basketball.

Even though they have a minor hand in taken down UofL athletics, UofL still
keeps chugging along.

73-70
44-17
knocked them out of the beisbol playoffs
Womens basketball team beat them.

UofL will be back on top.

Coming from a sUcKs fan,I think this team has room for growth once the coaching staff gets acclimated to the team. The players are very talented, but the coaches just showed up into their roles. They did not get a preseason for themselves to figure out what to do with the guys. Replacing a legend will leave a shadow, especially with a rookie coach...but I see Padgett improving in his role as the season goes on. Will he figure it out in time, who knows? But this still is a dangerously talented team.
Good post Hoptown.

...This is why UL needs to go find a president like Eli Capaluto...
The slapd!ck Prez makes more money than Doc Ramsey made, a guy who was reportedly stealing from U of L... (WARNING CJ LINK)

Decade%20of%20LPT%20Basketball_zps20w3vdfk.jpg

And now we have the answer to the question as to why all of those Nat Merit Finalists flock to uk rather than Ivy League schools.

Oh wait...

Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT