ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Ibleedblue1973

Getting the Hang of It
Nov 18, 2019
I've read multiple posts concerning recruiting. People claiming we will never recruit at a top 20 level. Just because we haven't done it before doesn't convince me that we can't now. My reason is coach Satt. People need to remember that we haven't had 1 coach stay longer than 4 years this century. That's rough. We have enough obstacles to overcome to also have that kind of attrition at The top.
I honestly believe Satt is and will be the difference here. He will stay for a long while because 1 you don't have to look too far into his file to see that he is a very smart individual. I believe he knows exactly what he has here and an old southern boy don't need the moon to be happy. The pay is excellent, the facilities are great, we have a dedicated fan base that deserves more and we reside in a power five conference with a manageable path to the play- offs.
2 He is next up in a long line of up and comers who had it made and jumped ship for greener pastures only to discover the inflated expectations that come with these type of jobs. I believe he is a guy who can be very happy appreciating what's right in front of him.
3. Accomplishing something at UofL that will make him remembered forever not to mention overcoming a challenge on this level is attractive to any competitor.
It has nothing to do with conference affiliation either. This guy has brought in 1 full class and it is ranked as high as most of Petrino' s best. Recruiting is a game of relationships. A recruiting relationship is a 2-3 year process. Recruits are steered toward certain programs by the people they trust the most. Parents, coach, guardian etc. And Satt is a guy who people seem to gravitate towards. He's go eat , down to earth , real and oh yeah, one he'll of a football coach.
Since the signing of our current class there have already been 3-4 articles about recruits saying they are interested in what's goin on here. I'm talking about highly rated players. I predict we are gonna witness a snowball type effect in recruiting. Word gets around at light speed nowadays and kids are listening. It won't take long to see that with Satt in charge at the University of Louisville there is something different in the air.
In the immortal words of UofL' s most insightful prophet. We are on a collision coarse with a championship. The time variable has ran its coarse. We have our man. Now its time to Go to work

Reactions: RalphDawkins
I agree staff continuity is the key to consistent recruiting success. The ACC provides the opportunity to keep him and key staff members longer. The head coaching movement within the power 5 doesn’t happen very much. It is still early but if Louisville ends up in the top 25 at the end of the year big time programs are going to be coming after him.

There is plenty of talent in the surrounding states to build a really good roster. Only time will tell if they can build a championship level program at this level.

It is really impressive how the players have bought in. The strength coach posted on Twitter the accountability board for the 1st time no names on the board. There are 100 players or 100 kids all of them bought in even the early enrollees. That is what you call all in.

Make no mistake him and his staff know how to build a sustainable program. At Louisville that is a 5-8 years process.

I don't know much about it. But, lack of #'s in the back yard + the competition with the state school for those players provide a challenge for the program to recruit at a high level.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Man if I were using a pc it would be better. Using my phone I'm just trying to get it done without hitting wrong letters. Content my man. Content

Reactions: PHCARD
Satt will recruit very well here and after 3-5 years of sustained success, he will start pulling 4-5 star talent to compete with elite programs. Mark it down.
Problem: with success, others come after staff members and Satt himself. We hoped for the same things with Charlie, but he never looked at us as more than a stepping stone. I hope CSS is different but if a Louisville native can turn us down, a guy with no ties here can leave easy. I hope you are right, though. It would be great.

Problem: with success, others come after staff members and Satt himself. We hoped for the same things with Charlie, but he never looked at us as more than a stepping stone. I hope CSS is different but if a Louisville native can turn us down, a guy with no ties here can leave easy. I hope you are right, though. It would be great.

Mama Satterfield doesn't like moving, and based on all accounts, loves The Ville. Mama usually wins. Also, unlike Charlie, I think CSS really isn't "cut like that". I think he believes he can win big here.

When you are able to recruit players that fit your style of play AND you are capable of coaching them up, you don't have to have a Top 20 class. If he so happens to start to bring in a 5* or two, then that's icing on the cake.

Coach just flipped a program heading south into an 8 win team in one season. This is not a 5-8 year rebuild, we've rebuilt, this is a program that will be seriously dangerous in 5 years. 2021 our defense should be stocked, and our offense will continue to reload.

Yes, schools will come for Coach Satt, it doesn't mean that he will bounce. He has an opportunity to win, and win big here.

Yes, schools will come for Coach Satt, it doesn't mean that he will bounce. He has an opportunity to win, and win big here.
I've been here long enough to know that when other schools come calling that we should worry.

And yes I think CSS will stay long enough to build us up, but the man left his alma-mater to come coach here when he had a team capable of making a New Years 6 bowl game. If he would leave his home for us, he’d def leave us for a bigger job.

Good thing about the ACC? Most other P5 jobs are now lateral moves. Clemson, Georgia, FSU, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, etc could come calling and he’s a southern guy. But if he does that well, then that means we’ve won a lot of ballgames and I’ll be happy.

New team rankings for the 2020 recruiting class were updated to coincide with the new player rankings that will be coming out.

1. Clemson
  2. Alabama
  3. Georgia
  4. Ohio State
  5. LSU
  6. Texas A&M
  7. Florida
  8. Michigan
  9. Tennessee
  10. Auburn
  11. Oregon
  12. Penn State
  13. Oklahoma
  14. Miami (FL)
  15. Kentucky
  16. Nebraska
  17. North Carolina
  18. Washington
  19. Notre Dame
  20. South Carolina
  21. Florida State
  22. Georgia Tech
  23. Texas
  24. Mississippi State
  25. Stanford
  26. Arizona State
  27. Purdue
  28. UCLA
  29. Wisconsin
  30. Maryland
  31. California
  32. Iowa
  33. West Virginia
  34. Colorado
  35. Mississippi
  36. Michigan State
  37. Louisville

I've been here long enough to know that when other schools come calling that we should worry.

And yes I think CSS will stay long enough to build us up, but the man left his alma-mater to come coach here when he had a team capable of making a New Years 6 bowl game. If he would leave his home for us, he’d def leave us for a bigger job.

Good thing about the ACC? Most other P5 jobs are now lateral moves. Clemson, Georgia, FSU, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, etc could come calling and he’s a southern guy. But if he does that well, then that means we’ve won a lot of ballgames and I’ll be happy.

The last few years, coaches have been reluctant to leave power 5 schools. Many of the most recent coaches have come from non-power 5 conferences. Iowa St.'s coach has yet to leave, and he's listed every year. Almost every recent new hire in the ACC has come from out of conference. The trend hasn't been to bounce at the first team to offer. We may keep Satt here longer than many are anticipating. VT will have to pay the man eventually, but I'm betting we keep him longer than 4-5 years.

If Satterfield gets and keeps us in the 25-35 range consistently, that would be a realistic goal in the immediate future, 5 years or so. That's as high as this program has ever been. And a good coach can win here with that level of talent.

History shows that football programs don't rise dramatically in their ability to recruit unless they've been there before. If Tennessee falls down the mountain, they can hire the right coach and ascend it more quickly. We cannot. It's a lot about tradition that we don't have.

And that unrealistic expectation shouldn't be made of Satterfield...

New team rankings for the 2020 recruiting class were updated to coincide with the new player rankings that will be coming out.

1. Clemson
  2. Alabama
  3. Georgia
  4. Ohio State
  5. LSU
  6. Texas A&M
  7. Florida
  8. Michigan
  9. Tennessee
  10. Auburn
  11. Oregon
  12. Penn State
  13. Oklahoma
  14. Miami (FL)
  15. Kentucky
  16. Nebraska
  17. North Carolina
  18. Washington
  19. Notre Dame
  20. South Carolina
  21. Florida State
  22. Georgia Tech
  23. Texas
  24. Mississippi State
  25. Stanford
  26. Arizona State
  27. Purdue
  28. UCLA
  29. Wisconsin
  30. Maryland
  31. California
  32. Iowa
  33. West Virginia
  34. Colorado
  35. Mississippi
  36. Michigan State
  37. Louisville

K

First post troll huh. I made this username so I could get back on puke' s board. I got banned in like record time my first trip over there. Seems UK fans aren't big fans of facts. Who knew?. Seriously bro let er rip if you don't believe me. I know and love my cards more than is healthy so take it easy and let's focus on how we are gonna get over the 8-10 win hump in the near future. Peace

The rankings show Louisville the challenge of being in the same division as FSU and Clemson. To really push those 2 Louisville would need to consistently recruit in the top 20. Not sure that is realistic.

The good news is they should be able to out recruit the rest of the Division on a consistent basis. That will give them the opportunity to have really good years. Until the playoff is expanded it will almost impossible to break into the playoff. The elite talent is so highly concentrated it is very tough to break through.

Last edited:
Reactions: zipp
I guess it's just me but I almost never even look at anyone's username. I can usually ( pretty easily too ) spot a troll by the content and wording of their post. Anyway...next.

The rankings show Louisville the challenge of being in the same division as FSU and Clemson. To be really push those 2 Louisville would need to consistently recruit in the top 20. Not sure that is realistic.

The good news is they should be able to out recruit the rest of the Division on a consistent basis. That will give them the opportunity to have really good years. Until the playoff is expanded it will almost impossible to break into the playoff. The elite talent is so highly concentrated it is very tough to break through.

Out recruit FSU? Surely you jest. Even NC St and the others have an unusually good year ever now and then too.

Control what we can and let the chips fall where they may.

Out recruit FSU? Surely you jest. Even NC St and the others have an unusually good year ever now and then too.

Control what we can and let the chips fall where they may.
Nobody has won the Division except FSU and Clemson. I agree teams can still have really good years, but not good enough to be in the playoff. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen just that is a a big challenge to build that level of program if you aren’t in a recruiting hotbed.

First post troll huh. I made this username so I could get back on puke' s board. I got banned in like record time my first trip over there. Seems UK fans aren't big fans of facts. Who knew?. Seriously bro let er rip if you don't believe me. I know and love my cards more than is healthy so take it easy and let's focus on how we are gonna get over the 8-10 win hump in the near future. Peace
If what you say is true and you’re banned over there anyway, I suggest you change your screen name here because a lot of people do judge on their screen name choices... Like Chapman...

If that was at me you missed. I was referring to the Phillycreed guy.

First post to show uk ahead of us.

I was just posting the new rankings because this week is the week every recruit gets reevaluated and new state and positional rankings come out.
After you’ve been here a while you’ll learn that “rankings” have never meant much around here.

They’re nice to talk about but some of our best teams had classes nowhere near the top 20.

Actually, NONE of our teams have had top 25 classes.

I like getting good recruits no matter where they are from. I think CSS should focus hard on local kids as much as he can. We have had great success when we get the best kids out of Louisville. Then fill the rest of the roster with Florida, Georgia, Ohio, etc. kids.

I like getting good recruits no matter where they are from. I think CSS should focus hard on local kids as much as he can. We have had great success when we get the best kids out of Louisville. Then fill the rest of the roster with Florida, Georgia, Ohio, etc. kids.
Louisville and Kentucky kids will at least be invested emotionally in the rivalry.

After you’ve been here a while you’ll learn that “rankings” have never meant much around here.

They’re nice to talk about but some of our best teams had classes nowhere near the top 20.

Actually, NONE of our teams have had top 25 classes.
I think rankings do matter but I don’t think overall rankings or team rankings are much different between like 15-20 and 35 or so. I think there will be a lot of really good 3 stars between each of those schools and the schools with the most top shelf guys can raise their ceiling depending on conference and coaching.

Rankings matter within Conference if there is a significant gap between teams. Clemson is a prime example of the talent gap between them and the rest of the ACC. Until that gap closes Clemson will dominate the ACC.

It is a good an indicator where your team will finish within their division. As long as the team has a good coach and program. Louisville will recruit with or better than everyone in their division besides FSU and Clemson. The rankings will show that over the next couple years. I expect them to finish in the top 3 in their division most years.

Coaching and player development is still the most important part of any program. FSU and Miami are good examples of high recruiting rankings but poor performance.

Rankings matter within Conference if there is a significant gap between teams. Clemson is a prime example of the talent gap between them and the rest of the ACC. Until that gap closes Clemson will dominate the ACC.

It is a good an indicator where your team will finish within their division.
True.

My thought is, every P5 conference has between 1-4 perennial top 20 recruiting school, hence “traditional” top 20 teams.

At this time we HAVE to “out recruit”, and out perform, the other 44 P5 schools.

Once we do this, then we can toy with the idea of going head-to-head with Clemson, Bama, etc.

I believe we are asking for disappointment to think we will suddenly start recruiting at a top 25 level.

Nobody else in the “bottom” 45 has. Not even uk and some of us drool over their recent recruiting success.

I believe we are poised to make a jump but it won’t happen overnight.

Reactions: zipp and Mayoman
Mama Satterfield doesn't like moving, and based on all accounts, loves The Ville. Mama usually wins. Also, unlike Charlie, I think CSS really isn't "cut like that". I think he believes he can win big here.

Coach Satterfield seems like the type of guy that will stay a while. It is usually the slimy agents that change their minds $$$$.

Louisville and Kentucky kids will at least be invested emotionally in the rivalry.
The “rivalry” is 1 game on our schedule. That shouldn’t be our goal. We’ve been to 2 BCS bowls the last 15 years. We’ve had a Heisman. Winning a game against a program that loses shouldn’t be our focus in building a roster.

Recruit the best players that fit our system and that have good attitudes and grades. I’ve never believed in a “hometown discount” unless the kid actually belongs. This is the ACC, we need top athletes now.

The “rivalry” is 1 game on our schedule. That shouldn’t be our goal. We’ve been to 2 BCS bowls the last 15 years. We’ve had a Heisman. Winning a game against a program that loses shouldn’t be our focus in building a roster.

Recruit the best players that fit our system and that have good attitudes and grades. I’ve never believed in a “hometown discount” unless the kid actually belongs. This is the ACC, we need top athletes now.
I did say “at least”

And you said "rivalry". Too much focus on slapd!cks by fans who bristle at being called "little brother"...
Rivalries are important; especially in college football. We need to dominate then again. Whether we like it or not, they are a rising program and wins over UK are important resume builders in the opinion-based world of cfb

Rivalries are important; especially in college football. We need to dominate then again. Whether we like it or not, they are a rising program and wins over UK are important resume builders in the opinion-based world of cfb
We’re supposed to beat UK, the media has never cared when we beat them. It’s notable when they beat us, that’s the difference.

Our goal now is to start being competitive yearly with Clemson and FSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT