ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Stars can be overrated/Rams trade 6 picks to draft Carson Wentz

TPE you have brought up yet another example of why the "star" system is flawed. At the end of the day the two things that are immeasurable are heart and attitude. If a youngster has those two things then their acceptance of coaching will pay great benefits for both the player AND the school/coach. This is the glaring weakness of the uahkay football coaching staff.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: The Public Enemy
This might say more about the continuing ineptitude of the Rams than it says about the problems of the HS rating system.

I know nothing about this QB other than he has never played against anything close to NFL competition. He might turn out to be very good but if I was an NFL GM I wouldn't stake my career by giving up a bunch of draft choices to get him.

This might say more about the continuing ineptitude of the Rams than it says about the problems of the HS rating system.

I know nothing about this QB other than he has never played against anything close to NFL competition. He might turn out to be very good but if I was an NFL GM I wouldn't stake my career by giving up a bunch of draft choices to get him.

Mainly because P5 teams are scared of that program. He did however beat Iowa St in Ames in 2014. Not exactly a bunch of NFL caliber but still a step up in the normal competition. And he dominated the talent on his level. I don't know that it's all that bad of a pick.

I do think that the rating system is flawed because it's mostly based on exposure. If a kid doesn't get to camps or send in his tapes his not going to be ranked regardless of his skill set. So he might have been a late bloomer or maybe he wasn't into the hype machine.

Reactions: American Male
Mainly because P5 teams are scared of that program. He did however beat Iowa St in Ames in 2014. Not exactly a bunch of NFL caliber but still a step up in the normal competition. And he dominated the talent on his level. I don't know that it's all that bad of a pick.

I do think that the rating system is flawed because it's mostly based on exposure. If a kid doesn't get to camps or send in his tapes his not going to be ranked regardless of his skill set. So he might have been a late bloomer or maybe he wasn't into the hype machine.

Every kid from high D1 to low level D3 recruits have their film available and attend camps. If they don't then they are not smart and don't like scholarships.

TPE you have brought up yet another example of why the "star" system is flawed. At the end of the day the two things that are immeasurable are heart and attitude. If a youngster has those two things then their acceptance of coaching will pay great benefits for both the player AND the school/coach. This is the glaring weakness of the uahkay football coaching staff.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
I don't know if the star system is flawed as much as this kid is an exception to the rule. The rule being that a kid ranked 5 stars out of high school is more likely to be a High draft pick than a no or 1 star.

I don't know if the star system is flawed as much as this kid is an exception to the rule. The rule being that a kid ranked 5 stars out of high school is more likely to be a High draft pick than a no or 1 star.

Look at the QB that Rivals had highly rated...look at the QB that actually produced in College and how the NFL views them coming out of College...it is very telling...

Plus, the 4 Best NFL Defenders-(JJ Watt, Richard Sherman, Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack) were completely afterthoughts and in Watts/Mack case they really didn't have scholarship offers.

In Wentz case he grew 7 inches from HS to College...

People can say whatever they want about how "stars" don't matter, but tell me the last team to win the National Championship whose team WASN'T full of 4 and 5 star players?

In this new era Michigan State did make the CFP recruiting players basically that were 3* players and look at the players that Art Briles has brought in or Gary Patterson has brought in...point being you can win a lot of games with 3* even in the SEC...Examples...Dan Mullens @ Mississippi State and Gary Pinkel @ Missouri...Coaching and player development are just as important...more important than recruiting to Subcription "Stars"....

Every kid from high D1 to low level D3 recruits have their film available and attend camps. If they don't then they are not smart and don't like scholarships.
that's your assumption and that's not true at all. Do a lot of kids attend "rivals" or "scouts" camps sure. And the more camps one can attend the more exposure there is. As far as tape being available it's mainly in the coaching staff of said HS then it is on the player. Are there parents out there putting their kids tape together sure that happens too. In the program that I coached in here in TX the head coach truly is the gatekeeper of information. He can give you the letters mailed to the school or he can keep them from you. He can raise money so his teams can travel to 7 in 7's or not. We had one kid who had D-1 talent and the others were lower level players. When it came to their recruitment it was more about the relationship the HC had with college coaches. HS recruiting is all about money and exposure. The more money you have the more exposure you can have. The only exception to this rule is if you play at a powerhouse program known for producing D-1 talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT