ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting rankings

rockycard

Four-Star Poster
Jan 8, 2007
Going back and looking at some of our players rankings, boy our staffs have developed players.

2*
Eric Wood
Breno Giacomini
Gary Barnadge
Amobi Akoye
Bilal Powell
Roy Philon
Greg Scruggs
Andrell Smith
Jeremy Wright

3*
Harry Douglas
William Gay
Preston Brown
Jason Brown
Calvin Pryor
DeVante Parker
John Miller
Elvis Dumervil

That list proves there is much more to recruiting than just looking at a star rating system. If the coaches who evaluated the talent weren't able to see the potential, then those great players go unsigned. It's just as much a testament to the great coaches as it is of signing great players.

Both are needed to succeed. JMO.

Last edited:
Yes, some great, overlooked athletes have came through this program, but we're going to have to step up recruiting if we want to compete at a higher level.

JMO

We have six kids that would be 4 stars if they committed somewhere else. They are 5.7 rated. 5.8 is a 4 star.
The bias is hard to understand.

It's pretty easy for me to understand that college football has never been an even playing field and that certainly includes the hype of recruiting.

Guys are still developing and ratings only identify the top skim at the time of (mostly) senior year of h.s. U of L fans need to keep a clear image of where our program has come from and not get too hung up on rankings (although after this Friday, we're #17 on Rivals, so not too bad). Highly ranked classes are correlated to highly ranked teams, but it's a weak correlation and only strongest at the top where it's usually more accurate.

Another thing I've noticed since our move to the ACC (a great thing to be sure) is some U of L fans snorting out a "mid-major" label about AAC teams (some of whom we do NOT own a program winning record against)...my point being how quickly our fan base is adopting the bs uneven-playing-field snobbery that comes with the new neighborhood. Mike Rutherford did it on the radio just this past week while discussing the Memphis QB (ok, well, ti's Memphis "State" so maybe it was just a dig at an old rival?).

For my part, I'd rather keep it humble (and at 1-3 it's not too tough to do) and turn a #17 into a top 5 or better class by outperforming at whatever level we find ourselves. We just lost to a pretty good "mid-major" that happens to be a university with around 40% more students. They haven't played an FBS team since so it's hard to tell if and how good UH is going to be by the end, but they're decent enough to beat us if we turn it over 4+ times lol. Go Cards!

I like what we've seen from our redshirt freshman and freshman and think the future looks pretty bright all in all. Beat N.C. State!

Last edited:
I actually think team ranking within the conference are a clear indicator of where your program will be in the ACC peaking order. The problem is people get too high on one class, the key is to consistently be ranked high within the division. Louisville has to recruit like this year 4 years straight then the foundation is set. That is a really difficult thing to do at Louisville. Louisville was year in year out at the top or near the top of the Big East and AAC. They need to be in the top 4 in the ACC to compete for conference titles year in year out. Especially when they are in the same division as FSU and Clemson. Top consistently compete for a realistic shot at the playoffs team ranking are very important indicator.

In any year you can have a magically run where everything goes your way but from a year in year out consistency perspective I want Louisville in the Top 4 of team recruiting rankings in the ACC.

Until we start recruiting better linemen...on both sides......we will be mediocre at best playing week In and week out in this conference.....

Seeing Clemson's defensive line this year was a real eye opener.....and FSU is much the same.

We have six kids that would be 4 stars if they committed somewhere else. They are 5.7 rated. 5.8 is a 4 star.
The bias is hard to understand.

I don't give these childish conspiracy theories any merit or thought. There is some agenda to downgrade anyone who commits to UofL and prop up anyone who commits to a traditional power. That's silly. This kind of stuff makes me think of 9-11 truthers.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Yes, some great, overlooked athletes have came through this program, but we're going to have to step up recruiting if we want to compete at a higher level...
Not sure how much "stepping up" is... But if the 2016 class holds anywhere near its current ranking, 2015 and 2016 will be the best back-to-back football classes ever recruited to U of L.

And by an incoming coach that some feared was not a good recruiter...

I don't have a negative opinion about Memphis or UCinn but the conference as a whole is weak. I'm not sure what schools you were referring to in the AAC that has a winning record against us. If they do it would be from their past history and not their current history.

Reactions: beasleythecard
It's pretty easy for me to understand that college football has never been an even playing field and that certainly includes the hype of recruiting.

Guys are still developing and ratings only identify the top skim at the time of (mostly) senior year of h.s. U of L fans need to keep a clear image of where our program has come from and not get too hung up on rankings (although after this Friday, we're #17 on Rivals, so not too bad). Highly ranked classes are correlated to highly ranked teams, but it's a weak correlation and only strongest at the top where it's usually more accurate.

Another thing I've noticed since our move to the ACC (a great thing to be sure) is some U of L fans snorting out a "mid-major" label about AAC teams (some of whom we do NOT own a program winning record against)...my point being how quickly our fan base is adopting the bs uneven-playing-field snobbery that comes with the new neighborhood. Mike Rutherford did it on the radio just this past week while discussing the Memphis QB (ok, well, ti's Memphis "State" so maybe it was just a dig at an old rival?).

For my part, I'd rather keep it humble (and at 1-3 it's not too tough to do) and turn a #17 into a top 5 or better class by outperforming at whatever level we find ourselves. We just lost to a pretty good "mid-major" that happens to be a university with around 40% more students. They haven't played an FBS team since so it's hard to tell if and how good UH is going to be by the end, but they're decent enough to beat us if we turn it over 4+ times lol. Go Cards!

I like what we've seen from our redshirt freshman and freshman and think the future looks pretty bright all in all. Beat N.C. State!
Who do we hate?
MEMPHIS STATE! Still do.

I don't have a negative opinion about Memphis or UCinn but the conference as a whole is weak. I'm not sure what schools you were referring to in the AAC that has a winning record against us. If they do it would be from their past history and not their current history.

We are 23-19-1 against Memphis - and only overrtook them in the post-modern era of our program. Certainly not a case for calling someone "mid-major."

We are 22-30-1 against Cincinnati. We were catching up but then HWSNBN happened.

My only point is U of L fans - in my opinion - should not use the term "mid-major." It's part of the system that held us back and it's beneath our own mission and purpose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT