ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Spalding Injury Update

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
When Ray Spalding fell hard to the floor attempting an offensive rebound during the second half of Louisville's 72-58 win over Syracuse, he felt pain and he felt fear. After the game, he was feeling relief, having suffered only a bruised left shoulder on a play that he thought could have produced a much worse injury.

Trainer Fred Hina "said I bruised it really bad, and I'll probably be really sore (Thursday morning)," said Spalding, whose shoulder was wrapped in an ice pack. "But that's all right. I'm fine."

Spalding, a freshman big man from Trinity High School, said he'd never fallen as hard on the court as he did Wednesday night after jumping to grab a missed shot and getting tangled with Syracuse's Michael Gbinije with about eight minutes to play.

It sure did look bad, I also noticed the Syracuse guy stood close for awhile. I thought we were lucky in regards to the injuries this year, I guess they're all coming late. I was wondering if Myhiang was granted a medical redshirt for this year.

This is my understanding on mathiang and medical redshirt. I don't believe you can play in more than 30% of the games. Right now mathiang has played in 10 of the 31
Regular season games. In cases of percentages you round up so he could play in 10 games and still qualify. Also since he got hurt in the first part of the season he would also meet basic qualifications for med redshirt. The med redshirt request is handled by the conference not the school and then possibly the NCAA. Don't know if Mango has applied or has to wait until season end.

It sure did look bad, I also noticed the Syracuse guy stood close for awhile. I thought we were lucky in regards to the injuries this year, I guess they're all coming late. I was wondering if Myhiang was granted a medical redshirt for this year.
As I understand Myhiang isn't interested in a redshirt due to his age. If he did redshirt he would be 25 when he graduated getting a little old for professional ball.

Didn't Mathiang redshirt his freshman year? He would have apply to the (oh, cr@p) NCAA for another redshirt year if that was the case

According to Mike Rutherford, Mangok would qualify for a medical redshirt. IIRC from the past, you don't make that application until you've exhausted your eligibility...

Agreed.^ I hope everyone will have ample time to heal during the off season and then come back healthy and strong for the next year. Providing there are no further post season bans and the team/coach holds together, it could be a special team next season.

Reactions: pervisl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT