ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue got hosed

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
It's amazing how bad officiating is in all sports. The two personal fouls on Purdue after scoring the go ahead TD was totally BS as was the pass interference call on Purdue that pretty much cost the Boilers the game.

It was like I was watching a Louisville game. Maybe Brohm coming to Louisville wouldn't change a thing when it comes to the zebras?

If you watch the pass interference call, it should have been OFFENSIVE pass interference.
It's funny, they were all Big Ten officials too. The two unsportsmanlike penalties called on Purdue on the db and Brohm was because they kept running their mouths. That DB was doing it all game.

I have watched thousands of college football over the years and I can't remember seeing 30 yards of personal foul penalties that were just words, on a team that just scored the leading touchdown with a minute to go in the game.

I knew once Syracuse got the ball at midfield they would win. Again it was like watching a Louisville game. Purdue might as well have been wearing red and black unis.

It's amazing how bad officiating is in all sports. The two personal fouls on Purdue after scoring the go ahead TD was totally BS as was the pass interference call on Purdue that pretty much cost the Boilers the game.

It was like I was watching a Louisville game. Maybe Brohm coming to Louisville wouldn't change a thing when it comes to the zebras?
Why was the game so close...I thought Syracuse was terrible

The interference penalty was the correct call; the replay showed the contact occurred well before the ball had arrived. Technically it was defensive holding. Unless you can read lips, I doubt you could hear what #87 said, but given the extended video, it must have been sufficient to call the penalty. If you really believe the additional 15 yards on the coaching staff was undeserved, just listen to what the Big Ten does this week in the conference reviews, as the games are scrutinized closely.

Like it or not, Purdue’s lack of self control cost them the game, and trying to blame the Big 10 crew is beyond belief.

The interference penalty was the correct call; the replay showed the contact occurred well before the ball had arrived. Technically it was defensive holding. Unless you can read lips, I doubt you could hear what #87 said, but given the extended video, it must have been sufficient to call the penalty. If you really believe the additional 15 yards on the coaching staff was undeserved, just listen to what the Big Ten does this week in the conference reviews, as the games are scrutinized closely.

Like it or not, Purdue’s lack of self control cost them the game, and trying to blame the Big 10 crew is beyond belief.
And yet - with all of that lack of self control - they still managed not to get curb stomped like sunbelt scotty did.

Ghost, you really struggle interpreting what is actually going on with these games, and with these programs.

If you were sincerely interested in an objective comparison of Purdue and UL performances, and the respective coaching staffs against Syracuse, you would need to go no further than examining the passing efficiencies of both QBs.

I’ll give you a clue ….. Malik’s passing efficiency against Syracuse was 24% which included 2 interceptions. O’Connell was 85.6%, despite one INT for a pick 6.

It is just that simple, and yet you have to blame Satterfield. The harsh reality is the Bobby Petrino left this football roster depleted. The departure of Travis’ provides evidence of how devastating it is for an incoming head coach to inherit a roster with so many limitations. Just take a look at Travis’ passing efficiency before his injury Friday night, which is in large part what Satterfield and this UL football program is missing.

Jeff Brohm had the luxury of an exceptional QB performance, and an efficient passing game at Syracuse, yet Purdue still lost as a result of his team having committed 5 penalties in the last 2 minutes of the game.

If Satterfield is fired as you and others hope, I expect the same mass exodus of our existing roster and our incoming recruiting class, as what we experienced when Petrino left.

Ghost, you really struggle interpreting what is actually going on with these games, and with these programs.

If you were sincerely interested in an objective comparison of Purdue and UL performances, and the respective coaching staffs against Syracuse, you would need to go no further than examining the passing efficiencies of both QBs.

I’ll give you a clue ….. Malik’s passing efficiency against Syracuse was 24% which included 2 interceptions. O’Connell was 85.6%, despite one INT for a pick 6.

It is just that simple, and yet you have to blame Satterfield. The harsh reality is the Bobby Petrino left this football roster depleted. The departure of Travis’ provides evidence of how devastating it is for an incoming head coach to inherit a roster with so many limitations. Just take a look at Travis’ passing efficiency before his injury Friday night, which is in large part what Satterfield and this UL football program is missing.

Jeff Brohm had the luxury of an exceptional QB performance, and an efficient passing game at Syracuse, yet Purdue still lost as a result of his team having committed 5 penalties in the last 2 minutes of the game.

If Satterfield is fired as you and others hope, I expect the same mass exodus of our existing roster and our incoming recruiting class, as what we experienced when Petrino left.
Have you invented your own college QB ratings system? Please explain how you arrived at the QB numbers that you listed when the official QB efficiency ratings for Cunningham and O’Connell vs Syracuse were 112.6 and 150.0 respectively.

And I’ll give you a clue - unless Cunningham is calling his own game - the play calls are from Satterfield. Part of the reason that O’Connell had a better QB rating against Syracuse is that Brohm did a better job calling plays to his strengths than Satterfield did with Malik.

You disagree with blaming Satterfield for basic things that a HC /OC is responsible for - recruiting, player development, play calling, execution / discipline but, are still giving him a pass by blaming Petrino?!? And you’re saying I’m not being sincere in the comparison?

Let’s examine some facts. Petrino has been gone for 4 1/2 years and this is Satterfield’s 4th year at the helm. You blame Petrino’s recruiting for Satterfield’s issues and yet, Satterfield’s best year as HC came in his first when he had Petrino’s players / roster. How long does it take to address roster imbalances to the point where you can have a winning record? In the ACC? You blame Cunningham and yet he has been the starter the entire time Satterfield has been here - where has the player development been? As for Jordan, he transferred in part due to being behind Cunningham on the depth chart and he’d still be behind Cunningham whether he was here or, if Malik transferred to FSU. If we’re being “sincere” - his efficiency prior to his injury was primarily due to UofL’s DBs not being able to cover or tackle. It’s the same reason that their inexperienced backup QB was able to come in and torch UofL’s secondary. And FTR - his QB efficiency rating was higher than Travis’.

And since you seem to struggle understanding this, the roster changes significantly every year. As for what happens with the roster when Satterfield goes - time will tell but, I can’t imagine that recruits are very excited about what they see with the downward trajectory Satterfield has the program on. And, whether he comes here or not - Brohm is simply a better coach.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
Have you invented your own college QB ratings system? Please explain how you arrived at the QB numbers that you listed when the official QB efficiency ratings for Cunningham and O’Connell vs Syracuse were 112.6 and 150.0 respectively.

And I’ll give you a clue - unless Cunningham is calling his own game - the play calls are from Satterfield. Part of the reason that O’Connell had a better QB rating against Syracuse is that Brohm did a better job calling plays to his strengths than Satterfield did with Malik.

You disagree with blaming Satterfield for basic things that a HC /OC is responsible for - recruiting, player development, play calling, execution / discipline but, are still giving him a pass by blaming Petrino?!? And you’re saying I’m not being sincere in the comparison?

Let’s examine some facts. Petrino has been gone for 4 1/2 years and this is Satterfield’s 4th year at the helm. You blame Petrino’s recruiting for Satterfield’s issues and yet, Satterfield’s best year as HC came in his first when he had Petrino’s players / roster. How long does it take to address roster imbalances to the point where you can have a winning record? In the ACC? You blame Cunningham and yet he has been the starter the entire time Satterfield has been here - where has the player development been? As for Jordan, he transferred in part due to being behind Cunningham on the depth chart and he’d still be behind Cunningham whether he was here or, if Malik transferred to FSU. If we’re being “sincere” - his efficiency prior to his injury was primarily due to UofL’s DBs not being able to cover or tackle. It’s the same reason that their inexperienced backup QB was able to come in and torch UofL’s secondary. And FTR - his QB efficiency rating was higher than Travis’.

And since you seem to struggle understanding this, the roster changes significantly every year. As for what happens with the roster when Satterfield goes - time will tell but, I can’t imagine that recruits are very excited about what they see with the downward trajectory Satterfield has the program on. And, whether he comes here or not - Brohm is simply a better coach.
Bump. Waiting for a response from you @2330859

There are people on these boards who will defend Brohm regardless of the facts.
Brohm’s players won the game. Until they didn’t all because they had zero self control.
Then, Brohm, not the ST coach, was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.
This was a black eye for Purdue and Brohm. There is no defense for how long #89 was in the face of the Syracuse player.
Yet this is what many Louisville fans want with their Brohmance affection for that guy.
He had his shot here and rejected it.

No Ghost, I do not have “my own QB rating system”, what I am doing is watching the games and comparing the performances of the QBs.

I can now understand why you believe that Satterfield play calling is responsible for our losses; clearly you obviously have no understanding of what the QB does in any of the offenses, much less Malik‘s responsibility in this offense.

Are you under the false impression that Malik does not have the ability to check off each and every play when he sees the defensive alignment, regardless of what comes in from the sideline? Are you not aware that each passing play has multiple receivers and route options that Satterfield cannot select for Malik during play action? Are you not aware that most all of the set running plays are designed as options for Malik to read the defensive movements as whether to hand the ball off or to keep? It may not be as obvious at the WF offense, but it is designed specifically for the QB to make the decision based on seeing the field in real time.

Allow me to refer you back to the first TD against Syracuse as an example of Malik making the right decision when seeing the seam in the LOS, and where the Orange LB lined up out of position …….. Malik correctly handed the ball off to Evans who was unimpeded to the end zone. Now, is Satterfield responsible when that same running play results in no gain? Conversely, was Satterfield any less or more responsible when Malik saw the outside LB mistakenly lined up over center, and he ran to that open side for a huge gain. Last question, who was responsible for the three interceptions, and the last incompletion that Malik has thrown, was it Satterfield or Malik? If you ever played QB at any level you would know the answers to each of those questions.

Satterfield, nor any HC/OC can read the defense in real time; that is the responsibility of the QB. Every QB has the ability to audibilize at the LOS, and/or has the discretion as to who receives the football.

Here is my suggestion to you, instead of typing out your Satterfield hate posts during the game, you might want to watch the action live, and then replay the tape in slower speed to see what is really going on. If you do that, you will see that execution (or lack thereof) whether it is good or bad is not about the play calling, but how each player executes.

Jeff “a bit better than Satt” Brohm is an ok Power 5 coach.

But we want more. We want better. Maybe Louisville is a step up from Purdue, but it’s a slight step up. Also with the Big Ten’s 100million contract, they have a lot more money to work with now. They also have some big money donors.

Again, we’re probably a step up, but it’s not like it’s like a step up difference between us and Bama. We’re both Power 5 programs at the middle tier at best. It’s not like coming here is gonna magically make him a better coach or that we have things here he doesn’t have at Purdue.

I mean “HE played here and he’s gonna try harder to succeed!!!” That’s just blind. No proof that he’d do better here just because he played QB here 30 years ago. You all act like he’s not giving 110% at Purdue now?

My thought is that if he was great, the results would show. Yeah he’s doing good to above average at Purdue, but he’s not doing amazing.

You can see what guys can do pretty quickly. James Franklin had freaking Vanderbilt ranked and winning 9 games multiple years. Urban Meyer took Utah to the BCS from a mid-major and developed a #1 pick.

Jeff Brohm is a coach that hovers around .500. Isn’t an ace recruiter. Doesn’t value defense. Has undisciplined teams. He wins big games against ranked teams, but he also drops some embarrassing games too. Now if he was a $2 million a year coach, fine, but he’s making $6-$7 million.

And my thoughts about recruiting here. Scott pulled a rabbit out of his hat in this 2023 class because other programs aren’t embracing NIL fully. That’s gonna even out soon once other programs catch up. Scott and Jeff both aren’t great recruiters. Neither have coached at a major/winning/powerhouse program.

If we want the status quo, keep Scott or hire Jeff. If we want to take the big step, go get a Tom Herman or an elite coordinator like Lebby or Gattis. Get people who can recruit big time talent (whether they have NIL or not) and get someone who has seen football played at the top level.

But we want more. We want better. Maybe Louisville is a step up from Purdue, but it’s a slight step up. Also with the Big Ten’s 100million contract, they have a lot more money to work with now. They also have some big money donors.

Again, we’re probably a step up, but it’s not like it’s like a step up difference between us and Bama. We’re both Power 5 programs at the middle tier at best. It’s not like coming here is gonna magically make him a better coach or that we have things here he doesn’t have at Purdue.

I mean “HE played here and he’s gonna try harder to succeed!!!” That’s just blind. No proof that he’d do better here just because he played QB here 30 years ago. You all act like he’s not giving 110% at Purdue now?

My thought is that if he was great, the results would show. Yeah he’s doing good to above average at Purdue, but he’s not doing amazing.

You can see what guys can do pretty quickly. James Franklin had freaking Vanderbilt ranked and winning 9 games multiple years. Urban Meyer took Utah to the BCS from a mid-major and developed a #1 pick.

Jeff Brohm is a coach that hovers around .500. Isn’t an ace recruiter. Doesn’t value defense. Has undisciplined teams. He wins big games against ranked teams, but he also drops some embarrassing games too. Now if he was a $2 million a year coach, fine, but he’s making $6-$7 million.

And my thoughts about recruiting here. Scott pulled a rabbit out of his hat in this 2023 class because other programs aren’t embracing NIL fully. That’s gonna even out soon once other programs catch up. Scott and Jeff both aren’t great recruiters. Neither have coached at a major/winning/powerhouse program.

If we want the status quo, keep Scott or hire Jeff. If we want to take the big step, go get a Tom Herman or an elite coordinator like Lebby or Gattis. Get people who can recruit big time talent (whether they have NIL or not) and get someone who has seen football played at the top level.

I like Gattis a lot. There are some red flags around Herman that I don’t UofL would want to sort thru.

I like Gattis a lot. There are some red flags around Herman that I don’t UofL would want to sort thru.
There are fla but then again I still remember how he took Houston to another level. He honestly wasn’t that bad at Texas. Coached under Urban, which that’s a big time coaching tree where he’d have a lot of great connections for a top staff.

He coached at in Texas and at Ohio State. That’s a lot of good territory and I think he’d embrace this place. Guy brought in the #1 recruit to Houston and got them in the NY6.

If I’m not mistaken, he’s gotten 2 different programs to a NY6 bowl game.

There are fla but then again I still remember how he took Houston to another level. He honestly wasn’t that bad at Texas. Coached under Urban, which that’s a big time coaching tree where he’d have a lot of great connections for a top staff.

He coached at in Texas and at Ohio State. That’s a lot of good territory and I think he’d embrace this place. Guy brought in the #1 recruit to Houston and got them in the NY6.

If I’m not mistaken, he’s gotten 2 different programs to a NY6 bowl game.

There are some concerns outside of his coaching skills. Given that he is out of coaching this year doesn’t help refute those concerns.

No Ghost, I do not have “my own QB rating system”, what I am doing is watching the games and comparing the performances of the QBs.

I can now understand why you believe that Satterfield play calling is responsible for our losses; clearly you obviously have no understanding of what the QB does in any of the offenses, much less Malik‘s responsibility in this offense.

Are you under the false impression that Malik does not have the ability to check off each and every play when he sees the defensive alignment, regardless of what comes in from the sideline? Are you not aware that each passing play has multiple receivers and route options that Satterfield cannot select for Malik during play action? Are you not aware that most all of the set running plays are designed as options for Malik to read the defensive movements as whether to hand the ball off or to keep? It may not be as obvious at the WF offense, but it is designed specifically for the QB to make the decision based on seeing the field in real time.

Allow me to refer you back to the first TD against Syracuse as an example of Malik making the right decision when seeing the seam in the LOS, and where the Orange LB lined up out of position …….. Malik correctly handed the ball off to Evans who was unimpeded to the end zone. Now, is Satterfield responsible when that same running play results in no gain? Conversely, was Satterfield any less or more responsible when Malik saw the outside LB mistakenly lined up over center, and he ran to that open side for a huge gain. Last question, who was responsible for the three interceptions, and the last incompletion that Malik has thrown, was it Satterfield or Malik? If you ever played QB at any level you would know the answers to each of those questions.

Satterfield, nor any HC/OC can read the defense in real time; that is the responsibility of the QB. Every QB has the ability to audibilize at the LOS, and/or has the discretion as to who receives the football.

Here is my suggestion to you, instead of typing out your Satterfield hate posts during the game, you might want to watch the action live, and then replay the tape in slower speed to see what is really going on. If you do that, you will see that execution (or lack thereof) whether it is good or bad is not about the play calling, but how each player executes.
Lol – you really got yourself worked up.

I asked if you had your own QB rating system because you came out with numbers that you assigned to Cunningham (24% which included 2 interceptions ) and O’Connell (was 85.6%, despite one INT for a pick 6). Where did you pull those numbers from?

Despite your lengthy response – you once again fail to answer the points/questions I raised and instead pivoted to something else. And despite our disagreement on this issue, I’ve done my best to keep things on topic rather than resort to condescension-filled personal attacks. If you would rather converse with each other in that manner – I suppose that I can as well.

So from your posts, here is what seems to be your take on things.
  • Any offensive issues are due to Malik and his inability to execute an otherwise dynamic and winning approach to play calling by Satterfield – either by failing to run the play as designed, audibling into a non-successful play on his own, failing to throw to the correct receiver, failing to either hand the ball off to the RB at the mesh point or, incorrectly keeping the ball himself.
  • Satterfield (and the other coaches) have no responsibility in preparing Malik (or the other offensive players) for the reads that he (they) should make against a current opponent's defensive scheme and, no responsibility for making sure that he is prepared? Any and all offensive breakdowns are not at all due to poor preparation – simply Malik’s (or others') inability to make the correct read.
  • Successful plays are a result of Satterfield’s play calling and never a result of Malik using his athleticism and simply making something out of nothing. Like when the OL can’t block the defense and Malik scrambles - that is just another example of Malik failing to make a good pre-snap read.
  • Incompletions and INTs are always a fault of Malik and always a result of his mental or physical inability to execute the otherwise winning play call by Satterfield. This also goes for receivers running routes too short to get a first down – this has nothing to do with the preparation that the coaching staff provides. Furthermore, no offensive pass play ever designates a “primary” receiver that the QB should target first – when the ball is snapped, Satterfield - like all coaches - has no idea where the ball should or, will go.
  • The only person in the stadium that can “read the defense in real time” is the QB – not the HC / OC on the sideline and not the coaches up in the coaching / press box. At no point – and I mean NEVER – does the offense line up as if to snap the ball only to stop and look to the sideline for a play call after the coaches have gotten a look at how the defense lines up. It is curious though - if Malik is the only one who can read the defense at that point, why would he even look to the sideline for the play call?
  • Despite the evidence (fake news) to the contrary, Satterfield is on a collision course with immense success at UofL – the only variable is if any of us will still be alive to see it.
Answer this though. If Malik is as incapable of running Satterfield’s offense as you make him out to be, why does he continue to be the starter? Why hasn’t Satterfield recruited over him? Why have the only highly rated QBs that Satterfield has recruited de-committed and gone elsewhere? Why has he only brought in a QB that signed with App St. and a couple of lightly recruited transfers? Even still, if Malik is as responsible for the offensive issues, why wouldn’t Satterfield bench him and start someone else, or give someone else major minutes?

For that matter – what is your answer to why, in Year 4, has Satterfield not recruited and or developed players that can execute his system? Why has he been unable to recruit and or develop enough players that there is some basic depth at each position? Why don’t players want to play for him?

I don’t need to run the tape back at a slower speed – I guess unlike you, I am able to make accurate judgments in real-time from what I’ve seen. And FTR – I played QB from grade school all the way through HS – but played baseball in college, as it was my primary sport. What position did you play BTW?

1. Unfortunately, UofL is not a step up from purdoo. Any thought of that went out the window with the latest round of realignment.
2. Coaching in the ACC is significantly easier than coaching in the B!G - a simple look at the schedules reveals that. Given Brohm's relative success in a more difficult conference, it certainly could be argued that he would have even greater success here.
3. No one said that he'd "try harder" at UofL than he is at purdoo. As stated before, the same effort level against easier opponents should yield better results at UofL.
4. James Franklin and Urban Meyer are not coming to UofL. And even if they (or their current coaching equivilents) were, by your own example - how long would they stay? Franklin left vandy after three years and Meyer bolted from Utah in two! Is that what you think UofL needs at this juncture?
5. For the school that he recruits to - and it’s academic requirements ' Brohm has done a fine job with recruiting. Showing the ability to win big games over top teams is an indication of talent level. And again, he's NOT making 6-7M a year - he is making 4.35M and the value of his contract should he stay the full term, would be 5.1M over the life of it.
6. Satterfield has proven - pre NIL - that he's a bad recruiter. As you indicate, only the influx and willingness of UofL to embrace NIL has gotten the verbals from those kids in 2023. IMO, another coach - be it Brohm or otherwise - could be similarly if not more so, successful moving forward.

Last edited:
Lol – you really got yourself worked up.

I asked if you had your own QB rating system because you came out with numbers that you assigned to Cunningham (24% which included 2 interceptions ) and O’Connell (was 85.6%, despite one INT for a pick 6). Where did you pull those numbers from?

Despite your lengthy response – you once again fail to answer the points/questions I raised and instead pivoted to something else. And despite our disagreement on this issue, I’ve done my best to keep things on topic rather than resort to condescension-filled personal attacks. If you would rather converse with each other in that manner – I suppose that I can as well.

So from your posts, here is what seems to be your take on things.
  • Any offensive issues are due to Malik and his inability to execute an otherwise dynamic and winning approach to play calling by Satterfield – either by failing to run the play as designed, audibling into a non-successful play on his own, failing to throw to the correct receiver, failing to either hand the ball off to the RB at the mesh point or, incorrectly keeping the ball himself.
  • Satterfield (and the other coaches) have no responsibility in preparing Malik (or the other offensive players) for the reads that he (they) should make against a current opponent's defensive scheme and, no responsibility for making sure that he is prepared? Any and all offensive breakdowns are not at all due to poor preparation – simply Malik’s (or others') inability to make the correct read.
  • Successful plays are a result of Satterfield’s play calling and never a result of Malik using his athleticism and simply making something out of nothing. Like when the OL can’t block the defense and Malik scrambles - that is just another example of Malik failing to make a good pre-snap read.
  • Incompletions and INTs are always a fault of Malik and always a result of his mental or physical inability to execute the otherwise winning play call by Satterfield. This also goes for receivers running routes too short to get a first down – this has nothing to do with the preparation that the coaching staff provides. Furthermore, no offensive pass play ever designates a “primary” receiver that the QB should target first – when the ball is snapped, Satterfield - like all coaches - has no idea where the ball should or, will go.
  • The only person in the stadium that can “read the defense in real time” is the QB – not the HC / OC on the sideline and not the coaches up in the coaching / press box. At no point – and I mean NEVER – does the offense line up as if to snap the ball only to stop and look to the sideline for a play call after the coaches have gotten a look at how the defense lines up. It is curious though - if Malik is the only one who can read the defense at that point, why would he even look to the sideline for the play call?
  • Despite the evidence (fake news) to the contrary, Satterfield is on a collision course with immense success at UofL – the only variable is if any of us will still be alive to see it.
Answer this though. If Malik is as incapable of running Satterfield’s offense as you make him out to be, why does he continue to be the starter? Why hasn’t Satterfield recruited over him? Why have the only highly rated QBs that Satterfield has recruited de-committed and gone elsewhere? Why has he only brought in a QB that signed with App St. and a couple of lightly recruited transfers? Even still, if Malik is as responsible for the offensive issues, why wouldn’t Satterfield bench him and start someone else, or give someone else major minutes?

For that matter – what is your answer to why, in Year 4, has Satterfield not recruited and or developed players that can execute his system? Why has he been unable to recruit and or develop enough players that there is some basic depth at each position? Why don’t players want to play for him?

I don’t need to run the tape back at a slower speed – I guess unlike you, I am able to make accurate judgments in real-time from what I’ve seen. And FTR – I played QB from grade school all the way through HS – but played baseball in college, as it was my primary sport. What position did you play BTW?
My apologies Ghost, your response was most respectful, as mine was condescending and inappropriate.

The statistics I shared were on the ESPN website, pretty convenient source. Once you pull up the contest, it provides both team’s statistics, and the “QB rating is at the right side of the individual’s passing performance”.

I should also acknowledge that Satterfield and staff do not get a free pass here, but as I have shared in another post, I believe Petrino left UL in an odd and difficult situation with respect to recruiting, and the reason he has not put anyone in ahead of Malik, is there is no real viable alternative. Malik is better than anyone else, but his passing game is not accurate or consistent.

Again, my apologies for previous post.

1. Unfortunately, UofL is not a step up from purdoo. Any thought of that went out the window with the latest round of realignment.
2. Coaching in the ACC is significantly easier than coaching in the B!G - a simple look at the schedules reveals that. Given Brohm's relative success in a more difficult conference, it certainly could be argued that he would have even greater success here.
3. No one said that he'd "try harder" at UofL than he is at purdoo. As stated before, the same effort level against easier opponents should yield better results at UofL.
4. James Franklin and Urban Meyer are not coming to UofL. And even if they (or their current coaching equivilents) were, by your own example - how long would they stay? Franklin left vandy after three years and Meyer bolted from Utah in two! Is that what you think UofL needs at this juncture?
5. For the school that he recruits to - and it’s academic requirements ' Brohm has done a fine job with recruiting. Showing the ability to win big games over top teams is an indication of talent level. And again, he's NOT making 6-7M a year - he is making 4.35M and the value of his contract should he stay the full term, would be 5.1M over the life of it.
6. Satterfield has proven - pre NIL - that he's a bad recruiter. As you indicate, only the influx and willingness of UofL to embrace NIL has gotten the verbals from those kids in 2023. IMO, another coach - be it Brohm or otherwise - could be similarly if not more so, successful moving forward.
I’m not saying we can get Franklin currently, but go get the next Franklin. If you go back to 2018, I was a big advocate of Luke Fickell at the time for that reason.

I think getting someone who has been around winning national titles and has seen what it takes to win at the highest levels is what we need.

Louisville thrives on the hungry coach. The killer coach. Maybe they see us as a stepping stone, but they’re shooting for the moon. Comfortable coaches produce comfortable results.

I want this result. @the artist FKA zipp talks about the Jurich era mindset we miss and that’s what our football team had with Bobby 1.0 and Charlie. Guys that wanted the world and didn’t stop until they got it. Reminds me of this scene from Mad Men.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
My apologies Ghost, your response was most respectful, as mine was condescending and inappropriate.

The statistics I shared were on the ESPN website, pretty convenient source. Once you pull up the contest, it provides both team’s statistics, and the “QB rating is at the right side of the individual’s passing performance”.

I should also acknowledge that Satterfield and staff do not get a free pass here, but as I have shared in another post, I believe Petrino left UL in an odd and difficult situation with respect to recruiting, and the reason he has not put anyone in ahead of Malik, is there is no real viable alternative. Malik is better than anyone else, but his passing game is not accurate or consistent.

Again, my apologies for previous post.
No worries - tense times in Card Nation. I agree, Petrino seemingly left all areas of recruiting - with the exception of offensive skill positions - in a very unhealthy position. It just seems that Satterfield has had enough time to address most of those issues that he inheirited. I've not seen that QB efficiency rating before - I typically don't go on the espn site. I was referencing the system that is used for NFL and modified for ncaa QBs.

Have a good day.

I’m not saying we can get Franklin currently, but go get the next Franklin. If you go back to 2018, I was a big advocate of Luke Fickell at the time for that reason.

I think getting someone who has been around winning national titles and has seen what it takes to win at the highest levels is what we need.

Louisville thrives on the hungry coach. The killer coach. Maybe they see us as a stepping stone, but they’re shooting for the moon. Comfortable coaches produce comfortable results.

I want this result. @the artist FKA zipp talks about the Jurich era mindset we miss and that’s what our football team had with Bobby 1.0 and Charlie. Guys that wanted the world and didn’t stop until they got it. Reminds me of this scene from Mad Men.

I get what you're saying for sure and, when you pick the right person - that is an effective plan. The problem is - when you have that amount of turnover, it puts tremendous pressure on the AD to get right more frequently. I think that Jurich was awesome but even he missed big time on 40% of his football hires.

There has been a lot of talk about the method that the yuts have employed with stupes and given the success they have had the last few years, their patience with him has paid off - despite him being an absolute horrible in game coach. He communicated a plan and set about it but what really has paid off for him, is no longer micromanaging his OCs. Perhaps Satterfield might be more successful if he backed off play calling and became the CEO of the program.

I get what you're saying for sure and, when you pick the right person - that is an effective plan. The problem is - when you have that amount of turnover, it puts tremendous pressure on the AD to get right more frequently. I think that Jurich was awesome but even he missed big time on 40% of his football hires.

There has been a lot of talk about the method that the yuts have employed with stupes and given the success they have had the last few years, their patience with him has paid off - despite him being an absolute horrible in game coach. He communicated a plan and set about it but what really has paid off for him, is no longer micromanaging his OCs. Perhaps Satterfield might be more successful if he backed off play calling and became the CEO of the program.
I think that Satt is a coach, like Bobby, where the program is all about his decision making. He’s the football guy and he calls the plays. He has to be involved in every facet.

That can win you games at a mid-major. Heck, you can even do well at a powerhouse program that has the unlimited resources for recruiting and strength/conditioning. But right now where Louisville is as a program, a guy that runs the whole show, micromanager, just isn’t what it takes.

Charlie wasn’t perfect and did play an easier slate of games in the Big East and AAC, but he understood what it took to win in power conference football. He really focused on building a top to bottom program. He knew what we needed for recruiting. He knew what we needed for training and facilities. He knew how to market. He knew what staff members we needed.

Scott only knows App State. That’s it. He has 0 experience at the top level. At App the culture was there and it was about him as the head guy running the show. He’s trying to build that here, but it’s a round peg in a square hole. He really can’t be a CEO because he doesn’t know how that needs to be done.

Ledford would be my ideal choice because I think he would be a CEO and it wouldn’t be a complete rebuild in terms of starting over. A lot of good ACC experience and now has NFL experience.

...I want this result. @the artist FKA zipp talks about the Jurich era mindset we miss and that’s what our football team had with Bobby 1.0 and Charlie. Guys that wanted the world and didn’t stop until they got it...
This is unfortunately the single biggest hurdle we face, and I mention it constantly in personal discussions about athletics. We now have a culture where mediocrity is OK. Of course, that's not said openly by anyone at U of L in charge. You have to discern that from things you see and hear anecdotally. A couple of examples...

Heard Mark Ennis on the radio this week talking about the environment and the crowd at the FSU game. He pointed out that the "lower bowl was filled" and how that was a good thing. Keep in mind that the "lower bowl" was TWO football expansions ago and represented the stadium capacity in 1998. It's now accepted as fact that we will never fill the rest of the stadium unless someone like Alabama miraculously shows up on the schedule. (God help us with the score on that one!) And the current regime is given a complete pass for not coming close to filling an obviously overbuilt stadium.

I'm keeping a running score that will eventually change with inflation, but every significant hire in athletics the last 5+ years has replaced a former staff member with one paid less money. By "significant," I'm talking about three positions: AD and the football and men's basketball coaches. So far, the record stands at 5 for 5...
  • Satterfield replacing Petrino
  • Mack replacing Pitino
  • Payne replacing Mack
  • Tyra replacing Jurich
  • Heird replacing Tyra
And I'll take my side of a bet--one I hope doesn't come to pass--that replacements for Dan McDonnell or Jeff Walz would add to this list.

When benchmarks aren't as important, the bar gets lowered and current performance is close to being OK. I predict Satterfield will return next year if he can get to five wins, and a lot will be said about the direction we're headed in football. For those of us old enough to remember, that direction is obvious...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT