ADVERTISEMENT

Power 5 reaching a tipping point. Breaking away becoming more of a reality?

I agree I hope this happens sooner than later. Our luck all the idiots in charge of the NCAA will be hired to oversee the new system.

They would be better at it because they could make new rules that allow them to pay the players. They cannot do that under the current structure, because the schools outside the Power5 would vote against it. Those schools do not make enough money to pay players what the Power5 schools can.

They would be better at it because they could make new rules that allow them to pay the players. They cannot do that under the current structure, because the schools outside the Power5 would vote against it. Those schools do not make enough money to pay players what the Power5 schools can.

I agree. Plus the fact that when there were violations there would be, hopefully, a more even handed punishment scale. Doing away with obvious “favoritism” that exist with the current NCAA. In fact, the favoritism just might be the issue that puts the kibash on a potential new organization. I cannot imagine certain schools being in favor of a new organization. Do I have to mention which ones?!?

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Schools inside the P5 would vote against it too. Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Northwestern, Baylor, etc.

Schools inside the P5 would vote against it too. Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Northwestern, Baylor, etc.

True, but such a vote doesn’t have to be unanimous. You must have a majority, which is why it’s not possible now.

True, but such a vote doesn’t have to be unanimous. You must have a majority, which is why it’s not possible now.
The votes are taken by conference. Within the conference, a supermajority is required. The ACC originally required 7 of 9 votes for approval of a measure. (I'm not sure what it is now. ) It takes fewer schools to block a measure due to the supermajority requirements.

The votes are taken by conference. Within the conference, a supermajority is required. The ACC originally required 7 of 9 votes for approval of a measure. (I'm not sure what it is now. ) It takes fewer schools to block a measure due to the supermajority requirements.

Supermajority is 75% or more, so 11 of 14. Not sure how you count Notre Dame’s vote in a hybrid league like ours. I could see Duke, WF, BC, maybe Syracuse voting against it, but then again they might not when you consider the bad publicity those schools would receive with the athletes. They might vote for it just so as not to give the other schools a recruiting advantage. Imagine how hard it would be to convince a player to go to a school that refused to vote for paying players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT