Power 5 reaching a tipping point. Breaking away becoming more of a reality?

Discussion in 'Forum: Louisville Football' started by CardX, May 27, 2020.

1. CardX

CardX Five-Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

2. KozmasAgain

KozmasAgain Three-Star Poster
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree I hope this happens sooner than later. Our luck all the idiots in charge of the NCAA will be hired to oversee the new system.

3. Mike'sMarbles

Expand Collapse

I hope the clock really is ticking. The next day after it's over, we should hang our 2013 banner.

4. Cardfan1937

Cardfan1937 New Poster, Show Me Love
    Expand Collapse

5. PushupMan

PushupMan Five-Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

They would be better at it because they could make new rules that allow them to pay the players. They cannot do that under the current structure, because the schools outside the Power5 would vote against it. Those schools do not make enough money to pay players what the Power5 schools can.

KozmasAgain and Mike'sMarbles like this.
  6. gocds

gocds 15000+
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Plus the fact that when there were violations there would be, hopefully, a more even handed punishment scale. Doing away with obvious “favoritism” that exist with the current NCAA. In fact, the favoritism just might be the issue that puts the kibash on a potential new organization. I cannot imagine certain schools being in favor of a new organization. Do I have to mention which ones?!?

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

KozmasAgain likes this.
  7. topdecktiger

topdecktiger 4000+
    Expand Collapse

Schools inside the P5 would vote against it too. Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Northwestern, Baylor, etc.

8. PushupMan

Expand Collapse

True, but such a vote doesn’t have to be unanimous. You must have a majority, which is why it’s not possible now.

9. topdecktiger

topdecktiger 4000+
    Expand Collapse

The votes are taken by conference. Within the conference, a supermajority is required. The ACC originally required 7 of 9 votes for approval of a measure. (I'm not sure what it is now. ) It takes fewer schools to block a measure due to the supermajority requirements.

10. PushupMan

Expand Collapse

Supermajority is 75% or more, so 11 of 14. Not sure how you count Notre Dame’s vote in a hybrid league like ours. I could see Duke, WF, BC, maybe Syracuse voting against it, but then again they might not when you consider the bad publicity those schools would receive with the athletes. They might vote for it just so as not to give the other schools a recruiting advantage. Imagine how hard it would be to convince a player to go to a school that refused to vote for paying players.

10 PushupMan, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020