ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Observations?

We beat a pretty good team. They had two defensive linemen that would start on any ACC team (except maybe Clemson). They have a bunch of seniors back from a team that won 9 games.

- our speed at skill positions is ridiculous
- pass protection was good enough. Was hoping we’d run the ball better. Liked seeing us kill the clock at the end of the game by running the ball, but honestly wanted to see that the entire 4thQ
- thought Micale shouldn’t be running the ball on that last series
- special teams were a disaster. WKU’s 3 scoring drives totaled 42 yards. Obviously punting is a mess right now. But we also had an ill-advised kick return and looked totally unprepared for the onside kick. Special teams made this game a 14 point win instead of a 35 point win
- love the speed on defense. Monty Montgomery was all over the place. Burns and Montgomery might be 2 fastest linebackers in the country.
- Thought the DB’s made several plays where they broke nicely on the ball. Picking up Clark from Liberty was huge.
- WKU seems limited on offense so next week will tell us how much we’ve improved on D.
- new poll only ranks teams that are currently playing so we will be in a top 25 game with College Gameday next week. That’s something to be proud of.

Agree with everything you said. Punting game was middle school level.

I couldn't figure out some of the play calling.....some definite interesting calls.

But hell in the end, we could have been Iowa St or KS St!!!!!

We won...and covered

We showed Miami very little of the playbook

Good outcome other than ST. Needs work.

This is a really interesting observation. I was kind of thinking the same thing when watching ND/Duke. ND kept it pretty vanilla, in a game they just figured to win without too much pressure. I think they wanted to limit game film for future opponents.

The punting game is atrocious for a division 1 football team. That was embarrassing and needs a ton of work. The run defense got better as the game went on I felt. Pass defense was pretty good other than one play, but Yeast made a nice recovery and made a really nice football play.

The offense is lethal at times. The speed especially with the skill position players is solid. Speed kills!

My thoughts

-Defense looked better. Now let’s see how they handle bigger and better athletes over the course of a long season. It can’t be worse than it was!

-Offensive Line is still an incomplete grade. WKU has a good pass rush, but we still should be able to hold them off regardless.

-Our skill players put us ahead of a lot of the weaker teams. I think players like that keep you from big upsets. Reminds me of Drew Lock and those teams at Missouri.

All in all? We looked good and didn’t show too much. The real test of progress is Saturday night. Go Cards!

Reactions: Rollem Cards
When MC got his bell rung and was seen trying to shake the cobwebs from his head, Pass was warming up, ready to come in. I thought it would be a good time to get him a series or two and make sure Cunningham was OK. We,re going to need JP at some point given MC's injury history.

We won...and covered

We showed Miami very little of the playbook

Good outcome other than ST. Needs work.
I don’t really think showing Miami the playbook even comes into play for the first game of the season. With limited practices and reps, your focus is entirely on taking care of WKU. As the season progresses, you are able to work on package plays. No opponent can be overlooked. Look at what happened to FSU and some teams in Big 12. You’re not holding any back at this point. You’re putting into play what you have been working on.

When MC got his bell rung and was seen trying to shake the cobwebs from his head, Pass was warming up, ready to come in. I thought it would be a good time to get him a series or two and make sure Cunningham was OK. We,re going to need JP at some point given MC's injury history.
Considering how quick he was to throw Conley in last year in bigger games, it was a bit surprising we saw a full game with MC.

Considering how quick he was to throw Conley in last year in bigger games, it was a bit surprising we saw a full game with MC.
Me too.

But, first game, limited contact practices,...and a BIG conference game next. Guess we wanted/needed MC to get as many reps as possible?

Even though he was dinged a couple times.

Regarding the play calling, I’m sure CSS didn’t want to show too much of the playbook to Miami if he didn’t have to...and he didn’t have to.

I don’t know that much about UAB but Miami only beat them by 14. I think the two teams are pretty much on the same path. I expect a close game with a lot of offense.

Their QB is a better option QB than Western’s and he torched our defense on delayed draws and plays flushed out of the pocket. If the D doesn’t contain him, it might be a shootout.

They can look really good at times, but then just look disjointed at other times. Liberty is a good team with a good coaching staff though.

Although week to week things are different, our defense looks better holding them to what we did (not counting the bad special teams!)

I think it is going to be really hard to judge teams this year with so many negatives surrounding all the programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT