ADVERTISEMENT

Post Belmont thoughts

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
(...from notes scribbled on tissues, Ricola wrappers and between coughs...)

I was able to view the Louisville WBB vs Belmont game from the relative safety of my laptop while dealing with this RSV that is going around. ME AND THE BIG GUY BOTH DOWN WITH IT, so the thoughts and observations here are a bit more scrambled than usual and my typing skills have regressed to those of a petulant five-year old who has been denied ice cream with her spinach. Thank you, spell check. Apply liberally.

-- Could Louisville have played any worse defense for long stretches of this one? Probably not, unless me and the kids from Brownie Troop 714 were on the court. It's probably good that the Cards got schooled by three very good guards ( Jones, Harvey and Wells) this early in the campaign. It gives Walz and the coaches plenty of teaching points for practice. And these are three VERY GOOD guards. Wells was the MVC Preseason Player of the Year and did nothing to take any luster of that shining compliment. Of course, when you have all day to set up for and take a shot, your chances of it going in improve. Credit the Belmont coaching staff for recognizing this and the Belmont players for getting the ball to the "hot hands".

-- It was good to see "O" don her game face and do battle with the Bruins front line. She can get emotional and sometimes that can spur a team on. I was hoping for a bit more out of Jones, Dixon and Williams. Not worried, that'll come

-- The big stat for me was the 20 for 21 from the foul stripe for Louisville. Practice those free throws, kiddies, they can add up. What's even more impressive was that the excellent numbers were spread out among seven players. That's bound to give opposing coaches a dilemma when instructing their student-athletes who to foul in situations where fouls are needed.

-- I won't toss any potential starting lineups out there for the Cards (like my knuckleheaded husband has) but let's be obvious and honest. This is Hailey's team. UofL will go as she goes. I do like Carr's outside shot, Payton's all-around game and the depth on the roster. You want to go small against the Cards? No problem, they've got an app for that. Want to play the "bigs" against UofL? Yeah, they can match up with that too...what else you got?

We see it each year with these Walz squads. It takes awhile and periods of experimenting and different approaches/combinations to see what is going to work best for this squad. We'll see what happens in the Bahamas. Just make sure Hailey gets on the plane, Coach.

Fear not, the "mad Scientist" is busy at work and not stuck in his slide at practice. As fans, just be supportive, please. These players want to perform well and they have all the talent, skills and previous success resumes to show they can. If I were a rich girl, I'd love to be down there, Feeling good, of course. Right now, I feel like I've been run over by a train and even the relatively short walk the kitchen seems too far...

This basketball "Wheel Of Fortune" should be fun to watch, when it comes to player court time and combinations

--sonja--

Last edited:
Sonja nice write and analysis. The team is “gellin” and will continue to improve as the season wears on. Love what I have seen so far and hope Norika Kono and a few other freshman are able to see some playing time while in the islands.

Hope you feel better soon. Kid germs are devastating for us “middle age” folks!

Reactions: Sonja
Sonja nice write and analysis. The team is “gellin” and will continue to improve as the season wears on. Love what I have seen so far and hope Norika Kono and a few other freshman are able to see some playing time while in the islands.

Hope you feel better soon. Kid germs are devastating for us “middle age” folks!
Thanks, just wanted to check site before I GO BACK TO MY SICK BED, wash your hands and sanitize, kiddies. you dont want any part of this,

--sonja--

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT