ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs confirms what we already knew

Thecycle27

Three-Star Poster
Sep 17, 2017
Line play on both sides of the ball matter. There is now way to compete at that level without really good lines.

Bama destroyed the Clemson Oline which was really good. They don't have to cover people for more than 3 to 4 seconds. Clemson Dine did a really good job against a really good Oline which is the only reason that game was close. Georgia wins because their D-Line was better than the Oklahoma Oline (which is really good) in the 2nd half. The Georgia Oline was much better than the Oklahoma D-line.

That is why I don't think there will ever be a shift in college football away from the traditional powers. The gap is that large and it is almost impossible to close the gap because their just aren't that many eltie players at those positions and those schools get most of them.

Louisville OLine will be better next year, but will be completely overmatched against the Bama and Clemson lines. The D-Line who knows what to expect. They need to keep adding to their depth on both lines.

Alabama wins the title...easy.

Line play on both sides of the ball matter. There is now way to compete at that level without really good lines.

Bama destroyed the Clemson Oline which was really good. They don't have to cover people for more than 3 to 4 seconds. Clemson Dine did a really good job against a really good Oline which is the only reason that game was close. Georgia wins because their D-Line was better than the Oklahoma Oline (which is really good) in the 2nd half. The Georgia Oline was much better than the Oklahoma D-line.

That is why I don't think there will ever be a shift in college football away from the traditional powers. The gap is that large and it is almost impossible to close the gap because their just aren't that many eltie players at those positions and those schools get most of them.

Louisville OLine will be better next year, but will be completely overmatched against the Bama and Clemson lines. The D-Line who knows what to expect. They need to keep adding to their depth on both lines.

I agree you have to win the line of scrimmage but look at a team like Wisconsin. 26th ranked recruiting class this year, 8th overall in Big 10. They get the hogs and they coach technique. Alabama’s offense is vanilla but they wear you down. Maybe instead of continuing looking at “athletes” or WR, we need to get some DL or OL.

A big key is to be able to put pressure on a QB with only 4 DL not just bodies (blitzing) and guys like Washington who give a WR too much space.

I think Wisconsin is a good model to follow, but keep in mind they are in the weaker division of the Big Ten. They definitely are a really good program.

I think the Oline recruiting is pretty good lately, but have a really hard time building good depth with high 3 and 4 star players. That is hardest mountain to climb for programs like Louisville. They land Jenkins in the late signing period that obviously a good sign.

DLine has been a train wreck recruiting wise for some reason. This year appears to be a good class, but it should be loaded like the Oline last year. They have an opportunity to land another Dline recruit in the late signing period.

They finish the class with another Oline and Dline recruit then I think they have addressed their needs.

Reactions: Mayoman

Here's the deal. Per Rivals, there are only 26 5* athletes in the 2018 class. Only three of those are OL. And, those OL go to the blue bloods. There's more to choose from from the 4* star ranks, but not a ton. It then becomes a numbers game. Combined with the available, highly rated OL talent and the number of schools you're competing against to land that talent, there are only going to be a handful of teams that have an elite OL. You've got to find the diamonds in the rough, the Eric Woods, for example. But, those are few and far between. I'm not sure it's possible for us to get to the next level. It would have to take a special group at the right time. We'll never have it year after year like Alabama and others.

This is true but Clemson was pretty much one dimensional. You beat Bama by extending the field but Clemson’s QB just isn’t there yet. You won’t beat Bama by running it down their throat without a passing game.

Here's the deal. Per Rivals, there are only 26 5* athletes in the 2018 class. Only three of those are OL. And, those OL go to the blue bloods. There's more to choose from from the 4* star ranks, but not a ton. It then becomes a numbers game. Combined with the available, highly rated OL talent and the number of schools you're competing against to land that talent, there are only going to be a handful of teams that have an elite OL. You've got to find the diamonds in the rough, the Eric Woods, for example. But, those are few and far between. I'm not sure it's possible for us to get to the next level. It would have to take a special group at the right time. We'll never have it year after year like Alabama and others.

Will always have to fight for recruits because of our in state base (Lack of). But who knows. Who thought we would be in the ACC 30 years ago. Coaching comes into play. But Clemson is the model I choose to follow. It’s taken them years but their hot now and look at their recruiting. It’s possible here; just can’t have the can’t do it attitude. Or why play the game.

I agree you have to win the line of scrimmage but look at a team like Wisconsin. 26th ranked recruiting class this year, 8th overall in Big 10. They get the hogs and they coach technique. Alabama’s offense is vanilla but they wear you down. Maybe instead of continuing looking at “athletes” or WR, we need to get some DL or OL.

A big key is to be able to put pressure on a QB with only 4 DL not just bodies (blitzing) and guys like Washington who give a WR too much space.
Bama did more than just dominate with their line. They also confused the Clemson QB with a variety of blitz and coverage schemes, just like MSU did to Lamar. They also got some lucky bounces on the picks - but that's football. Moreover, Bama got a friendly no-flag on offensive interference on one of their TDs, but that didn't decide the outcome. People forget just how young Clemson is - they have almost no seniors. Those guys will develop into monsters in the next 1-2 years, and they will probably see Bama again. This rivalry is just getting started, IMO. On Wisconsin - they are what Nebraska used to be. They get guys willing to wait 3-4 years to play. They build and coach their players, and develop like hell. Can Louisville do that? Maybe. With Bobby as coach? Doubt it. He loves Florida skill positions too much and would fill the roster with them if could.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Offensively, I think Louisville will always put a good product on the field. The Oline is going to improve and continue to be a good unit under Summers. I am pretty much convinced of that. We tend to lose sight of just how young this line was this year and they held up for the most part except against Clemson and MSU. That same line sacked Alabama QB multiple times too. The line had 3 freshman that played significant minutes, 2 were true freshman. If they all come back this will be a really good unit with good depth.

The question is what is the ceiling for the Louisville defense? Can they consistently recruit that side of the ball?. Can they keep the coaching staff together for multiple years? They played well enough to win against MSU, but definitely need a influx of talent and speed on that side of the ball.

Line play is the key to winning football IMO.
That's one reason I wish fan bases would get as intense about recruits on the line as they do those skill slots. A five star QB isn't any better than a walk on if he's on his back most of the game.

There is no magic elixir to having a great football team. Solid OL and DL play are just two factors.

This thread is relevant to the point that it doesn't over-exaggerate their importance...

Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern are top end developmental programs. Wisconsin has recruited classes from 35 to the middle 50s, including many three star offensive lineman. They are NOT recruiting 4 and 5 star lineman...Its very interesting to be honest.

Actually, Zipp, many would claim that trotting out talented lines is a magic pill to creating superb football teams.

"Many would claim" a lotta things. That doesn't make any of it true.

Threads like this start a narrative that tends to build on itself and offers cover for single-issue posters to go crazy beating their drum. And too much of it is based entirely on opinion, i.e., lacking hard data.

No one's gonna argue that big linemen are not a valued commodity. They don't usually run good pass routes...

"Many would claim" a lotta things. That doesn't make any of it true.

Threads like this start a narrative that tends to build on itself and offers cover for single-issue posters to go crazy beating their drum. And too much of it is based entirely on opinion, i.e., lacking hard data.

No one's gonna argue that big linemen are not a valued commodity. They don't usually run good pass routes...
Except #94 for Bama!

Sure every position is important, as is the coaching, and the beer vendor...I think we all realize that.

Top programs have a defense making plays in the other team's backfield or at the line without blitzing. Sometimes the plays are game changing, other times they put the opposition in long distance downs. Elite talent up front makes that possible, combined with the coaching and defensive scheme.

Just a recent look at the Cards teams - the teams that were considered some of their best in most recent years, were anchored by high draft picks like Rankins/Lozo.

Put it this way, I'd rather have a playmaker than a non playmaker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT