ADVERTISEMENT

Players That Forego Bowl Games To Declare For Draft

SpotHogCard

1250+
Mar 17, 2013
I think that a Student Athlete on scholarship who has not graduated and foregos their teams Bowl Game because they are declaring for the draft should have to pay for that year of college.

Unless you want to move bowl games up to early December, when players are still in school and their fall semester grades haven’t yet been posted, I don’t know how anyone could enforce that. Part of the reason why so many choose to skip is because their fall semester classes are already finished.

Unless you want to move bowl games up to early December, when players are still in school and their fall semester grades haven’t yet been posted, I don’t know how anyone could enforce that. Part of the reason why so many choose to skip is because their fall semester classes are already finished.

They can still be sent a bill.

They can still be sent a bill.

Yes, we could send them a bill, but once again, how do you enforce payment? Unless the player decides to re-enroll in school, there is no incentive for them to pay it.

Considering the negative publicity the P5 schools already receive for making more than $50 million per year off of football, I can just imagine how much fun the press would have with a story about Alabama trying to collect $10K tuition each from LB Terrell Lewis and DB Trevon Diggs because they didn’t play in their Citrus Bowl game against Michigan.

Reactions: gocds and zipp
Yes, we could send them a bill, but once again, how do you enforce payment? Unless the player decides to re-enroll in school, there is no incentive for them to pay it.

Considering the negative publicity the P5 schools already receive for making more than $50 million per year off of football, I can just imagine how much fun the press would have with a story about Alabama trying to collect $10K tuition each from LB Terrell Lewis and DB Trevon Diggs because they didn’t play in their Citrus Bowl game against Michigan.

The players would have to sign a legal contract agreeing to those terms. I’m not sure this penalty would really hurt the pockets of future nfl players though, lol.

The players would have to sign a legal contract agreeing to those terms. I’m not sure this penalty would really hurt the pockets of future nfl players though, lol.

Yes, and even with a signed contract, what do you think is the likelihood that, using my example, Alabama attempts to enforce that contract and collect? If my son were presented with such a bill, I’d take the story straight to the press. Auburn and everybody else competing against Alabama for recruits would be thrilled with that kind of negative publicity.

So as I said to start with, this is completely unenforceable.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Yes, and even with a signed contract, what do you think is the likelihood that, using my example, Alabama attempts to enforce that contract and collect? If my son were presented with such a bill, I’d take the story straight to the press. Auburn and everybody else competing against Alabama for recruits would be thrilled with that kind of negative publicity.

So as I said to start with, this is completely unenforceable.

I wasn’t attempting to argue with you, more pointing towards the futility of the penalty that future nfl players would face. The kids in question here stand to make millions, so I doubt they would play the game over just paying back thousands.

For what’s it’s worth i don’t have a problem with kids foregoing a game when their whole future is at stake.

I think that a Student Athlete on scholarship who has not graduated and foregos their teams Bowl Game because they are declaring for the draft should have to pay for that year of college.

I disagree. If that player has the potential to play in the NFL, you support that player 100%. It helps the program to have as many players in the NFL as possible. Plus, bowl games not part of the CFP, who cares? It’s great to win, but 2nd, 3rd tier bowls are not worth potential career ending injuries. Let the next man up get those practice reps and game time experience for next season.

I'm not sure what the point of this would be... Even if the NCAA adopted it as a mandatory policy and there were some way to guarantee collecting the money, what would it accomplish? It's not going to change the behavior. It'd make the schools look bad. And for peanuts, in the big picture.

Reactions: FlavRunit
If I am remembering correctly, I believe a supposedly high draft pick TE from Michigan had a career ending injury in a bowl game. Can’t blame a kid for skipping a bowl game, sucks for us but it’s not our future on the line.

I agree the last thing you want to happen is a player getting injured in a bowl game. Too many negatives in forcing a player to play in today’s world.

bowl games are useless exhibitions unless you are in the final four. and the school takes every advantage of the player, uses them up and then let's them go. absolutely no reason. and what's to say the player jsut says he's got a sore hamstring and cannot play then he doesn't have to repay anything so try enforcing you rule. no different than the nba trying to force players to play every game. load management/sore ankle/leaving for draft/sore hammy what's the difference

Do we demand coaches that leave for other jobs prior to coaching their bowl game to pay back their earned salary too?

I get the frustration but in the big picture I don't think it's the players that are the problem with college sports.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
If registered for spring classes, has the athletics department already paid the tuition? If so, reimbursement is in order.

Do we demand coaches that leave for other jobs prior to coaching their bowl game to pay back their earned salary too?

I get the frustration but in the big picture I don't think it's the players that are the problem with college sports.
If they gave a buyout, yes.

If registered for spring classes, has the athletics department already paid the tuition? If so, reimbursement is in order.

Ok.
So you force them to play.
How many are getting "hurt" during warmups or after 1 play.

Players choice if he wants to play. Its why you have 85 scholly players and 15 walk ons.
Next man up.

I think we'll start seeing this expand into the regular season at some point. Everyone saw the Tua injury. IMO, Tua could have sat out most if not all of the year and been the top pick.

Reactions: Mayoman
An alternative idea...Lets just do away with Bowl Games altogether then. Have a 16-32 o 58 team end of the year playoff to get to the FF and scrap all the meaningless bowls games.

Or even better....just fold all of CFB so none of the players get hurt and can just move on the the pros right out of HS. NFL could pay them less and the league would get younger much quicker. Those young men don't need to go to college to get a college degree anymore anyway. Education does not matter...so let stop pretending that it does.

Sarcasm o_O and being facetious at the same time.:oops::rolleyes:o_O;)
At some point the paying customer (the fans) will just stop giving a damn and stop coming to watch the young urchins play the game. Attendance is already becoming a concern for a lot of reasons so there is that too.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
An alternative idea...Lets just do away with Bowl Games altogether then. Have a 16-32 o 58 team end of the year playoff to get to the FF and scrap all the meaningless bowls games.

Or even better....just fold all of CFB so none of the players get hurt and can just move on the the pros right out of HS. NFL could pay them less and the league would get younger much quicker. Those young men don't need to go to college to get a college degree anymore anyway. Education does not matter...so let stop pretending that it does.

Sarcasm o_O and being facetious at the same time.:oops::rolleyes:o_O;)
At some point the paying customer (the fans) will just stop giving a damn and stop coming to watch the young urchins play the game. Attendance is already becoming a concern for a lot of reasons so there is that too.

You say you were kidding, but I’m 100% behind your first paragraph!:) That would at least keep them playing!

Paying for school is just above child support as to why people have their wages garnished.

FCS , Div II and Div III all have 16 team playoffs. That would entice a lot of players to play.

FCS , Div II and Div III all have 16 team playoffs. That would entice a lot of players to play.
What people don’t realize are those games are played on the higher seed’s home field, not neutral sites. So yeah many of us would like a playoff system but how many would travel to two or more games?

Paying for school is just above child support as to why people have their wages garnished.

which you have to have a court order to do, and which no athletic department or university could get a judge to issue a court order without a change to the rules requiring players to play in all bowl game as a part of their acceptance of an athletic scholarship.

If that one player is the difference between winning and losing then your team has a serious depth problem and probably would not have been in a bowl game to begin with.

Yeah, they go to one game...

True, but you’d have more on the line that a meaningless bowl game, so I’d say you’d see fans traveling well if you made it to a second round game that would put you in the final 8, not to mention as a road team you’d have to get lucky to even get tickets for a road game even if the tickets were first come basis. You also have to take into consideration that we may be the favored team which would be a home game. If you have a 16 team tourney for college football, I’d bet all games would be sold out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT