ADVERTISEMENT

Play calling?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
The Cards second possession typifies the poor play calling Satterfield continues to employ. It just boggles the mind. As just the head coach, he wouldn't get the blame but he calls the offensive plays so it's on him that he calls a QB draw on 3rd and 9 from your own 10 yard line.

Do we ever give the ball to the sweeping receiver on the mis direction? We always hand the ball to the RB, so doesn't that negate the mis direction if the sweeping receiver never gets the ball?

Everytime we're 1st and goal I anticipate the same damn plays so you know the defense does as well.

Vanilla is what bothers me about Sat more than anything else.

This game is a perfect example on why Satterfield has to go if he insists on calling the plays. BC has confidence despite turning the ball over twice already because the Cards haven't done anything to take advantage of those turnovers.

Now the Cards are behind so we'll see the offense open up a bit more. His offense is so predictable.

Vanilla is what bothers me about Sat more than anything else.
Exactly! It's 3rd and 2 from midfield and he calls for Malik to throw it in the end zone because he will go for it on 4th down if it's a incompletion.

That's what happens and he runs a QB zone read on 4th and 2 and BC knows it's coming. They knew it when they saw the 3rd down pass play.

Satterfield just cannot make enough in game adjustments. The only successful drive so far was the first one and that was scripted.

it's not Satterfield's fault. defenses know Malik is very inaccurate downfield. defenses just have to focus on the running game and short passing game.

Reactions: pappy52
U guys so negative.. sheesh we are winning
What? Where have you been? Are we winning now?

It's obvious the team was not prepared to kick a underdogs ass today on the road. BC is horrible. Just look at their 3 turnovers. Yet, Louisville looks flat and hamstrung again by its inferior offensive and defensive coordinators.

Wake up!

When was the last time a Louisville quarterback got under center and pushed forward for a damn yard , unreal.

Reactions: HiStepper
This game is a perfect example on why Satterfield has to go if he insists on calling the plays. BC has confidence despite turning the ball over twice already because the Cards haven't done anything to take advantage of those turnovers.

Now the Cards are behind so we'll see the offense open up a bit more. His offense is so predictable.
23 points at half.. and u guys complain about the offense

Crazy...reading these messages. u would think we were down 3 tds...instead of winning
I'm sorry but are you not aware of the problems UofL football has been having? So we're winning by 2 points over a dreadful team and that's good enough for you to ignore the same issues that seemingly never get resolved.

If not for the bone headed mistakes by the BC QB the Cards would not be winning. Can you agree with that?

After last week, we fans were hoping to see continued progress against a vulnerable team like BC, but instead it's back to the ineptitude that gives a very bad team like BC the chance to pull the upset.

How that doesn't apparently concern you makes no sense to this Cardinals fan.

Reactions: uoflcardsfan
Crazy...reading these messages. u would think we were down 3 tds...instead of winning
BC has 100 yards more of total offense than Louisville. Isn't that crazy to you? The Cards have just 170 yards of offense against a very suspect defense and I ask you again, isn't that crazy?

Maybe you should stick to soccer because you obviously don't know football.

Reactions: rh62531
The Cards second possession typifies the poor play calling Satterfield continues to employ. It just boggles the mind. As just the head coach, he wouldn't get the blame but he calls the offensive plays so it's on him that he calls a QB draw on 3rd and 9 from your own 10 yard line.
Thats actually not a bad play call. Certainly not the worst. You want a handoff off right tackle or Malik trying to throw from his own end zone?

Thats actually not a bad play call. Certainly not the worst. You want a handoff off right tackle or Malik trying to throw from his own end zone?
It was terrible because BC was looking for it. I've watched Malik for four years and he has proven many a time he can throw the ball effectively.

Once again, a very disappointing loss, and one, given this far into the season, is more hard to understand than the loss to Syracuse.

I would gladly “board the train” to replace Satterfield if I was given some evidence that making a coaching change would improve our football program future. However, I am not sure there is a candidate who is both qualified and wants to be here.

Aside from the challenging financials this University is facing, can anyone provide some evidence to support the identify of a candidate who meets the two aforementioned questions?

If so, with any degree of certainty, how can we know the next hire can be any more successful that Satterfield? My question is not argumentative, I am just not sure there is a legitimate hire that meets our expectations.

I agree Realville; but the problem with Malik is that he has struggled with consistent accuracy. The loss to FSU is a good example of Malik’s inconsistency, one that resulted in that loss. In fairness to Malik, our receivers are struggling with executing their routes accurately; evidenced by numerous instances in critical 3rd and 4th down situations, even if the pass was completed, it was short of the 1st down marker.

Its not just on Malik, we saw that again with Doman at QB. His passes were inaccurate, but even if their were caught, several were short of the first down marker.

Ther have been offensive series where Malik was on target, but too often he has struggled delivering a catchable pass.

Once again, a very disappointing loss, and one, given this far into the season, is more hard to understand than the loss to Syracuse.

I would gladly “board the train” to replace Satterfield if I was given some evidence that making a coaching change would improve our football program future. However, I am not sure there is a candidate who is both qualified and wants to be here.

Aside from the challenging financials this University is facing, can anyone provide some evidence to support the identify of a candidate who meets the two aforementioned questions?

If so, with any degree of certainty, how can we know the next hire can be any more successful that Satterfield? My question is not argumentative, I am just not sure there is a legitimate hire that meets our expectations.

Obviously none of us are Nostradamus but the drop in support and lost revenues will financially make it untenable to retain Satt. He is so bland and has done little to excite or connect with the fanbase. He’s a fish out of water here. And ultimately losses like yesterday show that he is not a competent P5 coach. I believe that Brohm would come here and immediately reinvigorate our fanbase and would win games. I know you feel differently.

Reactions: rh62531
He is so bland and has done little to excite or connect with the fanbase
As this pertains to the topic, the Cards have had 11 games under Sat that they haven't scored in the 4th quarter. It's a direct reflection of where the Program sits today.
I'm willing to let this thing play out, but that seat is becoming uncomfortably numb by now.

Reactions: rh62531 and BPGhost
As this pertains to the topic, the Cards have had 11 games under Sat that they haven't scored in the 4th quarter. It's a direct reflection of where the Program sits today.
I'm willing to let this thing play out, but that seat is becoming uncomfortably numb by now.
I'm not sold on letting it play out. Do we want a repeat of Bobby's last season? Only now we would have to suffer through a lot more games. I got tickets to NC State but damn I'm not too excited about it.

I agree Realville; but the problem with Malik is that he has struggled with consistent accuracy. The loss to FSU is a good example of Malik’s inconsistency, one that resulted in that loss. In fairness to Malik, our receivers are struggling with executing their routes accurately; evidenced by numerous instances in critical 3rd and 4th down situations, even if the pass was completed, it was short of the 1st down marker.

Its not just on Malik, we saw that again with Doman at QB. His passes were inaccurate, but even if their were caught, several were short of the first down marker.

Ther have been offensive series where Malik was on target, but too often he has struggled delivering a catchable pass.
What you are referring to 2330859 is the most damning claim against keeping Satterfield...the lack of player development. Malik has been for 6 years and is still has't gotten appreciably better. Transfers aside, can you name 3 players that Satterfield and company have recruited that have gotten better? What good is a coach and his staff if the guys he recruits don't get any better and we have to rely on transfers to bolster our talent?

What you're advocating is keeping Satterfield because we won't be able to get anybody better, or if we do make a move it has to be a sure thing. I disagree. He's been here 4 years. We have seen the same inconsistencies since he's been here. The same suspect offensive and defensive play calling. The same bad defense. He was given an opportunity this past summer to make substantial changes and he chose not to. He is who he is.

Reactions: BPGhost and rh62531
I'm not sold on letting it play out. Do we want a repeat of Bobby's last season? Only now we would have to suffer through a lot more games. I got tickets to NC State but damn I'm not too excited about it.
Yeah but who gets the interim? Two guys not very high up on people's Christmas card list. Truly a conundrum.

Yeah but who gets the interim? Two guys not very high up on people's Christmas card list. Truly a conundrum.
At this point, if you're letting him finish the season, you have to make changes or at least give the impression that you are doing something to change things. Name McGriff or Ivey the DC and demote Brown. Its only a title not a cut in salary. Hell, let Taylor run some plays. Failure is keep doing what your doing and hoping things will change or something to that effect.

Reactions: earsky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT