ADVERTISEMENT

Pizza Bowl

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
The annual pizza bowl series starts tomorrow at 5. See baseball website for full schedule.
Pizza not the only thing on the line as the team is split up to battle in a best of seven series. There is some serious competition unfolding as I type these words, both at several position spots and for spots in this pitching staff.
I was having a conversation with a parent of one of the guys fighting for a position spot at the Purdue scrimmage and we both agreed that the Spring is won by how you perform in the Fall. Should be some really spirited baseball folks.

Reactions: shutterbug
Made it over and left before all the offensive fireworks started late. Angels take game 1,leading basically from start to finish.
That team features Knap at ss with Smith at 2nd King,Humphrey and Hawkins in the outfield. Anderson at 3rd with Cook at 1st.
Greg Farone got the start for the Angel's. The Juco,lefty had a really strong outing.
Got this dude earmarked. 6 foot 6 and his fastball gets on top of you quickly at about 88-89.

Back for more today. Bivens already with a big 2 out single against Ligget,who looks pretty sharp.
Grundy going for the Angels

Folks we have two kids in Biven and Forbes that are two way players. I need some sunglasses out here.

Farone is a new name. If this pitching staff can regain some much needed swagger look out!

Farone is a new name. If this pitching staff can regain some much needed swagger look out!
I thought Ligget looked great today. Highly touted Sophomore that looks to be making a push for a weekend spot.

There are several young pitchers, who…if they can be consistent and pitch to (or near) their potential this team can go far. Let’s face it - Super Regionals last season and our pitching was Good - maybe a B grade. Get up to a B+, A- (or better) then the Supers should be in Louisville.

My bad, I meant to ask about Jack Payton.
Haven't seen him lately 😕 Hopefully, whatever it is, it's minor.
On a somewhat related note, the kid from Trinity (Klein) and Vierner from Wisconsin both have looked the part as backups. Both bat left handed. Bamberg is another Freshman who has been impressive. He injured his wrist or hand yesterday.

There are several young pitchers, who…if they can be consistent and pitch to (or near) their potential this team can go far. Let’s face it - Super Regionals last season and our pitching was Good - maybe a B grade. Get up to a B+, A- (or better) then the Supers should be in Louisville.
Yeah it absolutely comes down to how much quality pitching you can get late.
Just to give you guys some measure of the depth of this group, I ran into Cam Robinson's Dad at the Purdue game. Undrafted,he was asked to come back as a graduate,but he said he has to get a chance.
Reading between the lines,there are a lot of new faces he'll have to compete against just to make the Spring roster.

Once again,there just looks to be a logjam in the infield. Knap,Beard, Smith, Kilen and injured Calise join Anderson,Cook and McCoy as the likely group playing for spots in the infield.
Lock down Knap and Beard somewhere in the lineup although Logan could dh whenever Payton is catching. Beard will likely be at third base if Payton is dh.

I left in the 7th with the Snide clinging to a two run lead. Once again I missed the fireworks as Forbes hits his second dinger of the day,Klein and Anderson both double in runs as the Angels storm back to take a 2-0 lead in the best of seven.

I think there might be days when we could see Pat Forbes at 3rd base this Spring. It appears that he and the other two way player Tucker Biven from New Albany have come to make their presence felt. Not hard to see why this class was ranked so high.

Haven't seen him lately 😕 Hopefully, whatever it is, it's minor.
On a somewhat related note, the kid from Trinity (Klein) and Vierner from Wisconsin both have looked the part as backups. Both bat left handed. Bamberg is another Freshman who has been impressive. He injured his wrist or hand yesterday.
Thanks earsky, I appreciate all your updates. I have been to all the pizza bowl games. How are we going to get Forbes and Biven playing time?

Reactions: earsky
Thanks earsky, I appreciate all your updates. I have been to all the pizza bowl games. How are we going to get Forbes and Biven playing time?
Man,that's a really good question. Forbes may get some swings at 3rd,1st or maybe Dh. This McCoy kid looks like he's gonna be hard to knock off 1st base.
Not sure what field position Biven might play, but maybe a Dh role too.
They'll have to absolutely push their way past some pretty good veterans. That's for sure.

Reactions: shutterbug
Who is McCoy? Dang, I usually ceel good about knowing the players. Right now…I’m a deer in the headlights.

• Haha
Reactions: earsky
Who is McCoy? Dang, I usually ceel good about knowing the players. Right now…I’m a deer in the headlights.
Six foot 5 Juco transfer that plays 1st. He has a bit of an advantage I think because he's a bit older. He's not disappointed. I think he started there the first game against Purdue.

Cook and McCoy battling for that 1st base spot,but I think there are some Freshmen(see earlier post about Forbes) that could push their way in. Anderson can play 1st too.

I've yet to see either Forbes or Biven pitch yet,although I know both have.Hopefully before this series wraps up...

Last edited:
Couple of notes from Saturday as the Angels move out to a 3-0 lead.
- Spotted Noah Smith playing some 1st base.
- Patrick Forbes continues to impress at everything he does. He's beyond his years.
- Almost to a man, I've noticed that our returning veteran pitchers are really throwing the inside of the plate,keeping the ball on the hitters' fists. Very refreshing to see.
-JT Benson, King and Hawkins are battling for 2 spots in the outfield. Dickerson looks good but he's trying to get past a veteran group in the outfield.
- There will probably be days when we see Knap and Kilen together in the middle, days when it's Knap and Smith.

Reactions: SoulSr
Seattle Snide off the snide to extend the series. Signs of life.
Angels lead 3-1
Juco transfer Haven Mangrum leads off for the Snide and plays cf. He reminds me of Luke Brown a bit. Threw out Knap yesterday trying to go 1st to 3rd with an absolute dime.

Last edited:
Angels take the Pizza Bowl. Lots to like with this Freshman class and a handful of Juco transfers. Coach has some tough decisions, hair splitting decisions before February.
The opening day lineup might not resemble the lineup as we get into conference play.

Angels take the Pizza Bowl. Lots to like with this Freshman class and a handful of Juco transfers. Coach has some tough decisions, hair splitting decisions before February.
The opening day lineup might not resemble the lineup as we get into conference play.
Earsky - so based on what you have seen in the Pizza Bowl, what would be your lineup? Not batting lineup, but position wise? Who is at SS. Did anyone takeover for Knap?

Earsky - so based on what you have seen in the Pizza Bowl, what would be your lineup? Not batting lineup, but position wise? Who is at SS. Did anyone takeover for Knap?
Kilen looks like the part to move into that ss spot,at least defensively. He has ability at the plate,but he's definitely behind Knap and Smith(led the series in hitting) as far as getting on base.
I spotted Smith playing at least 4 different positions in the Fall,including first base and left field. CM's thinking probably that he wants him in there somewhere.
I think that the scouts wanted to see Knap at 2nd and they did. So,if you're keeping score,there's some serious hair splitting with these 3 guys.
Knap - ss/2b
Humphrey- rf
Payton-c/dh
McCoy-1b/dh
Beard- 2b/3b(the most likely) dh
King- lf
Benson/Hawkins/Mangrum cf
Kilen- ss(if you're going for the best middle defensively)
Smith-2b/1b/dh

We don't expect Jack to catch every day,so when he's not he's probably dh. When he's catching, could be Smith,Beard,McCoy or any of those center fielders dhing.

Payton's backup early looked like Freshman Brantley Bamburg who was dhing and catching in the Purdue game. He injured his hand and sat out most of the Pizza Bowl. That gave two other Freshmen catchers a chance to build their cases. Vierling and Klein both showed flashes. I would say we might see both or all three whenever Payton isn't catching.

Reactions: nccardfan
McCoy was 12/38 in the fall with 4HR which tied for the team lead. He will probably start at 1b and bat in the 4 hole
McCoy certainly the front runner to take over 1st base. I think the coaches still think highly of Cook,but he struggled at the plate in the Bowl series. I just keep coming back to the Smith conundrum. He led the series in hitting,but needs a position to play if you go with Kilen at short.
I guess we could see McCoy and Smith alternate between dh and 1st base on days when Payton catches. Can’t imagine a batting lineup without Jack.

McCoy certainly the front runner to take over 1st base. I think the coaches still think highly of Cook,but he struggled at the plate in the Bowl series. I just keep coming back to the Smith conundrum. He led the series in hitting,but needs a position to play if you go with Kilen at short.
I guess we could see McCoy and Smith alternate between dh and 1st base on days when Payton catches. Can’t imagine a batting lineup without Jack.
If Kilen can't hit consistently, you'll still see a combo of Knap and Smith at 2nd and SS IMHO.

Reactions: Bardman
Smith looked really good last year. If he improved over the Summer/Fall it would seem very difficult to keep him out of the lineup. I know some guys don’t like to/want to RS…but, with a talented roster it has to happen. So, young guys…unless you are going to see significant playing time I’d RS and be ready to roll the next season.

If Kilen can't hit consistently, you'll still see a combo of Knap and Smith at 2nd and SS IMHO.
You better wait till you see this kid at short. That's why I'm torn about it and probably Mac too. If his offense catches up to his defense, they won't keep him off the field. The kid was a 13th round pick and I doubt it was just about the fielding.
As far as the opening day lineup, idk. Kilen has a sweet swing,he just doesn't have the benefit of age.

Last edited:
Sometimes, unfortunately, better players come into a program displacing vets. It sucks when those guys have played and performed well…but, winning baseball games is the goal. CDM will figure it out. If someone is hitting better than the next guy - they will play - we have seen that before. Having options for when someone is struggling or if someone gets dinged up are nice problems to have.

You better wait till you see this kid at short. That's why I'm torn about it and probably Mac too. If his offense catches up to his defense, they won't keep him off the field. The kid was a 13th round pick and I doubt it was just about the fielding.
As far as the opening day lineup, idk. Kilen has a sweet swing,he just doesn't have the benefit of age.
I believe over the course of Mac's career here at U of L he has transition from being a guy who relied on small ball and defense to one who focuses more on power. He's not the only one but is a sign of how baseball has changed overall. I think he would rather have offense for innings 1-7 and then make defensive substitutions 8-9.

I believe over the course of Mac's career here at U of L he has transition from being a guy who relied on small ball and defense to one who focuses more on power. He's not the only one but is a sign of how baseball has changed overall. I think he would rather have offense for innings 1-7 and then make defensive substitutions 8-9.
I agree with what you're saying. I believe that the kid has that offensive ability and it's why we were seeing Noah playing 4 different positions in the Fall. I think he wants both of those guys in the lineup somewhere. I just have to believe Mac's tickled that Kilen didn't bypass college.
Tbs,early on I'd expect to see a lot of different combinations. The guys that are producing will be on the field.
There are a handful of guys that are proven producers come ACC play and they'll be hard to beat out.
Knap,Payton,Humphrey, Beard

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT