ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino's Letter

I've been on coaches side forever, reading this reaffirms my feelings. GO CARDS!!!

I wish he'd offer some level of admission of growth within the program from the scandal. I think that would help with the fan base and the NCAA. Something like:

"Obviously, this was not something that any one on our staff who is a person of influence knew about, condoned or could even conceive of happening. The activities were concealed and kept covert by those involved.

My mistake was putting too much trust in Andre. Now, we have implemented better monitoring procedures of all of our athletic dorms and better accountability of those tasked with overseeing recruit visits. While it's impossible to monitor everyone at all times, we implement more spot checks, both announced and unannounced, to make sure there isn't a hint of any illicit activities regarding unauthorized persons or activities under our watch."

I think if he just says that, the NCAA takes a step back and much of the fan base could move forward with him. I think 90%of people realize he didn't know and completely believe that had he known, the hammer would have come down. We get it. It's his defiant attitude and combative tone that is losing points.

I wish he'd offer some level of admission of growth within the program from the scandal. I think that would help with the fan base and the NCAA. I think 90%of people realize he didn't know and completely believe that had he known, the hammer would have come down. We get it. It's his defiant attitude and combative tone that is losing points.

I don't blame him for not wanting to take responsibility for hiring underage hookers for underage recruits if he had nothing to do with it. I would do the same thing.

Reactions: rockycard
It will always come down to "didn't know" is not the same thing as being "not responsible" it would have been better had we discovered this while AM was still employed by U of L so we could have fired him and held him responsible. There is still some doubt in my mind that AM thought he was working for the benefit of the athletic department. That's why I hope he never opens his mouth.

I wish he'd offer some level of admission of growth within the program from the scandal. I think that would help with the fan base and the NCAA. Something like:

"Obviously, this was not something that any one on our staff who is a person of influence knew about, condoned or could even conceive of happening. The activities were concealed and kept covert by those involved.

My mistake was putting too much trust in Andre. Now, we have implemented better monitoring procedures of all of our athletic dorms and better accountability of those tasked with overseeing recruit visits. While it's impossible to monitor everyone at all times, we implement more spot checks, both announced and unannounced, to make sure there isn't a hint of any illicit activities regarding unauthorized persons or activities under our watch."

I think if he just says that, the NCAA takes a step back and much of the fan base could move forward with him. I think 90%of people realize he didn't know and completely believe that had he known, the hammer would have come down. We get it. It's his defiant attitude and combative tone that is losing points.
"...admission of growth" what kind of BS is that.

I 100% agree with you. As a UK fan I am no fan of Pitino. Having said that no logical person believes a head coach at any program would allow that to happen. The issue everyone is having is just what you stated above. Rick has to accept responsibility for what happened and show some remorse and contrition. His attitude and defiance is what is causing everyone to have a hard time giving him or the program any sympathy.

If Pitino would just say he didn't know BUT the buck stops with him, and he takes responsibility for what McGee did, then I'm confident most people who are currently acting like they are appalled and disgusted will get over their moral outrage and understand the situation which allowed this to become a problem has been corrected and won't happen again.

JMO

Reactions: cwcat and Wall2Wall
I 100% agree with you. As a UK fan I am no fan of Pitino. Having said that no logical person believes a head coach at any program would allow that to happen. The issue everyone is having is just what you stated above. Rick has to accept responsibility for what happened and show some remorse and contrition. His attitude and defiance is what is causing everyone to have a hard time giving him or the program any sympathy.

Damn straight. Human nature is to get more cautious and stuck in your ways as you get older. UK hired Rick to clean up a mess, UL hired Rick to clean up a mess. You hire Rick Pitino to clean up a mess, because Rick is a strong leader and this is what Rick does and does extremely well. I don't believe that Rick got in his 60's and thought, "You know what this program needs? Some ugly, skanky, stank, nasty trick-@ss ho's" and start running a brothel in Minardi Hall. No way does that happen.

Last edited:
If Pitino would just say he didn't know BUT the buck stops with him, and he takes responsibility for what McGee did, then I'm confident most people who are currently acting like they are appalled and disgusted will get over their moral outrage and understand the situation which allowed this to become a problem has been corrected and won't happen again.

JMO
If he did that he knows they would definitely take the banner down. That's the best way to punish Rick to say he didn't win a 2nd championship. Two championships at two different schools is what he hangs his hat on nowadays.

If he did that he knows they would definitely take the banner down. That's the best way to punish Rick to say he didn't win a 2nd championship. Two championships at two different schools is what he hangs his hat on nowadays.
It's probably coming down regardless, and maybe that's what he's waiting on. A final outcome before stepping up and taking full responsibility for this. If UofL wins the appeal (probably not going to happen) then he can feel vindicated. IDK. I wish this had never happened, but it reminds me why I always enjoy the good times. You never know when the bad times might roll back around.

Yes. He is responsible for hiring McGee. McGee hired the ugly, stank, skanky, trick-@ss ho's. I do agree with you that none of this is a good look which is why I won't defend any of it. I'm just saying, if I didn't have anything to do with hiring underage ho's, I would accept NO part of it. A manager is responsible for a subordinate who performs poorly - hiring ho's is just in another universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point. I don't want Pitino to accept responsibility per se and I DO think this is 100% on McGee.

I also think McGee pseudo "dated" Powell and got off on being the guy who had the parties with his girl leading the way. That's why Russ and the guys are like, "these were just parties and consensual sex happened - we didn't pay for anything"???? The other skanks corroborated as much and they were just happy to be at a party with local celebs. So there wasn't an obvious context of these are hookers, it's paid and this is an NCAA violation. The money deals were McGee to Powell solo and the people in attendance just saw it as parties with a skanky chic and her friends he hung out with. If it ended there, we woulda been sorta ok. It started with parties within our team and McGee took it up a notch with recruits. He clearly paid Powell to send a girl to meet Blakeny as a recruit and had crossed into more obvious violations beyond a moral one.

Realizing that, I still want Pitino to change his tone, because defiance to the NCAA is not working, and the fact is you can do better at monitoring athletic dorms and recruiting visits.

I caught my teenage kid sneaking out at 2am, and I didn't allow it, condone it, plan it, think they'd do it, etc.

I wasn't directly responsible for it happening and everybody gets freewill and can't be totally controlled, but I came up with new rules... starting killing the router nightly and generally tightened things up at bed time. That's me learning and making changes moving forward. I just think people want to hear about the changes moving forward vs. the constant defense of I didn't know and how could I have known.

Reactions: cwcat
That's why Russ and the guys are like, "these were just parties and consensual sex happened - we didn't pay for anything"???? The other skanks corroborated as much and they were just happy to be at a party with local celebs.

Right on. From the POV of the players and recruits, these were just more sluts slinging leg at them, which probably happened every time they went to get a bottle of water. There were girls bending over for them at every corner, so why is this different? Just another day being a rock star. Behind the scenes, an assistant coach in McGee and some ugly skank nasty trick-@ss ho Powell arranged for this. A mother arranging this for her own (underage) daughters. Horrible, awful, repugnant!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point. I don't want Pitino to accept responsibility per se and I DO think this is 100% on McGee.

I also think McGee pseudo "dated" Powell and got off on being the guy who had the parties with his girl leading the way. That's why Russ and the guys are like, "these were just parties and consensual sex happened - we didn't pay for anything"???? The other skanks corroborated as much and they were just happy to be at a party with local celebs. So there wasn't an obvious context of these are hookers, it's paid and this is an NCAA violation. The money deals were McGee to Powell solo and the people in attendance just saw it as parties with a skanky chic and her friends he hung out with. If it ended there, we woulda been sorta ok. It started with parties within our team and McGee took it up a notch with recruits. He clearly paid Powell to send a girl to meet Blakeny as a recruit and had crossed into more obvious violations beyond a moral one.

Realizing that, I still want Pitino to change his tone, because defiance to the NCAA is not working, and the fact is you can do better at monitoring athletic dorms and recruiting visits.

I caught my teenage kid sneaking out at 2am, and I didn't allow it, condone it, plan it, think they'd do it, etc.

I wasn't directly responsible for it happening and everybody gets freewill and can't be totally controlled, but I came up with new rules... starting killing the router nightly and generally tightened things up at bed time. That's me learning and making changes moving forward. I just think people want to hear about the changes moving forward vs. the constant defense of I didn't know and how could I have known.
I would suspect that many things have changed at the dorm and in the supervision. I do not suspect (or expect) that CRP goes to the dorm at 2 A.M.

A mother arranging this for her own (underage) daughters. Horrible, awful, repugnant!
That part right there really makes my stomach turn as a parent. How on earth can a MOM do that to her own kids and be a free person walking the streets (PUN intended)?

She needs to be prosecuted for human trafficking and for child endangerment. She is slime.

That part right there really makes my stomach turn as a parent. How on earth can a MOM do that to her own kids and be a free person walking the streets (PUN intended)?

She needs to be prosecuted for human trafficking and for child endangerment. She is slime.
Unfortunately now, the worse we make her look only makes us look bad as well, especially in terms of judgement. Her issues are personal. Our issues are with AM and allowing him to let it happen.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Unfortunately now, the worse we make her look only makes us look bad as well, especially in terms of judgement. Her issues are personal. Our issues are with AM and allowing him to let it happen.
She makes herself look bad and McGee made the University look equally as bad. A match made in heaven. I sincerely hope McGee never does any better than being a Uber driver for the rest of his miserable life.

EDIT: Not really fair to pile on McGee. Hopefully he gets his life straightened out and learns from this as a person.. Same goes for Powell. She doesn't seem like a very good person but there's always the chance for change. Maybe she'll change for the better too.

She makes herself look bad and McGee made the University look equally as bad. A match made in heaven. I sincerely hope McGee never does any better than being a Uber driver for the rest of his miserable life.

EDIT: Not really fair to pile on McGee. Hopefully he gets his life straightened out and learns from this as a person.. Same goes for Powell. She doesn't seem like a very good person but there's always the chance for change. Maybe she'll change for the better too.

Of course, at this point, I don't like or respect either AM or Ms. Powell, but my religious upbringing taught me that there is always an opportunity for redemption. I hope and pray that both of them ask for and achieve that.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT