ADVERTISEMENT

Pick Your Top 3 non-Brohm candidates

Besides Jeff Brohm - who's your pick for head coach?

• Mike Novell - Memphis HC

• Ryan Day - Ohio State OC

• Luke Fickell - Cincinnati HC

• Neal Brown - Troy HC

• Dino Babers - Syracuse HC

• Bill Clark - UAB HC

• Jason Candle - Toledo HC

• Scott Satterfield - Appalachian State HC

• Brent Venebles - Clemson DC

• Chip Long - Notre Dame OC

Results are only viewable after voting.

EKYCard643

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2016
twitter.com
You can vote for 3. Curious to see who people would want if Brohm were to shock the world*.

- I didn't include Matt Campbell from ISU because his buyout is $7 million.

*I fully expect Jeff Brohm to be the next coach of Louisville.

I debated on putting Venebles on the list because I don't think he's a realistic option either. Seeing how many people are voting for him I wish I would have left him off.

Intersting voting. I'm a bit surprised at how many are apparently OK with the UC head coach if Brohm isn't the guy.

No dam way in hell Neal Brown first of all taking out the UK ties did you watch his offensive coaching very elementary he wasn't good at all in the SEC.

Replace Neal Brown with Matt Wells (Utah St HC). They are 10-1 and Wells was an assistant coach here in 2009. Passing game coordinator I believe.

Reactions: GoldCard
Lot of weird data on this. Not sure if its trolls or what...Would never, ever have guessed Chip Long, Bill Clark and Scott Satterfield would be near the top. So either there are more outside the box thinkers in the fanbase than I thought or trolls are picking who they think are the "worst" candidates.

I went Ryan Day-(he is actually my 1st Choice Period)
Scott Satterfield and Mike Norvell...

Including Brohm

Ryan Day
Jeff Brohm
Scott Satterfield

If we get anyone of those I’m just fine and I would also include Chip Long & Neil Brown...I’m not hung up on the “UK” Ties...Football Coaches are mercenaries IMO

It is Brohm unless crazy money changes his mind. If that happens then no matter what happens the next coach is a 4 or 5 year guy more than likely. Select the right guy that is the right fit. As long as that coach leaves the program in a better place that is all that matters.

1) Scott Satterfield-Big jump but I like what they do offensively and defensively. His DC is young enthusiastic should be a good recruiter.
2) Matt Wells-Very up and down but that is going to happen at Utah State. Concern not many ties to this region.
3) Bill Clark-southern guy should recruit well and like his style of ball.....agressive.

Neal Brown shouldn't be thrown out because of his UK ties. He is a legit college coach. Look college ties are only important when their school open up. Stoops is going to be at UK for awhile. As much as he may like UK he doesn't like UK more than himself or his family. That is what drives these coaches. The only reason he didn't make my list is because he wouldn't be accepted by the fanbase or even donor base.

As much as he may like UK he doesn't like UK more than himself or his family. That is what drives these coaches. The only reason he didn't make my list is because he wouldn't be accepted by the fanbase or even donor base.

Just wanted to point out a bit of hypocrisy in your post here in general with previous statements. Couldn't you clearly make the same argument for Brohm staying at Purdue? What if his wife and children loves what Purdue and the West Lafayette community offer? What if his family and friends have told him that he should remain at Purdue because UofL doesn't appear to be the best possible position for him right now?

Just wanted to point out a bit of hypocrisy in your post here in general with previous statements. Couldn't you clearly make the same argument for Brohm staying at Purdue? What if his wife and children loves what Purdue and the West Lafayette community offer? What if his family and friends have told him that he should remain at Purdue because UofL doesn't appear to be the best possible position for him right now?

That certainly might be the case. I think the major difference between Brohm and Brown might be Jeff's and his entire family's level of commitment to the city and to the University over the years. Neal Brown is a guy from Kentucky who played at UK. Jeff Brohm's Dad and brother both played for Louisville and the same high school that Jeff would be sending his son to next year.

I would actually be interested to learn if there is a candidate with more entrenched history to a city and program than Jeff Brohm at Louisville.

You missed where I said Stoops isn't going anywhere for at least 3 or 4 years so Brown's UK ties do not matter until UK becomes open. At the point the UK job opens along with Brown being successful at Louisville then he would look hard at UK and probably leave because everyone close to him would want that for him.

If Brohm's inner circle, those you listed, wants him to stay at Purdue then he will stay at Purdue. I don't believe that is the case. Their family is a big part of the Louisville community and football program.

We shall see.

Last edited:
First and for most, I really do think that Jeff Brohm will be our new coach. BUT for argument's sake what do you all think about Washington coach Peterson?

As much as he may like UK he doesn't like UK more than himself or his family. That is what drives these coaches. The only reason he didn't make my list is because he wouldn't be accepted by the fanbase or even donor base.

Lol. Purdue fans are having a hard time grasping the facts. You guys just don’t get how tied to the Louisville community the Brohm’s as an entire family are. His son will be the fourth or fifth generation to graduate from Trinity HS and it would be the same for UofL. That tradition trumps two years in West Lafayette. And if he should stay at Purdue it won’t be his family pushing for it. They are so intertwined into the UofL culture it would be more than likely be the reverse. If he should stays I believe it will be other factors but not family reasons.

First and for most, I really do think that Jeff Brohm will be our new coach. BUT for argument's sake what do you all think about Washington coach Peterson?

I think Peterson is a heck of a coach. And there is absolutely no way he will ever be UofL’s coach. He’d be on the short list for places like Alabama.

Lol. Purdue fans are having a hard time grasping the facts. You guys just don’t get how tied to the Louisville community the Brohm’s as an entire family are. His son will be the fourth or fifth generation to graduate from Trinity HS and it would be the same for UofL. That tradition trumps two years in West Lafayette. And if he should stay at Purdue it won’t be his family pushing for it. They are so intertwined into the UofL culture it would be more than likely be the reverse. If he should stays I believe it will be other factors but not family reasons.
Not challenging the Brohm ties, but I don’t think you understand the term generation at Trinity. Oscar didn’t even go there. There have been many Brohms to graduate from Trinity, but they are all the same generation.

Not challenging the Brohm ties, but I don’t think you understand the term generation at Trinity. Oscar didn’t even go there. There have been many Brohms to graduate from Trinity, but they are all the same generation.

I understand generations just fine. Doesn’t change anything. Their ties to UofL are what matters.

Brohm stays for 1 reason, the money is so ridiculously good he can't pass it up. There won't be many Louisville fans that will have a problem if that is what happens. They come in at 6m good for him. It won't have anything to do with his inner circle other than telling it to good of a deal $$$ wise to pass up.

That is a very real possibility, I think we all realize that.

Brohm stays for 1 reason, the money is so ridiculously good he can't pass it up. There won't be many Louisville fans that will have a problem if that is what happens. They come in at 6m good for him. It won't have anything to do with his inner circle other than telling it to good of a deal $$$ wise to pass up.

That is a very real possibility, I think we all realize that.

This is what I've been saying for a week. 100% agreed. I think Purdue will have to significantly overpay him to get him to stay. Even if their initial counter offer to Louisville's is $4-$5-$600,000 more I think he still comes to Louisville. Purdue's counter offer will have to start at $6 and go up from there because I would suspect Louisville's offer will max out at $5 million.

The tickets better not go up to pay all this money.

$59 a pop right now.

Attendance is already dropping.

I went Ryan Day-(he is actually my 1st Choice Period)
Scott Satterfield and Mike Norvell...

Including Brohm

Ryan Day
Jeff Brohm
Scott Satterfield

If we get anyone of those I’m just fine and I would also include Chip Long & Neil Brown...I’m not hung up on the “UK” Ties...Football Coaches are mercenaries IMO
Vince Dooley played at Auburn and remains Georgia's greatest coach. Bobby Dodd played at Tennessee and coached at Georgia Tech when it was in the SEC and played Tennessee annually. Darryl Royal played at Oklahoma and was coach at Texas.

I'm not having a hard time grasping facts at all. I totally understand the ties that Brohm has to the area. But to believe that is the end all-be all of his decision is short sighted, at best.
What if Brohm doesn't care that his son graduates from Trinity? (btw, his son doesn't play football)
What if he accounts for the happiness of his family as a whole over his own potential selfish wants for 'his legacy' at UofL?'
What if he also puts the well being of his staff (that have followed him from WKU) ahead of his own? By all accounts, Brohm is a man who looks out for those who are closest to him...and by all means understands that family aspect of building a program. Purdue can, at this point in time, offer more money for his staff and added staff from the BOT (BOT could potentially offer more than $10.5 million in total for salaries combined),
What if his father is telling him to hold true to his word at Purdue and that the Purdue job is in fact the better job for his present and future coaching career?
What if he simply views the known commodities he has at Purdue and the potential in the near future as out-weighing his 'potential legacy' at UofL?
a. Top 25 recruiting class to pair with the other potential 15-17 starters returning
b. Rondale Moore (btw, he isn't going to transfer to UofL)
c. Football Performance Center is, by all measure, one of the best in the country
d. Upcoming stadium renovations that will have Brohm's ideas and input
e. Increased salaries for all assistant coaches and support staff
f. Larger B1G revenue stream in the next 2 to 3 years that could potentially be as large as $60 million per year.
g. The foundation of culture that has been laid and shown to work at Purdue under Brohm.

I could list a litany of potential negatives for UofL but you likely already know them or refuse to acknowledge them as being a potential major hurdle to get Brohm at UofL.

I don't like playing in potentials...I would rather look at and decide upon facts and those above are all facts. The fact that UofL fans are relying upon is a legacy in the Louisville area...but you are lacking in or clearly behind in those pieces that I referenced above.

And here is the kicker: If Brohm does decide to leave, most Purdue fans would be totally ok with it BECAUSE it is where he is from. The fans would wish him well and hope he is successful because of what he was able to to do at Purdue in two years. He and his staff would have put Purdue in a position to hire someone to carry on what they started. My question is would UofL feel the same way about Brohm if he decides to stay at Purdue and wish him well or would the curse his name and say he isn't welcome back?

All I am saying is there is a lot more to this whole process than what many Cards fans believe there is. Brohm is a smart man and the first thing he is going to do is assure himself of success where ever he goes. He was sold on that ability by AD Mike Bobinski at Purdue when many told him not to take the job and to see the success they have had together in building this goes a very long way. Purdue is clearly on the positive track and him staying at Purdue would likely lead to a Top 15-20 class again for 2020 (looking at his 2019 class as evidence and the fact the negative recruitment against Purdue is just this situation). At UofL, you have said it would be a total rebuild because of the state Petrino allowed the program to get to. That is no guarantee of success.

In the end, I hope the best for both programs.

Last edited:
^ I didn't read this essay...too many what ifs for me to care about what you say on a UofL board. Methinks you doth protest too much.

You obviously don't understand the Trinity connection or the Louisville Catholic culture that draws a family like the Brohm's to come back home.

And, oh by the way Flaget was the Trinity West before Trinity East came into FB prominence.

I'm not having a hard time grasping facts at all. I totally understand the ties that Brohm has to the area. But to believe that is the end all-be all of his decision is short sighted, at best.
What if Brohm doesn't care that his son graduates from Trinity? (btw, his son doesn't play football)
What if he accounts for the happiness of his family as a whole over his own potential selfish wants for 'his legacy' at UofL?'
What if he also puts the well being of his staff (that have followed him from WKU) ahead of his own? By all accounts, Brohm is a man who looks out for those who are closest to him...and by all means understands that family aspect of building a program. Purdue can, at this point in time, offer more money for his staff and added staff from the BOT (BOT could potentially offer more than $10.5 million in total for salaries combined),
What if his father is telling him to hold true to his word at Purdue and that the Purdue job is in fact the better job for his present and future coaching career?
What if he simply views the known commodities he has at Purdue and the potential in the near future as out-weighing his 'potential legacy' at UofL?
a. Top 25 recruiting class to pair with the other potential 15-17 starters returning
c. Football Performance Center is, by all measure, one of the best in the country
f. Larger B1G revenue stream in the next 2 to 3 years that could potentially be as large as $60 million per year.
g. The foundation of culture that has been laid and shown to work at Purdue under Brohm.

I could list a litany of potential negatives for UofL but you likely already know them or refuse to acknowledge them as being a potential major hurdle to get Brohm at UofL.

I don't like playing in potentials...I would rather look at and decide upon facts and those above are all facts. The fact that UofL fans are relying upon is a legacy in the Louisville area...but you are lacking in or clearly behind in those pieces that I referenced above.

And here is the kicker: If Brohm does decide to leave, most Purdue fans would be totally ok with it BECAUSE it is where he is from. The fans would wish him well and hope he is successful because of what he was able to to do at Purdue in two years. He and his staff would have put Purdue in a position to hire someone to carry on what they started. My question is would UofL feel the same way about Brohm if he decides to stay at Purdue and wish him well or would the curse his name and say he isn't welcome back?

All I am saying is there is a lot more to this whole process than what many Cards fans believe there is. Brohm is a smart man and the first thing he is going to do is assure himself of success where ever he goes. He was sold on that ability by AD Mike Bobinski at Purdue when many told him not to take the job and to see the success they have had together in building this goes a very long way. Purdue is clearly on the positive track and him staying at Purdue would likely lead to a Top 15-20 class again for 2020 (looking at his 2019 class as evidence and the fact the negative recruitment against Purdue is just this situation). At UofL, you have said it would be a total rebuild because of the state Petrino allowed the program to get to. That is no guarantee of success.

You're spending a lot of words and time passive-aggressively trying to dispel the the positives and advantages UofL fans see in our program and football situation, as well as claiming we don't really understand the many positives and advantages that Purdue has to offer. Simply put, you are condescendingly implying we don't have an accurate perception of our current football situation and that we simply refuse to acknowledge the many superior factors that Purdue athletics has over Louisville. I think you are really wasting your, and our, time here; you're not going to sway anybody here of Purdue's superiority, any more than the UofL posters coming to your board to "educate" your fans.

[QUOTE="JohnnyDoeBoiler, post: 515988, member: 50504"

In the end, I hope the best for both programs.[/QUOTE]
Well, I agree with this and share your hopes.
The rest of your post is crap.

Reactions: Mayoman
When someone uses 'what ifs' and says they are facts....I have to wonder about their reasoning abilities. WTH is a fact to this rube?

Well for starters I never said that UofL would be a total rebuild. Almost player for player UofLs talent exceeds Purdue’s. This will be a quick turnaround.

Second your training facilities may be new but we just updated ours, which by the way weren’t ancient. They were barely 20 years old.
And that training facility doesn’t make up for your ancient stadium (I’m being nice) compared to the state of the art Stadium we have and just expanded and upgraded our video screens.

As far as funding if you make all this money why is Purdue not on the top 25 most profitable athletics list. UofL by the way is 20th. Don’t be fooled by the issues were having, there merely temporary. Will match Purdue if and only if our AD see it as a value. We have options. Just last year UofL was listed as one of the top 25 best coaching jobs in college FB. Purdue once again wasn’t on that list.

As far as quality of life surely you’re not comparing West Lafayette to Louisville if so well that depends on your definition of quality of life. I personally like a major airport within my city along with great restaurants and the arts. Not to mention one of if not the nicest college basketball arenas and soccer stadiums, just to mention a few things.

I think you’re underestimating the Brohm family ties. But you’re correct he will do what’s best for his immediate family. But his ties to Louisville aren’t superficial like the ties to Purdue. He’s barely been there two years.

This I can promise you, if not Louisville it will be someone else sooner than later. That’s the life of our programs.

I don’t know why people like norvell so much. The guy is riding Fuente’s coat tails to a mediocre team. Can’t be a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT