ADVERTISEMENT

Pettiford is out. Mack in trouble?

LeFors4Ever

Three-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
What went from a calm and patient fan base just 1 month ago, we are now on alert folks.

2 assistants are gone and now 2 recruits. Irish Hulk has transferred.

I gave Mack the benefit of the doubt because he was supposed to EJ the calm and cool guy to ride this probation. But now this is looking like it’s getting close to a train wreck if he doesn’t turn this around.

For all of Rick’s sins (he deserved to be fired IMO), the basketball team quality NEVER suffered once in any scandal. He kept it together. Even when we had players arrested or kicked off, he still held firm.

Mack’s seat warmer is 10 degrees hotter.

I agree it doesn't look good right now. But let's see where everything stands once the dust settles and who remains and who goes. I expected some decommits when two of the assistant coaches that recruited them are gone.

Now if Cards keep losing recruits and we have mass transfers it will be time to panic.

We are getting a couple high quality transfers. I’m not sure where Mack’s head is on all this, but I wonder if the looming sanctions have made him re-think trying to develop guys instead of trying to win now.

We are getting a couple high quality transfers. I’m not sure where Mack’s head is on all this, but I wonder if the looming sanctions have made him re-think trying to develop guys instead of trying to win now.
But who is a "high quality" transfer? The Powell kid seems to be going to Le$$ington.

If it's a Fresh Kimble, that's not high quality. If it's a Carlik Jones, then yeah. But you don't get a Carlik or Dame Lee that often.

And also, I do think the reliance of grad transfers and other transfers have held us back a bit. We have to get a higher level of talent. We saw that his recruits have done well once they've gotten on the floor, they just give a higher level of athletic ability and play. I loved Sutton, McMahon, Kimble, etc. last year, but you could tell there was a ceiling as to how high you could go with mid-major level athleticism playing big minutes.

Another thing, it's going to be ANOTHER year of roster turnover and ANOTHER new point guard. I do not like that one bit.

I still think we have a solid base of talent, but if he's making room for transfers then he better make a big splash.

Matt Cross > EVDH

Proven ACC player over a project.

I would consider that an upgrade

Reactions: Deeva
I think UofL has a great shot at Jay Heath from BC. Averaged 13/game. A few others are on radar - high impact transfers.

But let's see where everything stands once the dust settles and who remains and who goes.

I was talking to a friend the other day who mentioned that Cincinnati has *6* players in the Portal, and zero incoming recruits. Only 4 players back on the roster. I think this is just a crazy chaotic time for a lot of teams and we are really going to just have to wait and see.

3-star 6'8, Eric Van Der Heijden
4-star 6'1, PG Bobby Pettiford
both recruited by Dino Gaudio

Both are very talented players. Maybe UofL has some quality transfers coming or some bad news is coming out soon. I am sure KSR will know before UofL does.

Why go to sUcK I think they are headed for the down side now that Cal has lost his recruiting and coaching connections. I understand how you would lose a recruit because his main recruiter is no longer here. I don’t think losing Aidan was that tragic it is probably a good thing ( more space for a better player). This is college basketball you play because your better than the other.
If the other guy doesn’t understand that he will never play anywhere. I don’t think it is time to panic yet, for all we know CarliK Jones could be coming back and Ellis no longer saw playing time as the starter.

I was talking to a friend the other day who mentioned that Cincinnati has *6* players in the Portal, and zero incoming recruits. Only 4 players back on the roster. I think this is just a crazy chaotic time for a lot of teams and we are really going to just have to wait and see.

This is true. This is and will be a crazy off season in part due to the transfer and eligibility exceptions. If you look at some other programs, like you said, they are having a lot of transfers and roster turnover.

I could be wrong but it's too soon to panic about the Card's roster just yet.

I think there's a little bit of denial, or maybe misunderstanding as to the impact off court problems have already had and the impact of potential looming additional discipline from the NCAA.

I think this is recruits being recruited over for possible returnees or transfers. David Johnson is no longer a first round sure thing and Carlik may consider coming back if he sees a loaded roster he could lead.

Pettiford's gone and Ellis could back up Carlik at PG? With Malik coming back, Withers can go to the wing and that may have led to the other recruit to ask out?

So these two recruits moving on would be a good thing if Malik, DJ and Carlik came back. Even if only two come back.

Reactions: vivid_red
This is going to be a very interesting couple of months. The amount of players leaving programs is going to be absurd. Will the new one and done be transfers? Will coaches the limit roster movement be the big winners.

Watch who Mack brings into replace those leaving, and it will make perfect sense.

3-star 6'8, Eric Van Der Heijden
4-star 6'1, PG Bobby Pettiford
both recruited by Dino Gaudio

Both are very talented players. Maybe UofL has some quality transfers coming or some bad news is coming out soon. I am sure KSR will know before UofL does.
Both are 3 stars according to rivals

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT