ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino wins pot on tim Sullivan

Heard it although I wasn't sure he was telling the truth. More likely a pretty good way to dodge the question. He got laughs, and he never answered the question...

Print newspaper subscriptions and advertising revenues are declining putting many at risk for going out of business. I think it has made newspapers be more "tabloid-like" to sell their product than the journalism standards used in the past. Businesses, too, sometimes save money by hiring younger, cheaper workers. I wonder if these factors have influenced Sullivan after his last firing at the San Diego Union Tribune to put great emphasis on writing columns that might sell newspapers (and protect his job) than be concerned with journalism ethics and professional standards.

Here is some supporting information.

Sullivan was 57 years old in 2012 when he was fired from his last job at the San Diego Union-Tribune. He says:
"Being unemployed for the first time was initially unsettling — I barely slept the first week and lost seven pounds...Within two or three weeks of the day I filed for unemployment benefits..."
Link: http://www.shermanreport.com/tim-sullivan-lands-louisville-describes-george-bailey-experience/

He gives a number of reasons why he thought he was fired, but includes "my comparatively healthy salary" and "my age" in the article "U-T Writer Wonders If He Got Sacked for Being Obstructionist."

Link: http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...rs-if-he-got-sacked-for-being-obstructionist/

Few people are buying print newspapers. Besides losing revenue, declining subscriptions makes it harder to sell advertising where revenue is made. These factors are brought out in the article, "The sky is falling on print newspapers faster than you think." (Link: )

Why is everyone up in arms about Petrino being asked about Lamar Thomas? I certainly would like to know what happened. And based on the speculation on here, I'm guessing a lot of other folks would as well.

Reactions: tkdcoach
Why is everyone up in arms about Petrino being asked about Lamar Thomas? I certainly would like to know what happened. And based on the speculation on here, I'm guessing a lot of other folks would as well.

Up in arms? I'm not getting that at all. We would all like to know what actually happened, but this thread is just getting a chuckle out of Petrino's way of dodging the question. I'm assimung we will never know the real truth. From my POV, the only thing " up in arms" worthy about the move is Justin Rowland's article which plays the race card on Jody Demling for saying Thomas "was a recruiter". The race baiting article can be found on The Wildcat Lair. That definitely got me up in arms. And to be fair, several UK posters called him out on it.

Last edited:
Up in arms? I'm not getting that at all. We would all like to know what actually happened, but this thread is just getting a chuckle out of Petrino's way of dodging the question. I'm assimung we will never know the real truth. From my POV, the only thing " up in arms" worthy about the move is Justin Rowland's article which plays the race card on Jody Demling for saying Thomas "was a recruiter". The race baiting article can be found on The Wildcat Lair. That definitely got me up in arms. And to be fair, several UK posters called him out on it.

There are two separate 2 page threads on TOS filled with posts complaining about Sullivan asking the question and saying UofL should ban the CJ.

Ok, in this small thread, the poster baseonballs appears to be questioning the ethics and integrity of Sullivan in asking the question.

I am relieved. When I read the title, I thought Petrino was moving to Colorado or Oregon or one of those states where pot is legal.

I don't know if the same law applies too this situation but if I have an employee that gets fired or moves on at their own will you are not supposed to divulge why it happened.

I don't know if the same law applies too this situation but if I have an employee that gets fired or moves on at their own will you are not supposed to divulge why it happened.

I agree, although he could've commented on the timing of his exit and how that all went down. Also I would have been interested to hear about the timing on filling the position and maybe what they are looking for.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what his point was...

Ok, in this small thread, the poster baseonballs appears to be questioning the ethics and integrity of Sullivan in asking the question.

I did not see the whole interview to know if it was Sullivan’s first question or only question. Regardless, the timing of his question and the place he poses it is where I question his motives. A number of his columns, and how he conducts himself, fit the profile more of a reporter for the National Enquirer than it does a reputable newspaper. When and where he poses his question seems to exemplify the supermarket tabloid National Enquirer advertising slogan: “Enquiring minds want to know….” Are his actions really about being a top notch reporter, or are they more about stirring the pot to sell newspapers in Louisville?

National signing day is about recruits. I would be more impressed with questions about recruits that might bring more information or unique insight than asking on signing day about a coach.

I did not see the whole interview to know if it was Sullivan’s first question or only question. Regardless, the timing of his question and the place he poses it is where I question his motives. A number of his columns, and how he conducts himself, fit the profile more of a reporter for the National Enquirer than it does a reputable newspaper. When and where he poses his question seems to exemplify the supermarket tabloid National Enquirer advertising slogan: “Enquiring minds want to know….” Are his actions really about being a top notch reporter, or are they more about stirring the pot to sell newspapers in Louisville?

National signing day is about recruits. I would be more impressed with questions about recruits that might bring more information or unique insight than asking on signing day about a coach.

When an asst coach, known for being a big recruiter, leaves the staff one day prior to signing day for the in-state rival, it is a story. Any responsible reporter would ask about that, especially given the timing of the release from UK. When would have been a more acceptable time to ask the question? As far as I know there aren't any other press conferences scheduled.

It's so-so journalism. Searching for the one story or being the first to report. Every sports reporter was talking about NSD. This guy wanted to talk about a story about a big time recruiter leaving to take a job with an in state rival like Knuckle said. I'm sure Bobby just felt that it was poor timing but if Thomas got fired or let go then he had something to do with how it played out. The guy was probably just trying to do his job. At least it wasn't about his personal life. IMHO, it was a fair game question.

C'mon guys do you really believe Thomas was being let go? When a coach is going to be let go it's obvious that it's going to happen. The group underperforms to a point that fans are expecting it. Rumors get out that it's likely going to happen or at least that it's a possibility. UL's WRs didn't underperform and haven't since Thomas has been there. He was responsible for an impressive group of recruits in 2015 and at the very least shared credit for getting Fitzpatrick to UL this year. UL is capable of replacing him I don't understand the attempts to belittle his work at UL. The info tweeted by the ESPN writer comes across as something that was planted after the fact. If it was known before the hire was made it likely would've come out IMO

Here is a post from TOS that best sums it up;

The Louisville staff was on tv the day before to address the very situation. I realize that newspapers are the media's version of the snail, but come on...the answers to the question are already recorded and on the Internet for anyone to see. McGee said its no big deal, we don't expect to lose any recruits (which we didn't) and we won't lose anything from a skill standpoint. So what exactly was Sullivan hoping to get out of them that wasn't already addressed the previous day? Nothing, he is being an a hole for the heck of it because some reporters get off on that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
I think the WR coach leaving is a big deal. Most importantly, you have a coach from your enemy that you’ve had a hard time beating coming over to your side. You got someone who knows a heck of a lot of the inner workings of U of L football on your staff. That’s big. Not to mention recruiting inside knowledge. Big also.

I am curious how this came about, too. I feel that whatever happened, Stoops/UofK, seemed to release it right before signing day. Maybe pick up big recruit right near the signing deadline with this news? Steal U of L’s thunder on recruiting day and news of the new stadium expansion?

BUT…………I seriously question Sullivan’s motives. Out of respect for the local team you cover, why not wait for another day and another time to ask about this? Signing day, whether you or I like it or not, has become huge. Why not give your local team its due? Asking questions like this on Signing Day seems to be something that BBN would buy and read in the Courier-Journal. If this is the only time that Sullivan has done this would be one thing, but a number of his columns have this tabloid approach.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I think the WR coach leaving is a big deal. Most importantly, you have a coach from your enemy that you’ve had a hard time beating coming over to your side. You got someone who knows a heck of a lot of the inner workings of U of L football on your staff. That’s big. Not to mention recruiting inside knowledge. Big also.

I am curious how this came about, too. I feel that whatever happened, Stoops/UofK, seemed to release it right before signing day. Maybe pick up big recruit right near the signing deadline with this news? Steal U of L’s thunder on recruiting day and news of the new stadium expansion?

BUT…………I seriously question Sullivan’s motives. Out of respect for the local team you cover, why not wait for another day and another time to ask about this? Signing day, whether you or I like it or not, has become huge. Why not give your local team its due? Asking questions like this on Signing Day seems to be something that BBN would buy and read in the Courier-Journal. If this is the only time that Sullivan has done this would be one thing, but a number of his columns have this tabloid approach.

I'm afraid I'm going to sound like zipp with this, but here goes. You just listed two paragraphs as to why this situation was relevant to recruiting and timely. And yet in a sign of the millennial age, you don't want the question asked because it rains on the party a little bit.

When an asst coach, known for being a big recruiter, leaves the staff one day prior to signing day for the in-state rival, it is a story. Any responsible reporter would ask about that, especially given the timing of the release from UK. When would have been a more acceptable time to ask the question? As far as I know there aren't any other press conferences scheduled.

When an assistant coach known for being a big recruiter does not land any players in a class and we do not lose any with him, i.e. Dawkins, is he really a big recruiter? Let's add this. Did the WR's really look like a well coached unit? This answers all questions in this thread, even the one from the hillbilly.

When an assistant coach known for being a big recruiter does not land any players in a class and we do not lose any with him, i.e. Dawkins, is he really a big recruiter? Let's add this. Did the WR's really look like a well coached unit? This answers all questions in this thread, even the one from the hillbilly.

His reputation was as a big recruiter. Looks like he didn't have an impact this year, which is probably a good thing.

Considering almost all the receivers were first year players, I would say they looked pretty darn good. Now, I'm not sure who was responsible for that growth, but that would have been a reasonable question since only the coaches and players were at practice.

I'd bet most on our staff has worked with and/or knows well, most on the uk staff. And most, on most staffs. Coaching is a BIG fraternity. They take care of their "brothers".

FB coach's NEVER get fired for long. They just go somewhere else. Everybody knows somebody. That's why they can get another job, usually within a week of being "let go".

I don' think he can tell uk much they don't already know. Just like nobody can tell CBP much more than he knows about Clemson.

So, no, it's not that big a deal as far as the inner secrets are concerned. And LT had zero recruits this year, so that's no big deal either.

His reputation WAS THOUGHT TO BE as a big recruiter. Looks like he didn't have an impact this year, which is probably a good thing.

Considering almost all the receivers were first year players, I would say they looked pretty darn good. Now, I'm not sure who was responsible for that growth, but that would have been a reasonable question since only the coaches and players were at practice.

OK, think of it this way. What coach in their right mind would voluntarily leave the U of L football program to go to the Cayuts? Here come the UaK and SEC flamers, but the answer is NONE. He was not returning to U of L and no one better than the Cayuts offered. That is the second all you need to know.

BTW, I fixed your post.

I'm afraid I'm going to sound like zipp with this, but here goes. You just listed two paragraphs as to why this situation was relevant to recruiting and timely. And yet in a sign of the millennial age, you don't want the question asked because it rains on the party a little bit.

Especially with what has gone on in the news with basketball today, as well as making a few posts on the website after not posting much for a long time, I've realized a few things.

First, some of the media in Louisville play the fans of U of L and U of K against each other in order to sell advertising or newspapers. I personally think Tim Sullivan can be a slime ball sometime and I think he plays this game. it's not just about the question he asked at the U of L football signing day press conference. Not all stories he writes do this, but a good bit do. What I first added at the start of this thread about Sullivan (how he got fired from his job in San Diego and when said he didn't sleep for days and lost 7 pounds afterwards), makes me think that he might have learned some painful lessons about the print media business and what he might have to do to keep his job at his age. Whether you agree with me or not, I have that opinion.

Secondly, because I affirm some points that support how you feel about the question that Sullivan asked at the football signing day; it does not mean that you can draw the conclusion that a reporter can't decide when and where they ask what questions. Looking back, I guess I grew up with reporters in Louisville supporting their college. Now, maybe with the business pressure they are under as well as how intensely the rivalry between the two has grown (including in social media), the Louisville reporters do cover both schools and write stories that fans from each school might read.

Also, I guess I feel that Stoops had a good bit to do with when the information about the WR coach leaving was released. I think, too, that Stoops can be a slime ball at times. I thought he had a lot to do 2 seasons ago with trying to have U of K players that weren't even dressing for the game against U of L trying to get U of L players into fights before the game to get them thrown out. I guess he's under a lot of pressure to win at U of K and he's making a huge amount of money to coach. Maybe that has a lot to do with it.

Finally, if you cannot understand what I am trying to say, I feel sorry for you. We also have the right to disagree. Times like this reminds me of some of the stupid stuff that goes on on these message boards that make it a waste of my time.

Yes we have the right to disagree. I respect your opinion and that you are a Cards fan. I just get annoyed when folks think the media should cow-tow to the university. The people running the university are well-paid, well-educated big boys and girls. I see no problem with asking them uncomfortable questions. For instance, I cannot wait until the media has an opportunity to fully question all involved regarding this post-season ban crap. It is the media's role to question how and why things were done. The problem is that sometimes it takes an old jerk like Sullivan to do that. Howie, Jody, the people at 93.9, etc are dependent on access to the program and that may influence their ability to ask these uncomfortable questions.

Reactions: baseonballs
Yes we have the right to disagree. I respect your opinion and that you are a Cards fan. I just get annoyed when folks think the media should cow-tow to the university. The people running the university are well-paid, well-educated big boys and girls. I see no problem with asking them uncomfortable questions. For instance, I cannot wait until the media has an opportunity to fully question all involved regarding this post-season ban crap. It is the media's role to question how and why things were done. The problem is that sometimes it takes an old jerk like Sullivan to do that. Howie, Jody, the people at 93.9, etc are dependent on access to the program and that may influence their ability to ask these uncomfortable questions.

You make sound points here. We do have the right to see things from 2 different views. It is painful to see what went on today at the university. I have been a U of L fan for a long time.

I guess I will retire, again, from making many posts. I love sports, but stuff that is going on between U of L and U of k sours my interests.

Take care.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT