ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino is lost

Many on here cannot fathom the fact that Watson and Strong left Bob Petrino a deplete offense, coupled with an offensive line that would not be good even in G5 football. I say just wait it out , the changes are coming. We will be ok .
Sorry wilkie. Can't wait it out.

Gotta have answers today and fixes tomorrow. Because we'll all be dead the day after.

Maybe you missed the memo...

...The offensive line will show great improvement with pocket passer and power running.
Hold the presses... This under-performing O-line is now better off trying to execute a "power running" attack.

Do some of you guys read what you write?...

I think a lot of folks were expecting the Year 2 offensive bounce that Petrino teams have experienced. Of course, that bounce has obviously been offset a ton by the youth on offense and by going with a QB that was playing in high school last year, and by abandoning his traditional offense.
What knuckles said...

I'm late to this spirited discussion, but I have a couple of observations. As to who's offense is being run, it seems clear to me that Bobby brought McGee to Louisvile because of his experience with the read option, an offense he ran effectively at UAB. In the CJ's post game article about the great success Staples had Friday night, Staples answered a question about how he was so successful in picking up the offense given having missed preseason practice time and the first four games due to injury. His answer was that it was the same offense that he was in at UAB under McGee. So it would seem, that while Bobby is calling the plays as Zipp reports, they are plays from McGee's play book.

The other point as I see it has to do with the improved running game when Bolin enters the game. And I don't put much stock in the claim the defense is exhausted by the time he enters. I think it is the difference between running plays run with the QBs under center vs in the shotgun. The running backs break on the snap when the QBs is under center and hit the line quicker and with more force. When watching plays run from the shotgun, the back has to wait for the ball to get to the QBs and then start for the line. Our linemen seem to be able to maintain a block with enough efficiency to open a hole, but not long enough to account for the longer time it takes the back to hit the hole.

So our plight at this point is waiting for o-linemen good enough to sustain blocks. As of now our o-line play is brutal.

"As to who's offense is being run, it seems clear to me that Bobby brought McGee to Louisvile because of his experience with the read option, an offense he ran effectively at UAB. In the CJ's post game article about the great success Staples had Friday night, Staples answered a question about how he was so successful in picking up the offense given having missed preseason practice time and the first four games due to injury. His answer was that it was the same offense that he was in at UAB under McGee. So it would seem, that while Bobby is calling the plays as Zipp reports, they are plays from McGee's play book.

Interesting.

Calling The Bobby Petrino Show doesn't make anyone an insider.

If you don't know what McGee does, you don't know what he's not doing.

The topic isn't about unreasonable expectations for the season either.

The conversation is centered around a sputtering offense rated 84th (albeit against a tough D SOS) and the system we're using that's been ineffective, with bizarre mistakes made on the reg.

Conspiracy theory is just going so far, I don't know why there can't be truth somewhere in between the extremes. I would think (OMG opinions) the majority of staffs have internal conflict around the country, so what we're discussing here isn't unique.

Reactions: BPGhost
OP created the thread at halftime of the WF game, which was a very frustrating game. It was a vent thread and likely some of it should be walked back but it happens when fans post during games.

Pitino said it best..."Success is a Choice." No one accused him of insulting those who don't make that choice.

I'm simply using that approach... If you believe in conspiracy theories centered around Petrino and the offense, you're an idiot. I didn't call anyone that--you make that choice yourself.

Life ain't necessarily bad as an idiot. I think they're unionized in European villages...

So now you're bringing Pitino into the conversation? And your main point is that what you heard coach say is a fact? Way to hammer your point home.

Like Pitino says "you suspend yourself".

In the context of this thread, nobody else's fault if you're an idiot. You got there all by yourself...

Idiots don't generally use data or reject conspiracy theories. If you can find examples otherwise, bring 'em forward...

Do you know what the word "otherwise" means?

Here's a hint..."Besides me."
:)

Just giving you a hard time. I actually agree with you about the conspiracy theory angle lol. Maybe channel more of this on pUKe fans rather than fellow Card fans. Or not, that's your choice, right? Go Cards!

Calling The Bobby Petrino Show doesn't make anyone an insider.

If you don't know what McGee does, you don't know what he's not doing.

The topic isn't about unreasonable expectations for the season either.

The conversation is centered around a sputtering offense rated 84th (albeit against a tough D SOS) and the system we're using that's been ineffective, with bizarre mistakes made on the reg.

Conspiracy theory is just going so far, I don't know why there can't be truth somewhere in between the extremes. I would think (OMG opinions) the majority of staffs have internal conflict around the country, so what we're discussing here isn't unique.
The truth is almost always between the extremes. Some turds that love to try to dominate every conversation on these boards can't stand that. Amazing how a dumbass few can manipulate so many.

I think its the Illuminati. They have infiltrated our training staff and are secretly pulling all the strings...

I think its the Illuminati. They have infiltrated our training staff and are secretly pulling all the strings...
It's mind melding... I've seen Petrino and McGee putting their heads together, literally. :p

Some of our posters oughta write for Star Trek...

Hold the presses... This under-performing O-line is now better off trying to execute a "power running" attack.

Do some of you guys read what you write?...

I read it alright, and I am wondering if you understand that blocking for a power running game is a different blocking scheme than zone read approach? You do realize that we have a starting QB who cannot take snaps under center, and you do realize how that affects the rushing game?

I am starting to wonder about you. ??

Reactions: CardsDan
I read it alright, and I am wondering if you understand that blocking for a power running game is a different blocking scheme than zone read approach? You do realize that we have a starting QB who cannot take snaps under center, and you do realize how that affects the rushing game?

He's super fan. Just ask him.

He needs to stick to twisting the knife on the visitors.

He ain't the kinda guy interested in opinions of others, he wants concrete evidence that comes in the form of a link, quote, or a taped conversation of a radio talk show. No really.

He's just a bit confused, he treats the message board as if it's a court of law, instead of what the message board actually is, a place where fans go to share opinions, air frustration, and occasionally share facts too.

He doesn't like ideas that aren't his own.

He's better than you because he says so.

I think we get it.

Last edited:

We've had good O-lines not be able to execute a "power running attack" against good defenses.

Take Petrino 1.0 in his final year, 2006. (I presented these numbers before, but some of you guys need repetition...) The best four teams on our schedule that year are shown here with our rushing stats by game:

Miami 31 carries for 95 yards
WVU 32 for 114
Rutgers 39 for 103
Wake Forest 37 for 125

That's 19 total carries for 437 yards, for a sparkling 3.14 ypc. That team had Michael Bush (injured), George Stripling, Kolby Smith, and Anthony Allen at running back. Among the O-linemen were Eric Wood, Renardo Foster, Breno Giacomini, George Bussey, and Kurt Quarterman.

If you wanna show big rushing totals against crappy football teams, that's do-able. We had 312 yards rushing against Temple that year. But none of the O-linemen we have now would displace ANY of the O-linemen above. Nor most of the running backs.

But hey, let's do that power running thingy anyway... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Kinda forgot, we also had Brian Brohm at QB. And we obviously need a dropback passer to execute it. I think he was a better dropback passer than Kyle Bolin...

Last edited:
He's super fan. Just ask him.

He needs to stick to twisting the knife on the visitors.

He ain't the kinda guy interested in opinions of others, he wants concrete evidence that comes in the form of a link, quote, or a taped conversation of a radio talk show. No really.

He's just a bit confused, he treats the message board as if it's a court of law, instead of what the message board actually is, a place where fans go to share opinions, air frustration, and occasionally share facts too.

He doesn't like ideas that aren't his own.

He's better than you because he says so.

I think we get it.
Minus the snarky comments, hop, you've pretty much nailed it. Congrats! :cool:

I'd agree with you if somebody other than our speedy qb was gaining any yards with that read option thingy.
That's on your RBs and O-line, not your offensive system. Other read option teams have running backs gaining yards.

And even in the past when we've had good personnel AND used a dropback passer/pro style/power running system under Petrino, we haven't racked up rushing yards against better teams. That's revisionist thinking. Monte sure doesn't remember it accurately...

Petrino isn't lost.

We're one of the youngest teams in the country trying to teach 18 year old kids to play major division 1 football in the ACC behind an OLine that can't block nor can they refrain from holding or false starting.

Bobby Petrino has a roster and a 2015 recruiting class stacked with young weapons and we've got fans claiming he's lost because we overestimated how good we would be this year? This team still has a chance to go 8-4 and are currently favored to beat UK (on the road) for the 5th consecutive year...thats a good season for a team this young and thats only 1 game off what I predicted they would be before the season started.

I also recall Petrino talking in the offseason about games in the ACC routinely "going into the 4th quarter". Translation? Be ready for close games that are down to the wire.

Could be various reasons he said that... He could be trying to compliment our conference brethren, although I don't recall too many opposing fans remarking about Petrino doing his best imitation of Lou Holtz. Could be covering for himself in case things didn't rev up quite as fast as planned. Or he could be appropriately recognizing the strength of our opponents even if our fans continue to disrespect them.

If you look back at Petrino's last and best season at Arkansas and take out the first three nonconference games (Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy), his Arkansas team finished the last ten games at 8-2 and played in and won the Cotton Bowl. Over those final ten games, Arkansas averaged just 8.6 ppg better than its competition. Again, that's while winning 80% of those games.

Petrino has experience playing in a good conference. Ours is very limited. If you wanna regard games like Missouri State and New Mexico as games that matter, you have no business playing in a big boy conference. We wanted this, and now we're getting it...

Reactions: Mayoman
I also recall Petrino talking in the offseason about games in the ACC routinely "going into the 4th quarter". Translation? Be ready for close games that are down to the wire.

Could be various reasons he said that... He could be trying to compliment our conference brethren, although I don't recall too many opposing fans remarking about Petrino doing his best imitation of Lou Holtz. Could be covering for himself in case things didn't rev up quite as fast as planned. Or he could be appropriately recognizing the strength of our opponents even if our fans continue to disrespect them.

If you look back at Petrino's last and best season at Arkansas and take out the first three nonconference games (Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy), his Arkansas team finished the last ten games at 8-2 and played in and won the Cotton Bowl. Over those final ten games, Arkansas averaged just 8.6 ppg better than its competition. Again, that's while winning 80% of those games.

Petrino has experience playing in a good conference. Ours is very limited. If you wanna regard games like Missouri State and New Mexico as games that matter, you have no business playing in a big boy conference. We wanted this, and now we're getting it...
Which side of this discussion do you want, Zipster?

Which side of this discussion do you want, Zipster?
Sorry it wasn't clear. My main points...
  • Playing close games in the ACC is what Petrino said he expected early on. Why didn't our fans complain when he said that, or why are they complaining now that that's happening?
  • Playing close games has been Petrino's recent history (best and final season at Arky) even while experiencing a lot of success (Cotton Bowl that year).
  • Those fondly recalling Petrino blowouts of the past aren't acknowledging that we're not in CUSA anymore.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT