ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino is lost

Fern Creek Card

2000+
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Not sure what has happened but Big Bob and the staff have lost any control they had on this group.Unsportsmanlike, late hits, procedures, interference. Quarterback doesn't know by now to get rid of the ball. Dropped balls. Missed coverages. And don't forget this is against Wake. Not to mention the play calling. Ok the play calling. Ive seen better play calling at the grade school level. Im sorry. I don't remember it being this bad with Steve Kragthorpe. Hopefully its just my bad memory. Oh yeah, its not even halftime.Someone please save me.

Reactions: Otis_Wilson
He didn't become an offensive genius running the damn read option. He became a genius running a power spread out of multiple formations, with multiple checks at the line for the QB.

It seems pretty clear to me that Bobby has conceded control of the offense to McGee in exchange for McGee's willingness to be a coach here. The trade off feels like, McGee can go get some players that fit his system and we'll run his system, because Bobby cannot go get players given his reputation.

It feels like a really big mess.

There is obviously some politics going on to some extent.

I think that we'll see Bolin more and more as the season continues, because the read option is getting our young athletic QBs injured anyway. I don't want anybody hurt but Lamar has been hurt for a couple weeks now.

It seems pretty clear to me that Bobby has conceded control of the offense to McGee in exchange for McGee's willingness to be a coach here. The trade off feels like, McGee can go get some players that fit his system and we'll run his system, because Bobby cannot go get players given his reputation.

I think that we'll see Bolin more and more as the season continues, because the read option is getting our young athletic QBs injured anyway. I don't want anybody hurt but Lamar has been hurt for a couple weeks now.
I've been wondering why I see a Petrino team with QBs running a lot and looking awkward as passers.

Reactions: Guardman

I agree with this assessment. In addition, I think that he has completely turned the defense over to TG - to the point of referring to the defense as "them" in pressers. Both of these seem to be differences between Petrino and Petrino 2.0. I for one don't like it - particularly the ceding of the offensive play calling. I don't think in the previous four years he was here did I see Petrino look as absolutely shocked and bewildered as he has in just the past two games. That's a reflection of not being in control. When you're in control and things go wrong - you get pissed off - not befuddled.

I agree with this assessment. In addition, I think that he has completely turned the defense over to TG - to the point of referring to the defense as "them" in pressers. Both of these seem to be differences between Petrino and Petrino 2.0. I for one don't like it - particularly the ceding of the offensive play calling. I don't think in the previous four years he was here did I see Petrino look as absolutely shocked and bewildered as he has in just the past two games. That's a reflection of not being in control. When you're in control and things go wrong - you get pissed off - not befuddled.
Ive also seen Mc Gee wave Bobby off when he's come over to yell at Lamar for a mistake. That wouldve been inconceivable in BP's first time around.

Short memories...

Petrino never got involved with the defense. We were only as good on defense as his D-coordinator, which is pretty good nowadays. You'll have to give Grantham 98% of the credit on that side of the ball.

As far as offense, you see Petrino time and again shouting into his Denny's menu? That's the big guy calling plays into everyone's headsets. And they relay those to the QB. McGee has zero to do with the play-calling, at least in-game. That's all Bobby as it should be. Everyone needs to dispense with this McGee-playcalling-blame stuff. It's misdirected...

Zipp there is obviously a power struggle of some sort going on behind the scenes on the offensive side of the ball, or an agreement as to what system was going to be implemented despite the personnel we have.

If you really think Bobby Petrino is calling all the plays that aren't working and is stunned they aren't working I think you're off base.

Bolin is clearly a more ready to play passer and to suggest we're using the system that gives us the best chance to win just doesn't feel accurate. I believe a power play is going down. Lamar is just incredibly raw and so mistake prone, he shouldn't have been starting this year. Reggie is a great Card, and an unselfish player, but he didn't look like much of a QB to me either. Bolin makes throws with ease that neither of the other two kids can make. At least not now.

Bobby knows all this. Yet,the system we have used the majority of the season....

Why is there an "obvious power struggle"? What are you seeing that tells you that? I see nothing but Petrino calling plays, good and bad.

BTW, I know he calls all the offensive plays because I personally asked him about three weeks ago. He gave the answer on the radio to thousands of people listening. Why would he lie about that? You think he's covering for McGee?

If that's the case, why is it so important that McGee be here as some of you guys think? What leverage does McGee have to perform poorly and be rewarded so handsomely? Does McGee have undeveloped rolls of film from Arkansas that he's holding over Petrino's head? That conspiracy theory stuff is ridiculous.

I didn't see Bolin tonite do much more than hand the ball off to Smith and complete a few short passes. I DID see him get completely stuffed in the red zone when Wake brought pressure. Poor Kyle's feet might as well be set in concrete.

I'm glad all of these QBs are on the team and get to play in situations where they're needed most. I'm even more glad that Petrino is smart enough and wants to win badly enough to keep pushing buttons, to keep trying to execute better. He has nothing against any of these QBs. He wants to win more than any of us. And he's the guy hovering over the buttons, at least on offense, not McGee or Jurich or anyone in the Walmart photo finishing dept. (Do they still have those?...)

Reactions: cardstud1
UofL needs a UPGRADE on the offense line. There is not a true running back presence. In the UofL vs Wake Forest game UofL rushed the ball 42 times for only 68 yards. THAT IS TERRIBLE!!!!

Reactions: Cardinals4Ever
You guys are hilarious. If you think we are paying CBP 3 Million a season to delegate to his coordinators you're nuts!!! This team suffers from the most horrific offensive line I've seen in my 40 years of following the program plain and simple. You need not look any further than that. On defense, we are again suffering from youth in the secondary. Our front 7 is one of the best in the business.

You guys are hilarious. If you think we are paying CBP 3 Million a season to delegate to his coordinators you're nuts!!! This team suffers from the most horrific offensive line I've seen in my 40 years of following the program plain and simple. You need not look any further than that. On defense, we are again suffering from youth in the secondary. Our front 7 is one of the best in the business.

The offensive line is horrible, no doubt about it. However the QB can play a significant role in covering their deficiencies. He can check into plays based on the defensive front, he can have a good understanding of his hot read on pass plays, he can take a snap under center so they can hand the ball off quicker, he can step up into the pocket and look to throw the ball instead of just breaking down the play and running. Bolin does a better job on all these facets.

Another weeks worth of Bolin love affair. As for Lamar or any of our QBs, they are are all getting blown up due to poor line play. They can check into any other play, it doesn't matter because the line plain sucks!

This isn't a "love affair" with Bolin. I am convinced he gives the offense the best chance to succeed right now. Again, yes the o-line is terrible, but as I said in my prior post, there are things a QB can do to mitigate the damage.

Well if that's the case, then why are we paying the coordinators 2.5 million if Petrino is in charge of everything?

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Another weeks worth of Bolin love affair. As for Lamar or any of our QBs, they are are all getting blown up due to poor line play. They can check into any other play, it doesn't matter because the line plain sucks!
Amount of time provided to the quarterbacks is certainly less in our situation this year than previously. With that said, playcalling should reflect the lack of time provided and shorter routes should be the staple. Love affair or not - Bolin is the most accurate and gets the ball out on time better than Jackson. And when Jackson is dinged up like last night and unable to escape the pocket, he is simply not a good enough QB yet to warrant being on the field.

Reactions: beasleythecard
There is no quarterback that would make this offense better. Their is no offensive coach that can make this offense better. A coach/quarterback can check into all the plays you want, but if the line can't beat their guy it doesn't matter. In theory every play is designed to produce yardage. Louisville is next to last in the country with the number of offensive plays that produce NEGATIVE yardage. That is really all you need to know about this line. The defense is living in the offensive backfield. So please stop with a quarterback would make a difference.

The question Petrino has to ask is his offensive line coach the right guy? I don't know because of how young and how they apparently have no answer at center.

Defensively, I am not sure why Reeves gets so much playing time because he has burnt multiple times this year. Wiggins is good. JHC is not a safety no matter how much he wants to be one. They caught him in a good matchup for the TD. Williams and 15 make some mistakes but both are young.

It doesn't much matter who the RB or QB is if the line can't block or pass protect. Running backs need running lanes opened up to gain positive yards, and Quarterbacks need time to find their targets. Neither skill position is getting sufficient support from the O-line. It ALL starts with the line on both sides of the ball. Fix the line, and the rest falls in place.

JMO

[QUOTE="zipp, post: 152162, member
I didn't see Bolin tonite do much more than hand the ball off to Smith and complete a few short passes. I DID see him get completely stuffed in the red zone when Wake brought pressure. Poor Kyle's feet might as well be set in concrete.)[/QUOTE]

When plays were called for him that allowed him to be successful, three-step drops quick passes he was very effective. I don't think it's some strange coincidence either that the running game became more effective when Bolin came in given that wake forest knew they had to play the pass more.

I know bolin got stuff in the red zone basically because he took a sack by a unblock blitzer but can any of you deny seeing the offense move in rhythm on that drive. Mixture of positive runs by smith and passes in the flat to Samples. Maybe it was the defense that had to adjust to a new QB but the offense seem to flow better with bolin.

In all fairness, that was later in the game too, and the WF defense was getting worn down. That explains why Smith who runs hard was able to gain positive yardage even without sufficient running lanes. He plowed out his own lanes.

Don't misunderstand me. I like Bolin a lot but until the O-line issues are squared away, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference who the skill players are. It all starts with getting the O-line better.

Reactions: Cardinals4Ever
As it pertains to run blocking, it isn't that the o-line isn't blocking anyone (ok sometimes they don't block anyone) but that they cannot sustain blocks. That is what drives me crazy about us running the read option. The typical read option running play takes some time to develop, so the line has to sustain a block in that time. The way to compensate is to go under center and do quick handoffs that are simple to block. You can even throw a fullback in there or a motioning tight end to help. You probably won't get huge yardage that way because it is more of a 3 yards and a cloud of dust scenario, but it helps avoid the negative yardage plays and plays to the strengths of our running backs and o-line.

.... with the very young skilled playmakers on this team how can it Not be an easy sell to O-line recruits to come in and compete for early p.t. and be a part of an explosive offense...?

In all fairness, that was later in the game too, and the WF defense was getting worn down. That explains why Smith who runs hard was able to gain positive yardage even without sufficient running lanes. He plowed out his own lanes.

Don't misunderstand me. I like Bolin a lot but until the O-line issues are squared away, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference who the skill players are. It all starts with getting the O-line better.

Quotes from Petrino: "
"Reggie was done," Petrino said. "He couldn't go back in, and Lamar was kind of nicked up a little bit with his ankle, so Kyle came in. We've got all kinds of confidence in Kyle. He really understands the offense, knows what we're doing. I thought he did a great job of executing it."

"Lamar got hurt on the sideline right in the middle of a drive. We put Reggie out there, and then Reggie was not able to play anymore, and when Lamar went back out, I didn't feel like he was 100 percent. I told (offensive coordinator) Garrick (McGee) to get Kyle warmed up, and then my decision was, 'Let's go with Kyle. Let's get him in there and let him execute in the fourth quarter.'

Reactions: Cue Card
Why is there an "obvious power struggle"? What are you seeing that tells you that? I see nothing but Petrino calling plays, good and bad.

BTW, I know he calls all the offensive plays because I personally asked him about three weeks ago. He gave the answer on the radio to thousands of people listening. Why would he lie about that? You think he's covering for McGee?

If that's the case, why is it so important that McGee be here as some of you guys think? What leverage does McGee have to perform poorly and be rewarded so handsomely? Does McGee have undeveloped rolls of film from Arkansas that he's holding over Petrino's head? That conspiracy theory stuff is ridiculous.

I didn't see Bolin tonite do much more than hand the ball off to Smith and complete a few short passes. I DID see him get completely stuffed in the red zone when Wake brought pressure. Poor Kyle's feet might as well be set in concrete.

I'm glad all of these QBs are on the team and get to play in situations where they're needed most. I'm even more glad that Petrino is smart enough and wants to win badly enough to keep pushing buttons, to keep trying to execute better. He has nothing against any of these QBs. He wants to win more than any of us. And he's the guy hovering over the buttons, at least on offense, not McGee or Jurich or anyone in the Walmart photo finishing dept. (Do they still have those?...)

I'm not going full blown conspiracy. I'm seeing us stick to an offensive system that's been unproductive all season.

Don't confuse theory/opinion to be anything more than it is.

Petrino cannot recruit at a high level given his reputation. I don't see how that can be argued, at the very least there is a bit of truth to that. So he relies on these coordinators to do some real lifting in that department. The players may not be receiving promises from McGee and TG, but they are being brought as fits for McGee and Grantham's schemes - which is perfectly fine, if those systems are effective.

It's not so much what Bolin did directly Zipp. It's just having a throwing threat back there that forced the defense to honor that. Bolin was able to hit Staples on short passes with ease, something our other QBs haven't shown consistency with. Bolin engineered a drive from his own territory to the red zone. Brutal play calling thwarted it in the end. We were able to line up and run some straight handoffs and it's no coincidence Jeremy Smith found success given this development of who was playing QB.

I love your posts but I'm going to say just because Petrino told you something on a call-in show doesn't make it true. Coaches lie, especially to fans.

Last edited:
Where are you getting that this is or is going to be an "explosive offense"? Because Jackson is fast and looks exciting when he takes off? Some of you are so enamored with this kid's measurables that you lose sight of the fact that he just isn't a natural QB. Merely an athlete playing QB. One read and run. Why Petrino has fallen in love with playing this way is a great mystery to me. And yes I know the OL is awful and may be so for the foreseeable future

Reactions: teamcanada
If you think we are paying CBP 3 Million a season to delegate to his coordinators you're nuts!!! .

I'm only suggesting there is a bit of a tug of war in the process - and if you think we invested 1 Million in McGee and pay Grantham 1 Million directly to be minions in the process that's a bit laughable.

Those two coordinators are heavily involved in the recruiting process, and the guys they bring in fit their systems - and these are the guys that play and we build around. It's a perfectly fine strategy when their systems and players produce but when they aren't (the offense) then you get a discussion about it on a message board.

Zipp, what Cards fans need to be patient about is that the youth development with the o-line is a work in progress and requires 11 players operating in unison. Point in view is that series the Offense ran in the waning 1st half and the Offense got a TD in 22 secs...it even wowed Brown, ESPN commentator. That is an example of 11 players in unison and timing! We are winning presently with defense and CBP/T Grantham! Although, Hughley really either needs improvement or replacing! He just isn't comfortable in that position and throws off the o-line!

Reactions: Cue Card
Petrino said postgame Bolin has a better understanding of what they are trying to do in the run game at the line of scrimmage and he is better with handoff angles etc from under center.

Here's a link to hear what he said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/videos/sports/college/louisville/2015/10/30/74921572/
There is no doubt that the handoffs were much crisper with Bolin in the game and it doesn't hurt that Jeremy Smith hits his gap quick with no dancing. IMO that's why Radcliffe got benched as well as Dom last year. Hesitation to hit whatever hole is there.

Granted we don't open many holes in the run game but Smith is a north-south runner that keeps you out of 2nd and 14 which is a drive killer. Now if he can just learn how to protect the ball.

[QUOTE="Ipartiedwithhopgood, post: 152465, member:

Those two coordinators are heavily involved in the recruiting process, and the guys they bring in fit their systems - .[/QUOTE]

How about they bring in guys that fit Petrino's system?

Reactions: vegasville1
I think Bob Valvano nails who we are this year, and what that means:

@espnVshow: We now know who UofL FB must be. Must make plays defensively, force TO's, then creatively manufacture enough "timely" offense. Small margin.

Reactions: CardinalJim
Well if that's the case, then why are we paying the coordinators 2.5 million if Petrino is in charge of everything?
I think you raise a good point about McGee. Not because he calls the plays which he doesn't. But I think Petrino's OC is more or less a figure-head, and I do question overpaying that position. I'd like to know more what McGee actually does, not what you guys THINK he does.

As far as Grantham, there's no question that a good D-coordinator under Petrino is worth major $$$. That guy IS the defense...

Reactions: beasleythecard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT