ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino Buyout Amount is??

MDCardsFan

500+
Sep 21, 2015
I know that Petrino will finish the season (unless he pulls what he did @ Falcons) so what is the exact amount after the season?

$12M. It’s $12M the next 3 seasons actually. So if you think you are gonna fire him, you either do it after this season or in 3 years.

Reactions: wilkie01
$12M. It’s $12M the next 3 seasons actually. So if you think you are gonna fire him, you either do it after this season or in 3 years.

So if Tyra fires him after this season, it's $12 million or $36 million? Since you said next 3 seasons.

Not sure about the contract language. Perhaps the buyout can be paid over time, not one lump sum. $12M is $12M but more manageable in installments.

I said this in another thread but I'll repeat it in here, I will not renew my season tickets if Petrino is back. Hopefully Tyra w rip the Band-Aid and buy him out.

Tyra may need to hire some hotties to get closer to the program - need to find a way to get that "cause" for termination.

I kid.

Will be an interesting situation!

Obviously I have no inside connection or knowledge of the inside workings of the athletic department but looking at the buyout clause and how it rises the next two years I would say there's a decent chance he gets fired this year.

I would say if you're a fan that wants Petrino replaced then you just hope for more of the same from these first 4 games. If they don't improve there's absolutely no way they win another game and there's probably no way he's coaching next year if UL finishes 2-10 and UL would actually save money by not giving him another year to turn it around. There's no motivation for UL to keep Petrino another season if ULs a dumpster fire at the end of the year.

Obviously I have no inside connection or knowledge of the inside workings of the athletic department but looking at the buyout clause and how it rises the next two years I would say there's a decent chance he gets fired this year.

I would say if you're a fan that wants Petrino replaced then you just hope for more of the same from these first 4 games. If they don't improve there's absolutely no way they win another game and there's probably no way he's coaching next year if UL finishes 2-10 and UL would actually save money by not giving him another year to turn it around. There's no motivation for UL to keep Petrino another season if ULs a dumpster fire at the end of the year.

I think in a couple of years, we will all look back and realize after Jurich departed, there was no way Petrino was going stay. The team struggling is bad timing/coincidental, and also a byproduct of the behind the scene situation. Bobby hasn’t been the same Bobby, we all know that. This season, however, I don’t think he gives a shit. The dynamics and hierarchy at the university has changed. Leadership philosophy has changed. Petrino is not, was not going to be a part of that. 2018 season, like the weather, a wash out.

I think in a couple of years, we will all look back and realize after Jurich departed, there was no way Petrino was going stay. The team struggling is bad timing/coincidental, and also a byproduct of the behind the scene situation. Bobby hasn’t been the same Bobby, we all know that. This season, however, I don’t think he gives a shit. The dynamics and hierarchy at the university has changed. Leadership philosophy has changed. Petrino is not, was not going to be a part of that. 2018 season, like the weather, a wash out.

I agree with that.

Obviously Vince would never publicly say it, but I would personally assume (especially with the success he's had hiring coaches in his short tenure) that he would rather all the "bad eggs" from the previous administration be replaced. Its a lot of money to replace to Petrino but the department stands to lose a lot of money as well. It will be interesting to see what happens because at the absolute best I can see maybe 4 wins and with the roller coaster of ups and downs of his last 5 years combined with the rising buyout, would be enough in my mind to seriously consider replacing him.

This is easy. All Tyra has to do is find some female who is willing to say she was a victim of sexual misconduct. She doesn't have to recall where it happened, or when it happened exactly, but she knows for sure it was Bobby Petrino.

That's the world we live in now.

I think the real issue here is, whether the cost of a buyout at the end of 2018 season will be greater or less than revenue shortfall deceased ticket sales and donation. Our program cannot afford to go back to the attendance range of 25,000 to 35,000! So I say bite the bullet and save the program's financial status and reputation. TJ should be sued for the horrible contract he wrote for Bobby!

I think the real issue here is, whether the cost of a buyout at the end of 2018 season will be greater or less than revenue shortfall deceased ticket sales and donation. Our program cannot afford to go back to the attendance range of 25,000 to 35,000! So I say bite the bullet and save the program's financial status and reputation. TJ should be sued for the horrible contract he wrote for Bobby!

I would think that attendance would suffer drastically if Petrino were retained and with the new expansion the empty seats will be even more noticeable. Petrino has now lost that "excitement" or benefit of the doubt he had over a lot of the fan base where we assumed Petrino would get it right or that the game would be exciting and competitive so even those fans aren't likely to come back and support a Petrino coached team coming off a 4-5 win season where the program looked bad and wasn't fun to watch.

Let's not re-write history here re: Jurich. Look at the facilities before and after. Look at the conferences, before and after. Do you really want to go there?

I think the main reason why people are bringing up Jurich now (well in this thread/topic) is cause of the big buyout of Petrino's contract.

Do not forget at the same time TJ and Ramsey got multi-million dollar bonuses paid from the endowment funds that were restricted funds for education. TJ was good at first but then power corrupted him.

Please, I think what we would like or I would like to see happen is CBP has a revelation and figures out what’s wrong with this team. He has, in my opinion, 8 games to do it. Can’t be any ifs or buts or excuses, we need to see dramatic improvement in almost every facet in moving forward. If it doesn’t happen, we find a way to cut bait.

First, I didn’t want CBP back. Period.

But many of you bitching thought I was an idiot and CBP was who/what we needed for happy days again.

When he got that extension, most of you were giddy about it because “we can’t lose him”.

Now, it a bad deal? Funny how that works.

Nobody would ever need glasses if they had 20/20 hindsight.

Let's not re-write history here re: Jurich. Look at the facilities before and after. Look at the conferences, before and after. Do you really want to go there?
Absolutely - don’t seem to remember any of these Monday morning QBs bitching about Petrino’s contract when it was done. And if Petrino was performing the way we all expected - nobody would be saying an effing thing now.

Reactions: zipp
Jurich is bulletproof as far as I am concerned (I believe I am allowed to say that and to say that Tyra has done a phenomenal job so far). You look at his 20 years and you have an army of Top 25 programs and top facilities on one side, and Krag and maybe an overzealous extension with Petrino (which everyone was fine with before the ISU game) on the other. I wish the ledger of my last 20 years looked like that.

Absolutely - don’t seem to remember any of these Monday morning QBs bitching about Petrino’s contract when it was done. And if Petrino was performing the way we all expected - nobody would be saying an effing thing now.
Actually I wasn’t bitching but I have never been in favor of long term contracts and believe me 7 years is long term in terms of coaching. I think it was Coach Pitino that said every coach should have a 1 year deal so you don’t get complacent and you’re continually held up to review. If new coaches are usually given 3 years to produce, why not the same for a coach in place? You can always extend with good performance. Sort of like regular people who can be fired or terminated without cause or if I want a raise I have to perform at a higher level.

Actually I wasn’t bitching but I have never been in favor of long term contracts and believe me 7 years is long term in terms of coaching. I think it was Coach Pitino that said every coach should have a 1 year deal so you don’t get complacent and you’re continually held up to review. If new coaches are usually given 3 years to produce, why not the same for a coach in place? You can always extend with good performance. Sort of like regular people who can be fired or terminated without cause or if I want a raise I have to perform at a higher level.

I don't understand how/when coaches took all the power in this dynamic. When did universities start to have to bend over backwards to hire and keep a coach?

Petrino's contract basically states that the only way he can be let go with cause is for doing something illegal, either by NCAA standards or public standards. So as long as he can prove he isn't being negligent with his coaching duties, then theoretically he can go 0-12 and still not be fired for cause. Which is insane to me. I get that coaches want stability but all kinds of things happen in daily life and with athletic departments that change a coach for better or worse.

I don't understand why there wouldn't be a stipulation that states if the season win total drops below say 5 wins then the coach will be reevaluated and could be fired for cause. Doesn't mean he will be just means he can be and it still gives stability but also some power for the school to ensure the coach lives up to his salary.

You seem like a good guy Cue - but this was a bullshit post.
Just a little sarcastic humor that apparently hit a little too close to home for you. Sorry, but I didn't create the current mood in the country. For the record, we ALL should strive for every United States citizen to be protected by our consitution instead of allowing uncorroborated accusations to demonize and destroy someone's reputation. Our consititution plainly states people have the right to be presumed innocent UNTIL PROVEN guilty. Too bad our current core of poltical leaders continue to ignore that fact for their own political gain. It's dangerous.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT