ADVERTISEMENT

Per ESPN, NCAA to consider changing rules for Graduate Transfers

Crapiperi from SuCkS is in favor of them sitting a year.

I find this odd because he didnt have julius mays sit ayear as a grad transfer
from wright state.

Reactions: Cue Card

I find this odd because he didnt have julius mays sit ayear as a grad transfer
from wright state.

That guy is a joke, if they change that rule then they need to change the APR rule and give schools 6 years to graduate the players or lose scholarships.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCard28

I find this odd because he didn't have julius mays sit a year as a grad transfer
from wright state.
Calipari has been a two faced hypocrite most of his life. He sees the done and one recruiting angle as a threat to his one and done scheme for recruiting since he's the one who has enjoyed the most success with that strategy. It's all about the kid!

Nobody (Calipari leading that charge) seems to mind a kid using a college for a half year then leave for the NBA, but they do seem to have an issue with a kid who GRADUATED WITH A DEGREE and wants to use his extra year of AMATEUR STATUS to play AMATEUR basketball at a different college. It doesn't get much further away from the ideology of amateur sports than that. The NCAA is a joke of an organization, and Calipari is a two faced hypocrite.

But it hurts that mid-major school when that player leaves

Cal is a joke. Changing that rule would be a joke. This REWARDS a young man who actually graduates! Whoa now - it's not about the student-athlete it's about that mid-major school who loses that player for a year. What BS ! Funny how Cal is all about the kids (when it applies to him).

This is a joke. Doesn't a person have the right to attend any school they choose. Once they graduate they have lived up to their commitment. I see a lawsuit in the future. And the one and done should be illuminated because that isn't what college is all about. The NCAA is an absolute joke!

I am not so much for paying players but they can't change this rule and also try to justify not paying players.

I believe that college players get plenty of benefits but why take away a benefit you get for graduating?

Do graduate transfers receive scholarships? I could see where that may take away money from someone who wants to graduate from U of L. If they are on their own dime, I don't think it should matter.

Do graduate transfers receive scholarships? I could see where that may take away money from someone who wants to graduate from U of L. If they are on their own dime, I don't think it should matter.
Yes they receive scholarships, just like anyone else who doesn't walk on including the next great Michael Jordan hyped phenom HS player who has no problem or issue with taking a scholarship for 4 months from someone who actually wanted to go to college and graduate via scholarship.

Reactions: Louisville JD
Calipari has been a two faced hypocrite most of his life. He sees the done and one recruiting angle as a threat to his one and done scheme for recruiting since he's the one who has enjoyed the most success with that strategy. It's all about the kid!

Nobody (Calipari leading that charge) seems to mind a kid using a college for a half year then leave for the NBA, but they do seem to have an issue with a kid who GRADUATED WITH A DEGREE and wants to use his extra year of AMATEUR STATUS to play AMATEUR basketball at a different college. It doesn't get much further away from the ideology of amateur sports than that. The NCAA is a joke of an organization, and Calipari is a two faced hypocrite.
You guys are getting this twisted. The challenge to this isn't being lead by any P5 schools (or coaches), it's being raised as an issue by the smaller schools that these guys are transferring from. ESPN had a segment where several coaches from smaller schools were saying that this new fad of high level schools cherry picking the best players off of their teams is causing them lots of issues and would like to see the rule changed.

Reactions: trinity45
You guys are getting this twisted. The challenge to this isn't being lead by any P5 schools (or coaches), it's being raised as an issue by the smaller schools that these guys are transferring from. ESPN had a segment where several coaches from smaller schools were saying that this new fad of high level schools cherry picking the best players off of their teams is causing them lots of issues and would like to see the rule changed.
It's no more twisted than the phenom player eating up a scholarship for a few months that could have been used for someone who actually planned on earning a free college education while playing a sport in return.

Punishing some young man who has already graduated, and who wants to play for another program in order to use up his eligibility is stupid and sends the wrong message IMO.

It's no more twisted than the phenom player eating up a scholarship for a few months that could have been used for someone who actually planned on earning a free college education while playing a sport in return.

Punishing some young man who has already graduated, and who wants tp play for another program in order to use up his eligibility is stupid and sends the wrong message IMO.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was simply saying that the root of this seems to stem from smaller schools complaining to the NCAA.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was simply saying that the root of this seems to stem from smaller schools complaining to the NCAA.

Problem is: These small school Coaches can leave anytime they want to take another job, but yet they want a kid that has already graduated to hang around, so they can beef up their resume, and then leave for a bigger school?

Yeah, that's pretty hypocritical!

I don't see a need to change the rules. I could see them using the same APR standards for grad transfers as well as undergrads. But having them sit a year does not make sense. The ONLY way I would think it is reasonable is IF the NCAA enforces fully guaranteed scholarships for all years (4 years undergrad, 2 years grad) for all student athletes.

I wonder how many of these done and one players would stay at the mid-major for another season if their goal is the NBA. I f they have their degree, why not try the draft, play in a d-league, go to Europe. I can't imagine many of these grads are going to give one more for the gipper, when it may have no impact on their future pro plans.

This is what we used to tell young baseball players who dream of playing in the bigs. If you do your work, it doesn't matter where you're at. If you are good enough and work your tail off, someone will recognize it. I think with Lee and Lewis it was more of a case of playing in the dance, although I'm sure they have aspirations of playing professionally.

I'm personally in favoring of getting rid of the NCAA and letting the power five conferences come together and maybe have an outside source to analyze issues and cases.

But the NCAA is too inconsistent with enforcement and rules and in the pockets of programs like UNC (ESPN president is an alum and Coca Cola's president is an alum and they're a huge sponsor of the NCAA) and Duke or Alabama football (Emmert was Saban's AD at LSU).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT