ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Verhulst Named to Naismith Award GBB semifinal list

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Shout out to 6'1" Bishop Miege H.S. and future Card guard Payton Verhulst for being named one of ten semifinalists!

Payton's having a great senior season at Bishop Miege (11-1) and is one of two (so far?) headed to Louisville next year, along with Sydni Schetnan.

If you want more on Payton, the knuckleheads over at Cardinal Couple wrote about her today. Proceed at your own caution, I don't think Paulie has had his coffee yet.

--sonja--

Reactions: beauxregard2
Ok Sonja. The little (so far?) insert was not missed. What are you hearing? I figured there was no room at the inn. Dana (presumably) will graduate and leave for the WNBA. That leaves everyone else returning. Doesn’t seem like anyone would leave. I guess if we start speculating at players who are not getting on the floor much (like Nyah) then I guess Ramani might fall into that category. Seems like everyone else gets on the floor on a fairly regular basis.

Bardman, perhaps my count is wrong but we have presently 12 on scholarship and will presumably lose Dana to graduation and and the WNBA. That leaves 11 players plus the two recruits coming in next season. Since we are allowed 15 scholarship players, we have two vacancies. Thus we do have room at the inn. I really do not think that Sonja is suggesting anything by saying "so far".

Ok, didn’t realize we had those available scholarships. Strange that we do. I guess thwt would open the door for another Fr, transfer or GT.

I really like the 2 players we have coming in next year and if we add another one the same caliber as them that would be great. Payton is good in every phase of her game, she shoots, rebounds, blocks shots and plays solid defense. Having a 6’1” guard on the perimeter will be a real bonus. Sydney is a big that actually jumps which is rare in the women’s game. All that being said I still think there will be an adjustment for them playing against bigger, stronger, faster and better players every game.

Reactions: Bardman
I would love to see another ‘big’ or just another 5’11”-6’1” very athletic player like Jazz.

One thing I've learned in the many years of watching Louisville women's basketball and Jeff Walz is that nothing is etched in stone. I've come to expect changes. Especially with the advent of the transfer portal.

--sonja--

Reactions: Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT