ADVERTISEMENT

Over ranked or under developed?

teamcanada

800+
Aug 27, 2007
UK fans were crowing over Mark Stoops recruiting when he first came aboard in 2013. I can only find 1 player who was drafted- Za'Darius Smith and he was a Juco, from his first two classes which were ranked #34 & #22 respectively.
Looking back now, do you think these classes were over ranked or did Stoops fail at developing his players?

Last edited:
Reactions: wilkie01
I'd speculate a bit of both. Stoops is a miserable coach, but I also can't say I've seen much raw talent on the field wearing blue since he's been there. He certainly cannot evaluate or develop talent on a level anywhere close to Petrino, but few coaches can.

To me to most surprising thing is how little Louisville's recruiting has been impacted by it NFL draft success. Louisville has recently produced a lot of NFL players. You would think that would of had a bigger impact.

Then other schools like UK still recruit at an elevated level considering their history on the field and in the draft. There is no reason football wise for a 4 star-5 star to play at UK, what can these coaches possibly say about their draft success or player development?

They should be so easy to recruit against yet they still land them. It really is baffling.

As another poster indicated, I believe the answer is a bit of both. Stoops has proven himself to be less than stellar as a head coach in both developing his own players OR in the hiring of great staff members. I’m in favor of him continuing as uahkay’s head coach until hell freezes over. All in favor . . . . . :p

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

To me to most surprising thing is how little Louisville's recruiting has been impacted by it NFL draft success. Louisville has recently produced a lot of NFL players. You would think that would of had a bigger impact.

Then other schools like UK still recruit at an elevated level considering their history on the field and in the draft. There is no reason football wise for a 4 star-5 star to play at UK, what can these coaches possibly say about their draft success or player development?

They should be so easy to recruit against yet they still land them. It really is baffling.
A lot of talent comes from out of state, and it is difficult to compete with local schools. Even Notre Dame struggles. That’s why development is critical to our success.

Yet they still like to say YATZEE! That was such a cute phrase in the beginning when they thought they were stealing all of the top Ohio talent from the Buckeyes. Now I just laugh when ever they say it because they still believe Stupes.

Here’s another UK thread. Thought this was a UofL site.
Im sure the whole country is discussing you guys since you are always the paper champs this time of year.

-tell everyone UK football is coming and mediocrity is coming with them

-weaker, fatter, uncoached

- Poops troops!

- yahtzee! on a player who will be worse at the end of his UK career than when he arrived

- Terry touchdown! against UK's scout defense.

I hope Stoops gets to coach UK for another 30 years. I enjoy watching him slowly morph into Steve Kragthorpe.

Here’s another UK thread. Thought this was a UofL site.
As the second of two whole threads, this one containing comments by a half dozen bored souls, lol.

Dude, making fun of UK football may not be necessary - you embarrass yourselves regularly enough - but it is just pure fun. Why can't you understand this, you poor man?

Reactions: Deeva

I think some of these players from outside of major cities get evaluated incorrectly. As to why they go to UK... One factor not yet mentioned is that some guys play football at UK just to get free UK basketball tickets.

Enter: Matt Elam.

I think some of these players from outside of major cities get evaluated incorrectly. As to why they go to UK... One factor not yet mentioned is that some guys play football at UK just to get free UK basketball tickets.

Enter: Matt Elam.

I wonder what Fat Matt is up to now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT