ADVERTISEMENT

Our Defense is Bad

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
We have some serious issues. We cannot control line of scrimmage. We don’t understand what our assignments are. Not good.

You are being nice. Tonight was a reality check and it is going to be a long season as well as a short season. Ugh!

Not sure what I’m being nice about. If you can’t control the line of scrimmage and you have linebackers and safeties running around aimlessly then you get beat at the P5 level. My bigger concern is that I’m not sure we have many impact freshmen that we can turn the reigns over to.

The Tech screen play before half changed the trajectory of the game. If that doesn’t get much yardage I think Tech is content to run out the half. Instead we give up a huge play. My concern is that the coaches didn’t realize that was prime spot for a screen or draw. The fact that we weren’t ready for that makes me very uneasy.

Defensive talent is poor, but defensive coaching is even worse. Scotty is going to have to fire his NAIA pals from BFE North Carolina

Defensive talent is poor, but defensive coaching is even worse. Scotty is going to have to fire his NAIA pals from BFE North Carolina

Brown is considered one of the brightest up and coming coaches in FBS. Let’s not forget that Petrino had no appetite for recruiting defensive players in his 2.0 stint.

The big question now is if the guys can pull themselves off the mat. This was gonna be a weird season but it shouldn’t be a forgotten one.

Reactions: Deeva
There seems to be a
By whom Is he considered that?

“Brown is a young up-and-comer and is obviously really good at recognizing and developing talent. He was recently added to the 35 under 35 Coaches Leadership Institution at 2019 AFCA Annual Convention by the American Football Coaches Association. It is a very prestigious honor and shows just how respected he is in the coaching industry.”

Not ready to throw Brown under the bus. Have to consider what he has to work with.

Last edited:
Brown is considered one of the brightest up and coming coaches in FBS. Let’s not forget that Petrino had no appetite for recruiting defensive players in his 2.0 stint.
That’s not true about Petrino. The one thing he could do was recruit. Jaire Alexander comes to mind. Our defensive recruiting issues are from coaching but not Petrino. How many DC’s have we had in the last 5-6 years? No continuity. Yeah we may be trying to play the same schemes 3-2-6 or 3-3-5 to complement our supposedly speed at LB, but it is proven we aren’t able to put pressure on the QB without blitzing. Grantham was probably the best at disguising his blitzes.

That’s not true about Petrino. The one thing he could do was recruit. Jaire Alexander comes to mind. Our defensive recruiting issues are from coaching but not Petrino. How many DC’s have we had in the last 5-6 years? No continuity. Yeah we may be trying to play the same schemes 3-2-6 or 3-3-5 to complement our supposedly speed at LB, but it is proven we aren’t able to put pressure on the QB without blitzing. Grantham was probably the best at disguising his blitzes.

Right now the only active roster defensive player in the NFL signed by Petrino is Jaire Alexander. 1 guy! And at this point it doesn’t appear that any of our Jr or Sr’s will play on Sundays. So in 4 recruiting classes it’s likely Petrino will have recruited one top shelf defensive player. You cannot win at a high level if you don’t have any NFL caliber players.

Right now the only active roster defensive player in the NFL signed by Petrino is Jaire Alexander. 1 guy! And at this point it doesn’t appear that any of our Jr or Sr’s will play on Sundays. So in 4 recruiting classes it’s likely Petrino will have recruited one top shelf defensive player. You cannot win at a high level if you don’t have any NFL caliber players.
You missed the point. Bobby was known as a offensive minded coach but the premise he didn’t recruit defensive players is misleading. Greenhard was also recruited by Bobby. He may not have made a NFL roster but he was a good college football player. How many of Strong’s defensive players are on a NFL roster now?

A measure of just how few defensive players we have. Dezmond Tell a true freshman 6'0 266 started at NT in front of Goldwire yesterday. Goldwire is a JUCO SR 6'6 305 who many were expecting to be an impact player this year. Goldwire did have a good Friday but for all of his playing time has racked up 8 tackles all season, 5 of them yesterday. His problem, I think, as I have stated before, is he goes hard 1 play and takes the next 2 off.

We played a LOT of young guys on the D side yesterday, which tells me the staff is not pleased with d play by upper classmen.

You missed the point. Bobby was known as a offensive minded coach but the premise he didn’t recruit defensive players is misleading. Greenhard was also recruited by Bobby. He may not have made a NFL roster but he was a good college football player. How many of Strong’s defensive players are on a NFL roster now?

Petrino recruited defensive players because you have to field a defense. Defense was after thought.

As to your Strong question, off the top of my head Rankins, Dunn, Burgess, Preston Brown. Some others that I don’t think are still in the league are Marcus Smith and Keith Kelsey.

A measure of just how few defensive players we have. Dezmond Tell a true freshman 6'0 266 started at NT in front of Goldwire yesterday. Goldwire is a JUCO SR 6'6 305 who many were expecting to be an impact player this year. Goldwire did have a good Friday but for all of his playing time has racked up 8 tackles all season, 5 of them yesterday. His problem, I think, as I have stated before, is he goes hard 1 play and takes the next 2 off.

We played a LOT of young guys on the D side yesterday, which tells me the staff is not pleased with d play by upper classmen.
God help us if we’re playing a 3-4 defense and starting a 260 lb nose tackle, this year or next.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT