ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tyra is on the clock again. Lolla resigns.

Sorry that we’ve gotten away from the title of this post, but a couple of additional comments for Zipp…

The Crum departure was an unnecessary way to end a classy Hall of Famer’s career, with the bickering that went public for several months hardly being a shining example of navigating through a difficult coaching situation, with discussions that could have stayed behind the scenes, and which was salvaged by Shoemaker stepping in to negotiate financial terms and by Denny insisting that he was retiring on his own accord.

As for the specific handling of the Pitino departure, I think the timing (immediately after the FBI scandal broke) was appropriate, but it could well be that the contractual procedures weren’t followed well enough and if that costs extra money on our behalf, then I certainly don’t approve of the specific handling there.

As for basketball attendance, you are obviously citing “announced attendance” figures. (I now expect that I can now use those figures when proving that UofL has benefitted significantly from the new arena, something you denied earlier. An attendance increase of over 1,000 per game at the KFC Yum Center for seven years above the maximum capacity of Freedom Hall, plus approximately a tripling of the number of suites, has been responsible for a significant increase in revenue as a result of the move. More on that hopefully to come later, but thanks for allowing me to use announced attendance.) Excluding the 3 NIT games last year (which averaged over 11,000 in actual attendance, which amazed just about everyone), our attendance average was still FOURTH in the country. Yes, it was a noticeable drop and down to about 80% of capacity but nowhere near the 30% drop that I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

also measuring attendance before January is pointless. we never sellout before January except for the UK game.

Getting back to the original topic, looks like Tyra has his sights set on Akron's coach, Jared Embick. The Zips were 2018 national runner-up.

...As for basketball attendance, you are obviously citing “announced attendance” figures. (I now expect that I can now use those figures when proving that UofL has benefitted significantly from the new arena, something you denied earlier. An attendance increase of over 1,000 per game at the KFC Yum Center for seven years above the maximum capacity of Freedom Hall, plus approximately a tripling of the number of suites, has been responsible for a significant increase in revenue as a result of the move. More on that hopefully to come later, but thanks for allowing me to use announced attendance.) Excluding the 3 NIT games last year (which averaged over 11,000 in actual attendance, which amazed just about everyone), our attendance average was still FOURTH in the country. Yes, it was a noticeable drop and down to about 80% of capacity but nowhere near the 30% drop that I have seen mentioned elsewhere.
I've never said that tickets sold weren't relevant, because they in fact equate to revenue.

What I long said was actual attendance indicates weakness in fundamental demand--who actually wants to use the tickets. It's like buying a product and throwing it away. You're glad to sell it, but you're concerned in the long run about how people VALUE it.

And we're finding out the hard way when people come to terms whether they will continue to pay. They won't...

also measuring attendance before January is pointless. we never sellout before January except for the UK game.
Attendance doesn't change much during the season except for a couple of marquee games after the first of the year. That's not my opinion, it's what historical data show. If Mack goes undefeated from here out, that would obviously have an effect...

So far, our average attendance this year is gonna drop us outta the Top 10...

NOT manage athletics smaller, i.e., what a "numbers guy" does.

Grow the TOP line.

Take money from athletics to fund academics.

Gut all traces of the prior regime, incl. people and coaches.

That kinda stuff...
Grow the top line - but donating Does grow the top line. What do I get, as a booster, out if seeing a fat athletic dept bank balance? Don’t I want to see them win?
Take money from athletics to fund academics - yes, it would be a pity if academics, the very purpose if the institution, benefited in some way. The only way that happens is through the athletic department buying courses, books, other services from the university through tuition payments. How else does this happen? Athletics should be leveraged to stimulate alumni and donor gifts.
Gut all traces of the prior regime, including people and coaches - some of the gutting (Postel, Schnatter) is from the successor regime. However, this gets back to the old argument that people donated to Tom Jurich, not UofL or its administration, an argument I find just silly.

Doesn’t it make more sense that if people donate money, they expect it to be handled responsibly and disposed of for its intended purpose? Isn’t it possible that the big projects are done for now (thanks to TJ) and big donations don’t roll in to cover operating expenses? Big donors want to see their name in something, don’t they? What big project remains?

We got a new Soccer Coach.
John Hayden promoted from Assistant to Head Coach. Hayden played on 2 national championship teams at IU.

Congrats Coach Hayden.

We got a new Soccer Coach.
John Hayden promoted from Assistant to Head Coach. Hayden played on 2 national championship teams at IU.

Congrats Coach Hayden.
Once again, another solid hire by Tyra. Fans of UofL athletics, especially soccer fans, say "Thanks, well done".

LOL... Promoting an assistant constitutes a "solid hire"? That's not a low bar, that's no bar...
If he is qualified why does it matter where he came from? I have no clue and I doubt you do if this is a good hire or not. Truth be told only people in the soccer community would know if this is a reach or a good hire. If the poster saying it is a good hire is connected to soccer then i assume he knows more about his qualifications than you or me.

Now if you know this is not a solid hire please explain your position.

LOL... Promoting an assistant constitutes a "solid hire"? That's not a low bar, that's no bar...

I agree with Zipp on this. Thats just settling, not a solid hire. We have a highly ranked soccer team and are looking to replace one of the best coaches in the game. You dont just promote somebody unless you couldnt find a better coach.

Coach Hayden could end up being a solid coach but thats just rolling the dice and gambling on someone without a proven track record. For this position we should have landed a top notch experienced coach. I like Vince but I think he messed this one up.

Reactions: zipp
It might help if you guys follow soccer a bit. The John Michael Hayden hire is a hit, to put it mildly, with the soccer community, both locally as well as nationally, including with Lolla. His background as a player (high school All American at Trinity, 2 NCAA titles at IU, an MLS title), plus his coaching background including assisting Lolla for several years, and his role in the recruitment of virtually the entire team, make him well suited to be the coach. If you get to know him as a person, you would be sold. Jurich hired assistants and there was no complaint, why complain when Tyra does the same?

It's another guy that's getting his shot on a much bigger stage than the one he's performed on.

I think this was definitely settling for a cheaper “alternative” especially since it was rumored that we would interview the Akron coach. His resume is light years beyond promoting an assistant. Tyra needs to remember he is the AD for all sports...

Reactions: zipp and CardVille
It might help if you guys follow soccer a bit. The John Michael Hayden hire is a hit, to put it mildly, with the soccer community, both locally as well as nationally, including with Lolla. His background as a player (high school All American at Trinity, 2 NCAA titles at IU, an MLS title), plus his coaching background including assisting Lolla for several years, and his role in the recruitment of virtually the entire team, make him well suited to be the coach. If you get to know him as a person, you would be sold. Jurich hired assistants and there was no complaint, why complain when Tyra does the same?

I know nothing about soccer, I still say it is a commie, globalist plot to help take over America. But that is some great info on the soccer hire.

I think this was definitely settling for a cheaper “alternative” especially since it was rumored that we would interview the Akron coach. His resume is light years beyond promoting an assistant. Tyra needs to remember he is the AD for all sports...

Thats my point. Now if we did reach out to the Akron coach and he declined then I get it. But if we never even reached out to him, then thats a mistake. Your basically taking a solid soccer program and using it as a training ground.

And I am a soccer guy, coached the past 20 seasons at Club and HS level, follow EPL, go to LouCity games, etc. This does not make my opinion more relevant than anybody else's so not sure why it matters.

And as I am typing I am reminded that Ohio State just did that with their football program so maybe its a new trend.

The previous women's golf coach (Courtney Trimble) was on maternity leave last season, and the new coach (Whitney Wade Young) moved up as interim head coach during that period. Now, Trimble’s husband took a new job in Chicago, and she is going with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: chevelle99
...we are back to the old question, trust them (university leadership) to do WHAT?...
NOT manage athletics smaller, i.e., what a "numbers guy" does.

Grow the TOP line.

Take money from athletics to fund academics.

Gut all traces of the prior regime, incl. people and coaches.

That kinda stuff...
I can’t understand how you can support the prior leadership, beyond my imagination.

Just read that the woman’s golf coach is stepping down and being replaced with an assistant? What’s the deal with all the coaching changes?
I don't know enough about any of these situations individually to die on that hill. I simply don't believe in coincidences. Suddenly, we have assistant coaches who are qualified to serve as head coaches here immediately. At the same time, we have financial pressures. Those are coincidences.

I heard someone say a couple days ago that "Vince" has now replaced seven coaches. Not sure if that number includes Todd Sharp. That's happened in the last 15 months. Some like me were told to wait to see what would happen with coaches, that examples like McDonnell and Walz and contract extensions were reasons to be optimistic. So how's this stuff supposed to be viewed now?

I know how I DON'T see it...coincidence.

I think you've been sold a bill of goods on the prior leadership...
I agree the narrative on Jurich isn't truly reflective of his leadership which has always been the unfortunate piece of the saga. I believe the fanbase is in a weird place. The scandals just pissed everyone off because they were unecessary and exactly the opposite of what Jurich/University stood for or that is what we were told. That alone would shake even the strongest fans fandom. Then the guy that everyone trusted was let go in a fashion that shouldn't of occurred. Tie those two things together here we are.

I am surprised coaches are leaving no, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Waltz and McDonald go next year. They loved Jurich that isn't a small thing. I don't blame Vince, all he can do is support their programs which I think he has been doing.

I don't know enough about any of these situations individually to die on that hill. I simply don't believe in coincidences. Suddenly, we have assistant coaches who are qualified to serve as head coaches here immediately. At the same time, we have financial pressures. Those are coincidences.

I heard someone say a couple days ago that "Vince" has now replaced seven coaches. Not sure if that number includes Todd Sharp. That's happened in the last 15 months. Some like me were told to wait to see what would happen with coaches, that examples like McDonnell and Walz and contract extensions were reasons to be optimistic. So how's this stuff supposed to be viewed now?

I know how I DON'T see it...coincidence.

Well, I could be missing someone, but my count is six coaches “replaced” by Tyra, as follows:

(1) Pitino – Pitino was fired before Tyra took over, so I’m not sure this one should make this kind of list. In any case, I think most people agree that this replacement was necessary.
(2) Petrino – A performance-based firing. Hard to see how there could be much argument here.
(3) Kellie Young (Lacrosse) – Player abuse and a player revolt including mass transfers created a real dumpster fire. Tyra fired her almost immediately after taking over. Why did she last that long?
(4) Whitney Crabtree (Women’s Golf) – She took maternity leave for this past season and now leaves to join her husband as he moves to Chicago for a new job. Seems pretty normal.
(5) Sandy Pearsall (Softball) – Retired after 19 seasons as head coach to, as she put it, “focus on family and health”. Is it so hard to take her at her word? From what I saw after the games, she was as interested in her dogs as she was continuing to coach. I haven't noticed her take another coaching job, have you?
(6) Ken Lolla – OK, this one may well have something to do with Tyra succeeding Jurich. Lolla’s own words made it pretty clear that he was very close to Jurich. Maybe this is the one! In any case, I still say that Tyra made a great hire for a replacement in John Michael.

This list does not count Dani Busboom Kelly, who was probably Jurich’s last hire and has coached the Volleyball team for the past two seasons, and also does not count Todd Sharp, which is a whole other story. If I’ve missed any other recently “replaced” coaches, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: fredburgcard
Your boy Jurich once hired an assistant coach for an opening with our football program. Ole 1.0 worked out pretty good, didn’t it? I believe 41-9, correct? And, I bet money you’ve never been to a soccer game so why throw your dog in the fight? Oh yeah, to cut down Tyra. Gawd, I hope this new guy wins a title! But you’d just twist the story in your trump like fashion!

I wouldn’t bet against Zipp ever having been to a soccer game. He is retired, he’s been to baseball practices and trolls this site 24/7. You can’t grade papers from taco college or shove old ladies in the pool all the time.

Your boy Jurich once hired an assistant coach for an opening with our football program. Ole 1.0 worked out pretty good, didn’t it? I believe 41-9, correct? And, I bet money you’ve never been to a soccer game so why throw your dog in the fight? Oh yeah, to cut down Tyra. Gawd, I hope this new guy wins a title! But you’d just twist the story in your trump like fashion!
Name me the head coaches that Jurich promoted from within the ranks. It's happened, but rarely.

"Vince" did it twice in a week. I guess they were as qualified to be head coaches as he was to be AD...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT