ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tyra is on the clock again. Lolla resigns.

That one hurts, but some guys enjoys building a program more than maintaining a program.

Whatever you think of the job he has done, Tyra went from a guy happily drinking bourbon in his suite and doing a little fundraising to replacing a highly successful AD, basketball coach, football coach, and now a soccer coach all in a matter of months. You have to respect the amount work he has taken on and the amount of pressure and scrutiny he has been under.

Last edited:
I'm not a big believer in coincidences, and that isn't a characteristic I just picked up a year or two ago. In that time frame, we've lost the best soccer coach in U of L history, and almost lost his equal in baseball (and may still). Our third best-in-history coach in women's basketball coincidentally hired an agent after more than a decade in his coaching career here. He evidently didn't think he needed an agent previously.

And our money situation continues to spiral downward with no apparent end in sight that's not gonna involve serious, serious budget cuts.

To reiterate, I don't generally believe in coincidences. Also, as a bourbon drinker, that's all some of us are good at...

I'm not a big believer in coincidences, and that isn't a characteristic I just picked up a year or two ago. In that time frame, we've lost the best soccer coach in U of L history, and almost lost his equal in baseball (and may still). Our third best-in-history coach in women's basketball coincidentally hired an agent after more than a decade in his coaching career here. He evidently didn't think he needed an agent previously.

And our money situation continues to spiral downward with no apparent end in sight that's not gonna involve serious, serious budget cuts.

To reiterate, I don't generally believe in coincidences. Also, as a bourbon drinker, that's all some of us are good at...
is it a coincidence you are blind to the games Jurich was playing? Should have been called nepotism U with all of his and Petrino family on the payroll.

UofL was runner up in 2010, losing to Akron.
So close.

So close in Women's Basketball.

Close in Beisbol.

So close to winning the ACC Atlantic in 16'.

Sooooo close.

is it a coincidence you are blind to the games Jurich was playing? Should have been called nepotism U with all of his and Petrino family on the payroll.
True or not, I'm not sure how that's relevant to this discussion. These outstanding and long tenured coaches never gave a 2nd thought to leaving while Jurich was here. And money was never an issue either. More of those coincidences... ;)

Lolla wasnt about money. On 93.9 he indicated he was not sure if he was going to coach anymore, he might but thats not why he was leaving. I think he just got bored and is truly looking for something different. He did say he wants to stay in Louisville.

He also said that when TJ moved on, thats when he started thinking about it. Sounds like he was nearing the end anyway and when TJ "left" he figured he was ready too.

Lolla wasnt about money. On 93.9 he indicated he was not sure if he was going to coach anymore, he might but thats not why he was leaving. I think he just got bored and is truly looking for something different. He did say he wants to stay in Louisville.

He also said that when TJ moved on, thats when he started thinking about it. Sounds like he was nearing the end anyway and when TJ "left" he figured he was ready too.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him land at Louisville City FC in some capacity.

Reactions: CardMonarch
Just conjecture here ... amplifying CardX's post ... but I could see Lolla being a part of the advisory group that helps LouCity move up from USL to the Major League Soccer (MLS) level.

Per Wiki ... MLS currently sits at 23 teams, with a 24th scheduled to start in 2019 and two more expansion clubs planned to start in 2020....

Last edited:
Just conjecture here ... amplifying CardX's post ... but I could see Lolla being a part of the advisory group that helps LouCity move up from USL to the North American Soccer League (the second level of US Soccer), with an eye toward eventually competing at the Major League Soccer (MLS) level.

Per Wiki ... MLS currently sits at 23 teams, with a 24th scheduled to start in 2019 and two more expansion clubs planned to start in 2020....

USL is the second level.

With the onset of FC Cincinnati coming into the MLS in 2019 and Nashville in 2020 there will opportunities on the Development Academy level that would be a perfect fit for a coach with college experience, but Ken was very well compensated and I'm not sure even an MLS technical director would make the $350,000 annual he made at UofL.

One correction, Louisville FC being in the USL is not peer to NASL, at least not anymore. There was litigation from NASL against what I thought was either MLS or the US Soccer Federation because USL was being promoted at the expense of NASL. USL is the clear preferential league for MLS franchises, and you will start seeing the USL being something of a Developmental league for some MLS franchises just as Louisville was for Orlando FC, the Charleston Battery is/was for Atlanta and Galaxy II is for the LA Galaxy. If promotion/relegation is ever implemented in North America the value of being on the ground already in USL makes the ability to promote into MLS a very big deal for Louisville...because it isn't going to happen where an invitation is extended. That ship long ago has sailed.

I agree we Zipp on the money issue it is easy to hire good coaches with a big checkbook on hand. We aren't raising the same type of money we were under Jurich I don't know why you can't see that as a problem.

I agree we Zipp on the money issue it is easy to hire good coaches with a big checkbook on hand. We aren't raising the same type of money we were under Jurich I don't know why you can't see that as a problem.
Also notice that every replacement coach that "Vince" hires is making less money than his predecessor. He's not plucking great coaches in other really good jobs, and he's reducing his overall cost structure. That's the very thing you'd expect from a "numbers guy" who was hired by managers that wanted to "de-emphasize athletics".

To compound the issue, I'd argue--and already have--that he's overpaying the talent he's getting. Satterfield had his salary quadrupled. Mack with one Elite Eight is already paid 80% of what Pitino was making. Lolla's replacement will probably be overpaid for his qualifications, and those qualifications will be less than Lolla's. We're overpaying for less...

Also notice that every replacement coach that "Vince" hires is making less money than his predecessor. He's not plucking great coaches in other really good jobs, and he's reducing his overall cost structure. That's the very thing you'd expect from a "numbers guy" who was hired by managers that wanted to "de-emphasize athletics".

To compound the issue, I'd argue--and already have--that he's overpaying the talent he's getting. Satterfield had his salary quadrupled. Mack with one Elite Eight is already paid 80% of what Pitino was making. Lolla's replacement will probably be overpaid for his qualifications, and those qualifications will be less than Lolla's. We're overpaying for less...

Please! The only time we ever “underpaid for more” was when we hired Schnellenberger and a “damaged” Petrino in 2014.

Ron Cooper, John L Smith, Petrino, Kragthorpe, and Strong were all “overpaid for less” hires, and 3 of those 5 turned out great.

Reactions: fredburgcard

He offered Jeff Brohm $5 million. He more than tripled Satterfield’s salary. He is paying Mack $4 million and Mack is doing a hell of a job. He’s paying these replacements what they are worth. I would think over-paying for a coach is a bad thing. Right?

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3

And the "coincidence" of having 4 "rogue" coaches in our basketball program, each implicated in major NCAA violations, is something most people can't fathom. A new soccer coach will be hired shortly, and based on recent hires he/she will be a good one, but repairing the school's damaged reputation will take much longer.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

I’ve now heard you argue that we are variously paying too much, too little and market rate for coaches.

Reactions: CardMonarch
Please! The only time we ever “underpaid for more” was when we hired Schnellenberger and a “damaged” Petrino in 2014.

Ron Cooper, John L Smith, Petrino, Kragthorpe, and Strong were all “overpaid for less” hires, and 3 of those 5 turned out great.
I'd have to look at each case individually to say whether I agreed or not. But you're picking all football coaches and mostly before U of L was recruiting into a P5 conference. U of L's long been behind the 8-ball recruiting anyone into their football program. Of course, that should be changing.

AND let's not forget, Jurich had the track record of identifying good coaches for his programs. "Vince" has no similar track record, at least yet. Any scrutiny of his hires will be warranted unless and until that happens. If anyone doesn't think that's justified, that's the basis--no track record--on which he accepted the job...

He offered Jeff Brohm $5 million. He more than tripled Satterfield’s salary. He is paying Mack $4 million and Mack is doing a hell of a job. He’s paying these replacements what they are worth. I would think over-paying for a coach is a bad thing. Right?
Thanks for the Brohm example as well. He's overpaying what they're worth, but they're mostly worth less than their predecessors. A double whammy...

And the "coincidence" of having 4 "rogue" coaches in our basketball program, each implicated in major NCAA violations, is something most people can't fathom. A new soccer coach will be hired shortly, and based on recent hires he/she will be a good one, but repairing the school's damaged reputation will take much longer.
One word...excuses.

Thanks for the Brohm example as well. He's overpaying what they're worth, but they're mostly worth less than their predecessors. A double whammy...
Satterfield and Mack would have made those salaries at other P5 schools. Both were coveted coaches that would have been picked up by another P5 program in the following years had we not been the school to do it. They would make that money either way. Also, you think Bobby was paid appropriately after what happened to the program? His predecessor didn’t exactly kill it with contracts either.

Satterfield and Mack would have made those salaries at other P5 schools. Both were coveted coaches that would have been picked up by another P5 program in the following years had we not been the school to do it. They would make that money either way. Also, you think Bobby was paid appropriately after what happened to the program? His predecessor didn’t exactly kill it with contracts either.
Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Petrino's contract and anyone else's must be evaluated at the time it was signed, unless you have a crystal ball that I don't.

Haters notwithstanding, Jurich's track record speaks for itself...

Both Satterfield and Mack are being paid less than what Petrino and Pitino were making ... so it seems to me that they are being paid exactly what they are worth, based on their accomplishments to date.

Petrino's contract and anyone else's must be evaluated at the time it was signed, unless you have a crystal ball that I don't.

That is an understatement.

Jurich was a great AD. Not infallible.
Tyra has done a good job to date. Whether or not he can be as good as Tom is TBD. Tom had 20 years to build what he did. You didn’t even give Vince 20 days. And you undersell the fact that he did inherit an athletic department that was in horrible shape in the 2 major sports. MBB and football.

Fantastic AD, right up until the point that the FBI proved that his loyalty to Pitino was misplaced.

I agreed with keeping Pitino... but Jurich miscalculated badly when he attempted to defend Pitino’s indefensible lack of oversight of Andre McGee. If Pitino wasn’t willing to take the blame for his program, then Jurich should have accepted his retirement.

No coach or AD is bigger than the program.

Dang, Zipp is right, no top notch coach ever left UL while he was here except...John L Smith, CBP 1.0, Charlie Strong....come again? Jeff Walz was given everything he asked for, Dan McDonnell a raise as well. Man Vince sucks. But not as much as....

One word...excuses.

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear enough for you.

I’m not making any excuses here. Like you, I am also suspicious of “coincidences” that pile up pointing to a possible unfortunate conclusion. You pointed out coincidences that you think indicate some possible difficulties that Tyra is having with his coaches. There may or may not be truth in that conclusion; from my perspective, I don’t know enough to draw that conclusion or not.

But, the “coincidences” that I referenced (4 rogue coaches in the basketball program, each running afoul of NCAA regulations) are much more troubling for the university in the long-run. When I talk with people from around the country, it is clear that those coincidences have given the school a significant long-term black eye that will take a long time to subside, and that concerns me more than the possible loss of a coach or two. That black eye preceded Tyra.

Reactions: Cardhorn
Both Satterfield and Mack are being paid less than what Petrino and Pitino were making ... so it seems to me that they are being paid exactly what they are worth, based on their accomplishments to date.
Which misses an important point... Why are we recruiting coaches worth less than their predecessors?
Fantastic AD, right up until the point that the FBI proved that his loyalty to Pitino was misplaced.

I agreed with keeping Pitino... but Jurich miscalculated badly when he attempted to defend Pitino’s indefensible lack of oversight of Andre McGee. If Pitino wasn’t willing to take the blame for his program, then Jurich should have accepted his retirement.

No coach or AD is bigger than the program.
And all of that obvious in hindsight. Where was this wisdom and opinion in 2016? I don't recall it from you, other posters, Jurich nor his U of L superiors...

Last edited:
Jurich was a great AD. Not infallible.
Tyra has done a good job to date. Whether or not he can be as good as Tom is TBD. Tom had 20 years to build what he did. You didn’t even give Vince 20 days. And you undersell the fact that he did inherit an athletic department that was in horrible shape in the 2 major sports. MBB and football.
"Vince" inherited a helluva lot better athletic program than Jurich did. And "horrible" was not the condition of either program. That's over-exaggerating to set a low bar for the new guy...

Dang, Zipp is right, no top notch coach ever left UL while he was here except...John L Smith, CBP 1.0, Charlie Strong....come again? Jeff Walz was given everything he asked for, Dan McDonnell a raise as well. Man Vince sucks. But not as much as....
And where was the coincidence in those situations? Did they occur in the span of a year under a new AD?

Find me any employee who turns down a raise. Lolla didn't...

...the “coincidences” that I referenced (4 rogue coaches in the basketball program, each running afoul of NCAA regulations) are much more troubling for the university in the long-run. When I talk with people from around the country, it is clear that those coincidences have given the school a significant long-term black eye that will take a long time to subside, and that concerns me more than the possible loss of a coach or two. That black eye preceded Tyra.
How many of the people that you talk to "around the country" provide financial support to U of L? Any? I talk to plenty of people who do (provide that support or used to), and NONE of them mention anything about scandal or Pitino or Ramsey. They talk a lot about "Vince" and money and lack of attendance and further risk of losing good coaches.

I'm not saying my anecdotal evidence is any more than yours. I am saying that my sources are more relevant to U of L's future than yours...

Reactions: HoptownCat93
Jur
"Vince" inherited a helluva lot better athletic program than Jurich did. And "horrible" was not the condition of either program. That's over-exaggerating to set a low bar for the new guy...
He did inherit a very good athletic program, but the 2 revenue producing sports were a complete mess. At the end of the day we are talking about basketball and football because without them you don't have the resources to support the other programs.

I am not sure what you call horrible, but a program that was involved in 2 scandals that are widely considered unprecedented seems horrible to me. The only program to lose a banner, and I know that wasn't Jurich fault even though he hired the guy that told the to work with the NCAA.

Then a football program tanks and is the only P5 team to give up fifty in 5 or 6 games. Yeah, that program was in good hands too.

No matter how you spin it those 2 program are the face of Louisville athletics. He has hire the right guy in Mack, and Satterfiled appears to be a quality guy. Last I checked you want to buy low sell high. Seems like a good business decision and in the best interest of Louisville athletics.

Jurich was exactly what Louisville needed and Tyra might be exactly what Louisville needed time will tell.

How do we even know since one has not even coached his first game here yet and the other has coached only 9 games to date? The cake needs to bake to know how good its gonna taste when its done. (i.e. at least their first full season) Geez...this instant gratification society in sports of today is so frustrating. Very little if any patience or faith.

And to me it is premature to know how much they should be paid based on their performance at UofL to date. If they were being paid as much or more than their predecessors....that would stand out to me as a problem.....but being paid less.....is not a big deal until there is more data (W-L) record to go by. JMO.

And PUM, I agree with your take...just clarifying that it is other posters I disagree with and adding to your comment.

Reactions: PushupMan
ADVERTISEMENT