ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pruitt or Taggart? Who gets canned first?

i'd say tag. tenn has been a has been for decades. FSU was at the pinnacle for decades, i mean it's FSU. when was the last time tennessee was even relevant. fulmer's days?

Tennessee... After what they went through with Schiano... Where do they go from here? They've had so much chaos the past few years it's hard to imagine them wanting to quickly pull the trigger.

They're in the same boat as about 10 other schools that want to win big but can't seem to find the right coach.

My guess is FSU makes a move first but who they could get that's any good at this stage, I have no idea. Maybe go interim for the rest of the season and try to find someone in the off-season?

I think Pruitt for sure. I bet Fat Phil Fullmer appoints himself as the interim and given that they are already spending about 1B to ex coaches, says he’ll do it for no extra than the AD money he’s making.

I'd say Pruitt because he was quoted recently about the mass transfers from the program comparing it to the titanic. That being said, I could see both being fired after this season.

If Taggart was honest with FSU at the time of hire, they'll give him another year. Taggart's M.O. is he's no miracle worker. It's a process. If they give him time, FSU should be winning big in another year or two.

Actually watched the 1st Q of Tenn/BYU - at least the first 10 min of it. Tenn was fired up to play. They were playing pretty well I thought. BYU did pick up some gains in chunks though. It seems the days of Tenn having a playmaking front D line aren't what they used to be.

I wonder if talent in the TN area has dropped off, or if there are some other things working against that program that maybe we just aren't aware of.

Or maybe the hostesses were more important to that program that we all realized?

Tennessee is still paying Dooley and Sgt Carter. I don’t think they want to pay another coach to leave. I’d say Taggart will be gone after Louisville beats them in a couple weeks. ;)

The parallels between Tennessee Football and Indiana Basketball are uncanny. Once former proud programs, just mere shells of their former selves.

Taggert is dead man coaching. He would have gotten canned had they lost to LA-Monroe.

Pruitt will last till the season is over or with 2 games left.

Reactions: theycallmefrancis
Pruitt bought himself at least 3 more years at UT after beating the traditional college football powerhouse Kentucky Wildcats last fall.

So I’ll say Willie.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Still really early in the season but when fans stop coming the end is near. I think FSU could turn it around. It doesn’t look like TN will salvage their season. TN keeps losing players they may be forced to let him go.

The parallels between Tennessee Football and Indiana Basketball are uncanny. Once former proud programs, just mere shells of their former selves.

I think at the end of the day, college sports are all about coaching. Look at USC, they went 25 years between titles then dominated under an elite coach. Now back to mediocrity. Alabama was pretty bad between Stallings and Saban. FSU, Florida, and Miami all struggling without elite coaches. Texas, struggling. Michigan, struggling. The list goes on and on.

All of these programs including Tennessee can return to the top. It's just a matter of time until they find the right guy. There are usually only a handful of elite coaches at any given time, and all of the 30+ programs that want to be elite can't always have one of the best coaches. Texas would love to have Saban!

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I think it’s taggart. A poster on the other board said he had a friend who was contacted about contributing to his buyout.

Also, Willy Taggert has never won big anywhere except maybe WKU. He can get talent in droves but he can’t coach. That’s why teams improve after he leaves.

Actually watched the 1st Q of Tenn/BYU - at least the first 10 min of it. Tenn was fired up to play. They were playing pretty well I thought. BYU did pick up some gains in chunks though. It seems the days of Tenn having a playmaking front D line aren't what they used to be.

I wonder if talent in the TN area has dropped off, or if there are some other things working against that program that maybe we just aren't aware of.

Or maybe the hostesses were more important to that program that we all realized?

There are good players in the state of Tennessee, but many of the top recruits are signing with other programs. Case in point, Amari Rodgers and Tee Higgins of Clemson were in UT’s backyard and the Vols missed out on both. One of the top OL in the country coming out of high school in Knoxville, Cade Mayes, signed with Georgia. On a side note, his father was an All SEC player in the 90’s for UT. Another factor that has contributed to the Vols decline is the emergence of Clemson and Kirby Smart locking down Georgia. UT used to raid both states for top players in the 90’s.

FSU has financial issues and it would cost $17 million to get rid of him. He will get one more year

Charlie Strong?

CCS’s record with Teddy Bridgewater and Quentin Flowers : 40-11

Without those 2 QBs: 30-36

That kind of disingenuous considering his 1st seasons hear without Bridgewater were after Kragthorpe who cratered the program.

That kind of disingenuous considering his 1st seasons hear without Bridgewater were after Kragthorpe who cratered the program.
I don’t think so. Charlie went 7-6 his first year here. You could take that year out of the equation and you’d still have:

With Bridgewater and Flowers: 40-11

Without (minus the year after Krags): 23-30.

FWIW, I think CCS did a really good job here. Afterwards, not so much.

Bad coaching hires. It’s just that simple.

If you went by craziness of fan bases, I’d say Pruitt goes first. Been to both schools during game days as a visiting student and later in life, have extended family who are alumni of both schools. UT football fans are UK basketball fans in almost every way, only UT football hasn’t been very successful the last 20 years. Both fan bases think way to highly of their programs and are illogical about their teams in a way that is hard to understand for the common college team fan like Louisville and FSU fans. Louisville basketball and FSU football fans have very similar attitudes. They expect their teams to be quality but are not devastated every year when they don’t win the National championship. FSU is much more patient and realistic than in Knoxville.

Reactions: PHCARD
If you went by craziness of fan bases, I’d say Pruitt goes first. Been to both schools during game days as a visiting student and later in life, have extended family who are alumni of both schools. UT football fans are UK basketball fans in almost every way, only UT football hasn’t been very successful the last 20 years. Both fan bases think way to highly of their programs and are illogical about their teams in a way that is hard to understand for the common college team fan like Louisville and FSU fans. Louisville basketball and FSU football fans have very similar attitudes. They expect their teams to be quality but are not devastated every year when they don’t win the National championship. FSU is much more patient and realistic than in Knoxville.

“FSU is much more patient and realistic than in Knoxville” and that’s a mouth full. You are, of course, correct but FSU fans are also very willing to “overestimate” their football prowess. This is exactly why they are in the position they find themselves in. Jimbo left because they just couldn’t understand that they ARE NOT Alabama. They aren’t even Clemson either. For the life of me I cannot understand the selection of Willie Taggart as their coach simply based on past performance. Maybe he is a great recruiter but that hasn’t come to fruition either in any place he’s ever been including FSU.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: PHCARD
Not real sure if either program can fire another coach. I think UT is paying off two football coaches, a basketball coach and either one or two former ADs. Seems like FSU gave a Kings ransom buyout clause to coach Taggert.

I have been a Taggart fan since 2012 when he went for two instead of kicking a game tying extra point to lead WKU past Kentucky at commonwealth. I believe that was the game someone videoed one of the WKU players saying " they supposed to be SEC.

Reactions: Louisvillian
In looking at their schedules, they both will most likely be sitting at 1 or 2 wins at the midway point. I dont see either one making it, but I will go with Pruitt, bc god love him he has GA and Bama over a 3 week span. OUCH!

Charlie Strong will get the axe before either of them.

Possible. Although the USF AD has about as much authority as gas being passed in a wind storm. This is a major issue for USF athletics. Plus their on campus athletic facilities suck.

I’m glad others have money problems too. Might be what happens when you FARRRR because the inmates are running the asylum. These contracts need to be whoa-ed.

Almost every major P5 program in the USA has money problems. They all have sports that under achieve like Clemson in basketball. You can throw Alabama into that pile also. We could go on and on with this but that would be fruitless.

My limited understanding is that winning football and basketball programs are supposed to encourage donors to donate more money on the back end. I have no idea if it all balances out in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT