ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Muhammad Ali has died, aged 74

I was there in the metal bleachers.

The place was literally shaking.

Tennessee fans were cheering.

Even Howard stopped and stared. For a moment. ;)

Last year vs. Clemson the Ali chant brought cold chills. Very glad my son had a chance to experience a little of what Ali did to people.

They announced the Funeral will be Friday @ The KFC Yum Center @ 2pm...precession will take place on Broadway and Muhammad Ali Blvd and final resting place is Cave Hill Cemetary..

Truly a remarkable man. Being a native of the Louisville area he made me proud of how he carried himself through adversity. When he was chosen to light the 1996 Olympic Torch here in Atlanta, it proved to all that he was for all people.

RIP homeboy.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I can remember growing up watching his fights on TV. I remember in 71 when he lost to Smoking Joe, breaking down in tears.

Truly a remarkable man. Being a native of the Louisville area he made me proud of how he carried himself through adversity. When he was chosen to light the 1996 Olympic Torch here in Atlanta, it proved to all that he was for all people.

RIP homeboy.
My daughter was living in Atlanta at the time and attended the opening ceremony. She described the feeling as electric. She told me she then realized it wasn't just her father who loved and appreciated the man, but the whole world.

I was serving America while he boxed, so I have mixed emotions about him. I have friends that died for freedom! So it is hard for me to think of him as a roll model or a hero! Those men and women, who died in defense of the American people are my idea of heroes!

Last edited:
Reactions: The Public Enemy
I was serving America while he boxed, so I have mixed emotions about him. I have friends that died for freedom! So it is hard for me to think of him as a roll model or a hero!

I'm a 8 year Army Veteran...my Father is a 26 Year CSM Retired Army Veteran and had multiple tours to Vietnam as with two of my mother brothers-(Uncles) also Retired Army and Vietnam Veterans, one is a Retired 30 year CSM and the other is a Retired SFC. To a man they adored Muhammad Ali.

My take is this...unlike those that went to Canada, got a IMO "Bogus Deferrment", burned their Draft Cards, burned the Flag he faced the judicial system...was convicted but won his appeal. In the process he gave up the Heavyweight Title and millions of dollars....how many would have done that.

Later in life he became a great humanitarian...remember right before the Gulf War he secured the release of 15 American Hostages...spent a week in Iraq....ran out of his Parkinson medication during the process

I was serving America while he boxed, so I have mixed emotions about him. I have friends that died for freedom! So it is hard for me to think of him as a roll model or a hero! Those men and women, who died in defense of the American people are my idea of heroes!
I'm a Veteran too so I 100% understand where you're coming from.

With that said, Ali did show courage by standing up for his religious beliefs. Men were drafted went to war and some died so while it's not the same level of courage, I think we can all look back now and realize Ali ended up losing by not serving his country including close to 4 years of boxing when he was banned from the sport. He didn't fight in the war, but he did put himself in harms way by NOT going. Lots of people hated him for it. He had a lot of death threats. My Dad despised Ali because he refused to serve his country and he never changed his mind. He took that hatred for him to his grave.

I volunteered to serve my country and I'm glad I did. I survived war, went to college, and ended up with a solid career in Information Technology. 8 more years and I'll be retiring. Courageous? IDK? I don't think it was as courageous as what Ali did in the mid 60's. It was a different time back then. That's for sure and Ali helped change this country and the world.

I like looking back on the positive things the man did in his life instead of focusing on the controversial. Not many people know this but he once talked a man down from a ledge and kept him from committing suicide. He talked the man back in the bldg, and went to the hospital with him. That tells me he was a compassionate man. He gave back a lot and helped a lot of people all over the country. He has my respect.

Rest in Peace Champ. Rest in Peace.

I do not hate him. I have forgiven him through Christ , but he could have served in the Army while keeping his conscious objector status. He could have been a Chaplain's assistant or a medic, or put on boxing exhibitions for our troops. In Conclusion; Joe Lewis did this and was he was beloved by all the GI's. I Do agree that Ali mellowed with age, but the fact is he made a bad impression to many. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I can argue the Ali/Draft either way with equal vigor.

But Ali proved over the years that his religious beliefs were not just to dodge the draft.

As mentioned, he suffered more bad publicity and personal financial loss, than 99.99% of people would have if placed in the same position.

Time showed him to be a man of conviction, even with those huge personal losses.

I have to respect that.

I gave him as sincere rounds of applause as anyone whenever he made an appearance.

I do not hate him. I have forgiven him through Christ , but he could have served in the Army while keeping his conscious objector status. He could have been a Chaplain's assistant or a medic, or put on boxing exhibitions for our troops. In Conclusion; Joe Lewis did this and was he was beloved by all the GI's. I Do agree that Ali mellowed with age, but the fact is he made a bad impression to many. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Well said Wilkie and I completely understand where you are coming from

Reactions: wilkie01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT