ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big 12 Expanding?

MDCardsFan

500+
Sep 21, 2015
I've been hearing the last week or so that the Big 12 is once again considering adding more teams to the conference. Do you all think they actually will? One of the teams they're considering is Cincy.

I laugh all the time whenever I hear or read about how the Big 12 commish is still angry over the fact they didn't add us when they had the chance. I MUCH prefer being in the ACC instead!!

Reactions: American Male
AMEN brother. You are preaching to the choir.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Texas schools will likely balk at the idea, and the conference can virtually guarantee a position of being outside the top 4 every other year...I just chuckle a bit every time I think of WVU, they must feel like complete idiots.

I've been hearing the last week or so that the Big 12 is once again considering adding more teams to the conference. Do you all think they actually will? One of the teams they're considering is Cincy.

I laugh all the time whenever I hear or read about how the Big 12 commish is still angry over the fact they didn't add us when they had the chance. I MUCH prefer being in the ACC instead!!
There are so many variables, that we do not have access to, to what should have been and was considered. Also there are different points of view. Louisville would have been very happy in the Big 12. But we missed that train and were fortunate to catch the "last one" out of the station. The Big 12 is in a more difficult position now than the ACC. But honestly they do have more options as a conference, going forward, because they are smaller. One can look at this in many ways. I think Louisville (JR/TJ) worked very hard for YEARS to position the University and Program to become lucky. We are going to be about the 18th or 19th ranked college athletics program, in terms of total revenue, when it all settles out. If we were in the SEC or Big Ten, we would be about the 11th or 12th ranked revenue Program. We are all so fortunate. Great Leadership and Strategy and Hard Work and a Little Luck.

Playing Florida State, Clemson and Virginia (as well as Notre Dame - every three years - and even Syracuse) so often is such a wonderful luxury. We get to regularly test ourselves against some other traditionally good teams, often.

All Driveable and All Pretty Good Teams.

Who could have imagined??!!

There are so many variables, that we do not have access to, to what should have been and was considered. Also there are different points of view. Louisville would have been very happy in the Big 12. But we missed that train and were fortunate to catch the "last one" out of the station. The Big 12 is in a more difficult position now than the ACC. But honestly they do have more options as a conference, going forward, because they are smaller. One can look at this in many ways. I think Louisville (JR/TJ) worked very hard for YEARS to position the University and Program to become lucky. We are going to be about the 18th or 19th ranked college athletics program, in terms of total revenue, when it all settles out. If we were in the SEC or Big Ten, we would be about the 11th or 12th ranked revenue Program. We are all so fortunate. Great Leadership and Strategy and Hard Work and a Little Luck.

Playing Florida State, Clemson and Virginia (as well as Notre Dame - every three years - and even Syracuse) so often is such a wonderful luxury. We get to regularly test ourselves against some other traditionally good teams, often.

Like or dislike Notre Dame, it is a BIG deal whenever a team gets to play them, and BEATING them @ there stadium just makes it even sweeter. :D

Plus ND has to come here ever so often. Sweet!

There was a long article in the Cincinnati Enquirer this week on UC's chances of a Big 12 invite. They noted that 8 of the 10 schools have to go along with the expansion. Texas is adamantly opposed to it and will likely force TCU and Texas Tech to go along with them in the vote. Apparently Texas has so much clout in the Texas legislature that they can control the votes of the other Texas schools in the Big 12. Probably why Texas A&M jumped at the first chance to go to the SEC.

Texas' overbearance is also one of the major reasons that Colorado and Nebraska left for greener pastures. Not to mention Missouri. The Longhorns will sink that conference with their selfishness.

Reactions: Guardman
There was a long article in the Cincinnati Enquirer this week on UC's chances of a Big 12 invite. They noted that 8 of the 10 schools have to go along with the expansion. Texas is adamantly opposed to it and will likely force TCU and Texas Tech to go along with them in the vote. Apparently Texas has so much clout in the Texas legislature that they can control the votes of the other Texas schools in the Big 12. Probably why Texas A&M jumped at the first chance to go to the SEC.

Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska say "Hi" too...That's FIVE Teams that were once associated with TEX-@$$ that now want NOTHING to do with them!!!

I HATE to say it...BUT...The ACC WILL throw TEX-@$$ a life-line to get to 16...The LHN becomes the ACC Network...And Louisville will end up in the same Pod with The Horns, Virginia and Virginia Tech!!!

BC, Notre Dame, Pitt and Syracuse in the same Pod...

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami and North Carolina in the same Pod...

Clemson, FSU, N.C. State and Wake in the same Pod...

Playing TEX-@$$ and Virginia Tech every year would have its advantages...Then lets say our Permanant Cross Pod Rivals were Clemson, Georgia Tech and Pitt...WELL...Rotating FSU, Miami and Notre Dame every 3 years...Things ARE looking pretty good!!!

You lready know that FSU and Miami, and Notre Dame and Texas would be Permanant Cross Pod Rivals, as would UCN and N.C. State...Not to bad!!!

That's how I see things playing out.

:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
American Male Tex-@$$ would go major independent before what you suggest happens. Or the Big Ten would come calling.

Texas just might keep flexing their muscle until ALL the P5 conferences realize they don't play nice, and don't want them.

Definitely could happen.

I just don't see the 16 team supper conferences happening...I think the landscape will change regarding expansion of the playoff to 8 prior to that kind of conference shake up; which opens up more slots and then we'll have some stability.

I just don't see the 16 team supper conferences happening...I think the landscape will change regarding expansion of the playoff to 8 prior to that kind of conference shake up; which opens up more slots and then we'll have some stability.

What SHOULD happen is the creation/morphing of the conferences into 8 divisions of 9 teams each, divided into 4 total conferences. But of course that's too symmetric and perfect to work.

SEC would have 2 divisions comprised of 9 teams each. They would play a Championship game and the winner of the Conference would be in the CFP.

BIG TEN would be the same in all respects as the SEC, and their winner would be in the CFP..

ACC would be the same in all respects as the SEC and BIG TEN, and their winner would be in the CFP..

Big 12 would no longer exist, as we know it.

PAC would no longer exist, as we know it.

18 Remaining Members of PAC, Big 12 and other teams would then constitute a new Conference organized the same way in all respects as the SEC and BIG TEN and ACC.

Notre Dame and BYU and Army could play for the CFP Championship if they were a full FB member of these four major conferences. Otherwise they could only play in invitational "bowls".

All the Conferences would be mandated to have all their respective members play all other members of their division on a complete round-robin basis annually. Each member would also be required to play a fully-rotating 2 members of the opposite division.

But again, it's all too perfect.

There would be 72 teams altogether. Four (4) Conferences of 18 teams each, Each Conference comprised of Two Divisions.

The teams could be recognized as NCAA-compliant/semi-pro-amateur.

In Basketball, they could play a perfect double round robin. Or they could play every other Conference team once, and one designated opponent twice.

The "winners" in this new athletic/academic alliance, would be the networks, and all teams except Notre Dame. And the Athletes. "Losers" would be considered to be any of those who were not admitted as one of the 72 teams.

American Male Tex-@$$ would go major independent before what you suggest happens. Or the Big Ten would come calling.

The days coming when BYU, Notre Dame and TEX-@$$ are told by the others that if you want to play with us, it WILL be this way...You MUST be in a conference...You will NOT have your own TV Deal...You Will agree to EQUAL Revenue Sharing...SHOULD have happened 25+ years ago!!!

Let them go to the BIG...Then they can see what it's like to be on an island like West Virginia is now!!!

What SHOULD happen is the creation/morphing of the conferences into 8 divisions of 9 teams each, divided into 4 total conferences. But of course that's too symmetric and perfect to work.

SEC would have 2 divisions comprised of 9 teams each. They would play a Championship game and the winner of the Conference would be in the CFP.

BIG TEN would be the same in all respects as the SEC, and their winner would be in the CFP..

ACC would be the same in all respects as the SEC and BIG TEN, and their winner would be in the CFP..

18 Remaining Members of PAC, Big 12 and other teams would then constitute a new Conference organized the same way in all respects as the SEC and BIG TEN and ACC.

Notre Dame and BYU and Army could play for the CFP Championship if they were a full FB member of these four major conferences. Otherwise they could only play in invitational "bowls".

All the Conferences would be mandated to have all their respective members play all other members of their division on a complete round-robin basis annually. Each member would also be required to play a fully-rotating 2 members of the opposite division.

There would be 72 teams altogether. Four (4) Conferences of 18 teams each, Each Conference comprised of Two Divisions.

In Basketball, they could play a perfect double round robin. Or they could play every other Conference team once, and one designated opponent twice.

The "winners" in this new athletic/academic alliance, would be the networks, and all teams except Notre Dame. And the Athletes. "Losers" would be considered to be any of those who were not admitted as one of the 72 teams.

That's quite a vision, not sure how it could be semi-pro and NCAA compliant, this would probably require the existence of a new administrative entity...and completely locking out any of the non P4 (in this case) would be a huge obstacle (in my view)...you are right, that ain't gonna happen...it's a cool idea though.

I think the Big12 (Texas schools) will hold off on expansion in hopes of expanding the playoff...with penalties for leaving the conference so extreme, the current configuration will last at least that long. Unless TTech or TCU decide to give in to the wishes of the rest of the conference, I just don't see why they would do that.

If there was ever a time for Texas and the Big XII to part company, it may be now. Their relationship with fellow conference members has probably never been worse along with their standing in football. From an outsider's perspective, the Big XII would go forward with three new teams and without a hiccup. And if the separation is amicable, maybe no money changes hands as penalties or exit fees.

How that would affect the Big XII media contracts is something I don't know. Depending on who joins, the conference would argue there was a net gain by trading 3-for-1.

The incentive for Texas could be the deal that ND has with the ACC. I could see the ACC offering Texas a similar arrangement, full membership in every sport except football and five games against ACC teams each year. That's ten games with ND or Texas each season for the 14 ACC teams, or roughly two of those games every three years. ...Which should also improve the ACC's bowl opportunities although Texas and ND would share in those.

What those affiliations do is build relationships with two storied football programs that could be made complete if they someday have to join a conference in order to compete for a national championship. IMO that's a chance worth taking...

What we should have is Eight 10 Team Regional Conferences...I've already laid out the plan for it in several post, both here and on the National Board...Makes too much sense though!!!

What we should have is Eight 10 Team Regional Conferences...I've already laid out the plan for it in several post, both here and on the National Board...Makes too much sense though!!!

American, your idea is fantastic. But 9-team divisions (vs 10) are mathematically superior. However perfection or semi-perfection just can't work because of imperfect agendas.

You can't lose Texas. You won't get the same TV contract. The networks simply won't look at Texas-for 2/3-mid-majors as an even swap. This is proven by what happened to the Big East.

You can't lose Texas. You won't get the same TV contract. The networks simply won't look at Texas-for 2/3-mid-majors as an even swap. This is proven by what happened to the Big East.
I didn't say that would work, I said that's what the Big XII would argue.

The conference media contract gives up eight (or nine) games featuring Texas in exchange for 24-27 games with other teams. It also picks up the content with all of the teams that equates to what Texas now keeps with the LHN.

How that shakes out financially may simply be what the Big XII has to accept by cutting Texas free...

Last edited:
Texas isn't leaving in fact they're working on a Reform with OU to roll the LHN into a B12N and extend the GORs. That would allow the Big 12 to likely sit comfortably 3rd financially behind the SEC and B1G and ahead of the Pac-12 and networkless ACC. Definitely prefer this Big 12 over the ACC. If this occurs, and Texas does not want to leave the Big 12 and OU and vice versa, being in the Big 12 would be nearly on par as being in the SEC and B1G. The ACC will fall insanely behind financially and there won't be a network for at least a decade since ESPN does not own a chunk of the Tier 3 rights required to start up a network.

Texas schools will likely balk at the idea, and the conference can virtually guarantee a position of being outside the top 4 every other year...I just chuckle a bit every time I think of WVU, they must feel like complete idiots.

Actually WVU may end up making out far better than you realize.

That is not true. Texas is not adamantly against expansion they're just suspicious. And they DO NOT have the legislation to control other Texas school's votes.

That is not true. Texas is not adamantly against expansion they're just suspicious. And they DO NOT have the legislation to control other Texas school's votes.

Your rants against the ACC "paints" you as ignorant, as in a uahkay fan. Please just go away until you actually learn something worthwhile.

I didn't say that would work, I said that's what the Big XII would argue.

The conference media contract gives up eight (or nine) games featuring Texas in exchange for 24-27 games with other teams. It also picks up the content with all of the teams that equates to what Texas now keeps with the LHN.

How that shakes out financially may simply be what the Big XII has to accept by cutting Texas free...

That's not how it works. Let's assume that Texas leaves, and three new teams come in to get to 12. That's a net of 9 extra conference games (assuming they keep a 9 game schedule). That's also a net of 6 non-conference games. That's a total net of 15 overall games.

The content Texas has in the LHN is minimal. They only have 1 football game signed to the LHN and 5 or 6 basketball games. The rest of it is non-revenue content like volleyball or soccer. However, they lose that content anyway, since it all belongs to Texas, so there is nothing new that would be freed up from the LHN.

Texas isn't leaving in fact they're working on a Reform with OU to roll the LHN into a B12N and extend the GORs. That would allow the Big 12 to likely sit comfortably 3rd financially behind the SEC and B1G and ahead of the Pac-12 and networkless ACC. Definitely prefer this Big 12 over the ACC. If this occurs, and Texas does not want to leave the Big 12 and OU and vice versa, being in the Big 12 would be nearly on par as being in the SEC and B1G. The ACC will fall insanely behind financially and there won't be a network for at least a decade since ESPN does not own a chunk of the Tier 3 rights required to start up a network.

Texas isn't working on rolling the LHN into a Big 12 network. Texas is pressuring Texas Tech and TCU to vote against expansion. (In addition, TCU's athletic direct said over the summer that he prefers to stay at 10 teams.)
http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...horns-big-12-expansion-conference-realignment

It's funny every year in football and basketball all the talking heads and certain fan bases talk about what conferences are the best. Unfortunately they are always proven wrong in the Bowl games and the NCAA playoffs. Remember this year in basketball the Big 12 was supposed to be the best conference in the country. Last year the B1G was supposed to be the favorite and in both cases it turned out to be the ACC.
The same goes for football the Big 12 has been irrelevant the past couple of years. I admit they have the schools to make some noise but so does the ACC. I think the only sport the Big 12 can compete with the ACC in is football.

That's not how it works. Let's assume that Texas leaves, and three new teams come in to get to 12. That's a net of 9 extra conference games (assuming they keep a 9 game schedule). That's also a net of 6 non-conference games. That's a total net of 15 overall games.

The content Texas has in the LHN is minimal. They only have 1 football game signed to the LHN and 5 or 6 basketball games. The rest of it is non-revenue content like volleyball or soccer. However, they lose that content anyway, since it all belongs to Texas, so there is nothing new that would be freed up from the LHN.

Texas isn't working on rolling the LHN into a Big 12 network. Texas is pressuring Texas Tech and TCU to vote against expansion. (In addition, TCU's athletic direct said over the summer that he prefers to stay at 10 teams.)
http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...horns-big-12-expansion-conference-realignment

Exactly....newbie has no clue...Texas is not giving up that $15 Million they get alone from ESPN for the LHN...

Texas is pi$$ing up a rope fighting Big XII expansion. There will be expansion, the only questions are when, who's involved, and on what terms. The conference will eventually implode if 2-3 schools led by Texas try to fight it.

And it will be a cluster____ trying to get Texas or the conference to pay the other in the event of the Horns' exit. Short of expansion, the best and easiest path will be for Texas to depart without cost and to chart its own course.

The Big XII has too many strikes against it already. It's dominated by 1 or 2 teams, it's caught between the east and west coasts, and it's not concentrated in large population centers. It's going to struggle even if all of its teams are pulling in the same direction...

Big 12 expansion isn't a certainty. Far from it. It's already been reported from their meeting in Phoenix that the financial gains from expansion would be minimal at best. Maybe at the spring meeting something changes, but that's the report right now (which makes sense considering the teams available). Adding Cincinnati and UConn doesn't solve any problems.

Big 12 expansion isn't a certainty. Far from it. It's already been reported from their meeting in Phoenix that the financial gains from expansion would be minimal at best. Maybe at the spring meeting something changes, but that's the report right now (which makes sense considering the teams available). Adding Cincinnati and UConn doesn't solve any problems.

Adding two teams is a Temporary Band-Aid for the Big-12...They NEED to add at least four teams to prevent the PAC and BIG from Raiding them...I'd add 6 teams...Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Memphis and Northern Illinois...That covers Recruiting and Major Metro TV Markets...And BUILDS a bridge to West Virginia!!!

The PAC has NOWHERE to go Except East...And that's the Midwest for Big-12 teams...You KNOW they DON'T want ANY MWC Teams or BYU.

Getting to 14/16 teams helps prevent overtures from the BIG as well for teams like Kansas and Oklahoma...And the BIG, Big-12 and SEC, are NOT getting Clemson, FSU, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, North Carolina and Virginia...So that ties their hands as well!!!

Time for them DUMB@$$@$ to be Pro Active and NOT Reactive...Else they'll SUFFER the SAME Death The Big East DIED!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
Actually WVU may end up making out far better than you realize.
I'm not certain of what the future holds, but as of now and including recent history WVU has suffered with this move; especially in light of the ACC reshuffle...where as we (not sure if that includes you) have shined.

Regarding network profits, with the ever changing landscape that is sports broadcasting...predicting anything seems to be a fools game.

Adding two teams is a Temporary Band-Aid for the Big-12...They NEED to add at least four teams to prevent the PAC and BIG from Raiding them...I'd add 6 teams...Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Memphis and Northern Illinois...That covers Recruiting and Major Metro TV Markets...And BUILDS a bridge to West Virginia!!!

The PAC has NOWHERE to go Except East...And that's the Midwest for Big-12 teams...You KNOW they DON'T want ANY MWC Teams or BYU.

Getting to 14/16 teams helps prevent overtures from the BIG as well for teams like Kansas and Oklahoma...And the BIG, Big-12 and SEC, are NOT getting Clemson, FSU, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, North Carolina and Virginia...So that ties their hands as well!!!

Time for them DUMB@$$@$ to be Pro Active and NOT Reactive...Else they'll SUFFER the SAME Death The Big East DIED!!!

Sounds reasonable.....except I would go with South Florida vs East Carolina......Tampa area and already established rivalry with UCF are the reasons USF gets the nod from me. Could be a toss up taking either UNI or ECU though. Pros and cons for taking either one. If not UConn, then raid Temple from the AAC for the East Coast and Philly market area and the heck with the Conn victs.

The B12 should look really hard at making inroads into the coveted Florida area for recruiting and exposure purposes IMO by going after both UCF and USF.

There is one fundamental problem though. The Big 12's TV contract is not set up like everyone else's. The Big 12 has an expansion clause in is contract. Per the clause, the Big 12 only gets a "pro rata" increase for expanding. If the Big 12 expands, the contract only goes up enough to cover the cost of the new teams. In other words, the contract only goes up enough so that the schools get the same payout as they did before. Adding more teams really isn't worth it if you only get the same payout as you did before.

It really doesn't matter if the Big XII decides on its own not to expand. If external pressures require it, there will be expansion. Kinda like Notre Dame joining a conference. When everyone else at the table says there must be change, change is inevitable. As a wise and famous guy once said, "the only variable is time".

And it doesn't sound like everyone in the Big XII is on the same page anyway. Far from it...

It really doesn't matter if the Big XII decides on its own not to expand. If external pressures require it, there will be expansion. Kinda like Notre Dame joining a conference. When everyone else at the table says there must be change, change is inevitable. As a wise and famous guy once said, "the only variable is time".

And it doesn't sound like everyone in the Big XII is on the same page anyway. Far from it...

You don't get what I'm saying. Expansion only happens if it solves the problems caused by "external pressure." For example, the main reason the Big 12 is looking to expand is money. They are concerned about the financial gap between them and the SEC/Big Ten. The financial gap is the external pressure. However, that external pressure will only cause action that mitigates the financial gap, as I said. There is no external pressure to expand if that expansion doesn't bring about more money.

Let's take your Notre Dame example. Let's say Notre Dame finds out NBC won't pay more money, so they have to join a conference to pull even with the other school. Ok, well that "external pressure" to join a conference doesn't mean Notre Dame will join the MAC. In the same way, there isn't going to be any external pressure on the Big 12 to take Cincinnati and UConn. External pressure could force them to take Florida St and Georgia Tech (assuming that was possible), but not Cincinnati and UConn.

There is one fundamental problem though. The Big 12's TV contract is not set up like everyone else's. The Big 12 has an expansion clause in is contract. Per the clause, the Big 12 only gets a "pro rata" increase for expanding. If the Big 12 expands, the contract only goes up enough to cover the cost of the new teams. In other words, the contract only goes up enough so that the schools get the same payout as they did before. Adding more teams really isn't worth it if you only get the same payout as you did before.

Except your'e NOT just adding teams to add teams...You're adding SEVERAL New Major TV Markets...Thus you RENEGOIATE the TV Contract to reflect the POSITIVE Change for the Conference and the Network!!!

Except your'e NOT just adding teams to add teams...You're adding SEVERAL New Major TV Markets...Thus you RENEGOIATE the TV Contract to reflect the POSITIVE Change for the Conference and the Network!!!

No, see that's what you don't get. The Big 12 doesn't get to renegotiate its contract. That's the whole problem.

Sounds reasonable.....except I would go with South Florida vs East Carolina......Tampa area and already established rivalry with UCF are the reasons USF gets the nod from me. Could be a toss up taking either UNI or ECU though. Pros and cons for taking either one. If not UConn, then raid Temple from the AAC for the East Coast and Philly market area and the heck with the Conn victs.

The B12 should look really hard at making inroads into the coveted Florida area for recruiting and exposure purposes IMO by going after both UCF and USF.

I could see adding South Florida and Temple, and leaving Connecticut and Northern Illinois for The BIG!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT