ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best fish sandwich in Louisville?

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
It's got to be Passtime, right? Sure, the place is a dive, but that's part of the charm. That fish is so damn good. I know Mike Linnigs tugs at the heart strings for a lot of you old timers, but if you haven't tried Passtime, it will win you over.

Pasttime is good but there are several places that have good fish. Cunningham’s on the Creek and Checks both come to mind. I’ll take any of them. Some people like the Fishery in St. Matthews also.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

My vote is the fish at The Irish Rover.

Hmmmmm never had their fish. I’ll have to try it some time. Louisville is unique when it comes to fish sandwiches and a lot of folks credit the Catholic population here for that. Back when Catholics had to eat fish on Friday all year long a lot of places zeroed in on having good fish and the tradition has carried on.

I’ve heard good things about Moby Dick, but that’s if you’re into the greasy spoon sort of thing.

Reactions: nccardfan
Pasttime! I’ve had Cunningham’s and it’s good, but Pasttime’s is better IMO.

I’ll cast a vote for the Fish House (Barret Ave. and Winter) also. There are so many choices here for a good fried fish sandwich here in Louisville.

Suburban Social Club on 3rd street on rye with the sweet onions, Louisiana hot sauce and tartar for me but I’m partial to the ‘Green River Style’ which is also how the Fish House does it.

If you like batter dipped or heavier coatings you’ll go elsewhere.

Anybody try ‘Hill Street Fish Fry’?

OK guys just where is O’bryan’s Tavern? Thanks in advance.

Just curious. Have you been to Pasttime?

Oh yes. The owner is a former golf pro (assistant) at Long Run Golf Club. I’ve known him for many years.

Suburban Social Club on 3rd street on rye with the sweet onions, Louisiana hot sauce and tartar for me but I’m partial to the ‘Green River Style’ which is also how the Fish House does it.

If you like batter dipped or heavier coatings you’ll go elsewhere.

Anybody try ‘Hill Street Fish Fry’?
Never had that combination but it sounds delicious. You guys are making me hungry. I’ll have to check it out next time I am in town.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Through this thread I’ve come to the conclusion that the best fish sandwich in Louisville is a “geographical” situation and requirement. I live in St. Matthews and I ain’t gonna drive all the way to Mike Lennings just as someone that lives in PRP probably ain’t gonna drive to Cunningham’s in Harrod’s Creek. So there you have it. I like ML’s fish but I also like Cunningham’s and it’s one helluva lot closer and with the price of gas being what it is . . . . . . Check’s is ok for me as is PassTime or the FishHouse.

Surprised to not see The Fishery mentioned. That's a pretty good sandwich, too.

Yes they do have a good sandwich but me thinks they are a little too “proud” of their product.

Chec's 1
Chec's 2
Mike Linnings.

Do you mean Checks?

Funny story. I was born in Louisville. Did not grow up here. Week 3 of life, thanks to my dad being in the Navy during the later years of the Vietnam War, I grew up in San Francisco, then Murray, Ky, after he was discharged, then Frankfort. I moved to Louisville in 1997. I’ve been around here ever since. A few months ago I heard someone mention Checks. I had never heard of it. The group I was with looked at me like I had the plague. Need to check it out, no pun intended.

Inside old Germantown joke calling it Chec's vs Checks. Thought it would be understood...guess not.

Born and raised in Germantown until leaving for the USAF in 1976.

Reactions: gocds
I’ll cast a vote for the Fish House (Barret Ave. and Winter) also. There are so many choices here for a good fried fish sandwich here in Louisville.

Barret and Winter? Haven’t been back to the old hood in a while, is it where Boobie’s liquers, the Monkey Wrench, Hasenhour’s or the car lot used to be?

Barret and Winter? Haven’t been back to the old hood in a while, is it where Boobie’s liquers, the Monkey Wrench, Hasenhour’s or the car lot used to be?

Southeast corner right beside the liquor store.

I like Cunningham’s and the Fishery in St. Matthews also cod fish on rye and a cold beer. I agree with you on the Catholic community is the reason there is so many good fish restaurants in Louisville. I went to Linnings a while back with a friend of mine and it was really fun to see the different backgrounds the people came from.

There were a group of nuns at one table, bikers at the next table, construction workers next to them and a group of suits next to them. It was a really diverse group of people enjoying big baskets of fish.

WOW! I've been to just about every place mentioned in this thread with 1 notable exception....Pass Time! Every time I'm out that way I forget about it, eat somewhere else, then drive by and say "Dammit, I forgot about this place". I gotta get there. Meanwhile...

• Cunningham's Creek Side is good but I liked everything better when it was Bus Parsons River Creek Inn. Parson's fish sandwich was great but they had maybe the best onion rings ever made.

• Moby Dicks (St. Matthews) has a surprisingly good sandwich and onion rings. I specify St. Matthews because they just do a better job there than other Moby Dicks.

• Check's is as good a sandwich as you will find in a bar as opposed to a "true fish house"

• O'Bryan's sandwich is huge...easily feeds two.

Haven't been to Mike Linnigs in years but usually opted for the fried platter. Funny family incident when my son asked "what's this?" and I told him "frog legs".

But best ever for me was some little seafood shack on what was then a pretty sparsely populated Nag's Head. got a sandwich there on the second day of a beach vacation and Mrs. WildCard insisted we go back every day for lunch. Caught in the morning and fried up in the afternoon.

Peace

For the money It's Passtime. Coldest beer in town, and I also want to say their chicken livers are unbelievable!
2nd place for the money would be Check's.

someone that lives in PRP probably ain’t gonna drive to Cunningham’s in Harrod’s Creek. So there you have it.
Ha ha,the irony of this is that I live in Shively and I have passed on ML's to drive out to Cunninghams for a fish sandwich. Not that it's that much further,but we aren't as enamored by Linnings as we used to be years ago. Plus,the scenic drive down River Rd and back beats the crap out of the one going out Old Cane Run or the Greenbelt.

O'bryans is a great fish sandwich as well. Not sure if I've been to Pasttimes in J-town.I worked out there for 10 years a long time ago. Is it the place that sits back off the road on Watterson Trail?
May I suggest the fish at Coach's Grill on St.AndrewsChurch Rd.?

Here’s 2 for you fish lovers:
Molly Malone’s is really good
Bungalow Joes off Buleah Church.

Last edited:
Through this thread I’ve come to the conclusion that the best fish sandwich in Louisville is a “geographical” situation and requirement. I live in St. Matthews and I ain’t gonna drive all the way to Mike Lennings just as someone that lives in PRP probably ain’t gonna drive to Cunningham’s in Harrod’s Creek. So there you have it. I like ML’s fish but I also like Cunningham’s and it’s one helluva lot closer and with the price of gas being what it is . . . . . . Check’s is ok for me as is PassTime or the FishHouse.

Not driving far removes you from "expert" status then. Drove to Eminence once on a tip. It didnt "pan" out. ;)

Passtime is a dirty hole and the fish wasn't much better. Went there for lunch once during work hours. Got bad services and old oil fish.

Cunningham's, Kingfish, Mike Linnigs for Cod sandwich.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Captain D's
Not driving far removes you from "expert" status then. Drove to Eminence once on a tip. It didnt "pan" out. ;)

Passtime is a dirty hole and the fish wasn't much better. Went there for lunch once during work hours. Got bad services and old oil fish.

It’s funny, every time we eat there we always comment on the service. The main server, who’s been there forever, and I believe she is the owner’s wife, she’s all business. Don’t ask questions, don’t try to engage in chit chat. She’s there to work. She’s similar to the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. Like I said previously, it’s part of the charm. And, I’ve never had an old, oily fish there. Never any grease, oil, or sog. Not saying you didn’t have a bad experience. We’ve all had those at a restaurant at some point.

Huh, Kingfish? That disqualifies you as an expert from the gitgo. Yeah, years ago Kingfish was the best but they have fallen on hard times. Again, I ain’t drivin’ out to M.L.’s for a fish sandwich as long as Cunningham’s and Checks and the FishHouse are in business. :p

One observation about Mike Linnigs, they continue to raise their prices in an attempt to thin out the crowd. Their BIGGEST complaint is the size of the crowds and the length of time it takes to receive your food.

They raise the price. People complain. But people continue to pack out the place. Go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT