ADVERTISEMENT

Open Letter to John Calipari

Pervis_Griffith

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
John, can I call you John?

Listen.

We both know that you are right. And the rabid big blue fans that are tormenting you now are wrong.

You HAVE to stick with the system that EARNED YOU that lifetime contract. Draft ... I mean RECRUIT those one-and-done, NBA sure fire prospects. And then let them work through those slumps that ALL freshmen have during games. They'll have to be able to do this at the next level, so train them on how to do that now.

You are right -- the Louisville game doesn't matter. Especially not to your true fans. Who cares if you win that game? I mean - Louisville has Kentucky kids on their roster.

Don't be bullied by the rabid big blue fans that are screaming for you to USE those last two scholarships on your roster for Kentucky kids that you and I both know have no chance at playing with your best recruits. They have NO shot at the NBA, so why even bother, right? Give them the freedom to play for other schools, and have good to great college basketball experiences.

We know what's important .... For every Evansville loss, there's a Karl Anthony Towns, or Anthony Davis life changing win. For every Richmond loss, there's a John Wall, or Michael Kidd Gilchrist.

TWENTY NINE first round draft picks, Cal.

TWENTY NINE.

Rupp never did that. Pitino never did that. Tubby never did that. YOU DID.

Don't let Big Blue nation EVER forget that. We both know that the measure of great college basketball is what happens in June, not March.

They'll fall in line when the ball starts bouncing your way. What else are they gonna do? Become football fans? No .. they aren't. You win in the SEC, and they will fall in line.

One final thought for you Cal. You can answer their questions, but you can't understand it for them. You just have to keep trying to get them to understand. So always take the opportunity to have press conferences, or coaches shows, and keep trying to explain to these fans what is going on. Eventually, the light will go on. Your true fans get it. The rest will too, if you stick with it.

You do you Cal. It has always worked for you in the past.

Good luck against Hartford,

Signed,
62 - 59

PS: Love the untucked look.

Good seeing you PG (well technically, just reading)!!!

I visit rarely, and this is only the 2nd response I have send since I left the site. Great note, and enjoy the humor that makes your posting a great read.

The UK fan attack on Cal has been in the offing for several years, but this says so much more about the hypocrisy in BBN than about Calipari. Most UK fans have known intellectually that Nike, WW Wes and Cal have played the system with their OaD train to the NBA, and they did it at the expense of those in the Commonwealth who see Calipari as a Carpetbagger who has no interest in the school's reputation. The fans gave no hint of impropriety as long as UK won, and enjoyed some level of tournament success, and now any suggestion that playing Dontaie Allen is a real issue for the fans is most insulting. UK fans have always turned to excuses; in this case something that did not happen, can serve their purposes as why they lost. If Allen had played and he had a day like Sarrs shooting the ball ........... Cal and Allen would both be the scapegoats.

Great win UL!

Reactions: Pervis_Griffith
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT