ADVERTISEMENT

One could write a book about the Bengals-Steelers game.

The Bengals even out-Bengaled themselves tonight. Worst late game self destruct I have ever seen for a team and Pac-Man Jones was front and center in deserving blame for his teams loss. What a complete low class bum he turned out to be. Total lack of self control when the game was on the line. He was last seen crying on a sideline bench.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
One of the great late game self destruct moments of all time. Way to go Pac Man.

More than Pacman, Burfict cost them the game with his vicious late hit to the head of Brown. Burfict tries to hurt opposing players. He's the NFL's biggest thug. What an asshole. Cincy deserved to lose.

One of the great late game self destruct moments of all time. Way to go Pac Man.
I hate both teams as a Browns fan (although rooting for Cincy) but that last qtr had more twists than any game I've ever seen. Dirty shots on both sides but as good as Burfict and Jones are, you deserve whatever you get, not to mention the "sucker puncher" Jeremy Hill fumbling.

Incredible finish.

Obviously a Steelers fan here, but Cincy flat personal fouled theirselves out of their first playoff win in years. There is no way Pittsburgh should have gotten into position to win that game. 30 yards of personal fouls with no time off the clock. Pure undisciplined stupidity.

I lay the blame on Burfict and Hill. Don't know about Jones. WTF was asst. coach Joey Porter doing on the field before the Jones penalty and why was he not flagged?

Long story short, another Bengals choke job. One for the ages that blew a great comeback.

Lookout, Denver.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I lay the blame on Burfict and Hill. Don't know about Jones. WTF was asst. coach Joey Porter doing on the field before the Jones penalty and why was he not flagged?

Long story short, another Bengals choke job. One for the ages that blew a great comeback.

Lookout, Denver.
Wondering about Porter myself. He was a thug back in the day and it was no accident he was out on the field just like it was no accident Asst coach Mike Munchak spun that Cincy DB around.

Bug Eyes Tomlin Is no dummy.

Reactions: Red Rager
I agree with all of that. It's just the state we're in as a society that people would actually do something like this despite all the work they put into winning these games. It was just more important to act like a thug than play it cool and win the game. Jeremy Hill was going to be the goat but not now.

And about that fumble by Hill. Should have never even happened. The Bengals should have taken a knee until the Steelers used their timeouts. Then they could have tried a FG to take a four point lead. Even if they missed it, the Steelers would have no timeouts to get into FG position.

I'm so glad I'm not a Bengals fan. If something like this happened to Louisville in the college game, I wouldn't be able to sleep for three days.

Wondering about Porter myself. He was a thug back in the day and it was no accident he was out on the field just like it was no accident Asst coach Mike Munchak spun that Cincy DB around.

Bug Eyes Tomlin Is no dummy even if he is a turd.
Thought the spin around by Munchak was out of character for him. Believe it or not, I actually like Tomlin. I may root for the Bengals and Patriots, but I totally respect the Steelers.

Or 1000. If you haven't seen it, you will soon. Wow.
Brown leans his head in to the hit. Great acting job. Doesn't take away from the LB being an idiot, but Brown did everything he could to get that call. For those who have slo-no you'll see his head move towards the contact instead of naturally staying straight ahead or better yet move away from the hit. But all those commentators in the booths and studios don't take the time to get the truth and the game narrative was Burfict was out of control all game long. The truth is Brown had just as much responsibility for getting hit in the helmet than the LB did.

Disagree.

A tackler running full speed can not stop or deviate his course without contact.
Especially when receivers lower their heads.

Another thought about this game is that if you watch the short-fat ref has a problem with the Bengal defenders earlier, he could not wait to give PacMan his 15 yarder to decide the game.

Even saw him sayin' F-them. You reap what you sow.

TV is part of the problem, it makes the game looking slower than it is. These guys are flying around and a simple dip of the head puts the defender in a terrible spot. We are talking a half sec on having to determine if Brown caught and find the target area.

The officials lost control of this one when they flagged the Bengals earlier and then let a clear spear go. How can the players not be confused?

The penalty on Jones was ridiculous. There was players mouthing off all game and then you have a coach on the field mouthing of and Jones gets the penalty. Should he be smart enough to walk away yes but the officials failed to control that entire game.

The Bengals found a way which is why we affectionately call them the Bungles.

Brown leans his head in to the hit. Great acting job. Doesn't take away from the LB being an idiot, but Brown did everything he could to get that call. For those who have slo-no you'll see his head move towards the contact instead of naturally staying straight ahead or better yet move away from the hit. But all those commentators in the booths and studios don't take the time to get the truth and the game narrative was Burfict was out of control all game long. The truth is Brown had just as much responsibility for getting hit in the helmet than the LB did.

Hang on. ..are you really saying that Antonio Brown got laid out by one of the dirtiest, most vicious hits I've seen in a while, on PURPOSE? seriously? The play happened so fast he never saw Burfict coming to literally try to kill him, and you are saying Brown played a part in it? Ridiculous

Burfict did not try to kill him or hurt him. Like you said it happened so fast it is impossible to change yours targeting area. The Burgess play is a good example. No way he could have changed in striking area. If Brown doesn't duck his he Burfect catching his shoulder instead. The point is the game moves way to fast to stop these kind of plays.

For the super aggressive defensive players it is really hard to change that mentality. Let's face it that is why they are great players. With that said Burfect is going to have to adjust how the game is being called.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Hang on. ..are you really saying that Antonio Brown got laid out by one of the dirtiest, most vicious hits I've seen in a while, on PURPOSE? seriously? The play happened so fast he never saw Burfict coming to literally try to kill him, and you are saying Brown played a part in it? Ridiculous

I don't like what the bengals have become, but that hit could've been head on instead of a hard glancing blow.

I was born and raised a buckeye all my childhood life. All my adult life, I've tried to be a Bengals fan. I always jump off the boat because they ALWAYS break my heart. Just can't stand the ups and downs of Bengal land. I felt so sorry for their true fans that sat through that miserable weather last night and were so sure this is the game.

Until the OWNERS and GM's quit signing these "emotional players" (read punk ass) they will just have to bear the fruit that comes with them.

There was absolutely no reason for Burfict to hit the guy at all. He was just being what he is.

And PacMan is a known commodity for years. Yes he's great, but he's never won em anything but bad press.

I was born and raised a buckeye all my childhood life. All my adult life, I've tried to be a Bengals fan. I always jump off the boat because they ALWAYS break my heart. Just can't stand the ups and downs of Bengal land. I felt so sorry for their true fans that sat through that miserable weather last night and were so sure this is the game.
I'm with you PH. Been through it all since 1968 and will be there next year. I follow them, root for them, but learned long ago not to invest significant emotion in them. I seen Fool's Gold too many times.

Antonio Brown is now in the NFL Concussion Protocol....that was no acting job and would be very surprised if he is cleared...not a fan of either team but you could see his eyes roll back to the back of his head...he was out before he hit the ground.

No way that is a dirty hit he led with his shoulder. The hit on Girard was 10 times worse ,the Steelers player clearly led with his head and nothing was called. To the poster who said the Bengals should have taken a knee. Are you kidding me? Get one first down and the game is over.

Definitely a dirty hit. ..Brown barely landed, without the ball, did not make any move to "make him a runner" and that PoS burfict knew exactly what he was going to do and did it, and you can see how good it made him feel asap...

I had no dog in the fight up until that hit, then was so happy to see Pitt win it. ..

All in all just a nasty football game, from the coaches to the players, and even the fans throwing bottles at an injured Roethlisberger as he was being carted off the field. ..

No way that is a dirty hit he led with his shoulder. The hit on Girard was 10 times worse ,the Steelers player clearly led with his head and nothing was called. To the poster who said the Bengals should have taken a knee. Are you kidding me? Get one first down and the game is over.
10 times worse? Ridiculous statement blinded by fandom I guess. Jeez. Believe it or not it's possible that both were equally dirty hits. You know not everything happens in a vacuum.

Both teams are at fault and have more than their fair share of thugs.

10 times worse? Ridiculous statement blinded by fandom I guess. Jeez. Believe it or not it's possible that both were equally dirty hits. You know not everything happens in a vacuum.

Yup...not a fan of neither team...the Steelers crossed the line...the Bengals shattered the line...

I disagree, but doesn't matter. Burfict is still responsible. Striking a defenseless receiver in the head or neck area is automatic.

Fact of the matter is, had Cincy kept their composure, they win. Period. This is on the D players and coaches.

I

I don't think either hit was dirty or malicious. However, by rule, Shaziers hit was legal where Burficts was not.

I think both were very hard, but that's football. First one was a runner, so different rules apply.

Bungals! I laugh at all the UK fans that love to say Who Dey! after a win. These losers love to live in the distant pass with their pro team as well.

Last edited:

Actually I'm a Viking fan sice the Tarkington days. The Steelers guy led with the crown of his helmet it was absolutely "crowning" as defined by the NFL.

Thanks for posting the clip. In it I see a receiver land from a jump, look towards the defender he knows should be coming, and then make no attempt to defend himself. Brown actions are the opposite of a receiver who is concerned about protecting against a hit across the middle: no arm raise, no shoulder lean etc. The only thing Brown does is lean his head towards the tackle. No receiver who has ran across the middle and gone after a high throw like that would have moved like Brown unless they were trying to get hit in the head.

You really think Brown's actions starting at the :18 mark of your vid show a player protecting himself?

Reactions: KerryRhodes
It's kind of a bang-bang play, and the Bengal clearly lead with his shoulder. Is that a deliberate attempt to injure? Could he have avoided contact? Hard to say. In the 70s, that would have just been a good play.

What isn't hard to say is that this was the highest rated game last weekend for a reason. We condemn this stuff, but we love it.

I

I don't think either hit was dirty or malicious. However, by rule, Shaziers hit was legal where Burficts was not.

I think both were very hard, but that's football. First one was a runner, so different rules apply.

I agree neither hit was dirty or malicious.

As a point of clarification Shaziers hit was a penalty but not for targeting. He lead with the crown of his helmet which is a penalty, it has been discussed at the national level. It should have been a penalty. The officials up until that point called a good game even the hit by Williams was correct by rule. Once the Shaziers hit occurred the whole environment became charged with anger. They blew a simple call at a critical time in the game.

The Bungles strike again.With the game on the line,pros weren't acting like pros.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT