ADVERTISEMENT

On this day in 1986

I also thought about it today when Mich. made the NC game. It was 5 years ago that we took it all vs.them. Seems like yesterday. Mich has outdone us since, which is kind of a hard pill to swallow. Stay out of trouble and you can keep it consistent. That could be us, without all of the horsecrap. Oh well. Live and learn. It's the start of a new day now for UofL basketball and I'm excited as hell.

The Iceman doin what he did. He was money.
In the last 2:00 min of games his senior year Milt was 51-53 from the free-throw line. In addition to hitting the two with :04 vs Duke to seal the National Championship one of my favorite memories of Milt was him stepping to the line with (I believe about :01) vs Memphis State. He was smiling and telling the crowd to get up, his confidence on the line when it counted was off the charts.

technically the basketball players beat duke, "we" watched and cheered, but sentiment understood 8-D; Jeff Hall still the hero of the game. he shut dawkins down and took a clothesline from bilas i think at the buzzer

technically the basketball players beat duke, "we" watched and cheered, but sentiment understood 8-D; Jeff Hall still the hero of the game. he shut dawkins down and took a clothesline from bilas i think at the buzzer
The clothesline was from Danny Ferry, and Jeff fired the ball at his big head in response. Wished Jeff would have punched that POS.

Reactions: glassmanJ
The clothesline was from Danny Ferry, and Jeff fired the ball at his big head in response. Wished Jeff would have punched that POS.
thanks for the correction cue, Jeff was ready to fight but the celebration started. That ball throw was a lasting memory, although my memory is no longer lasting

i always thought hebert crook must have felt weird and grateful committing 9 turnovers but still winning the title. is that a record?

Reactions: Cue Card
i always thought hebert crook must have felt weird and grateful committing 9 turnovers but still winning the title. is that a record?
I thought I knew everything there was to know about that game, but I honestly didn't know about the 9 turnovers that Herb was credited for. That must be a record number for 1 player on the winning team. Wow!!

In the last 2:00 min of games his senior year Milt was 51-53 from the free-throw line. In addition to hitting the two with :04 vs Duke to seal the National Championship one of my favorite memories of Milt was him stepping to the line with (I believe about :01) vs Memphis State. He was smiling and telling the crowd to get up, his confidence on the line when it counted was off the charts.
My all time favorite Milt moment. It was either final home game or final of the Metro Tourney in 1986. So clutch, so many times.

A lot of people don't know what a great team Duke was. Their only losses before the championship game were to then #1 North Carolina and #4 Georgia Tech back to back on the road. But we were playing like a machine at that point and loaded with talent and experience.

Reactions: glassmanJ
We had a baseball game the next day at Indiana State, needless to say we weren't in great shape. People forgot their jerseys' cleats, gloves etc. We were a mess. After we made it to Terre Haute it rained and ended up being cancelled.

A lot of people don't know what a great team Duke was. Their only losses before the championship game were to then #1 North Carolina and #4 Georgia Tech back to back on the road. But we were playing like a machine at that point and loaded with talent and experience.
duke had come into the final on a 21 game winning streak while cards was at 16.

Wow. I didn’t recall Herb Crook having 9 turnovers but just looked it up. We had 24 turnovers as a team, I don’t remember the game being that sloppy. Herb also went 0-3 from the free-throw line. We also ended the game with three starters having 4 personal fouls each.

However, to Crook’s credit if my memory serves me right he had a helluva tourney overall. It seems like I recall him playing out of his mind against North Carolina.

Never Nervous Pervis Ellison 1986

0407_large.jpg

I remember it very well. I was banging my girlfriend while watching the game. She became a card fan that night.

Now that is multi-tasking.

I was working undercover on a case in a bar in Bozeman, MT. The game was on an old tv and I had to avoid paying any attention to it for fear I'd blow my cover. It was the only time I ever worked undercover in a 28 year law enforcement career and it had to be that night.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT