ADVERTISEMENT

On the dawn of a new season, what are your expectations?

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I think the Cards will have the pitching. They obviously have the coaching. They did lose a lot, however, and will be a considerably young team. I'm not going to call this a rebuilding or bridge year, as there is talent, but a repeat of last year's success, I'm not sure happens. It'll be a fun season, regardless.

Pitching and power will be two key areas and when you lose someone like McKay who provided both, it will be a challenge. Pitching wise, I think we have a lot of talented young arms, who will be tested. Mann, Stowers and Wyatt will need to provide the leadership. Lot of good baseball coming to Jim Patterson.

I like starting a little further down in the rankings. Takes some pressure off.

I've been out to several scrimmages lately and there will be about 3-4 position spots up for grabs. I like it. There are some very talented, young guys.

Remember the name Campbell.

Anybody know the story of Oriente? As I remember he was going to be a starter in the OF last year but got hurt and was out all year. I expected him to be ready this year but maybe he had TJ surgery.

Yes, I would have thought the same re: Oriente. Haven’t seen his name yet. I surprised to not see Bennett in the weekend rotation. I know Sophs can be tricky - either they continue on strong from a FR year or just run into that SO slump. Hopefully it’s just that there is stronger talent there. Hosting a regional is my goal for the team. Anything more than that is gravy.

I like starting a little further down in the rankings. Takes some pressure off.

I've been out to several scrimmages lately and there will be about 3-4 position spots up for grabs. I like it. There are some very talented, young guys.

Remember the name Campbell.
You were dead on about Campbell. 2 for 3, double, triple, 3 rbis and 4 runs!!!

Yes, I would have thought the same re: Oriente. Haven’t seen his name yet. I surprised to not see Bennett in the weekend rotation. I know Sophs can be tricky - either they continue on strong from a FR year or just run into that SO slump. Hopefully it’s just that there is stronger talent there. Hosting a regional is my goal for the team. Anything more than that is gravy.
Bennett pitched in relief on Saturday. Wonder if he will pitch the mid week games?

I saw Oriente scrimmaging last weekend. He was hitting it good. I expect him to get his chance, but he was catching too. With Pink's injury, mac using him there as well.

My expectations are soaring with each time I watch this young group.

Anybody know the story of Oriente?
I hope you guys got to see yesterday's game.Oriente dh'd in the 4th spot.I heard he was nursing a hamstring injury the last 2 weeks.He had a couple of hits before I left in the 7th.He cut off his locks too.He may be a guy that dh's against lefties going forward and adds some punch to the middle of that lineup,I think.

Reactions: CardX
Great series against NC. I think there were some good things to build on. Lots of room for improvement.

I thought Thompson pitched a gem til that last inning.

One thing I noticed about the NC pitching. They pitched inside all weekend, on our hands.

Great series against NC. I think there were some good things to build on. Lots of room for improvement.

I thought Thompson pitched a gem til that last inning.

One thing I noticed about the NC pitching. They pitched inside all weekend, on our hands.
Yeah. Was really liking what I saw from Riley. Got it up there around 96-97, although he was probably more effective at 94. Dan left him in too long and the wheels fell off. Plus it was terribly cold. UNC brought their closer Daniels in and shut us down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT