ADVERTISEMENT

Okay, serious question this go around.....

Dec 16, 2015
How do you see the Cardinals doing next season? As an outsider looking in, I know you have a fantastic young running back and speed to waste in the offense. My question would be the depth on the lines for the Cardinals. I think you have good talent in the secondary, but experience has shown me without a decent pass rush even preseason all american candidates get torched if there's no pressure on the quarterback. Throw in that other defensive (and offensive) co-ordinators have a year's worth of game film to watch....what do you realistically expect next season???? Equal record?
Better? A game less?

No smack....just football talk.

Impossible to predict. Kentucky fans were predicting 10-12 or more wins for this past year, but your back up QB transferred and your starter went down, and you had to cobble together a make shift offense with no passing game. Could not predict that. Cards have a lot coming back, but they lose key pieces on both lines. They have good recruits for both lines, but who knows how that goes. Eight wins this past year was unthinkable, so eight wins next year would be awesome. Beating Kentucky would be even better. Go Cards!

How do you see the Cardinals doing next season? As an outsider looking in, I know you have a fantastic young running back and speed to waste in the offense. My question would be the depth on the lines for the Cardinals. I think you have good talent in the secondary, but experience has shown me without a decent pass rush even preseason all american candidates get torched if there's no pressure on the quarterback. Throw in that other defensive (and offensive) co-ordinators have a year's worth of game film to watch....what do you realistically expect next season???? Equal record?
Better? A game less?

No smack talk
Pfffftttt !
This an arch rivalry !
You dont wont no smack talk, get you a Louisville user name.
We have some undercover uofk fans up in here :cool:

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Football is pretty simple if you can run the ball and stop the run you have yourself a really good team. You are almost guaranteed to be in every game.

Louisville and UK will be able to run the ball because that is what they do. Both have terrific Oline coaches. Louisville is built better to adjust to the run game being stopped but UK can impose their will to run.

Defense is the difference right now UK can stop the run while Louisville has struggled. That really is what 2020 comes down to for Louisville can they stop the run?

No way to predict records at this point too many variables. Have to see what Louisville adds to defense.

Better? A game less?

Find a uk board klown.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-clemson-ohio-state/nksaexznh9m51jojwz2c4htqi

They have us at 18, and I understand that ranking. We have a ton coming back on an offense that’s still learning the intricacies of a new offense. We’ve got a lot of key pieces returning on a defense that saw yet another new dc come in and implement a new defense. I thought we looked good as a whole against miss st in the last game, like it was coming together. Our biggest issues are gonna be on the defensive front, if some of our jucos and freshmen have the ability to play significant time this year and make an impact, I could definitely see us cracking top 25 this year.

There is lots to like. Second year in the same system should be a big bonus. On offense, we lose Becton, Haycraft, and Dawkins, plus top backups TJ McCoy, Davis and Pfeifer. On defense we lose Robinson, Caban, and Pass, plus top backups Sturghill, Whitlow, and McCrae.

We are going to need to rely on the four redshirt freshmen for OL backups and possibly one starter, but we do have a lot of veteran talent returning on both sides of the ball. At this point, I’d categorize the games into these broad categories.

Likely wins:
Murray State, WKU, NC State, WF, @BC

50/50 games:
FSU, UK, VT, @Syracuse, @Virginia

Unlikely wins:
@ND, @Clemson

7-5 again is certainly possible, but perhaps a little better if we can go 3-2 in the “even” games.

Reactions: FlavRunit
I just saw this thread. billoliver40 is a UK fan but a class poster. I urge everyone to respond in a class manner. He has hit me with a few "likes" over on the UK board. :D

Looking at next year, offense should theoretically be more of the same. Unfortunately defense might be as well.

At this point defensive bigs, both starters and subs, look to be the most obvious problems. Lots of returnees but no size (spring roster does not show a single 300 pounder). Word was the Cards were supposed to be a "stunting 3-4" defense but over the course of the year I saw very little stunting. Maybe more against MSU than any 3 other games rolled together.

Regarding pass rush the Cards rushed 3 dropped 8 quite a bit this year on passing downs. Even Clemson has trouble getting a rush from that set. Well, maybe not. :cool:

Overall, I think Pushup has a pretty good breakdown of "expectations". Grabbing 2 of his 50/50s would make a nice 7-5 year. Three would be great. As discussed a bit on your board, VPI returns their whole freakin' team. FSU has a new coach but a lot of "buried" talent as well. If not beat to death by the last game, after 2 bad losses, I hope to give the Cats a good game at home. We will see how it goes.

Peace

Reactions: BlueTick2
I think we take a small step backwards. Nothing too alarming. It’s just part of the process of Satt implementing his way. A lot of senior leadership and experience will be gone. Teams will know how to better prepare against us. We’ll have a competitive team. We’ll make a bowl. I’m thinking 6-6.

Still don’t know what Jason Pass will do. I don’t know why, but I’m not penciling in Micale like everyone else is. Moreover MC has a pattern of getting banged up. As far as I know Puma is still on the roster and not in the transfer portal. If he is going elsewhere, the hour is getting late. Spring drills start in a few weeks and I would think he would want to be with his new team for that, if indeed he is transferring.
I pretty much agree with Push. I’m hoping for 8-4 with a bowl win.

We will most likely be flirting with the Top 20 and much improved defensively and should be more efficient offensively.

This will be the first time in four years we've had a returning defensive coordinator. We aren't teaching 40 kids our system, just the newcomers. We will also have kids recruited specifically for our defense, many are in for the spring, I would expect those will be the kids scratching to get into the two deep.

Offensively we will be more efficient. The line will be about the same, with a little more depth and kids a year into the program. I can see us averaging 36+ points per game with what we have coming back. Cunningham was good last year, I expect to see him taking a few more chances with an explosive offense. At times last year we scored too quickly. I would like to see us be able to sustain some long drives taking the pressure off of the defense.

I'm expecting similar results in the win column.

expected wins: Murray, WKU, NC ST, WF, @BC, @Syracuse, @Virginia

60/40: VT
50/50: FSU
40/60: UK, @ND

expected loss: Clemson

Still don’t know what Jason Pass will do. I don’t know why, but I’m not penciling in Micale like everyone else is. Moreover MC has a pattern of getting banged up. As far as I know Puma is still on the roster and not in the transfer portal. If he is going elsewhere, the hour is getting late. Spring drills start in a few weeks and I would think he would want to be with his new team for that, if indeed he is transferring.

Pass is probably not transferring yet because he doesn’t have his degree. I expect Pass to go through spring drills and try to beat out Micale, then if he cannot he will go the grad transfer route.

Not penceling in Cunningham? He was one pass attempt short of qualifying for a certain q.b. rating I can't remember the name of. If he had qualified he would have been second only to Joe Burrow. This you absolutely have to take into account his o- line. Its only going to get better and so will he.

Not penceling in Cunningham? He was one pass attempt short of qualifying for a certain q.b. rating I can't remember the name of. If he had qualified he would have been second only to Joe Burrow. This you absolutely have to take into account his o- line. Its only going to get better and so will he.

Cunningham is very likely the starter, but Pass’s physical size, big arm, and athleticism could make it a two man race. Pass will need to improve his accuracy to be a serious challenger.

Reactions: CardVille
Pass only started the year off bc MC got hurt. I think its a very similar year as this past season. I DO NOT think we will see the few blowout losses as there will be some slight improvement on the defensive side. I think the 2021 season should be the year we some solid progress as our studs will be upper classman and we should finally have some depth on the O and D lines. Our schedules don't help us a ton as we continue to play a pretty decent non-conference slate.

I’m expecting again to have a season that could be highly volatile!

last year we went 7-5
If we miss a field goal against BC, the call on the field gave Wake an onside Kick recovery, Virginia recovered their onside kick. We could’ve went 4-8. Coaching and determination makes the difference in close games.

-We have 2 OOC wins that should be a given.
-Clemson & Notre Dame will be heavily favored and we likely lose both
-VT & UK we will be underdogs and at a talent disadvantage. I won’t expect to win, but we certainly have a chance to win.

So say we are 2-4 against those 6 teams, the next six games we HAVE to go 4-2 to make a bowl.

-Florida State at home. If we want to have a big season, we have to win this game at home. It will probably be our biggest crow of the year and the game CSS will want to win the most. If we lose this game, I’m more inclined to say we will be 7-5 again.

-Boston College on the road? New coach and I think we have more talent, I think we win. But too many unknowns for them at this point, we should win.

-Wake Forrest at home. They’ll have a new QB and I think they’ll take a large step back.

-Virginia on the road. It’ll be tough. They’ll play us tough and they’ll be physical. It’ll be one of those games where weather, injuries, etc will matter a lot.

-NC State at home. They were injury plagued and playing one of the youngest rosters in the nation last year. They’ll be improved and will always play physical. I expect a win here, but they’ll be much improved.

Syracuse at the Dome. They’ll be back to playing a high scoring style of play this year, much improved there. The defense was awful and they lost a lot. They made a coaching change at DC that improved it a bit? They have a good coach and I think they’ll be better. Bet the over on this game.

I think we go 5-1 in these games, a loss to FSU. I think we play Clemson, ND, UK, & VT closer than the big games last year. The defensive will be better, not great and will still get gashed at times, but better. I think a solid 7-5 for the Cards.

steal one against FSU, VT, or UK and it’s 8-4 (all 3 at home)

Cunningham will be the QB. No doubt.

I see 7-5 or 8-4. A lot of our impact players are returning. Defense is getting some reinforcements on the ends. Some unknowns in the middle with 3 decent freshman recruits. It will all depend on the DL. If the DL is improved then we have a chance to win 8 or 9.

Some good posts, and thanks Wildcard...I've enjoyed your posts whenever they've been.

I've experienced some family tragedy the past two weeks...two aunts and my brother in law have died within ten days....and I'm afraid my heart is just not in sport right now.
Lol...and perhaps Kerry is correct, I need to find a way to walk that edge between fun needling and PHCard or Steelers saying get your ass outta here.
Peace out football fans. Back at ya later

Reactions: gocds and FlavRunit
Some good posts, and thanks Wildcard...I've enjoyed your posts whenever they've been.

I've experienced some family tragedy the past two weeks...two aunts and my brother in law have died within ten days....and I'm afraid my heart is just not in sport right now.
Lol...and perhaps Kerry is correct, I need to find a way to walk that edge between fun needling and PHCard or Steelers saying get your ass outta here.
Very sorry for your losses, Bill. Family can be a source of great strength and also of great sorrow. My prayers are with you!

Reactions: gocds

Sorry for all your family losses Mr Oliver. That's rough.

Don't understand why you are calling out mods that have respected you as you have respected us. The grieving process does mess with our fight or flight. Take care of the family.

Reactions: gocds

May god bless

One last note I will remind everyone of.....the recruiting 'stars' on your incoming are only a part of a big picture....kids grow and develop in bizarre ways...at least two UK greats of recent note are Cobb and Allen. Desire, work ethic and coaching development have to be considered. Satterfield certainly showed his part at Appy State....so time tells. Normally, even four star players and some five stars need a year or two to live up to that. Louisville is set well for two years down the trail, and perhaps next year with the offense you have returning. See y'all in the summer....and I hope to still be able to say we will kick your tails come the last game of the year.

Good luck.

Sports lose a lot of luster in this game of life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT