ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, started 14-0, now 2-4 since.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Granted, the schedule has upgraded. But, losing a series to WF? Come on. They are 9-11. I'd say it's a mid season slump, but we're not even at mid season yet. I'm not even close to worrying about a thing. Long season lies ahead. But, pitching has been a little shaky, the Cards are falling behind early. I just need to remind myself Ellis and McKay aren't walking through that door to blast us some immediate runs.

Granted, the schedule has upgraded. But, losing a series to WF? Come on. They are 9-11. I'd say it's a mid season slump, but we're not even at mid season yet. I'm not even close to worrying about a thing. Long season lies ahead. But, pitching has been a little shaky, the Cards are falling behind early. I just need to remind myself Ellis and McKay aren't walking through that door to blast us some immediate runs.
Cards have been down early in every game since the 1st game against UNC.

Offensively,I thought it started against NC.Their pitchers repeatedly pitched inside to our hitters,something me or them probably had seen all season.Couple that with a lot of right handed pitching since,it seems our right handed dominant lineup has cooled off.Not all though.I sense that Campbell is close to helping alleviate some of that ,if he hasn't already.

I still feel good about the pitching,but sense a change in the Fri-Sun rotation as well.

Still like this Team. I'm not sure, but maybe it takes a minute with this group, which could be a good thing.

The Cards made ole dude look like Cy Young last night. Our old Achilles coming back to get us... A lefty that throws the breaking pitch just inside and outside the zone.

Our pitchers are not finding the strike zone. UK killing us due to walks, HBPs, errors, etc.

19-9. The Cards didn't lose their 9th game until 5/19 last year. Despite McDonnell's subtle warning of a young team, I think a lot of us had optimism given how good of a coach he is, and perhaps due to being spoiled with 45-50+ win teams the last 5 years. We are at the half way point, and it seems the overall themes of this team, despite youthfulness, are leaving runners on base, errors, and falling behind early. Young guys need to grow up quick, or the postseason will not be in play.

19-9. The Cards didn't lose their 9th game until 5/19 last year. Despite McDonnell's subtle warning of a young team, I think a lot of us had optimism given how good of a coach he is, and perhaps due to being spoiled with 45-50+ win teams the last 5 years. We are at the half way point, and it seems the overall themes of this team, despite youthfulness, are leaving runners on base, errors, and falling behind early. Young guys need to grow up quick, or the postseason will not be in play.
I think postseason is still in play but like you said, we are a little spoiled. What that means is probably not hosting but being a #3 or #4 seed.

I heard Mac say on the radio last week after the series with Clemson, he thought they were getting close.

Now, with tbs, I think there's a different approach to the season. With the youth, it works maybe to the team's advantage .
What I mean is the youth develops in time for the team to get hot at the right time.
There is a concern while we wait that we're not playing clean ball. Clean ball gets us a few more wins along the way.

I heard Mac say on the radio last week after the series with Clemson, he thought they were getting close.

Now, with tbs, I think there's a different approach to the season. With the youth, it works maybe to the team's advantage .
What I mean is the youth develops in time for the team to get hot at the right time.
There is a concern while we wait that we're not playing clean ball. Clean ball gets us a few more wins along the way.
I’m not as concerned about the errors as I am about the inability of our pitchers to throw strikes.

Reactions: earsky
I would probably include the inability to hit the strike zone is not playing clean
'

Reaching a some what favorable portion of the schedule. Winnable series at Va Tech, UK at home, another winnable series at UVA, WKU and Indiana State at home. The Cards have been dealt some body blows the last month, but I think it's setting up rather nicely for them. Still have to perform, but the opportunity to close the second half of the season strong is there.

If the top gets going,I think we'll be able to overcome other deficiencies.

You're right about the schedule.It sets up for this group to gather momentum after Derby.

Based on our teams in the past I would say that it would be possible to finish strong. However, it’s not easy to sweep anybody, which is what we really need against the rest of our ACC schedule. We need to finish on a roll and hope we can do well in the ACC tournament so we can possibly get a decent seed in a regional seed somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT