ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State

Buckeyes really impressed me with their speed at wide receiver. They may have had fast receivers last year, but Fields wasn’t good enough to showcase them. He is now.

ACC with the bagel in bowl games so far. Miami, Wake Forest, Notre Dame and Clemson have all lost. Only North Carolina and NC State left to play today, and both are underdogs.

With as physical a sport as football is, we’re probably going to hear a lot of griping about Ohio State’s 7 game season versus Alabama’s 12.

The thing I noticed about both Clemson and OSU was their success is built around 4 players. Both teams kept going back to the same group of 4 for big plays. When I watched Alabama it was a whole lot more players involved in making big plays. I not an Alabama fan but they have a better team than Clemson or OSU.

Reactions: CardsFirst
The thing I noticed about both Clemson and OSU was their success is built around 4 players. Both teams kept going back to the same group of 4 for big plays. When I watched Alabama it was a whole lot more players involved in making big plays. I not an Alabama fan but they have a better team than Clemson or OSU.
We’re a far cry from any of the four teams but what won the game for OSU was their line play. They were able to give Fields enough time to throw and their defensive line was finally able to put pressure on Lawrence. It was won in the trenches.

Reactions: BPGhost
We’re a far cry from any of the four teams but what won the game for OSU was their line play. They were able to give Fields enough time to throw and their defensive line was finally able to put pressure on Lawrence. It was won in the trenches.
It seems like Clemson lost a lot of their physical presence they were built on a few years back.

I remember how rough they were (Dirty too) and just beat teams down. Then once they added the offensive pieces, they looked unstoppable. LSU, Bama, and Ohio State have kept their physicality but added the speed to match Clemson.

It seems like Clemson lost a lot of their physical presence they were built on a few years back.

I remember how rough they were (Dirty too) and just beat teams down. Then once they added the offensive pieces, they looked unstoppable. LSU, Bama, and Ohio State have kept their physicality but added the speed to match Clemson.
The back end part of their defense this year wasn’t as talented as the past few years. Of course those two years where they had 3 first rounders on the DL will help make your LBs and DBs look better.

Reactions: nccardfan
They lost their entire D-line from last year and it showed in the bowl. They were simply dominated up front.

Reactions: Mayoman
I don’t think it would have changed the outcome or even made it more competitive but Buckeyes down 11 players to Covid. It’s not an excuse but it is noteworthy. I remember our fans clamoring that we should have cancelled our game with that many players out.

I don’t think it would have changed the outcome or even made it more competitive but Buckeyes down 11 players to Covid. It’s not an excuse but it is noteworthy. I remember our fans clamoring that we should have cancelled our game with that many players out.
Didn’t I see where the B1G pushed to have it postponed a week?

It seems like the year(s) of the asterisk will never end

Alabama is just that good or better than any team out there. I saw where they made recruiting history this recruiting cycle. They signed the best offensive line players to go to one school in a recruiting cycle. It was something like Five 5* offensive line players and all of them were the best player for their position. The rich just keep getting richer.

RC....so you are saying there is a chance?

Slim and none and slim just left town.

If and when money really becomes an issue for the P5 schools to keep subsidizing CFB, then maybe some reduction could take place.

I am in favor or cutting at least 5-10 schollies to bring some parity in the sheer numbers the blue bloods get every year.

Crazy thought: I would also favor a cap on the number of 5 star players one school can sign in any given year too. o_O ;) I know pipe dream there.

RC....so you are saying there is a chance?

Slim and none and slim just left town.

If and when money really becomes an issue for the P5 schools to keep subsidizing CFB, then maybe some reduction could take place.

I am in favor or cutting at least 5-10 schollies to bring some parity in the sheer numbers the blue bloods get every year.

Crazy thought: I would also favor a cap on the number of 5 star players one school can sign in any given year too. o_O ;) I know pipe dream there.
The top ten would just pay off the recruiting services to down play them to 4’s.

Really, they’d just have to pay off one to say they’re a 4.

Money. It’s all about money.

Scholarships need cut by at least five. That’s 50-65 players a year that would have to pick one of the “other” 50 P5 (or other divisions) schools.

Why would anybody lose an education?

I’m sure it ruffles feathers, but the players would simply “trickle down”.

The 50 the top 10-15 now go to other P5’s

The 50 the other P5’s “would” have signed go to G5 or FCS schools

The 50 they “would” have signed go to D2-3.

nobody loses an education if that’s what they really want. l guess it’s possible that if you get far enough down the pecking order some kids who probably shouldn’t be playing at the college level would not be.

The overwhelming majority of people who want to go to school will still be able to at some level.

Why would anybody lose an education?

I’m sure it ruffles feathers, but the players would simply “trickle down”.

The 50 the top 10-15 now go to other P5’s

The 50 the other P5’s “would” have signed go to G5 or FCS schools

The 50 they “would” have signed go to D2-3.

nobody loses an education if that’s what they really want. l guess it’s possible that if you get far enough down the pecking order some kids who probably shouldn’t be playing at the college level would not be.

The overwhelming majority of people who want to go to school will still be able to at some level.
This would have no effect overall. Big time programs will have ways to get around this. They will create more academic or financial need scholarships to offset the loss or reduction of athletic scholarships. Who cares whether you get an athletic or academic scholarship as long as your education gets paid for.

This would have no effect overall. Big time programs will have ways to get around this. They will create more academic or financial need scholarships to offset the loss or reduction of athletic scholarships. Who cares whether you get an athletic or academic scholarship as long as your education gets paid for.
Hadn’t thought of that angle.

The last thing I want is more regulation, ...but ;) IF the NCAA cared about parity they could mandate all sports players have to be:

1. on scholarship for THAT sport
2. on scholarship for another sport AND they must participate in said sport (duel sport athletes
3. walk on and pay their way

If a kid gets an academic, social, or even gift scholarship, they go to school but are ineligible for any sport.

But we’re spinning our wheels. Nothing will change

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT