ADVERTISEMENT

Nyah Green - Duke

FlavRunit

Two-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2006
Interesting place to transfer. I guess we will be seeing her a couple of times a year. Congrats! Good Luck!

Reactions: Deeva
It's a great opportunity for her to learn and grow under one of the best to play in the WNBA in Kara Lawsonis and for a team that quite honestly could use a boost at guard, based on what I saw against Louisville. It is interesting that she'd choose to go to a program that is sitting out the rest of the season -- especially when she would have been able to play for someone immediately -- but Lawson can teach Green a lot.

--sonja--

That kind of makes me wonder did Duke reach out to her first?
[/QUOTE

I don’t know, but Nyah clearly practiced daily and could see the writing on the wall. I’ve been waiting all Summer to see where she would land in the lineup, because I knew when a 5* was called to redshirt, she had to land in that top 7 of the rotation or be considered a transfer risk.

they way Coach is recruiting, I expect to see a transfer every year. Im impressed with his recruiting but man, we are stacked....

CJW might match Calipari recruiting but he didn’t take the same rout as Calipari. CJW is achieving his recruiting success by showing his coaching abilities and doing it with his coaching staff. Calipari had most of his recruiting success with the help of WWW.

"Will Jeff become the John Calapari of women's basketball"

I don't pretend to understand the quote!!!! What attribute of Calipari's coaching do you think that Jeff may possibly imitate?

Will Jeff Walz become the John Calapari of women's basketball? Definitely not. If he ever does, I'll drop the program like a hot potato and start a Bellarmine WBB Fan Site..

The only possible similarities would be that both attract top notch talent. The differences? I'll keep it brief with just five of the thousands.

1) Walz has never been sanctioned
2) Walz does not have "one and done" players who jump to the pros
3) Walz has respectable and above the board assistants and staff
4) Walz does not jump the ship and head to another program when trouble arises like Calipari
5) Walz is genuine, his own man and truthful

End of sermon. Go in peace and call your grandparents to check on them, like Walz does frequently.

--sonja--

I don't pretend to understand the quote!!!! What attribute of Calipari's coaching do you think that Jeff may possibly imitate?
Just making an analogy to to Cal's recruiting over players every year with more 5 and 4 stars.

Interesting Q&A article with Nyah. Not sure how I feel about some of her comments. In the end, she wasn’t good enough to earn the minutes here.

None. For one Walz actually coaches

Reactions: cards_rock
Interesting Q&A article with Nyah. Not sure how I feel about some of her comments. In the end, she wasn’t good enough to earn the minutes here.

Reading between the lines. She was recruited over and didn’t like the competition. I would wish her luck but she’s playing for an ACC team.

Reactions: mwatson61
Just making an analogy to to Cal's recruiting over players every year with more 5 and 4 stars.

every coach does this. It’s up to players to keep their spot. Heck Mack does it. Doesn’t make them like Calimari

CJW doesn’t recruit over players in his program. That would mean each year the new players get all the minutes and the returning players get the scraps. He just recruits talent to reload.

Reactions: mwatson61
In my opinion the verdict is still out on Lawson as a coach I don’t think Duke canceled their season for safety reasons. I think she saw they were going to get waxed all season and saved herself and her program some embarrassment. Having a season in the direction they were head would have raised enough doubts to hurt their recruiting.

In my opinion the verdict is still out on Lawson as a coach I don’t think Duke canceled their season for safety reasons. I think she saw they were going to get waxed all season and saved herself and her program some embarrassment. Having a season in the direction they were head would have raised enough doubts to hurt their recruiting.
Duke was 3-1 when they shut it down and I do think it was because of a virus worry instead of how they were performing on the court. As far as Lawson goes, I look at another great of the WNBA in Tina Thompson and her Virginia squad is 0-5 and 0-2 in conference, so great succees in the pros does not necessarily translate into WBB in college success.

I am willing to wait a few years, though, before I pass final judgment on either Lawson or Thompson. Let's see who they can bring in, how they perform -- that's only fair.

--sonja--

Duke was 3-1 when they shut it down and I do think it was because of a virus worry instead of how they were performing on the court. As far as Lawson goes, I look at another great of the WNBA in Tina Thompson and her Virginia squad is 0-5 and 0-2 in conference, so great succees in the pros does not necessarily translate into WBB in college success.

I am willing to wait a few years, though, before I pass final judgment on either Lawson or Thompson. Let's see who they can bring in, how they perform -- that's only fair.

--sonja--

Wins against Longwood, West Carolina and East Carolina not that impressive. I think exposed how bad they were going to be against good competition.

CJW might match Calipari recruiting but he didn’t take the same rout as Calipari. CJW is achieving his recruiting success by showing his coaching abilities and doing it with his coaching staff. Calipari had most of his recruiting success with the help of WWW.
And mostly NIKE

Lawson has a great resume, but had never been a head coach until Duke and only an assistant coach for one year with the Celtics. Her temperament or personality as a college head coach are an unknown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT