ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame???

jalovell23

2000+
Jul 8, 2007
Boone County
Since Notre Dame is playing an ACC schedule plus, one non conference game this year.... and if they win the national championship...... is that considered a championship for the ACC conference????

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
Yes. They aren’t winning a national championship, however.
But Louisville is?
The ACC got a lot better with ND in it. It’s no coincidence that the ACC is setting conference records this year for teams in top 10 and now three teams in the top 5, with ND being one of them. In a month there will probably be an AP top 3 game between ND and Clemson.

But Louisville is?
The ACC got a lot better with ND in it. It’s no coincidence that the ACC is setting conference records this year for teams in top 10 and now three teams in the top 5, with ND being one of them. In a month there will probably be an AP top 3 game between ND and Clemson.
F off, dude. I never said Louisville was winning it all. Sensitive douche.

Last edited:
I actually think ND is a player on the national level, I also think they help elevate the conference in football. The conference overall is improving and in a few years it is going to be even tougher.

Reactions: gocds
Was glad to see ND win yesterday's game. Sets up a huge rematch for the ACC title game and the possibility of BOTH teams playing in the CFP...
Clemson would have to win the rematch, which is possible but I think they have a QB issue, albeit a good one. No way does a 2 loss team make it with Buckeyes possibly going undefeated and with Bama, IMO.

Since ND plays five or six games against the ACC I would think the ACC would claim a part of the glory every year. ND is a partial member of the ACC in football and full member in all other sports except Ice Hockey. Why not make ND football work for the ACC every year?

Because no one wants to let them compete for a championship unless they fully join the conference. Why should we get punked by ND the same way the BE was?
You look at it as "How dare they use us, lets force them to join and see what happens!" Let's get this straight, Notre Dame Football is a powerful football TV draw. They rake in money. Bowl Games have individual contracts with Notre Dame. They are so popular that they have their own personal TV deal for football with NBC.

The "demand" that we make ND join the ACC is laughable, as they could just negotiate with another conference. ESPN created the ACC Network and gave us that huge TV deal because ND gives the ACC 3 games a year to air on the ESPN Networks. Ever notice that every time Notre Dame plays a road game, ESPN, CBS, & Fox ALL put them in a primetime game? Remember that Monday night kick-off we had last year, yeah that's why ESPN loves this contract. Besides, even without the ACC, they play probably the toughest schedule in college football. 9 of their 12 games were against Power 5 teams last season & one of their non-P5 games was against a ranked NAVY team.

We can't force them to leave because WE TOOK THE MONEY. Their agreement alone puts money into our pockets. If we told them to join or leave, you don't think the Big 12, Big East, or even Big 10 wouldn't try to give them a similar arrangement? So we should just kick them out, make less money, & take another good program away from other sports? It's mutually beneficial, it's not hurting us, & we aren't "getting punked"

The only people that could make them join a conference is the Power 5 conferences & bowl games combined. Until that day comes, it's better to have goodwill & an agreement that will get them to join eventually when they have to join.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I never liked Notre Dame before we joined the ACC. I always felt like they had a ... excuse the cliche'... "Holier than thou" attitude... But after reading that ND helped UofL get into the ACC... And I don't know for a fact how much they helped, just my perception... My view toward them has softened. I don't really begrudge them their special status in the ACC. Playing them has only helped our programs, IMO.

I never liked Notre Dame before we joined the ACC. I always felt like they had a ... excuse the cliche'... "Holier than thou" attitude... But after reading that ND helped UofL get into the ACC... And I don't know for a fact how much they helped, just my perception... My view toward them has softened. I don't really begrudge them their special status in the ACC. Playing them has only helped our programs, IMO.
And they will eventually join, it’s a matter of when and not if.

And once we get them in the conference, Clemson, Notre Dame, and a revived FSU will be a strong national conference. Then teams like Miami, VT, UNC, GT, and UofL can turn it around and we’ll be a tough league.

Reactions: Mayoman
ND normally don't play for conference championships. The only championship ND celebrates is the NC. ND spoke loudly to the ACC about admitting the Cards into the ACC. There's plenty of documentation to prove it. The ACC and ND agreed to five games each year. ND was going to play six this year. ND isn't going anywhere until that contract runs out in 2037.

You look at it as "How dare they use us, lets force them to join and see what happens!" Let's get this straight, Notre Dame Football is a powerful football TV draw. They rake in money. Bowl Games have individual contracts with Notre Dame. They are so popular that they have their own personal TV deal for football with NBC.

The "demand" that we make ND join the ACC is laughable, as they could just negotiate with another conference. ESPN created the ACC Network and gave us that huge TV deal because ND gives the ACC 3 games a year to air on the ESPN Networks. Ever notice that every time Notre Dame plays a road game, ESPN, CBS, & Fox ALL put them in a primetime game? Remember that Monday night kick-off we had last year, yeah that's why ESPN loves this contract. Besides, even without the ACC, they play probably the toughest schedule in college football. 9 of their 12 games were against Power 5 teams last season & one of their non-P5 games was against a ranked NAVY team.

We can't force them to leave because WE TOOK THE MONEY. Their agreement alone puts money into our pockets. If we told them to join or leave, you don't think the Big 12, Big East, or even Big 10 wouldn't try to give them a similar arrangement? So we should just kick them out, make less money, & take another good program away from other sports? It's mutually beneficial, it's not hurting us, & we aren't "getting punked"

The only people that could make them join a conference is the Power 5 conferences & bowl games combined. Until that day comes, it's better to have goodwill & an agreement that will get them to join eventually when they have to join.
How dare we not bow down before Notre Dame???? We are lucky they allow us to even exist. Let us be thankful to gather the crumbs that fall from their mighty table!!! Sheeesh.

Reactions: BPGhost
How dare we not bow down before Notre Dame???? We are lucky they allow us to even exist. Let us be thankful to gather the crumbs that fall from their mighty table!!! Sheeesh.
(ignores them encouraging the ACC to invite us to join)

Some of you just forget where we were and how we needed the ACC bid in 2013. What that money & security has done for our departments overall. The work TJ put in to getting us over the finish line. But some of you think that we're an ACC blue blood snob that can make demands of Notre Dame.

I always felt the Big 10 would be ND best option. I have read many times that the Big 10 did offer years ago and ND declined. Also read, that the Big 10 said it would only offer once. Now that the Big 10 has added MD, Rutgers and NE, it's apparent they [ Big 10 ] wasn't bluffing.

I always felt the Big 10 would be ND best option. I have read many times that the Big 10 did offer years ago and ND declined. Also read, that the Big 10 said it would only offer once. Now that the Big 10 has added MD, Rutgers and NE, it's apparent they [ Big 10 ] wasn't bluffing.
Honestly, I think the Big 12 would be probably their best option. Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, & WVU aren't that far. They'd definitely win a lot the schedule wouldn't be too hard, so they could still have USC & others as good non-conference games.

A conference led by Texas & Oklahoma adding Notre Dame would really boost them. I think they'd have a lot more pull in the Big 12, as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and others are firmly entrenched as their establishment.

Too much bad blood between ND and the BIG Whatever to join them. I thought ND would join the Big 12 but they picked the ACC instead. I would rather see ND shut down it's Olympic Sports teams, rather than give up it's football independence. ND will never be forced into anything and that's a proven fact. It's obvious that the University Presidents are satisfied with ND being independent in football. They have never lifted a finger against the IRISH.

There's no question that the ACC and ND mutually benefit from the association as it stands. I'd like to see that association strengthened.

If Clemson doesn't win the NC again this year, I'm in ND's canoe...

Reactions: LeFors4Ever
I have always despised the Irish as it seems the media wants them to be the Yankees or Cowboys of college football plus their arrogance as they “play” the system to always slither their way into the conversation. Now I just despised them because of Brian Kelly...

Reactions: BPGhost
Although I'm Catholic and my father was a big ND fan, I don't fundamentally like ND. But I recognize that their association with the ACC benefits the conference--which benefits us. I'm for that regardless of who the team is...

The Big Ten (Michigan) refused ND's application to the then Western Conference (Big 10) in the 1920's.

Anti-Catholic bias on the part of Michigan back then.

That forced ND to be an independent and to barnstorm all over the country, playing anyone/everyone.

Michigan then refused to play ND and tried to blackball it. It tried to get Big Ten schools to boycott ND.

From 1909 until 1978, ND and Michigan played each other...twice (1941-42)

That led to ND being...well, ND. Blame Michigan for ND not being in a conference.

ND publicly rejected the Big Ten in 1999 and has privately rejected it since then.

The Big Ten won't make an offer to ND because it knows that the offer would be refused.

The Big Ten (Michigan) refused ND's application to the then Western Conference (Big 10) in the 1920's.

Anti-Catholic bias on the part of Michigan back then.

That forced ND to be an independent and to barnstorm all over the country, playing anyone/everyone.

Michigan then refused to play ND and tried to blackball it. It tried to get Big Ten schools to boycott ND.

From 1909 until 1978, ND and Michigan played each other...twice (1941-42)

That led to ND being...well, ND. Blame Michigan for ND not being in a conference.

ND publicly rejected the Big Ten in 1999 and has privately rejected it since then.

The Big Ten won't make an offer to ND because it knows that the offer would be refused.
Yea, Terry 1999 was the year I was referring to. On a side note, I was living in C-Bus in 1995 when the ND came to town. The pre-game publicity and ink dedicated to the game was unreal. They hadn't played since 1935-36 for reasons I now forget. I do recall reading the 35-36 games were considered by many two of college football " greatest " games ever played. In fact, there was more than one documentary that chronicled both games.

But Louisville is?

Congrats on your 5 point win at home over a team that's historically bad at 2-6.

I agree with the 2nd part of your post but your initial shit comment isn't a way to endear yourself to the hosts.

Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT